Truck dies when put in - FSB Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Angry Truck dies when put in

Ok...First off, I'm enlisted in the Navy, so if I don't respond right away, it's not 'cause I'm not satisfied with the's pry 'cause I'm floating in a giant puddle, waiting to go home and work on my truck....So, that said, I got a 1982 F150 w/ 351W & C6 tranny...Truck is stock, save for a mild lift (might as well be's old) and 33's...See, problem is, when I start it (rough starting) just wants to, yeah, the electric choke is plug is cut.....thank the owner before me...So, I gotta keep on the gas to keep it running...but say, if I romp on it..the revs stay high as HELL (dunno what tach doesn't work...if anyone knows the solution to THAT, it would be sweet) for a while before coming back down...the throttle return spring is really old and crappy, but it snaps the butterfly valve on the carb right shut. So it's not like it's staying open...So...what gives? Can't figure it out. My next problem being once it IS running, once you drop it in gear, ker-put, she's dead, unless you're on the gas when you switch into gear, which is HORRIBLE for the tranny, I know... Only gear she kinda likes is first...2nd, after a while, but punch it and it, off the line, on the gas, dead. Reverse keeps her alive usually. But not from a dead standstill...gotta be rolling. Is my trans just totally and completely Effed, or could all thest problems be fixed with a simple swap out of the carb? All my prior vehicles have been EFI, so driving, but owning one...I'm new at. So...I'm stumped...To me, it sounds like a simple issue of not getting the proper air/fuel mix and just dumping the engine...But I could be wrong. If that's the case, I already have a 720 cfm Truck Avenger carb and Wieland intake manifold sitting in my garage (thank God for the wife....) ready to go on when I get home. I hope it's the extent of it....maybe some burnt valves...I dunno. Didn't have time to pull the heads before I got shipped off to play silly little games for the government. So, that's first, after the carb and manifold come off. But...if anyone's got any suggestions, I'm more than open. Thanks, y'all.

-Happiness is a 200 round belt of ammunition and one solid trigger squeeze.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak. You should wire the choke to an ignition hot source too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.0 Auto
I agree it sounds like a massive vacuum leak. If you can't find a line off or a port uncapped I'd be surprised.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Bronco Info: 1991 Ford Bronco Custom-1990 f-250 XLT lariat Diesel-1988 Ford F-150 XLT 6in skyjacker,3in body,36SS
Yeah sounds like a vacumm line had the same problem when one was just dry rotted and broke off the connector.

92 Bronco XLT 5.8L Engine
90 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat Supercab 7.3L Diesel Engine
1988 Ford F-150 5.0 Engine 6in Skyjacker lift,3inch body lift on 36in swampers.
Sponsored Links

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the FSB Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE accounts. If you only have a email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode