1. Year and engine size
- 1996 w/ 351
2. Engine modifications
- Completely Stock
- Stock headers/exhaust manifold into Basani Y-pipe made for a '95 without the Basani cat. Then into a 3" Mattco 13" cat. Then into a 3", Center in-Center out Hooker Aerochamber. Then into a 3" Maramount (sp?) tailpipe from Autozone. I had to weld in the 3 stainless O2 sensor bungs to work with my truck since Basani didn't have a Y-pipe for my year truck and I wanted the stainless mandrel bent setup. Then I cut the exit and welded it back on with it just turned down because my rear springs interfered with the designed exit...
4. Sound level (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10)
- Idle = 4
- Acceleration = 6
- Highway = 3
Some Additional Details:
Tailpipe from Autozone ($42), a new Mattco 13" cat ($69), Aerochamber muffler ($70?) O2 bungs and a few SS band clamps from Summit, the bassani y pipe manufactured for a '95 w/ no cat from AutoAnything.com
Wasn't straight forward unfortunately as I had to hack off and weld up the EGR air port, and weld in 3 new O2 sensor bungs, but after I got that done, it worked pretty well. I modified the exit pipe to point straight down after the axle, but that was easy since I could use my MIG. I'll post up some pics tonight. It sounds great, and it's really nice to have a nice sounding exhaust on the truck. I haven't had a vehicle with a good exhaust system for a couple of years now.
Here are some pics:
Stock exhaust manifolds/headers after the old was taken out...
The new layout next to the old (the old muffler was still on the truck, but attached right at the end of the rusty pipe). You can just see the whit lines on the new pipe where I cut the pieces small to make everything fit:
The new O2 bungs I had to weld on, as well as the O2 bung that I had to plug that came with the pipe (last picture):
The air tube that I had to have welded up:
The sealant I used for all the stainless O2 bungs and the plug that I borrowed from work:
The is where I cut the tailpipe. I then took it back out and welded on a piece that I cut off to make a turndown right there. I couldn't use the side exit because of the location of the springs. For some reason, I don't have a finished picture (must have forgotten), but I'll put a couple up when I get a movie made to show the exhaust note:
I ended up using the somewhat cheesy flat bar exhaust hangers that are attached with a u-bolt because I could find any hanger stock that I could bend up that would fit the factory rubber bushings. Everything worked out pretty well though, and I used some stainless u-bolts to attach the hangers to the pipe and stainless band clamps where all the pieces came together (muffler to pipe, cat to pipe, etc.).
Here is the welded on turn-down. It's just the side exit pipe that was cut off, turned down and welded. Then I cut it again to give a nice downward angle:
And here you can see the new crappy hanger I ended up using. I can still go back to the original if this one doesn't last at least because I didn't destroy the factory bracket:
The only other hanger just behind the muffler that just goes up to the crossmember:
And a clip of the exhaust note... Sorry for it being short. Scared my kid so I had to stop it, and we were on our way out, but you can get the picture:
I'll also go back and post the part numbers of all the pieces I used. It was a very easy install except for getting the new stainless bungs welded on and the air tube welded closed. That was only hard because I had to find someone that could weld the stainless for me. Luckily I had some welders doing work at my site last week, so even that wasn't a big deal. Just had to buy there crew some donuts for breakfast the next morning.