Heavy duty radiator - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Heavy duty radiator

Looking at a getting a better radiator. The current napa job I have is ok, and my engine isn't overheating or anything. I'm sure for most stocker rigs it would be just fine, but hauling around my heavy a** Bronco with the bigger motor and tires, it just doesn't seem up to the task...Anyway, I figure a nice heavy duty radiator would be a worthwhile investment.. I'm not looking to spend $500, but here a couple I came up with. thoughts?

5.8 liter V8 RADIATOR All Aluminum 3-Row Desert Cooler - $230

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...aia_id=1106086

5.8 liter V8 RADIATOR 4-Row Copper/Brass HD Radiator - $300

OneLostCowboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Interested too.

tim
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 PM

Bronco Info: 94 C150 prerunner 351/zf/maf. To many mods to list.
The aluminum one mentions posible moving mounts due to thickness. The copper/brass one mentions no such thing. I like the aluminum one myself but im a sucker for shiny parts.

It's not custom if you bought it from a catalog!
Visit my build thread- http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=211825

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
I had a copper/brass one in my 88 for a long time I got from NAPA for $300 and I bet its the same one u linked. it was crap and I had a lot of problems with it. took it to get repaired 3 times an it was one heavy mofo. it did cool some better than aluminum but not worth it and it seemed to be much harder to clean the mud out of it. the angles radiator cap made it kinda awkward to fill. id defiantly stick with a good aluminum, make sure you have a fan shroud, and maybe a HD fan clutch.

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 PM

Bronco Info: 93 xlt 5.8 Bassani headers and 3" Bassani exhaust. 4" Tuff Countrylift 33/12.50/15 BFG A/T's
Search a little more on that Aluminum one I picked up one just like it for about half the price listed. It is made in CHINA but pretty much disposable at 130 bucks. Supplier listed as Heavy duty for 5.0, 5.8, and 7.6..
Holds about twice the amount of coolant as stock one. If I can find the receipt I will post the supplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
Looking at a getting a better radiator. The current napa job I have is ok, and my engine isn't overheating or anything. I'm sure for most stocker rigs it would be just fine, but hauling around my heavy a** Bronco with the bigger motor and tires, it just doesn't seem up to the task...Anyway, I figure a nice heavy duty radiator would be a worthwhile investment.. I'm not looking to spend $500, but here a couple I came up with. thoughts?

5.8 liter V8 RADIATOR All Aluminum 3-Row Desert Cooler

5.8 liter V8 RADIATOR 4-Row Copper/Brass HD Radiator

If it has Tits or Wheels it will give you problems!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBfab View Post
The aluminum one mentions posible moving mounts due to thickness. The copper/brass one mentions no such thing. I like the aluminum one myself but im a sucker for shiny parts.
I noticed that. Even the aftermarket one I got from napa had some mounting issues at the top. particularly with the fan shroud. I'm sure it's not anything I couldn't overcome with some minor mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
I had a copper/brass one in my 88 for a long time I got from NAPA for $300 and I bet its the same one u linked. it was crap and I had a lot of problems with it. took it to get repaired 3 times an it was one heavy mofo. it did cool some better than aluminum but not worth it and it seemed to be much harder to clean the mud out of it. the angles radiator cap made it kinda awkward to fill. id defiantly stick with a good aluminum, make sure you have a fan shroud, and maybe a HD fan clutch.
that's the info I was looking for on the copper/brass job..and I noticed the angle of the fill neck. not sure why they would do that. I do have a fan shroud and HD clutch, so I'm all set there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93BIGBLACKBRONCO View Post
Search a little more on that Aluminum one I picked up one just like it for about half the price listed. It is made in CHINA but pretty much disposable at 130 bucks. Supplier listed as Heavy duty for 5.0, 5.8, and 7.6..
Holds about twice the amount of coolant as stock one. If I can find the receipt I will post the supplier.
I'd rather have something that's going to last longer. If it costs a little more $$ that's not a big deal.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
I have the brass one (with the angled fill) that you could get from adanvce auto at one point, not sure if you still can. Mine has been fine and I have not had issues with it at all. I tried to get one like it for my 96 f-250 and they were all damaged when they came in and then they said they could not get them anymore.

I put a champion (ebay) aluminum radiator in my f-250. I have been happy with it, fit right up with no issues. It also keeps the 460 cooler with the a/c running on the hot days, enough it was noticable as I also have a gauge with numbers on it on that truck.

After having both for awhile I would most likely buy another champion one without much thought. I also have one in two of my ATV's from them and they have been fine as well.
Another thought I had would be to get a 7.5L truck radiator if its any different then what you have, I put the f-250's in my 92 f-150 5.0 with the shroud from a 351 and it works a lot better, but that truck had the thin one stock, Im not sure the 7.5l trucks radiator is any bigger then a bronco with a 5.8 in it.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
good info.. thanks Crazy..makes me lean towards the aluminum style..one thing I was looking for is the capacity on the radiator. I didn't see anything in the specs about that.

for the 7.5, they list the copper/brass style but no aluminum..this one is a 4 row

1994 FORD F-250 SUPER CAB - 7.5 liter V8 RADIATOR 4-Row Copper/Brass HD Radiator

Core Thickness (in):2.625 in.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
On the copper/brass 4 row, the thickness on the 5.8 and 7.5 is the same.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Maybe this is just me, But unless it starts running hot when your heavy on the gas I wouldn't worry about it. That being said I would probably go with a radiator meant for a 460 or something Like that that was offered stock. The aluminum radiators are nice but it seems like alot of money for something few people can fix if it ever leaks.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
Maybe this is just me, But unless it starts running hot when your heavy on the gas I wouldn't worry about it. That being said I would probably go with a radiator meant for a 460 or something Like that that was offered stock. The aluminum radiators are nice but it seems like alot of money for something few people can fix if it ever leaks.
That's just it, with my current set up, it does start to get a bit warm when I'm heavy on the gas, I've noticed it more since we've had a couple of 90 degree days already..the existing radiator is a $130 deal from napa, which I'm sure would be fine on a stock motor running small tires. I think it's at it's limit..

For $230 I can get the 3 row aluminum and for $300 the 4 row..

for some reason they both recommend electric fans for that core size...anyone know why?
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Ford Hoarder

Not sure on the electric fans. I have ran both of mine with the stock fans and they are both fine.
I also now run my copper/brass one with e-fans and it seems to cool fine like that as well hard to say if its better then the cltuched fan, I did a bunch of other stuff at the same time

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Not sure on the electric fans. I have ran both of mine with the stock fans and they are both fine.
I also now run my copper/brass one with e-fans and it seems to cool fine like that as well hard to say if its better then the cltuched fan, I did a bunch of other stuff at the same time
perfect that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

were yours 3 or 4 row?
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
this is the NAPA copper/brass one I got.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...335_0240352060

they still do have a similar at Advance Auto and its a lot cheaper than NAPAs
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...hTerm=radiator

some reason when you search for them, they never seem to come up unless you choose a 302 of an older year like an ~88. but they will work still

id rather replace an aluminum radiator than repair a copper/brass. if you replace it you can be back on the road same day. if you repair it then your gonna be down a few days. and it isn't very cheap to repair either. plus from what I was told when getting mine worked on, if a core is leaking, they usually just disable that core so then you loose cooling. and a aluminum one from a local part store is lifetime warranty usually anyways

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Ford Hoarder

The 460 truck has a 3 row aluminum the 92 bronco has the 4 row copper/brass.... They were out of the 4 row and could not give me a date on when they would be back in stock.

That is some good info on what to tell them you got, but are they the same? I thought the coolant line going to the throttle body was different between the 302 and 5.8 & 460. I had to plug this port on the 460 one I put in my 5.0 truck. However the 5.8 one is just like the 460 one

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
I'm not concerned with the throttle body cooling line, mine went in the trash years ago..

I've emailed the company to check on the coolant capacity of all three, but I'm leaning towards the 3 core aluminum.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
That's just it, with my current set up, it does start to get a bit warm when I'm heavy on the gas, I've noticed it more since we've had a couple of 90 degree days already..the existing radiator is a $130 deal from napa, which I'm sure would be fine on a stock motor running small tires. I think it's at it's limit..

For $230 I can get the 3 row aluminum and for $300 the 4 row..

for some reason they both recommend electric fans for that core size...anyone know why?
Probably to pull more airflow at idle if needed.
Quote:
I'm not concerned with the throttle body cooling line, mine went in the trash years ago..

I've emailed the company to check on the coolant capacity of all three, but I'm leaning towards the 3 core aluminum.
If yours is just the stock 2 row I think anything would be an upgrade, but my inner voice says get as many rows as you can.

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
Probably to pull more airflow at idle if needed.

If yours is just the stock 2 row I think anything would be an upgrade, but my inner voice says get as many rows as you can.

Not sure what I have in there now, but you're probably right that it is a 2 row..I'm leaning towards the 4 row as well..can't hurt.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
FYI, this was the response from the radiator company when I asked whether there was a difference in coolant capacity.

All coolant capacity is same as dealer recommended. Can check your manual and or contact a dealership to see how much fluid to use in your cooling system (it does not change radiator to radiator for the same vehicle)

so, I take that to mean it uses the same amount of coolant...that doesn't make sense to me..if you get a thicker core you would expect it to hold more...no??
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
FYI, this was the response from the radiator company when I asked whether there was a difference in coolant capacity.

All coolant capacity is same as dealer recommended. Can check your manual and or contact a dealership to see how much fluid to use in your cooling system (it does not change radiator to radiator for the same vehicle)

so, I take that to mean it uses the same amount of coolant...that doesn't make sense to me..if you get a thicker core you would expect it to hold more...no??
Not necessarily. I would presume that instead of 2 thick cores they would have 3 or 4 thinner cores. Because you have more cores you have more surface area exposed to the air and therefore better cooling despite the fact that the cores are smaller. If the cores were the same size on a 3 or 4 core radiator as they are on stock 2 core radiators they would be huge.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode