so what happens when a T.Q. goes bad - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
no more trucks :(

Bronco Info: sold my '93 Bronco, bought a '95 Chevy, just sold it, dunno whats next!
so what happens when a T.Q. goes bad

just wondering what happens when a torque convertor goes bad. How do you know its bad too. Oh and yeah its in my 93 Bronco E40D tranny. Just wondering.
thanks

admin edit

over allowed size, deleted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:51 PM
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
i dont know from experience but i would imagine it will make your horse buck. i was ina car when it wnet out and it felt like the driver was slamming on the brakes all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Ex Navy Nuke

Bronco Info: 1990 EB, 357, E4OD
You get a shaking that feels kinda like an out of balance drive shaft or tire(s). It starts above around 35-40 mph if I remember correctly and only goes away(temporarily) if you let off the gas, stomp on the gas or tap the brake pedal.

Bob Kulhanek, My Superford

Hit it harder or get a bigger hammer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcSkater602
slap me silly im a mother F^%#$%*($ retard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
Oh yea! Im definitely interested in a rear.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Zombie Hunter

Bronco Info: 1993 Eddie Bauer, 351, 5.8 liter V8, somebody come help me put all this junk i just bought on!!
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter2.htm

That may help ya understand what a torque converter does. (Thanks Gack!)

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: sold my '93 Bronco, bought a '95 Chevy, just sold it, dunno whats next!
hey hey thanks for the quick responces!! You guys kick ass! This is re insurance I heard it was either the rear u-joints or T.Q.!!!!! I just did complete rebuilt on my rear drive shaft! So now its gota new rear end + t-case. That was before my time with it.

also can a bad t.q. mess up the shift patterns. Like for a while it wouldn't shift into 3/4 gear. I did a tranny flush and it drove fine after that. So maybe that was the start. Ever since I bought the Bronco is had the Bucking feeling. So I saw this website and added that as my screename! Tires are balanced good! Rear is good, drive shaft is great!! t-case was new about 50,xxx miles ago. So other then the bucking part is runs great! when it bucks I get off the gas then keep driving.

what would a shop charge to install a new T.Q.? An arm and a leg? I know its cheaper to do myself. but it looks to be a pain. But willing get r done myself. :)

admin edit

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 PM
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
you can get a TQ from the zone for like 150 bucks and it isnt hard to change

Quote:
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

yeah that was my next question was how much they usually go for? $150 not bad. If I did it myself do I just take the t-case out, and unbolt the the t.q. from flywheel, then unbold the tranny from the engine, tranny mount then slide it back, slap in the t.q. then bolt everything back up. Do I add t-fluid to the t.q. before installation? then finish filling up the t-fluid after everything is intact?

Whats a decent one to get. Would if be ok to get a stall converter on a Bronco? I know many mustang boys with thier automatics get them. So I had to ask.

thanks again man. :)

admin edit

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:27 PM
green ones make me horny

it would be easier to just unbolt your rear driveshaft and then drop the tranny. make sure you torque them down to specs.

Quote:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Silent but deadly !

Bronco Info: Broncoless
Autozone

ACCURATE TORQUE CONVERTER - A/T for a 1993 FORD TRUCK BRONCO

Unit Price: $214.99
Core Value*: $90.00
Part No.: E40D
Weight: 40.0 lbs.
Warranty: 1 YR
Availability: Online: Special Order
Store: Special Order
Note:

*** CALL 1-800-428-7726 FOR APPLICATION VERIFICATION AND DELIVERY TIME BEFORE ORDERING ***

Also a semi-related question. How do you know if a torque converter is good or bad, if it's off the truck? Is there an inspection?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

what size is it? Will a t.q. from a AOD tranny fit too? doubt it but had to ask. Summitcracing doesn't carry sh*t :(
thanks

admin edit

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Ex Navy Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaBronco85
Also a semi-related question. How do you know if a torque converter is good or bad, if it's off the truck? Is there an inspection?

cAN'T TELL YA HOW TO TELL IF ANY tc IS BAD BUT i HAVE ONE i KNOW IS BAD AND WHEN YOU SHAKE IT (DAMN CAPS!) it sounds like it's full of rust.

Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingBronco93
...a bad t.q. ...a new T.Q.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlikeojnow
...get a TQ...
Torque Qonverter???

Read the caption to this - it's from Ford.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:13 AM

Might want to give a description of your problem before jumping to just a tq converter problem.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Silent but deadly !

Bronco Info: Broncoless
Reason I asked if it could be tested off truck, is I am getting a C-6 with T.C. from another FSB member and he said I should check out the T.C. first. It would be a real bummer to install the trans and have a bad converter and have to take it all back out. Probably best to just replace it....

EDIT: Sorry for the partial hijack !
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Ex Navy Nuke

Take it to a trans shop and have them check it out for you.

Quote:
Quote:
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83
Torque Qonverter???

Read the caption to this - it's from Ford.

read it.

Everyday that I drive it ever since I've owned it, allmost a year now. Its done that vibrationg after 35 mph. on the freeway its worse! The whole truck shakes, similler to a u-joint going bad but the vibration is twice as bad.
35, 45, 55, 65 mph it vibrates. I've never drove it over 70mph for fear that truck may fall aparts.

last summer, the tranny wouldn't shift into the 3-4 gear. took it to the tranny shop, they said the fluid was a quart low, and then hooked it up to thier Snap On scanner. It said the T.Q. was slipping.

So by having this wicked vibration I was told it could be 1 of 2 things. 1 is u-joints very common on going bad in Bronocos. 2 being the T.Q. Afraid of that I decided to replace all three u-joints on my rear driveshaft. greased them and everything. Test drove it and samn it still vibrates the same! So now im willing to try replacing the T.Q. If that doesn't do then I dunno what it is.
Oh yeah called every parts store around here, and all have to order them and will take a week to get here.

admin edit

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Ex Navy Nuke

To find out for sure if it's the TC go for a drive and get on a straight away where you can maintain a constant speed for a little bit. Get up to around 45 mph or so where it's doing it's vibrating thing and maintain that speed(foot still on the gas, not cruise). Without moving your skinny pedal foot, tap the brake pedal with your left foot. If the vibrating stops immediately then starts back up in 2-3 seconds then it's definitely the TC.

Quote:
Quote:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKBOB
To find out for sure if it's the TC go for a drive and get on a straight away where you can maintain a constant speed for a little bit. Get up to around 45 mph or so where it's doing it's vibrating thing and maintain that speed(foot still on the gas, not cruise). Without moving your skinny pedal foot, tap the brake pedal with your left foot. If the vibrating stops immediately then starts back up in 2-3 seconds then it's definitely the TC.
Yep,
drove the Bronco today on the freeway, and got up to 50mph then it did the vibration thing. so i then left my foot still on the gas at the dead speed of 55 mpg I then quickly lightly tapped the brake while still on the gas and then the vibration stopped right away!!!! Then is came right back, so I then did it at 55mph same thing tapped the brake then it stopped, then came right back. did it at 65 mph again. so looks its the t.q. yhen

admin edit

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Ex Navy Nuke

Yup exact same thing that mine did around 122,000 miles. Sorry it's not gonna be cheap.

Quote:
Quote:
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I know, I've been looking and callin part stores. None have then in stock, all said they'd have to order it and can be here in a week. I've even called a few junk yards too. Ohwell I'll keep on searching. All were priced around $200 and had a $75-90 core charge.

admin edit

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode