• 1 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 1 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 1 Post By forbye
  • 1 Post By offroadgearhead
  • 1 Post By jermil01
  • 1 Post By jermil01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
dealing with leaking drip rails

i've had my bronco close to 2 years now and have had leaks the entire time. since i live in texas we don't get THAT much rain usually, so i just park in the garage when it rains and i remember.

the leak would manifest itself as water in the door sill. what threw me off, though, was that it usually took a pretty good rain to leak. and sometimes it would leak towards the front of the cab and others it would be towards the back. i still don't rule out my windshield leaking but i think it varied because maybe the way i was parked (the angle of the bronco when it rained)

for a good while now, i've had the interior panels stripped trying to see where it was leaking. over the summer with the top off, i noticed a pretty good tear/hole on the drive side window drip rail. today i had some time and removed the interior panel behind the seat belt. it was an "ah-ha moment" for sure. and for the record, i'd looked at the drip rail before but hadn't seen the worst part because it was covered by the camper shell. and, really, i didn't think it looked that bad. but, obviously i was wrong.

i have researched and seen a couple options.
1) permanent fix - cut apart the body, do some welding, reinforcing, and painting.
2) semi-permanent/long temporary - silicone, rtv, or some other flexible sealing agent.

i prefer a permanent fix but don't have the time to do it before winter. so, i'm hoping for a very temporary solution that will last a few months. then, in the spring/summer, i'll either go with the semi-permanent fix or (hopefully) the permanent fix. i used 1" wide gorilla tape.

here are the pics.

445 FE Bronco likes this.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:13 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
well... it should buy you some time anyway. I'd bet my white '90 has similar cracks. damn floors always wet and obviously led to the cancer spot at the bottom corner of the body, by the rear of the pass. door. at least you caught it.
dash_cam likes this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
I dig the gorilla tape fix...you'd fit right in down here...

yours isn't all that bad, now, but you're still going to have to dig into to it to fix it right. will mean pulling the trim from the inside cutting holes and reinforcing the corners of the drip rail from the inside. you're going to need to grind out all the old seam sealer, weld up any holes, then re-seal it..

it's time consuming to do it right. I've got a bunch of pics on supermotors that detailed my work..granted I wasn't overly concerned about the quality of the paint..just wanted to stop any further rust. that wa a little over two years ago and I'm getting ready to have to do it again..

If you're not running a soft top it should last longer..

1992 Ford Bronco Body Work and Rust Repair including drip rail R&R pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
dash_cam likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 09:36 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo,
For a quick solution until springtime, you can use 3M seam sealer for the drip rails and especially the sail panel to 1/4 panel joint.
http://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-an...lk/167027_0_0/
Price: $ 14.99
"Dynatron™ Seam Sealer is a fast-skinning, permanently elastic, non-sagging formulation that is Brushable and paintable. Provides excellent adhesion to bare metal or painted surfaces and is a non-staining, all-purpose auto body joint and seam sealer.
Fast-skinning
Permanently elastic
Non sagging
Brushable and paintable
Provides excellent adhesion to bare metal or painted surfaces
Non-staining"

Read reviews @ Dynatron™ Seam Sealer
dash_cam likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!

Last edited by miesk5; 11-14-2016 at 09:38 AM. Reason: One of those days...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:06 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
I played around with welding up the drip rails on my 91 roof, came out nice but the roof was trashed anyhow so i replaced it. It turned out to be not too bad a job once i got into it.
dash_cam likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i'll update this to say...the leaking has been reduced, but not stopped. i found that i have a leaky front windshield seal on the side but down toward the bottom on the driver side. i can pour water over that and it will appear in my floorboard.

for now, i'm going to spray seal it. i talked to some windshield installers and they want $100 to remove it and reinstall it. one guy said he could fix the leak without removing it for a little less, but i'm not sure i want to pay for that. that's what i'm going to do myself for the cost of materials. ha!
BikerPepe` likes this.

my "build" thread
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 89 Custom, 5.0, auto, 6" BDS , 35" Mickey Thompson's,
I have worked in the glass and body industry for 30 years. A pin hole in the seam sealer will create a huge water leak. This was a problem when a lot of these rigs were new. I fixed a lot for the local Ford dealer. 3M makes a clear seam sealer that does wonders. Just clean everything good first.
BikerPepe` and dash_cam like this.

I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Fullsize Member

As we are talking about this a 92 F-250 rolls into my shop and is asking about his w/s leaking. Upon inspection of the w/s I pointed out to the owner that his problem was the drip rails. Sealed them with some clear 3M seam sealer and the leak is gone.
dash_cam likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What about something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-1...6891/206156418

my "build" thread
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
When I was prepping the '90 for sale, I used a finger application of E6000 to seal the drip rail leaks. It dries clear, so color match isn't an issue.
The stuff stays somewhat pliable but sticks to everything and holds up against the elements so well... many snowmobiler's use it to repair tracks with busted lugs.
I tried it on my sled track and it held up through an entire season of riding and beyond... but I stopped riding so I can't say how long it would have continued to last.
Point being... used for this application (location, exposure, abuse), I figured it should outlast the paint, if not the whole rig.

The weirdest part is... it's generally bought by little old ladies for arts and crafts work. Probably one of the most underestimated products I've ever ran across.

Obviously it's not the best OEM repair... but for a patch repair that should last, I think it's great stuff.
I've got the same cracks on the '95 that I'll be trying it out on again.
dash_cam likes this.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadgearhead View Post
As we are talking about this a 92 F-250 rolls into my shop and is asking about his w/s leaking. Upon inspection of the w/s I pointed out to the owner that his problem was the drip rails. Sealed them with some clear 3M seam sealer and the leak is gone.

this stuff?

3M 8551 - Clear Auto Sealer | O'Reilly Auto Parts

my "build" thread
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
When I was prepping the '90 for sale, I used a finger application of E6000 to seal the drip rail leaks. It dries clear, so color match isn't an issue.
The stuff stays somewhat pliable but sticks to everything and holds up against the elements so well... many snowmobiler's use it to repair tracks with busted lugs.
I tried it on my sled track and it held up through an entire season of riding and beyond... but I stopped riding so I can't say how long it would have continued to last.
Point being... used for this application (location, exposure, abuse), I figured it should outlast the paint, if not the whole rig.

The weirdest part is... it's generally bought by little old ladies for arts and crafts work. Probably one of the most underestimated products I've ever ran across.

Obviously it's not the best OEM repair... but for a patch repair that should last, I think it's great stuff.
I've got the same cracks on the '95 that I'll be trying it out on again.

i thought of that stuff was comparable to shoe-goo

my "build" thread
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
I've used shoe-goo and trust me... E6000 makes that stuff look like silly putty.
seriously... I think everyone should have some in the shop... like bailin' wire and ductape.

even if you don't use it on this issue... get some. it's cheap and you can give it a try with some other things.
I nearly laughed at the guys on the sledding forum when they suggested it... but I dug around and found a few documented uses.
I was so impressed, I ordered up a tube online and have been keeping one in the shop ever since.
dash_cam likes this.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:26 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 XLT 5.0, AODE, K&N Hot Air Intake, Motorsport Headers, 3" Dynomax Exhaust
Steve83 went the next step and cleared all of the factory installed expanding foam and repurposed a-pillar drains to keep water from collecting.

dash_cam likes this.

"I can't say that a '90 is going to change your mind about Fords... That era of truck isn't known for exceptional reliability or simplicity of maintenance" Steve83
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
Yep that's the stuff!
dash_cam likes this.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbye View Post
Steve83 went the next step and cleared all of the factory installed expanding foam and repurposed a-pillar drains to keep water from collecting.

I removed those in my rig, guess what happens if you go through deep water?
dash_cam likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Interesting. I need to check the 3M stuff out.

thanks
tim
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
alright, well i gave up hope of getting these rails repaired properly in the near future. with that in mind i broke down and bought the 3M clear auto sealer - 08551. i did the drip rails and where i saw cracks in the sheet metal at the end of the seams. i took a couple other pictures but they didn't come out properly.

the 3M stuff went on great. not too runny except a couple spots. i did it yesterday afternoon. this morning the seams were pretty firm. i am going to touch up a couple spots in a day or two.

one note - i did notice that there were air bubbles along all of the cracks. it's particularly noticeable on the drip rail. is that normal?

3M Clear Auto Sealer 08551

my "build" thread
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
looks like that will do the trick until you can get around to a more permanent fix..as far as the air bubbles on the drip rail I think that's pretty common, as long as it's not rust. If I remember correctly mine had them too..I'm sure that sealer was slapped on there when they were on the line and no one worried how it looked..
dash_cam likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
well...a little update here. the truck still leaks on both sides. i knew the windshield on the driver side leaked. i determined this weekend that the passenger side also leaks. i took some pics to show you what i'm dealing with.

because i've FINALLY confirmed that the windshield is leaking on both sides, i decided to go ahead and reinstall all my interior trim. i've had the kick panels in my attic for probably a year and the pieces behind my seat belt were off since last fall.

for now i'm just gonna let it ride since it's not a huge issue. however, i think i want to get the windshield professionally removed and reinstalled. there are no chips or cracks in it, so no need to replace it. i have called a few folks and it looks like it'd be about $100. i'm just reluctant to gob more sealant on it. it just seems like it'll go right back to leaking in no time.

this is the passenger side

and then the driver side

my "build" thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode