Engine rebuild or replace? - Ford Bronco Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351
Engine rebuild or replace?

I pulled the engine a year ago and resealed it due to a head gasket leak. I did a fiberglass body swap quite a bit of other work at the same time.

I now am losing oil pressure when the engine is warmed up. 5.8 with 150Kish miles. I have confirmed it is a pressure issue and not a sensor issue with a mechanical gauge. There are several other issues that I didnt address well last year including not sleeving the crank at the rear main seal so it still leaks.

My issue now is that I know the engine is coming out, but I dont know if I should replace it or rebuild it. I will be doing the pull and replacement in my shop. I have all the tools I need and a nice warm space to work. Reliability is my top priority. If I dont get one extra pony but have a perfectly reliable truck, I will be very happy.

Replace: Advantage here is that I can have the new motor sitting there when I pull the current motor. I can pull my bronco into my shop on a Friday night and have it back on the road by Monday morning.

Rebuild: I like having a local shop that I can go to if I have issue.

Anything I am missing on either side here? I have a decent but still limited budget for this work. Money I save on the motor itself can go into an intake etc. If one option will save me significantly, I will do it.

If replace, where is best place to buy?

If rebuild, anyone know a good shop in Northern Virginia?

Thanks
Drooopy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Some of it is personal preference. Cost-wise, it's probably pretty even.
If you get a local shop to do it, and they have a good reputation, you will probably be waiting up to 3 months. It's still no guarantee that "stuff" won't happen....and that they will stand behind it. From personal experience, I had a local shop (racing engine specialty) do my 5.8. It leaked from day one. They paid to have the rear main seal replaced, but said they were "done". So the rest of the leaks I fixed. Also, they installed a mass air cam in my '89. I paid out of pocket to convert it as I was not about to pull the engine back out.

I had 3 different shops in Woodbridge do machine work for me. They all did a decent job.

Between the 2 options, my vote would be for a crate engine. They mass produce their end product and depend on good results/reputation ...if they want to sell engines. It's also faster. The truck isn't going to sit around for months ....waiting.

Another option is to find a good used core and have that rebuilt. Drive the old engine till it dies or until the core is rebuilt. Then do the swap. One drawback is you would then have your old engine sitting around. That's an issue if you have limited storage.

I got a really good deal on my Ford factory reman. The local dealer was competitive with Jegs etc.

Click HERE to visit my frame-off NOS restoration thread.

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
I picked up my long block locally for about $1550. Walked in with the core, walked out with the motor, 10 mins total.

Theres alot to do to make sure its going to last though, while its all apart. Especially if there is a sludge problem. I had to soak all my intake parts and timing cover in the machine shop hot tank for 2 weeks, and it still took me over 8 hours to get them clean enough to paint. I ended up bead blasting everything. That was the only way to get it clean enough.

Make sure you rebuild your fuel injectors. Address any wiring issues. I took all the wiring looms apart, cleaned all the connectors and terminals and wires. Soaked them in a heavy Dawn/water mixture. Dried them all off, put them back together with new wiring loom and fabric tape.

Clean up your distributor too. I took mine completely apart, and bead blasted it, put it all back together with a new PIP sensor and it has worked fantastic.

You most likely will have to sleeve your balancer, and replace the front timing cover seal. thats alot of fun.

Getting sludge out of the PCV system in the upper intake is fun too. Get test tube brushes from amazon, cut the loop handle off and run them in your drill. makes quick work of it. Lots of brake kleen.

I would also get a new Motorcraft TPS, IAC, and any other sensors. Replace the radiator, heater core, flush the transmission lines. Clean up and paint the engine cross member with POR15.

You could also do the saginaw PS swap while its out.

Attention to detail will save you alot of time later on. I would also get a Complete set of bolts. you will also have to chase all the threads on the new engine block. You would think they do that but NOPE. If you get a bolt set, remember the oil pan bolts on a bronco are longer because of the stud girdle. So most bolt kits are too short. Also you can get the water pump bolt kit at any parts store.

Make sure the engine builder uses NEW head bolts. If it comes in with used bolts on it, replace them with ARP and put in a new head gasket.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:43 AM

I would also go for create engine for less headaches.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
A crate engine would be a new ford built engine. That would be most expensive but also likely to be best quality.

After that you could pay a machine shop to rebuild it for you. Those are good but don't guarantee no problems. And the warranty will probably be limited.

Then, if you're a big city, you should be able to find a high volume machine shop / engine builder company. They'll do high volume, low cost rebuilds and probably offer a better warranty than a small machine shop.

After that, you'll have the option to rebuild yourself. You can pay either a small machine shop (more expensive) or a high volume shop (less expensive ) to do the machine work and rebuild your heads. Then you assemble everything yourself in your garage. That'll be your cheapest option. And as long as you get the right size bearings and pistons, you shouldn't run into any problems.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input. I am looking at local shops and not coming up with a lot. I have one I am still waiting to hear from that originally said 1500 to 1800 but dont know what all that includes.

I am also looking at long blocks. I dont know if many builders locally. What is the general opinion of ATK engines? Price for a "high durability" long block on Rock Auto is just under 2K with shipping. Should leave enough in the budget for a new intake. Edelbrock 3881 looks good but pricey. Any good alternatives?

Already done the Sag swap, SS headers/Bassani Y; New timing Cover that will get a new seal again. Will look into injector rebuild, new balancer, and into getting away from the OEM oil cooler.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:11 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Ford Bronco 4X4 351W
I used S&J for my remanufactured 351W. About $1800 delivered with 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90 XLT 4X4
351W E4OD
266k miles (now 0 miles with new engine)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, ZF5/205 swapped 14b rear on 37 iroks
I second s&j, got my 351w long block from em. Cost me a bit more than jonD, i had them port/polish thebl heads plus powered up on the cam/valves/lifters and had them give me a bit extra compression. Motors been going strong for about 1.5 yrs and i beat on er. Only thing failed was a rocker stud broke but i was also 5800 rpm in the mud lol
JonD likes this.

1984 Bronco Xlt, SAS 4.11, 351w w/ truck avenger 670 and headers
http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/elliott000/slideshow/
https://www.youtube.com/user/ehumpy
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo drooopy,
Consider Ford Remanufactured Engines - Motorcraft® Brand, Broncos & all Ford
Halli wrote on 30 DEC 2010 that for a Ford Reman 5.8l long block it is 2308.00 exchange. 2210.00 for a 5.0; These are Ford dealer prices in the Mid-South Reman 5.0 = $1914.56
JR Nice wrote on 5 MAY 2012, Ford crate 5.0 H.O was about $1900. My local rebuild on my 5.8 was about $2300.
radiolotek wrote on 19 May 2012, $2300. For a complete assembly (1995 5.8)

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...s%2Fptm200.pdf
(19MB pdf)

get some estimates from the Distributors listed in Catalog e), local & WWW Ford dealers, etc.
=======

Here is a sample latest RETAIL price from Ford Parts on-line; see if local or on-line dealer will discount;
Such as;
https://consumerlink.oeconnection.com/91554453363118850 (suggested by JScatt!)
- REMAN.ENGINE ASSEMBLY, LONG Block, 5.8L, Bronco, MSRP $2,595.69 core $400.00 total $2,336.12
https://consumerlink.oeconnection.co...20B&isFPP=True

Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com
1994 Ford Bronco 5.8L - 8Cyl, 4WD
Engine Complete Assembly $2,595.69
Select a dealer for CURRENT prices & availability

-------------

Ford has a good guarantee and the Qual is up there. And the Ford reman trannys/engines do not need to be installed by a Ford Dealer
Ford 3-Year/Unlimited-Mile Warranty – No Commercial Exceptions
"Ford remanufactured transmissions are covered by a 3-year/unlimited-mile warranty.*
All warranties are backed by Ford Motor Company and supported by more than 3,000 Ford and Lincoln Dealerships nationwide, or at originating place of service.
Plus, unlike those of some competitors, the warranty is good for fleet vehicles. That means you get the same advantages and coverage for commercial use, with no exceptions.

*See dealer for limited-warranty details.
See complete limited-warranty statement
FordParts.com

Here is a C&P;
"LIMITED WARRANTY STATEMENT (FOR RETAIL SALES ON OR AFTER 9/1/2010) Ford and Motorcraft ® New and Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines
Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48121 (“Ford”) provides the following Limited Warranty on Ford and Motorcraft ® New and Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines to Ford and Lincoln Dealers (each being a “Dealer”) or general Installers (each being an “Installer”). This Limited Warranty provides Ford will credit the Dealer or Installer for repairing or replacing, at Ford’s option, any Ford or Motorcraft ® Transmission or Gas Engine sold by Ford in the United States that is found to be defective in factory- supplied material or workmanship subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:
Retail Customers: To obtain warranty service, please return your vehicle to any Ford or Lincoln Dealership or return to the Installer who originally installed the Ford or Motorcraft ® Gas Engine or Transmission Assembly in your vehicle. Please have your original dated receipt for purchase verification.
Gas Engine Long Block Assemblies (6006/6007/6V006/6V012) and Transmission Assemblies (7000/7V000/7002/7003)
• For 36 months from warranty start date (unlimited miles), Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under another towing insurance coverage
Short Blocks (6009/6V009), Cylinder Heads (6049/6V049), Camshafts (6250) and Crankshaft Kits (6303/6V303) for Gas Engines
• 12 months or 12,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under another towing insurance coverage
Warranty Start Date
• Ford and Motorcraft® New and Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines installed by the Dealer or Installer — warranty begins on the date of sale from the Ford or Lincoln Dealership or Ford Motor Company’s Factory Authorized Powertrain Distributor
Limitations to the Warranty
The following limitation applies to the products covered by this Limited Warranty:
• Towing charges are not reimbursable for Ford and Motorcraft® Transmissions and Gas Engines sold over-the-counter by a Dealer or Installer
How to obtain Limited Warranty coverage for Ford and Motorcraft® Transmissions and Gas Engines sold over-the- counter by a Dealer or Installer:
This statement applies to over-the-counter customers of a Dealer or Installer, such as a retail customer or fleet customer. The Dealer or Installer can claim both parts and labor under the Limited Warranty if the retail customer, at his/her option,
• Returns the vehicle to the Installer (from which the assembly or component was purchased) or to any Dealer for repairs, or
• Returns the Ford or Motorcraft ® New or Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine to the Installer (from which the assembly or component was purchased) or to any Dealer for repairs
NOTES:
• This Limited Warranty may be honored by the original Installer or any Dealer (even though that particular Dealer was not the original purchaser/seller of the product) • In order for the Dealer or Installer to claim under the Limited Warranty, the Dealer, Installer or customer (whether original customer or subsequent transferee) must provide the original owner’s repair order or sales slip when repairs are requested
• Only new Ford Original Equipment, Ford Authorized Remanufactured, or other parts or assemblies authorized by Ford may be used to complete covered warranty repairs
• Installer labor reimbursement is calculated using Ford Labor Times Standard hours multiplied by the selling Dealership’s warranty labor rate or the Installer’s actual labor total, whichever is less
• Diagnostic steps taken to determine cause of warrantied concern with diagnostic results must be clearly documented on Installer repair order. (Warranty parts and labor reimbursement requests must be supported by diagnostic labor steps and test results)
• All parts replaced under warranty must be returned to your selling Dealer
THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER FORD OR MOTORCRAFT ® REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSIONS AND GAS ENGINES THAT FAIL DUE TO ABUSE, MISUSE, NEGLECT, ALTERATION, ACCIDENT, RACING, OR PARTS AND ACCESSORIES INSTALLED IN VEHICLES OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED IN FORD AUTHORIZED CATALOGS INCLUDING OTHER FORD MOTOR COMPANY BRANDS, OR THE USE OF NON-FORD PARTS, OR LACK OF PROPER MAINTENANCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER PARTS WHICH ARE REPLACED AS PART OF NORMAL MAINTENANCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER REPEAT REPAIRS PERFORMED AS A RESULT OF A MISDIAGNOSIS OR IMPROPER PRIOR REPAIR. TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, LOSS OF TIME, INCONVENIENCE, LOSS OF THE USE OF THE VEHICLE, COMMERCIAL LOSS, AND INCIDENTAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARE NOT COVERED. THERE IS NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THESE FORD AND MOTORCRAFT ® NEW AND REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSIONS AND GAS ENGINES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS IS LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS WRITTEN LIMITED WARRANTY.
To retain the safety and dependability built into this product, it is essential that your Ford or Motorcraft ® Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine receives the scheduled maintenance at the recommended intervals contained in your vehicle Owner’s Manual/ Maintenance Schedule.
Rev. Date: 5/8/13"
Richard729 and dash_cam like this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 .040 Roller Cam X heads JBA headers 4" Skyjacker 33s 4:11s L/S rear Tru Trac front E4OD
The F4 roller blocks are getting scarce. I would take the time to rebuild your existing block.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Got a quote on a factory rebuild. Came in around $2150 +tax.

Got the name of one other local builder from 2 different people so I will be calling them tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 302 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by drooopy View Post
Got a quote on a factory rebuild. Came in around $2150 +tax.

Got the name of one other local builder from 2 different people so I will be calling them tomorrow.

I would be surprised if a local builder would be as thorough as a re-manufacturer. I replaced my 302 with a re-manufactured long block that had better oil pressure than the original Ford engine had new. A neighbor also had a Bronco. He decided to get a Ford re-man long block. He had all sorts of problems. They finally figured out that his valve stem clearances were too small and the valves would not close properly. A new set of heads solved his problem. He did have a good warranty.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 35"bfg AT, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie locker, HS9500, sliders
Garage
I have also been burned by a shop that came highly recommended. My rebuild ran $2400 and that was at a discount. motor went 20k when I lost the bottom end. machine shop said my TC ballooned and caused the failure. I then spent another 1200 having another shop regrind the crank, install new cam bearings and I reassembled the motor with new rings, bearings etc. so far so good but only 5000 miles on that build.

so I guess where I am going with this is whats your time worth to you for one. and two can you handle not driving the bronco for awhile if you go the machine shop route. ask them questions about how they would back up their work down the road before you commit to anything.

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

I have time.....sorta. I dont need the Bronco really. I have a brand new 250 that work pays for. Downside is the on call calls at 230am.

However, if I am going to be able to do the work inside my shop, it needs to be a weekend swap. Pushing it up and down the ramp into the shop isnt going to happen and I cannot leave it in there through the week. Can do the work outside, but...

Really trying to decide between Ford and ATK at this point.

Also, my lower intake is warped and I need/want to replace it. Edelbrock look sweet but at $800 i am not sure it is worth it. Opinions?

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:53 PM
Thread Killa

junkyard has complete truck intakes for under $50. they are the same on vans and trucks.

"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by drooopy View Post
Really trying to decide between Ford and ATK at this point.
I've had very good luck with my Ford reman. (It went into a resto-mod, not the Bronco)

As far as the Ford price....it might be cheaper if you can find a business to buy through. I had a friend with a shop, which I could have used. I got a good price on mine because I kept their parts department in business with all my Fords.

Also, I might "shop" the price by calling several Ford dealers (playing dumb) and tell them that another dealer quoted you $xxx, an it seems high.

Click HERE to visit my frame-off NOS restoration thread.

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
junkyard has complete truck intakes for under $50. they are the same on vans and trucks.
I realize I can get a used one pretty cheap. No guarantee it will be much better than my current one. Found a new old stock factory for $195. Worth the extra to me to know its good.

Looking for opinions on if the edelbrock is worth the extra $600. I have already opened the exhaust up to 3 in. Would opening up the intake do much for me?

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
I've not seen anything negative about the quality of the edelbrock. The only gripe I've seen is price. Isn't there a knockoff out there for significantly less?

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
I've not seen anything negative about the quality of the edelbrock. The only gripe I've seen is price. Isn't there a knockoff out there for significantly less?

I think I have seen the knockoff but reviews seemed pretty terrible.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Thread Killa

Since you have a 351, the aftermarket Edelbrock intake is a pretty nice upgrade. The runners on the stock unit are oval, and small compared to the large square ports on the edelbrock intake. So it will flow much better than your stock intake. The bottleneck now will be the heads. So at least you will have done all you can for flow on the intake side.

This picture is the 302 on the left and 351 on the right. The edelbrock is bored out almost exactly like the 302.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode