Cam shaft causing no-start?? - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 88 302 Custom M5OD 5spd 6" Suspension 3" Body, 4:56 35" Tires, Detroit Truetrac Front Aussie Rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty View Post
if you were close by I would stop on by and give you a hand, even if it is too much cam,it should still start and run, maybe not great but at least run
Thanks man. Yeah my biggest issue is not having the right guy to work on it. Long story but I moved across the country and the truck got left with whomever would take it. I didn't get a chance to find the right guy. I'm not really in a position to work on it myself unfortunately.

I will say, I had tested fuel pressure to the rail with a gauge, I did have spark but I can't say it matched compression or not, there was plenty of compression at the first plug. I would think any mechanic would start with the basics but I'm not even sure that happened.

The fuel is definitely terribly old and that is very likely a problem.

I think I just have to get the truck back in my hands, seems like the only way anything will get figured out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 88 302 Custom M5OD 5spd 6" Suspension 3" Body, 4:56 35" Tires, Detroit Truetrac Front Aussie Rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruners4 View Post
Have you attempted to have the engine builder take a look at it or make some suggestions?
I should check back with him. The guy is a bit of a nightmare but he may have some ideas

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
There are 3 firing orders for Windsor engines, the PCM needs to be the same firing order for proper timing of the injectors. If a different cam were installed the PCM would have to be reprogrammed to know that.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:28 PM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 with 97k miles, WARN Premium Hubs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
There are 3 firing orders for Windsor engines, the PCM needs to be the same firing order for proper timing of the injectors. If a different cam were installed the PCM would have to be reprogrammed to know that.
3 firing orders?
and.....?
The computer doesn't care what the firing order is.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:40 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman9975 View Post
3 firing orders?
and.....?
The computer doesn't care what the firing order is.
The PCM "knows" when the #1 ignition is to occur. It "knows" that because one of the openings in the shutter wheel (in the distributor) is different than the others to indicate to the PCM where #1 cylinder is.
I haven't been able to determine what the PCM does with that data. (Start the batch opening of the injectors? adjust the timing?)

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:50 PM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey350 View Post
The PCM "knows" when the #1 ignition is to occur. It "knows" that because one of the openings in the shutter wheel (in the distributor) is different than the others to indicate to the PCM where #1 cylinder is.
I haven't been able to determine what the PCM does with that data. (Start the batch opening of the injectors? adjust the timing?)
Right.....but after number 1, it doesn't matter what the firing order is.

My first bronco, 1986 with a 302 factory firing order was 15426378. I dropped in a 92 302HO with firing order 13726548 and used factory computer. It ran great. The PCM isn't the problem here.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:57 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Like sackman said. The PCM doesn't give a rats ass for the firing order.

They batch fire the injectors and the fuel sits on the intake valve if the firing order is different from the original. They will still run.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Is the distributor actually turning? In a batch fire sequence the injectors pop a few at a time every call so it would run, not optimally but it would run off of pooled fuel in the intake much like a carburetor. In a sequential fire if the order of injector pulse is not consitant with the valve sequence you are runnning like shit if at all. Keep in mind that the system is port injected so if the PCM loads a cylinder when the valve is not open then does not when the valve is you get fuel pooling in the intake. The beauty of the port injection system is it meters and atomizes the fuel at the precise moment the intake valve opens and stops when the valve is closed. All Ford PCMs have to be set for the same firing order to run properly, the HO is one example of a complete variant on the firing order that will not run if the PCM is not on the same page.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:53 PM
gone fish'n

Quote:
Is the distributor actually turning? In a batch fire sequence the injectors pop a few at a time every call so it would run, not optimally but it would run off of pooled fuel in the intake much like a carburetor. In a sequential fire if the order of injector pulse is not consitant with the valve sequence you are runnning like shit if at all. Keep in mind that the system is port injected so if the PCM loads a cylinder when the valve is not open then does not when the valve is you get fuel pooling in the intake. The beauty of the port injection system is it meters and atomizes the fuel at the precise moment the intake valve opens and stops when the valve is closed. All Ford PCMs have to be set for the same firing order to run properly, the HO is one example of a complete variant on the firing order that will not run if the PCM is not on the same page.

His PCM is batch fire, No need to confuse the OP with information thats not going to help his problem.
sackman9975 likes this.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
if fuel is very old, I would start by draining and cleaning tank and fresh fuel before I wasted time on anything else

old fuel will not fire well if at all
I tried recently to run some gas that was just over 1 yr old in my lawnmower, it wouldn't start and that thing will almost run on piss!

that and pull plugs and squirt a couple squirts of oil down each plug hole to help seal rings that dead fuel may be washing the ring seal away

after a bit of cranking ,are any of the plugs wet?
if so, a plug that has been flooded with fuel,new or old, may never fire again!
I have seen it many many times after being flooded the plug never fires again and new plugs were only way to get running

and as far as mechanics go, most that are not old farts have no idea what a distributor is,does or how to lace up plug wires or how to diagnose a problem a computer cannot find for them, let along diagnose a problem after someone has had it apart,and changed things around
I bet it is a simple issue,just have to find it
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 PM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Garage
Quote:
Totally disagree...

The HO I had ran PERFECTLY FINE.

The valves are opening and closing so fast, there's no time for "pooling".
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Here's the latest from the 5th mechanic that's looked at it. He says timing all checks out, dizzy stabbed correctly, both firing orders attempted, fresh gas from 60 psi source:

Runs for a maximum of 6 seconds, backfires out the intake and shoots flames from intake.

He feels that the injectors aren't firing correctly. He'd like to try a 302 computer but I think that's gone missing. Any other thoughts??

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM
gone fish'n

Was the original engine a 302? with a 302 ECM?

Did it run on the ECM you are trying to start it on right now?

Let's Go Fishing.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
if it is backfiring out the intake,either the firing order is wrong or you have an intake valve not closing ,or even an exhaust valve not opening and the compressed charge is coming back up the intake when the intake valve opens
or it is possible something crawled up the exhaust and died in the muffler causing a blockage

you cant fart too easily if you have a cork stuffed up your arse can you?

perhaps have them do a compression test
sackman9975 likes this.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 AM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty View Post
if it is backfiring out the intake,either the firing order is wrong or you have an intake valve not closing ,or even an exhaust valve not opening and the compressed charge is coming back up the intake when the intake valve opens
or it is possible something crawled up the exhaust and died in the muffler causing a blockage

you cant fart too easily if you have a cork stuffed up your arse can you?

perhaps have them do a compression test
I agree, sounds like the cam and the crank are not happy working together.
sackman9975 likes this.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey350 View Post
It uses it as a reference for RPM, injector batch timing and dwell, and ignition timing, among other things. Look at the EEC-IV KOER tests and you can see how that input gets referenced into many other things, like cylinder misfire.

The computer needs to know when #1 is at TDC in order to get the timing correct for many things.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:07 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephalanx View Post
I will say, I had tested fuel pressure to the rail with a gauge, I did have spark but I can't say it matched compression or not, there was plenty of compression at the first plug. I would think any mechanic would start with the basics but I'm not even sure that happened.
Where is the truck and where are you?

Did you check the compression with a gauge or just by feel? Because 45psi compression will feel like 'fine' but not necessarily be enough to sustain combustion sufficient to start.

Off the wall idea - did they use 351 or 302 pushrods? They're different lengths and if accidentally you use long 302 pushrods in a roller 351W (they're close enough that they can *look* okay) the valves still won't open enough to actually get the engine to start or run much at all.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

The truck is at a shop across town (Las Vegas). All the things just brought up are above and beyond my knowledge really.

Original engine was a 302 with 302 ECM, that computer is lost now, so I don't have a 302 computer to attempt to run the current setup (302 firing order)

It sounds like the firing order is wrong, I agree. We've run both 302 and 351 orders though. I will check with mechanic that compression test was completed, and suggest the bockage thing.

I have no idea what pushrods were used. Anything with engine internals I left to the shop. This is the same shop that chose the camshaft for me though, and I can't tell you why.

post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:09 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 35"bfg AT, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie locker, HS9500, sliders
Garage
as long as the injector order never got moved the spark plug wires should be the only thing changing at the Dizzy for the proper firing order. Now if this was a MAF setup the injector harness would need to match the firing order of the cam.

60psi for the fuel pressure is way to high. it should be around 39psi at the shrader valve on the fuel rail.

since you have an 88 bronco. you can run a 5.8/C6 computer or a 5.8/manual trans computer out of an F250/F350 from 88 - 91.

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

It is not MAF, so yeah, it shouldn't have a problem.

60psi was just for a test, the truck runs 40psi on it's own.

I have both 5.8 computers from an auto and a manual.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode