78/79 coils in a 95 bko - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jermil01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 96 xlt
78/79 coils in a 95 bko

Hey guys, so i looked around but couldn't fund much info on this subject. how can a use 78/79 bko coils in a 95 bko? im sure it can be done but how? id like to use the 7" superflex coils from JBG for the time being till i can swap my dana 60 in. any help is appreciated thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Bronco Info: '96 Eddie Bauer 351, M112 Supercharge, C&T beams, Deaver J40s, 4.56 gears, disc brakes, hydroboost
I put the '78 coil buckets in my '96 as part of my go fast build. I am using the 5.5" Denver Superflex TTB coils. They are much better that the Pro Comp 4" coils I had. The buckets sit a little higher than the '96 buckets (about an inch) so my front end sits about 1/2" higher than before.

I did it to be able to use F250 shock mounts for more overall travel. It worked out great. I have 12" short body Bilstien 7100s up front which work great.

The hard part is removing the rivets that hold the coil bucket on. Best way I have found is the center drill the rivets with 1/4" drill, then cut an X with angle grinder, then use air chisel to cut the head off and air hammer to punch it out. Sounds complicated but it's not. Drill them all, then X them all, then break out the chisel.

On mine, the bucket holes did not line up so I just put the bucket where I wanted it, center punched the hole locations and drilled 4 new holes in the rail. Alternatively, you could center punch the bucket and dill it for the current frame holes. Reinstall with Grade 8 hardware and you are good to go.

I'd say it is one of the best mods I have done to my truck. The next best thing to coil overs. Definitely doable. I had them both swapped in about 2 hours. I would say that is pretty darn fast but I have finally climbed the learning curve on those pesky rivets.

Good luck,

Baxter
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Bronco Info: '96 Eddie Bauer 351, M112 Supercharge, C&T beams, Deaver J40s, 4.56 gears, disc brakes, hydroboost
Here is a pic of the 78 coil bucket installed.

Baxter

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
keep in mind the lower retainers on the '78/'79 coils are different. the later years use the pig tail style mount. If you're going to go with the early coils you'll need to modify the retainers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:35 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
keep in mind the lower retainers on the '78/'79 coils are different. the later years use the pig tail style mount. If you're going to go with the early coils you'll need to modify the retainers.
What jermil said. Panabax is just referring to the upper mount, which is the same on the 78/79 as it is on the 80-96. So you don't have to change that at all, depending on your goals.
You would have to make some coil retainers at the bottom to switch from the pig tail style mount to a flat mount. Certainly doable if you have the tools and skills to fabricate something. But my question would be, why? If your doing an SAS in the future why not just wait and do the new coils then. Seems like wasted work/time/money to me.
With all that said, if you are set on doing what your talking about with the 78-79 style coils, we have retainers that would probably work for you (we have springs too if you were looking for another option other than JBG). We don't have the coil retainers on our site individually as they come with our Dana 60 SAS kit. But i don't see why they wouldn't work for you. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0087small.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	98786  

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

well im mostly looking to clear 37s without cutting into the body.im not sure when i will be able to do the dana 60 swap so i just wanna be able to fit 37s. ive been frothing at the mouth to get your kit boulderbronco. i may just use the 5.5 coils they have and just reuse thwm with your kit though
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBronco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
What jermil said. Panabax is just referring to the upper mount, which is the same on the 78/79 as it is on the 80-96. So you don't have to change that at all, depending on your goals.
You would have to make some coil retainers at the bottom to switch from the pig tail style mount to a flat mount. Certainly doable if you have the tools and skills to fabricate something. But my question would be, why? If your doing an SAS in the future why not just wait and do the new coils then. Seems like wasted work/time/money to me.
With all that said, if you are set on doing what your talking about with the 78-79 style coils, we have retainers that would probably work for you (we have springs too if you were looking for another option other than JBG). We don't have the coil retainers on our site individually as they come with our Dana 60 SAS kit. But i don't see why they wouldn't work for you. Here is a pic.
speaking of your sas kit i seen you updated your web site for the stage 3 coilover kit. have you tested out its flexing capabilities yet? i just may sell my 96 now haha
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
Side question that actually pertains to this, would you benefit from swapping in 78-79 coils into a TTB front end to get away from the unbearably stiff lift coils that everyone makes for the later model trucks?

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
1988 Custom 302/AOD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
in my opinion the solid axle coils would be way too soft on a TTB rig..you're better off going with one of the Deaver progressive rate coils designed for the TTB, they give a nice ride.
92BroncoXLT likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode