351w supercharger input needed [Archive] - FSB Forums

: 351w supercharger input needed

Anti D
04-12-2008, 11:12 PM
well a local shop has rebuilt my 351w and i was offered a supercharger for it for 1500 dollars is this a good deal or is it a scam the super charger comes with full MSD ignition and everything needed to get me going
i just dont know enough about them to make a smart decsion so i need some input i think its a eaton if that makes any sense
thanks everyone!!!:banghead

broncobamf
04-13-2008, 12:08 AM
do it

Anti D
04-13-2008, 12:10 AM
is the price fair or should i dicker around with it

BoulderBronco
04-13-2008, 12:49 AM
First off try breaking your words up into sentences. Second it sounds like your getting had. $1500 for a supercharger with MSD ignition, installed, is way too cheap. Something is up.

borflink
04-13-2008, 12:57 AM
This is a roots type blower? $1500? That includes install? That seems a lot low for what you seem to be getting.

There are quite a lot of things to deal with. What would the boost pressure be? would it require premium fuel? Is the added hassle worth the extra horsepower for you?

Consider that at a conservative boost of 6PSI assuming 8.0-1 static compression ratio, and assuming you are at sea level, you will see 11.27-1 effective compression ratio. That would mean you are committed to premium fuel.

To have the garage asking after the rebuild if you want the blower seems odd. This is something you build your engine to handle, not add as an after thought.

nitrorustlerpro15
04-13-2008, 01:08 AM
dont ask questions, just do it. DO IT!

RGJ 58
04-13-2008, 01:16 AM
dang sounds like somthin is up i might just go and pick up the supercharger and then figure more about it later and then put it on later after you know what your dealing with

flomaster
04-13-2008, 06:25 AM
No balls!:smokin:

AHeavyBronc
04-13-2008, 09:05 AM
don't do it, it sounds fishy. plus, you have to get certain parts for your engine to handle the s-charger.

minimeswapd16z
04-13-2008, 10:56 AM
i have worked at local speed shops here in memphis and we use to try and upsell items to people. i can tell you that their is tunning out their for obdII vehicles that they can plug and play on .. not sure what your veh is. but 1500.00 sounds too cheap . unless the shop has a used blower laying around . we did a lot of vetts and i think the cheapest kit for them was like 3200. + install. you will have to use premium fuel. and if you have 8.5 or 9. to 1 comp . it should be fine. they would try to put fmu on it which works good. i would get more details and try to search the kit on google and read all reviews before i made up my mind ..

DonnieF
04-13-2008, 02:06 PM
This is a roots type blower? $1500? That includes install? That seems a lot low for what you seem to be getting.

There are quite a lot of things to deal with. What would the boost pressure be? would it require premium fuel? Is the added hassle worth the extra horsepower for you?

Consider that at a conservative boost of 6PSI assuming 8.0-1 static compression ratio, and assuming you are at sea level, you will see 11.27-1 effective compression ratio. That would mean you are committed to premium fuel.

To have the garage asking after the rebuild if you want the blower seems odd. This is something you build your engine to handle, not add as an after thought.

I seriously doubt they are talking a roots , im sure they are talking about a centrifugal ... in order to run a roots you would have to go carb , mechanical injection or serious custom stand alone. 1500 does sound really cheap , i would want to know what the head unit for the supercharger is first off .... if its a nice brand like pro charger , vortech or paxton ... then i would jump all over it , its worth 1500 even if its worn out and needs new bearings.

SigEpBlue
04-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I seriously doubt they are talking a roots , im sure they are talking about a centrifugal ... in order to run a roots you would have to go carb , mechanical injection or serious custom stand alone.

It could very well be a Kenne Bell twin-screw setup, but those aren't any cheaper than a centrifugal (ball-bearing, geared, or belted). $1500 is too little for a brand-new blower unit, let alone the accessories to go with it. You could barely get a head unit for that much.

borflink
04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
He mentioned Eaton in his first post. That had me thinking roots

IF it is a new unit, installed and tuned for $1500, even a centrifugal, that is a steal.

topfisherman
04-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I seriously doubt they are talking a roots , im sure they are talking about a centrifugal ... in order to run a roots you would have to go carb , mechanical injection or serious custom stand alone.

You don't have to go carb to run a roots blower, EFI would work fine, you would just need to tune it for the extra air.

It could very well be a Kenne Bell twin-screw setup, but those aren't any cheaper than a centrifugal (ball-bearing, geared, or belted). $1500 is too little for a brand-new blower unit, let alone the accessories to go with it. You could barely get a head unit for that much.

Agreed, I would be weary of his offer. Just a supercharger kit is in the neighborhood of $2500 and thats before the install.

Bronco4Life
04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
they would try to put fmu on it which works good.

FMU's are gay.

bad96
04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
FMU's are gay.

wanna buy my old FMU:deal

DonnieF
04-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Since i was corrected twice in this post , i feel the obligation to explain a few things. First off , topfisherman ...i said it could be EFI with a roots with a serious custom stand alone .... stand alone meaning ECU such as accel DFI gen 7 , motec , haltech or Felp pro sefi8lo ,i am not writing this being a smartass .... just trying to inform a big misconception in the automotive world.
Supercharger 101

There are 4 types of superchargers out there .....

CENTRIFUGAL such as vortech , pro charger , powerdyne and paxton

ROOTS such as Holley , weiand , littlefield , BDS , Kobelco Ect.

TWIN SCREW/WHIPPLE such as Kenne Bell , Eaton ect.

WATER DRIVE which i will not get into , because you guys will never see it on a automobile

A roots has flat rotors with a slight pitch , a screw is exactley what it says , it has 2 rotors overlapping each other like a screw. Centrifugal has a rotor like a turbo and is remote mounted. Hope this helps a little to understand superchargers more then they are all blowers.

Bronco4Life
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
wanna buy my old FMU:deal

Hell no, if I wanted crap under my hood, I'd put a carb on. :toothless

Tuned EFI is the correct way to do sheet.

BTW, where the hell were you! You missed out something fierce! :goodfinge

KPNorCalBronco95
04-14-2008, 12:19 AM
i would not do it. for a couple of reasons; too cheap, sounds scetch, and SC's mess up your engine more than benefit your engine. as stated by one of the fellas on here...your going to have to tune your engine some more and spend a little more money on some stronger parts for your engine to handle the SC. my train of thought, if you dont have money to do it right, and it did not come with a SC from the factory....its not worth it. JUST my .02
If it sounds too good to be true.......it most likley is....sad but ture!

Swat
04-14-2008, 11:05 AM
A used Powerdyne could come in that cheap. The install doesn't take much. You got to find out what type of blower it is and how much boost is expected. More boost equals more tuning, larger injectors, bigger fuel pump and more expense. Still sounds cheap or maybe a great deal on a used unit.

Get more info!:thumbup