Dual Battery Setup 92-96 - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Ive been thru all that. Im not going to use an isolator.

As for the Fuse, it is required. The Stock charge cable has a fuseable link in it to prevent a fire if it shorts out, so that is replaced by the megafuse.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelbur View Post
Many alternators can be killed if the charging line is disconnected, as the voltage jumps up and kills the regulator. Some have a current dump to protect the alternator. Check to see if yours can be damaged by an open in the charging line. If it can, I would eliminate the fuse in the charging line. The same goes for your earlier designs where breakers and switches could dead end the charging current.

I am more familiar with dual battery setups in boats. There, the charging line would typically go directly to one battery, and a combiner would be used to combine the two batteries when charging is happening. When the voltage drops below about 13.3 volts the combiner separates the batteries. In your latest set up your two batteries will likely die together. If you separated them and attached a combiner between them they would be independent. A combiner is also called a charge relay. Isolators are seldom used anymore on boats because of the voltage drop they cause and the fancyness needed to correct for it.
The Fuse is required. The factory wiring has fuseable links on the charging wire. You have to use a fuse to replace those. Its been well documented over the years from numerous knowledgeable sources.

The isolator and combiner are not required either. With the high amp alternator and the way I run my vehicle and my stereo, I will never have issues with the batteries getting drawn down, as I only draw lots of power when the vehicle is running.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer
Garage
I love seeing good craftsmanship, great job making it work in a great way!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode