Heavy duty radiator - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
I searched, but didn't see anything on that site for our rigs, at least not a price or pics..most of his stuff seems to be for Jeeps..

anyway here is everything in place..at first I thought I was going to need to drill holes in the upper mount to bolt the shroud up, but the holes actually lined up..the speed clips wouldn't work, so I used a regular bolt/nut combo..

with as hot as it's been lately, I'll be putting the capabilities of the new radiator to the test..so far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351w, Saginaw, 33X12.5x15's
Not bad for the price. I drove my Bronco for the first time (a while back) from Alamogordo, NM to Simi Valley, CA without a hiccup. Had the car packed with some gear, 3 people and a dog. It was hot as hell going across the desert in NM and AZ but the Bronco and the AC ran like a champ. I was very surprised to see it just chug along and never overheat. Ford had engineered the stock rad just fine seems like. Very happy to know that after 16 years at the time it still did it's job. Kept its cool.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
I searched, but didn't see anything on that site for our rigs, at least not a price or pics..most of his stuff seems to be for Jeeps..
Most of his clientele is jeep guys. He has one for full size trucks with gas motors. I think it listed 83 or 85 to 96. I looked when I posted that. He has a search feature. I would say call for the price though since it did not have one listed. When I talked to him he was very knowledgeable and was serious about the radiators being built to last under rough conditions.
I mainly want one to get rid of the plastic tanks.

μολὼν λαβέ
Build the best you can with what you have to work with. Quality parts and quality installation is where it all starts.
"It is idle to say that combinations of old elements cannot be inventions; substantially every invention is for such a 'combination': that is to say, it consists of former elements in a new assemblage."
Supermotors

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Last trail ride I started smelling coolant. Checked all of the hoses and couldn't find any leaks..radiator cap was good, engine wasn't burning coolant, nothing leaking around the t-stat..

puzzled I've been keeping an eye on it for the last few weeks and had to add a bit of coolant here and there. Then this past weekend I notice a trail of coolant on the steering box. I followed the trail and it went up the side of the radiator, got a shop rag and found coolant on the outer edge of the seam where the tank is welded..

Really disappointing, especially since it didn't even last 2 years...won't be buying another champion...

this one is headed for the trash, just need to decide what to buy..
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Do a search on "heatbuster". A number of us have put these in....old school copper/brass kinda radiator. Mine has been in for a decade now.

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
was looking for the heat buster, but no luck..I'd prefer something aluminum all metal, no plastic side tanks..
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Vista-Pro Ready-Rad Radiators 436009 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Heatbuster, but it's not made the same as it used to be. Probably still a good quality radiator though.

post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Erik

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco,'92 Bronco,'85 F350
My original radiator I put in was a copper/brass one from spectra I believe. Leaked like crazy. I have an all aluminum one from summit now. Advertised as summit but had some brand name on the side. So far so good but only time will tell as it hasn't been that long.
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco 348 10.5.1 E7 Ported 88 Gt roller cam retarted 5 Shorty Headers 3" after cats
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Looked at that one, and you're right they are pricey..definitely more than I wanted to spend..

This is what I wound up getting..

Ford F-150/F-250/Bronco Full Aluminum 3-Row Racing Radiator - 8 Gen

Made of High Quality Full T-6061 Aluminum Construction
Stronger & Higher Capacity for Coolant than Stock Units / Light Weight Direct Bolt-On OEM Fitment or Replacement
High Performance 3-Row Racing Design / Improves Cooling by 35 - 45% Temp.
Overall Dimension: 37.75 x 21.25 x 3 / Core Dimension: 27.5 x 18 x 2.25 / Inlet: 1.75" / Outlet: 1.75"

$190 from Amazon..

arrives next week which is good since the current one started leaking even worse...
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
New radiator arrived yesterday. This one looks nice, but so did the other one, so looks can be deceiving.

It came from a company out of Cali called DNA motoring. Not sure if they are the manufacturer or the a reseller.

Anyway, here it is. The old one is already drained, unbolted and ready to come out once I loosen the fan shroud...

One thing I'm not sure about is this petcock. It's really just a threaded plug and you can unscrew it the entire way. Never seen one like this. There was a small rubber o-ring on there that it was shipped with, but it was broken. you can see in this pic how the plug sits flush on the radiator. Has anyone ever heard of using an o-ring on a radiator drain plug?

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:11 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
Yeah that is one of the newer style drains. You will need to find an ORing for it or it will leak. There is nothing wrong with them there are plenty out there.

I wonder why the ORing was broke. Is there a burr inside the radiator seat or was it possibly over tightened?
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:13 PM
omp

Bronco Info: 96 302, 5spd, 4" lift home made with custom deavers coils, hefty shackle flip
Yes I have them on both of mine. Don't overtighten it or the oring will be shot
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Heaven View Post
Yeah that is one of the newer style drains. You will need to find an ORing for it or it will leak. There is nothing wrong with them there are plenty out there.

I wonder why the ORing was broke. Is there a burr inside the radiator seat or was it possibly over tightened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by omp View Post
Yes I have them on both of mine. Don't overtighten it or the oring will be shot
that's good to know..Didn't notice any burrs on the radiator, should the o-ring sit down inside the plug hole?
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
Yes there should be a seat surface for the oring
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Yeah, I had a spare o-ring, put it on the plug and is seemed to seat fine. In the end I decided to use the petcock from the old radiator..new radiator is in, system burped and everything seems good..no leaks. at least none that I can see right now..
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 XLT, 2.5 inch Rough Country Lift, 33" BFG's, Ranch Extended R/A's, Punisher Valve Body.
I bought one of those all aluminum rads, don't remember from who but I believe they all come from the same Chinese factory. I've had a few issues with mine:

Leaks around the radiator hose connections
Engine and trans run a tad warmer
A tiny leak developed in the core after about a year

None of these problems existed with the old factory unit which was replaced because of a tank leak. Also, the 3 row units are about the same width as the factory 2 row, which was disappointing
Do yourself a favor and get rid of that crap drain plug and replace it with one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g491360002-1_ang_r.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	77930  

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
I bought one of those all aluminum rads, don't remember from who but I believe they all come from the same Chinese factory. I've had a few issues with mine:

Leaks around the radiator hose connections
Engine and trans run a tad warmer
A tiny leak developed in the core after about a year

None of these problems existed with the old factory unit which was replaced because of a tank leak. Also, the 3 row units are about the same width as the factory 2 row, which was disappointing
Do yourself a favor and get rid of that crap drain plug and replace it with one of these.
you're right, I didn't have any of these problems with the factory unit..In fact if this one goes, I plan to spend the $$ on a better one, but hopefully it won't come to that..I can totally see the similarities between the two radiators..wouldn't surprise me a bit if they did come from the same factory...

size difference between the 3 and 4 core here..

you can see in this pic where the old one leaked. it has probably been doing it for a while..

The petcock off the old one was fine, so reusing it made the most sense..
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 AM

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco 5.8L
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
you're right, I didn't have any of these problems with the factory unit..In fact if this one goes, I plan to spend the $$ on a better one, but hopefully it won't come to that..I can totally see the similarities between the two radiators..wouldn't surprise me a bit if they did come from the same factory...

size difference between the 3 and 4 core here..

you can see in this pic where the old one leaked. it has probably been doing it for a while..

The petcock off the old one was fine, so reusing it made the most sense..

How is this raditor working out for you?

1994 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, 15x8" Raceline Rockcrusher wheels, Moog824 coil springs, Redhead steering box, (6) KYB shocks,
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
works great. no leaks, and the engine runs right in the optimal temp range..keep in mind that has as much to do with the thermostat and water pump. overall I'm happy with radiator.
Jimmyz likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode