7Likes
  • 3 Post By Joecrewz
  • 1 Post By 352Ford
  • 1 Post By mrnewland1
  • 1 Post By CrazyBRONCOguy
  • 1 Post By TTEChris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 XLT, under going a 351 swap, AOD, stock gears, 33s, no lift.
Factory Center console hidden subwoofer box

Mod, not sure if it goes here.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way a professional. This isn't a "how-to". I'm simply sharing "how I did it". This is my second fiberglass box ever and the first one I did was done over 8 years ago and ended up in the trash. If you follow me down this road, you've been warned and I'm not responsible.

So, now that that's out of the way... I've finally made it through my engine swap, transmission rebuild, and rebuilt my front end. I thought it's about time to stop with the mechanical and add some perks to the ride enjoyment aspect of my bronco.

Last weekend I added the alpine ktp-445U amp and some new infinity kappa series speakers all around. This gave me awesome mids and highs but really left something missing in the low department. After searching on here and gofastbroncos, I decided I wanted to do something a little different when it came to a sub box. I like driving with the top down and didn't want anyone walking by to see a sub and leave me bass-less. I also wanted to be able to hear the music in the event I had my top off.

I decided to chop up my center console and do a custom fiber glass box, with a downward firing sub. Because of space and the fact this was my second fiberglass build ever, I decided midway through the project to do an 8" shallow mount MB Quart sub.

Plain Jane factory center console out of my 1990 brick nose.

Since I'm going downward firing sub, I needed to chop the bottom up so sound had a place to go and wouldn't be trapped in the console. I decided to take some of the lip of the sides and front, I might add another cut to the back, haven't fully thought out impacts yet...

The cut:

Next I had to figure out how I wanted to support the box and keep my cup holders. I ended up cutting a piece of 1/4" MDF and shaping it to the upper lip of the console right under the cup holders:

I also wanted to keep some of the console usable for when I'm not driving around. I decided to cut another piece of MDF, this time 3/4" thick and make a back for the box. This is the point I decided to do an 8" instead of a 10". I just didn't think I could pull the correct volume for a 10" and keep the console semi-usable. I'm hoping I don't regret the decision. My thought is that the sub is about 3 feet from my ear, an 8" should be enough to enjoy bass over the road noise and my exhaust.

Next I yanked out my staple gun and secured the fleece for the fiberglass portion to the bottom of the 1/4" MDF.

And carpeted / added terminal connectors to box. I forgot to buy black wood screws, so silver for now. I'll revisit this later....:

Now for the fun. I cut my speaker mount out of the 3/4" MDF using a dremel. It got the job done, but if I ever do this again I'm buying a router and hole jig:

I was torn about whether or not to recess the sub in the box. Ultimately I ended up doing it, but again, this was a pain in the *** using a dremel.

Next I decided to use spay adhesive to attach the fleece to the sides of the console:

And then I did a layer of fiberglass resin to mold the box into the shape of the console:

Time to see where the MDF ring will go. Here's a picture of the test fit. I wasn't too concerned with the console mounts and the speakers movement. There's a 1/4 inch of mdf above the speaker level and there's also another 1/2 inch between the top of the MDF and the console mounting holes:

Next I pulled the speaker out, stretched the fleece from the sides of the box to the recessed lip of the MDF ring and laid some more fiber glass. Here's where my lack of experience with fiberglass shows. It's rough on the eyes, but the shape is exactly what I'm looking for:

And that's about all I got to today. I'm letting the fiberglass set tonight and while I'm at work tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll start the fun process of doing a good 2-3 layers of fiberglass mat and resin and hopefully I'll be able to drop it in this weekend.

I'll update with more pics as the project evolves!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BikerPepe`, bonsai dave and Fitzy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Hopefully it doesn't shake too bad! Where's your amp mounted?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Hopefully it doesn't shake too bad! Where's your amp mounted?

So I haven't finalized what amp I'm gonna use. I have an old alpine-mrv50 in my garage that's sitting around. It's pretty average size for a 500w mono amp. If I use it, I'll likely put it in the back cubby on the left side of the truck.

My ideal amp would be an Mini amp or power sports amp I can tuck away in the console or glove box. I really like the size of the ktp-446U. So I'll probably search for something like that.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XL
Looks great, thanks for sharing!
Joecrewz likes this.

I love projects, I have ruined my life with them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:24 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddier Bauer 5.8
Garage
Wow nice that's a damn good idea
Joecrewz likes this.

"Oh man, lodged where??"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Agree with the other, will look good when done, or not look like you did anything. Which to me are always the best kind of installs.
My Harley F-150 had a console sub box in the rear, much like you are building and it worked out pretty well. I think you will be happy with it. I have since removed and sold it and build another vented box as it was not quite enough.
Being down firing should get you the most out of that 8" sub too, and keep it out of sight out of mind.
Joecrewz likes this.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT Bronco
Garage
Wow, great work!
Joecrewz likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Turns out fiberglassing the inside is harder than I thought it would be. There's just so little space to work with. Gonna try it tonight, but at first take yesterday I'm wayyyy in over my head.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddier Bauer 5.8
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecrewz View Post
Thanks guys. Turns out fiberglassing the inside is harder than I thought it would be. There's just so little space to work with. Gonna try it tonight, but at first take yesterday I'm wayyyy in over my head.

You are a pioneer my friend. Godspeed.

"Oh man, lodged where??"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Been driving it around for a couple hundred miles and I have to say I'm happy with it.

At the end of the day it's an 8" sub and give just enough bass to realize it's there, but not enough to shake, rumble and rattle the truck and send me to insanity. There was a little rattle coming from the console lid, so I had to line the top lid of the console with some sound deadening dynomat knockoff stuff. Now the console has enough room to hide my regular sized car amp and doesn't rattle.

If I had to do it again, and I may for a friend, I'd prolly convert the entire console and go with a 10" sub.

I'm out of town and haven't done got any pictures I'll post some up when I get back.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Bronco Info: 90 w/a 95 roller 351 auto, E40d, manual 1356, Warn hubs, skyjacker kit, fully locked
Nice work. I love how big these boxes are to do what we want with. I'm a fan of cramming it with go to quick fixes for wheeling trips.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L, 4" BDS radius arm lift, 35x12.5's, Bassani headers, K&N CAI, Warn manual hubs

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode