: Who here has a Good Knowledge of Possums + Rabbies

rsalter66
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
OK I live in a small city I guess you would call it? I went out in my fenced in back yard this morning where my Dog goes out every morning etc, the dog had been out for awhile, since it was still dark this morning, its light now when I look out there and I see him out back sniffing around a BIG AZZ Possum, its just laying there (playing possum) so first I think its dead, great what killed it rabies?? then as soon as I get the dog inside it slowly sits up, and just kind of wobbles, and don't really move for a while, now its not foaming at the mouth or anything but the tips of its ears are real red? but the way it was just kind of wobbling I figured I better call someone to come take care of it figuring they will shoot it and test it for rabies? so I call the cops, the officer brings out a high powered pellet gun and kills it, and says he don't think it is rabid I can just go ahead and bury it? does this sound right to anyone? shouldn't they test it to see if it was rabid and we have been exposed to it??

Robs79BBbronco
01-10-2008, 11:32 AM
nah.....if your dog had his rabies vac., i would'nt worry about it.

deadeyedick
01-10-2008, 12:28 PM
You can call animal control and find out if there have been any reported cases of rabies in your area...if not, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Raccoons are a much greater concern when it comes to rabies.

94_chickentaco
01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
i recommend you do not eat it.

rightofway
01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
about all i know about possums is they have a bifurcated penis:shocked

(bio professor told us that)

bronconite
01-10-2008, 01:49 PM
about all i know about possums is they have a bifurcated penis:shocked

(bio professor told us that)

Check it out
http://www.isga.org/informationcenter/HealthIssues/anatomicalbreakdown1.htm

scroll all the way down

rsalter66
01-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Well I got it all taken care of I do believe, Health dept came and took it to get it tested, called the vet to make sure the dog was up to date, well someone else took over and misplaced my records so my dogs vaccination ran out last month? I'm taking him today to get a new one, everyone I've talked to said that it should be fine? I can not see any signs that he has been bitten anywheres, so I think everything is going to be fine, I am going to take every step necessary to be sure, The Bad part and stupid thing on my part is I have never put a dog licence on my dog so as soon as I get back from the vets I am going down to do that as well, hopefully if they do decide to fine me for not being up to date on everything, hopefully it will be a small one? I'll find out in a couple days if the thing was sick or not? I had to bag it up for the H/Dept so I put it in a 5gl bucket as well, the sum bitch was still alive when I Picked it up with my post hole diggers by its head, just like a big pair of tongs!!

Need4racin
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
you won't get fined for your dog being out of date.

Mels
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
What vets don't tell you is the rabies vaccination is good for 3 years -- I THINK he told me 3 years, I know it's longer than the one year. They tell you once a year because it puts more money in their pocket. People could save a ton of money if they'd learn how to give shots and just buy the vaccines from an online livestock supply, or even Tractor Supply.

As far as the possum goes, if it was out in the middle of the day I'd suspect it more as being rabid, otherwise it was just out doing it's nightly prowling. Possums kinda wobble when they walk anyhow, especially after being scared like that. I used to have one for a pet, raised it from a baby.

Also I think if it had been rabid it would have tried to get or bite your dog, not "play possum" like a healthy possum would.

che22879
01-10-2008, 02:09 PM
doesn't say much for the cop if that thing was still alive

rsalter66
01-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I dont have much good to say about my police force here, the H/dept guy said that it was totaly wrong what he did, I didnt think it was right that is why I took other steps to be sure my dog and family are safe. Mels you seem to know what you are talking about so I am going to P/M you if thats ok. thanks Y'all for the help I was just alittle stressed out at the time of the post, but I got it under controll now I do believe

ScorpionBoy
01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
our rabies tags are good for 3 years where i live. that is one shot per 3 years. yer pup will be fine.

imlikeojnow
01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I would worry more about my dog getting in poison oka.ivy/summac then getting rabies from a possum. When i was young and running and gunning bearfooted in alabama we used to catch them all the time by the tails. They would get pissy but we ended up shooting them cause the old man down the street used to eat em and he gave a buck a pop for them

rsalter66
01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Yea I think I have a better understanding on the whole thing now, I was just stressed out, my dog is a big Ole chocolate lab, his name is Tank and it fits him good hes around 100lbs and he is my constant companion, he's like my son, but I also have a 7yr old daughter home sick today so that is a major concern that she would not get sick, as much as I love my dog my family and my kid comes first. but I think everything will be fine, I am hoping that it was just acting funny because it went into its defensive mode (playing dead) and it made it groggy in some way? I have seen it on my back porch at night eating the dog food in the summer time and never thought about it because as soon as it heard me he hauled azz, but this time he just sat there. so like I said hopefully it was all because he went into playing dead mode? and just so you know after I saw it in the dogs food that time I quit putting food out and got rid of what it had touched and the bowls

CJW
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
What vets don't tell you is the rabies vaccination is good for 3 years -- I THINK he told me 3 years, I know it's longer than the one year. They tell you once a year because it puts more money in their pocket. People could save a ton of money if they'd learn how to give shots and just buy the vaccines from an online livestock supply, or even Tractor Supply.

As far as the possum goes, if it was out in the middle of the day I'd suspect it more as being rabid, otherwise it was just out doing it's nightly prowling. Possums kinda wobble when they walk anyhow, especially after being scared like that. I used to have one for a pet, raised it from a baby.

Also I think if it had been rabid it would have tried to get or bite your dog, not "play possum" like a healthy possum would.

And you have to be very careful with those store bought vaccines. Alot of them are sh*t.

Foghorn
01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
And you have to be very careful with those store bought vaccines. Alot of them are sh*t.

No health department or animal control group I know of will recognize the do-it yourself vaccines... If your dog bites it will be considered un-vacinated.... In some areas that can mean long quarantines or even madatory testing. It's bullshit, but thats how the vets got the law sets set up...

Most of the time possums do not get rabies, whatever has it to give it to them usually kills them in process... It's is very dificult to transmit anyway... I would not be all that concerned. Take care----Fog

84Brian
01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
personally if it were me id take my dog to the vet. id rather be safe then sorry

bodo
01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I spend most of my off time either hunting or fishing and I honestly have never seen a rabid animal but I still get rabies shots for my hunting dogs just incase they find that one rare case. I have six deer dogs and two coondogs that I worm and vacinate myself but my state doesn't recognize the storebought rabies shot so I have to bite the bullet and go to the vet.

I have some info for you all that came from a no BS vet that I trust. The vet makes very little money from a rabies shot and the rest goes to your county. I believe this because here in Pensacola it used to cost $32 per dog that wasn't fixed for the same shot I pay an Alabama vet near our hunting club $8 for fixed or not. Another scam is year round heartworm prevention, it takes a heartworm larvae over six months to develop and all your heartworm pills will kill the larvae so if you own multiple dogs and want to save money while keeping your dog healthy give them a pill every three months. If you don't beleive me about the heartworms ask yourself why they don't give your puppy a heartworm test if he's less than six months old and don't start him on prevention untill he's six months old.

rogertc1
01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~w3lap/possum_cook_book.htm

Dunbar
01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
We live in the city and had 2 raccoons die in our back yard in 2 months. One was dead when we found it, the other was near death and I finished it off with a shovel. We called some animal place and they said that it was a big die-off due to distemper. Since the raccoons didn't get vaccinated regularly they die whereas pet dogs don't have a problem.

Could be a similar situation with the poor old possum.

bodo
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I would worry more about my dog getting in poison oka.ivy/summac then getting rabies from a possum. When i was young and running and gunning bearfooted in alabama we used to catch them all the time by the tails. They would get pissy but we ended up shooting them cause the old man down the street used to eat em and he gave a buck a pop for them

I bet you know what a hillbilly toothpick is don't ya? You aren't that far from me and I drive through there about twice a week, do you still hunt?

rsalter66
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I did take the dog to the vet to get checked out and to get his rabies shot updated
the vet said he is fine and I have nothing to worry about.
the dog did not get bit,
and even though his shot was a little over due it is still in his system, and protecting him,
its just not as strong as they like it to be,
and I went down and got his licence taken care of,
I will find out in a day or two the test results on the possum,
I think we are good,
it was just one of those things that you take for granted, and then realize, OH SHIOT!!!
I forgot to take care of that!!
I wont make that mistake again
I got stressed out over the thought of it and the consequences that could happen from it and my stupidity of not keeping the dog up to date on his shots
but I've made sure we are all good and I am not stressing on it right now
Thanks for letting me vent, and for all the words of wisdom and Help

1clean5.8
01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a great recipe for that thing its delicious. (a little greasy)

My dog used to kill those all the time I wouldnt worry about it.

duh_09
01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I live out in the sticks and I've never heard of a rabid possum. Racoons are the big problem with rabies, but I've never seen it. Any possum that walks into our yard dies instantly anyways. Our leopard dog breaks their neck every time she sees one. Which is sorta funny because she's scared of our shih tzus lmao

rsalter66
01-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Well now that's what I was wondering? see I've only lived here in this small city type environment for the last 5yrs or so, I lived down in Florida in the stick for the past 20 yrs before this, and back before I moved down there I lived out in the country here, and I don't remember ever hearing about possums being rabid, as far as I remember possums are basically a big frigging rat a garbage eater, and I don't know if they get rabies very often or at all, but the way it was acting , my first thought was rabies or poison, my dog could have been out there throwing the thing around for all I know, he had been out there for about an hour before I saw the thing, and ya know the thing might have been hit by a car or just old and dieing, the fact of the matter is I just need to know for sure, unfortunately I had to call the health department to get it tested, and with me not having everything up to date like I should have! I may have shot myself in the foot by calling them and end up getting fined , but it does not matter! I now have everything up to date! and I will know if it was rabid in a couple days, and I pretty much know that my dog is fine and I don't have to worry about my kid getting sick either

bodo
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Well now that's what I was wondering? see I've only lived here in this small city type environment for the last 5yrs or so, I lived down in Florida in the stick for the past 20 yrs before this, and back before I moved down there I lived out in the country here, and I don't remember ever hearing about possums being rabid, as far as I remember possums are basically a big frigging rat a garbage eater, and I don't know if they get rabies very often or at all, but the way it was acting , my first thought was rabies or poison, my dog could have been out there throwing the thing around for all I know, he had been out there for about an hour before I saw the thing, and ya know the thing might have been hit by a car or just old and dieing, the fact of the matter is I just need to know for sure, unfortunately I had to call the health department to get it tested, and with me not having everything up to date like I should have! I may have shot myself in the foot by calling them and end up getting fined , but it does not matter! I now have everything up to date! and I will know if it was rabid in a couple days, and I pretty much know that my dog is fine and I don't have to worry about my kid getting sick either

A possum can get rabies just as easy as a coon can because they eat the samething and live in the same environment. My coondog will kill a coon if it comes down to a fight but I've seen a possum whip his ass so bad that I was scared to get in there to break it up and while I was stitching him I couldn't help but say, "You got knocked the fawk out" Coonhunters know how bad the slicktail is and that's why we hate to look in a tree when the hounds are barking and see one with the teeth glaring because not all of them play dead.

justin
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
We see possoms and coons all the time around here getting in our garbage cans. You probably did the right thing by getting it tested but if it had been me I would have put a couple of rounds of .22 or .17HMR in its skull and tossed it in the woods for the other oppossoms and coons to eat on.

I gotta agree with bodo, I've seen very few that will actually play dead...most just stand there ground and show their teeth especially if little ones are around. Thats why if I get one hanging around too often he goes to possom heaven.....I'm too afraid my dog will corner one and get fawked up, I've seen it happen to other people's dogs too many times.

I've killed a few rabid possoms before....plenty of them get it around here.

Mikes79Bronco
01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
One of my dogs has killed 2 of them things...Never had a problem with her...shes gotten scratches and bites from em...She tends to kill most wildlife that enters our yard...plus we trap too...I wouldn't have been surprised if the little bitch was still alive...they take a few shots to the back of the head if your using a pellet gun...