• 1 Post By Quader1
  • 2 Post By BoulderBronco
  • 1 Post By helirich
  • 1 Post By helirich
  • 1 Post By 445 FE Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, 4" lift with front Air Lift/TRE Flip Upgrade/rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs)/33" BFGs.
Question Hydraulic Assist Steering

Anyone do a hydraulic assist steering ram set up before?

PSC has a kit for our rig (PSC Motorsports 80'-96' Ford w/gas engine cylinder assist kit - PSC-SK400x) :

Where would the stationary mount for the hydraulic ram go?

I had one one my '99 F-350 and it was sweet!

μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
I would think you would have to mount it to the pax side frame rail. The moving end would have to be ne'er the Pittman connection. I don't like that much because all your force still goes through all the joints. (Except the Pittman)

If your not getting enough power, how about a saganough swap?

In any case, if you do it, (or the sag swap) I would also change to the HD tie rods. There's a thread on that.
445 FE Bronco and CDA 455 like this.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 AM
JAN. '17 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
I have it and love it , but I have a solid front axle. One end of the cylinder is on the axle itself and the other on the tie rod.

I can put the front tire up against a curb in a parking lot , turn the wheel against it and it will move the truck over turning the wheel with 1 finger.
JGR likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, 4" lift with front Air Lift/TRE Flip Upgrade/rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs)/33" BFGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
I would think you would have to mount it to the pax side frame rail. The moving end would have to be ne'er the Pittman connection. I don't like that much because all your force still goes through all the joints. (Except the Pittman)

If your not getting enough power, how about a saganough swap?

In any case, if you do it, (or the sag swap) I would also change to the HD tie rods. There's a thread on that.
My current PS unit is dying; whining really bad that even I can hear it (I'm 70% deaf).

I thought of upgrading to a Saginaw PS pump with the possible hydraulic assist ram set up.

Would a Saginaw PS pump give a big enough boost over an OEM PS pump?

Regarding TRE:
I'm in the process of doing the TRE flip. I'm using Kingfish999's thread for reference and info.

The Moog part #s he posted are for F-250/350 and E-350s . Huge; compared to the stock Bronco TREs.

μολὼν λαβέ

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Hydraulic assist is an awesome upgrade for trail/street trucks running big rubber. We are working on a kit right now. Hope to have it available in a month or so. We already offer a ported RedHead steering box. That will be an option with the kit. We are designing it for use on the Saginaw pump, not the stock pump. So you would have to do the Sag swap to make it work. The stock PS pump is difficult to make work due to the reservoir restrictions. Not to mention it's a crappy pump. The Sag pump is a great upgrade either way and allows for a well designed kit.
It is also for straight axle setups at this point. We may try to make it work on the TTB but there are numerous issues with that.
Green Turd and CDA 455 like this.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Could do it like this.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attac...s-swingset.jpg
CDA 455 likes this.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

THAT is a simple yet stupendously awesome set up !

Thanks for sharing .

μολὼν λαβέ

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Looking at that pic, makes you wonder why they made I "high steer". The bars could have been straight if they went to the bottom of the knuckle arm. (Stronger)
CDA 455 likes this.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
The old Ford 68-72 ram kits were problematic, that series never came with PS. I also have monkeyed around with the rams on 60S Fords like Failanes and such, steering racks are the accepted go to to fix those. As stated a ram puts a whole lot of stress on components, most hardcore setups mount to the axle much like a steering stabilizer.
CDA 455 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Looking at that pic, makes you wonder why they made I "high steer". The bars could have been straight if they went to the bottom of the knuckle arm. (Stronger)
After studying the pic, I noticed something.

How would I mate the ram to the pitman arm and factory replacement TRE?

Can a AM heim joint thread into the pass. side TR?

μολὼν λαβέ

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
After studying the pic, I noticed something.

How would I mate the ram to the pitman arm and factory replacement TRE?

Can a AM heim joint thread into the pass. side TR?
Mounting the ram to the pitman arm would be tricky/custom but it could be done, just not with the standard TRE's. You would want a through hole, high angle TRE. The TRE would mount under the pitman arm, the hydraulic ram rod end would mount on top, and you would secure it all with a 3/4" high grade bolt. There are probably other obstacles to this but in general this should work. I would definitely get a heavy duty pitman arm if your drilling it out 3/4". The bigger problem, which someone else eluded to, is the fact that your ram is pushing against your fame and not the axle. I wouldn't run a hydraulic assist like that if you can avoid it.

That steering setup is pretty sweet from the looks of it. A few things I would change but overall it looks good.
I'm not crazy about the bent arms as Helrich mentioned. If they used a better/higher angle joint they could have probably avoided that. But due to the geometry (and the budget looking joints) I don't think there is another option, for that design anyway. If the arms came into the knuckle at a steeper angle, the rod ends wouldn't have the deflection needed when the suspension droops. You would get very bad binding.
TTB setups are a bitch to get a good steering system on. Throw hydraulic assist in and it's a major endeavor to get it to work right and not screw your frame up.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

How I see it:

Since the pitman arm only moves on one plane, horizontally/left to right, and the ram does the same; I fail to see a problem with that.

Can a Heim Joint thread into the pass. side TRE?

Am I missing something ?

μολὼν λαβέ

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode