Need advice...add 1/4" spacers under coils? - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kingfish999
  • 1 Post By Bruners4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 5.8L XLT, E40D auto, Warn manual hubs, push button 4WD
Need advice...add 1/4" spacers under coils?

I have a '96 that has all stock suspension. I am thinking about straight axle conversion, or just improve the twin traction beam setup. Not quite ready to go one way or the other just yet (probably a good year out), but I did just put new tires on. I had 31" highway tires on the Ford 10-hole alloys, and went to BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2's, 33x10.5. I was getting it aligned at a good alignment shop, and they said they can't align it until I change the radius arm bushings as they are shot (the rest of the front gear they said was ok). I have it disassembled with the arms pulled forward and old bushings off, and ready to go back together, but I'm thinking about adding something. The truck has the usual factory low front rake, and I was thinking about trying to gain a little bit of front end lift when putting it back together. Just a little improvement until whatever way I go ultimately with the TTB or a straight axle.

I was looking at part #33535 at Bronco Graveyard. These are 1/4" tall, flat, solid shims that go under the lower coil spring mounts on top of the beams. Some descriptions I read of other styles, say that shims will get a front end rise of 2-3 times the thickness of the spacers. I was thinking of adding 1 or maybe 2 of these 1/4" spacers on each side. Can anyone advise me on this, and what kind of rise do you think I would get from these? Any improvement would help until the big change ultimately happens next year. If this is sound, should I do one 1/4" spacer, or two of them on each side? Or should I blow this idea off? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
i bought them. i couldnt get more than 2 in before the threads of the stud were too short to start the nut. honestly it wouldnt really rasie it enough to be noticeable, a whole 1/2". if you arnt sure about keeping the TTB then get a 1" or 1.5" solid spacer kit. 2" makes it hard to get alignment. there like 40$ and come with a stud extension
CDA 455 likes this.

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Thanks for the info. Is there a particular vendor you could recommend for a kit like that?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Daystar makes a 2" leveling kit with the extended studs. It is polyurethane. I wish I had measure the heights before I took it all apart. Now I wonder if 2" would be too much. Their web site doesn't offer a shorter one for the 96 bronco.
I think I'd like to do an inch or 1.5 like you say, so I can hopefully get a good alignment after.

I found +1.5" Rough Country leveling coils, about the same price as the Daystar spacers. Maybe that would be better?

Last edited by rain252; 01-11-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
coils would defiantly be better than spacers if you wanted to put the money into it.

the Daystar is expensive because its poly spacers. the solid metal spacers are cheaper. there all over ebay for 40$ not sure bout anywhere else
80-96 Bronco F150 4WD Steel Front 1.5" Leveling Kit With Stud Extender | eBay

you will need an alignment after installing any kind of lift jsut so you know. you will probably have pretty bad camber also. generally for leveling kits you get a pair of adjsutable camber bushings. part number Moog K80108

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

I think I am going to go the way of new coils. Bronco Graveyard say theirs are US made and give 1.5-2". That sounds good to me. Then I can run them a while and see where they end up at, and then address the rear to make it level if I need to. Maybe that will be all I ever want to do, being the tires are just going to be 33".

Do I need the aftermarket adjustable camber bushing? The factory adjuster won't do it? Thanks
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Garage
you will want to get longer shocks as well. might as well get them too. rear of front

factory they are fixed bushings. and it will be off after the lift and need to be replaced. the adjsutable ones you adjsut so you dont have to replace it

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Yeah I figured I would need shocks also...no problem, they are original and have to be shot by now.
Thx for the info on those Moog adjusters. I had thought the factory could adjust. What does an alignment shop do if the original ones are there, just remove the old ones and put replacement ones in?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Garage
either they dont touch it and claim its good enough or they repalce it and charge you for replacements and maybe even an extra hour labor. different places handle it differently. but none of them seem to know how to properly align these trucks

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

And with the Moog adjusters they have plenty of adjustment and just dial it in? Outstanding. I will get them in myself before it goes back together.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:52 AM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Garage
they adjsut any combination between 0 to 3.2* of camber and caster

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5.8L
Garage
I installed the Skyjacker leveling springs that Chris sold me along with new shocks. I did order the JBG spacers for the front but decided not to use them. If interested in them send me a PM. I don't plan on using them and will let them go to a good home.
I lucked out with not having to change the camber adjuster and have a slight positive camber.
My ride quality is very nice and has great road manners. It drives great and would suggest this as an option.
CDA 455 likes this.

'96 Eddie Bauer Bronco, leather, 5.8L, 3.55 LSD, Bilstein 4600's, DC XC 33x10.5x15, K&N stock replacement, 460 intake tube.
They call me Dave.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:20 PM

Bronco Info: A Very Special '86 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain252 View Post
I have a '96 that has all stock suspension. I am thinking about straight axle conversion, or just improve the twin traction beam setup. Not quite ready to go one way or the other just yet (probably a good year out), but I did just put new tires on. I had 31" highway tires on the Ford 10-hole alloys, and went to BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2's, 33x10.5. I was getting it aligned at a good alignment shop, and they said they can't align it until I change the radius arm bushings as they are shot (the rest of the front gear they said was ok). I have it disassembled with the arms pulled forward and old bushings off, and ready to go back together, but I'm thinking about adding something. The truck has the usual factory low front rake, and I was thinking about trying to gain a little bit of front end lift when putting it back together. Just a little improvement until whatever way I go ultimately with the TTB or a straight axle.

I was looking at part #33535 at Bronco Graveyard. These are 1/4" tall, flat, solid shims that go under the lower coil spring mounts on top of the beams. Some descriptions I read of other styles, say that shims will get a front end rise of 2-3 times the thickness of the spacers. I was thinking of adding 1 or maybe 2 of these 1/4" spacers on each side. Can anyone advise me on this, and what kind of rise do you think I would get from these? Any improvement would help until the big change ultimately happens next year. If this is sound, should I do one 1/4" spacer, or two of them on each side? Or should I blow this idea off? Thanks
If you're just looking for a little improvement I recommend new coils. I had the same forward rake. Suspension needed refreshing so I replaced my shocks with KYB Monomax and coils with some Moogs. Part numbers and pics here (skip the aux shocks, I didn't use them after all):
Log - phobos2deimos

I think I spent maybe $250 and an afternoon to replace them. I got 1.5" of lift in the front just from doing the springs. If I were you I'd do that until you want to spend a bunch of money on another few inches of lift. Personally I'm pretty damned happy with the TTB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
you could use your own piss as brake fluid, it would just boil at a lower temperature.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

I have an easy day trip to make with my brothers along in their jeep rubicons (arghhhh!, neat vehicles), so I'm going to put the Moog adjusters in, put it back together with the new radius arm bushings, get it aligned, and take the trip. Then in a little while, I think I will order up the springs and longer shocks, get em in and hope the camber will still align. I ordered the Moog adjusters from Rockauto yesterday.

(thx for the info Phobos and everyone...just what I need. This site is such a great resource)

Last edited by rain252; 01-13-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode