CB radio installed and no sound? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: CB radio installed and no sound?

broncoxlt4x4
08-03-2008, 09:46 PM
hey guys. Just got somewhat done with installing my CB radio... I got the Jeep and offroad kit from Rightchannelradios.com
Its a Uniden PRO 510XL Cb, wilson 4" flex antenna, 10 feet of 50ohm coax, antenna hood mount, and snr tuner...

I mounted the anntenna on the fender(goes between the hood and top of fender), grounded it to the screw holding the antenna mount on. then ran the coax from the ant, to the Snr tuner to set-up.... It says to start on channel 20 and move the tuner clockwise untill you get to set-up, then hit reverse, and you should be good. then screw it in to the cb.... Well i tried to tune it, but i was gettin no reaction from the tuner... So i just took the coax going from the ant and hooked it into the cb... I got power, but no sound what-so-ever... anyone have any ideas? of pictures of setting theres up.... Thanks guys

gabronco91
08-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if it will help but you might need to hook the coax from the antenna into an SWR meter and make sure the antenna is tuned. But even if it is not tuned I think you should get some sound out of it. Check out this website, they might be able to help you too. http://www.cbradiotalk.com/

Hoxviii
08-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Even without tuning, you should be getting at least static. turn the radio on, volume all the way up, and squelch all the way down.

As for the no reponse, you're running the antenna coax into the SWR, and then have a short jumper to the radio, correct?

As for your reading that won't respond, is the SWR pegged high? If not, where is it reading?

Justin

2dumbnotto
08-04-2008, 12:32 AM
If your mic isn't plugged all the way in you won't get any sound either.

DNBELOWBRONCO
08-04-2008, 01:15 AM
hey guys. Just got somewhat done with installing my CB radio... I got the Jeep and offroad kit from Rightchannelradios.com
Its a Uniden PRO 510XL Cb, wilson 4" flex antenna, 10 feet of 50ohm coax, antenna hood mount, and snr tuner...

I mounted the anntenna on the fender(goes between the hood and top of fender), grounded it to the screw holding the antenna mount on. then ran the coax from the ant, to the Snr tuner to set-up.... It says to start on channel 20 and move the tuner clockwise untill you get to set-up, then hit reverse, and you should be good. then screw it in to the cb.... Well i tried to tune it, but i was gettin no reaction from the tuner... So i just took the coax going from the ant and hooked it into the cb... I got power, but no sound what-so-ever... anyone have any ideas? of pictures of setting theres up.... Thanks guysDouble check your ground. The directions for mine said the antenna should not touch the mount. It comes with a nylon washer that goes between the antenna & the top of the hole that the antenna goes through. I mounted mine (Firestik) to the exterior spare tire holder & turned mine on & got the same thing, power but no sound. I took a 3 foot piece of 10 gauge wire & connected it from the mounting bracket to one of the mounting bolts on the upper hinge for the swing away tire holder. The pivots have nylon washers so the tire holder swings open/close easier but prevent the metal to metal contact, so no ground. I know you didn't mount yours to the spare tire but maybe you need to ground the bracket to the frame or somewhere more solid. After I grounded mine I got more channels but I still need to fine tune it! Right Channel says they come " bench tuned" but you still need to tune it because every vehicle & every mounting area is different. Did they give you a trouble shoot web site? -Kevin-:popc1:

broncoxlt4x4
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
when I tried to use the SNR tuner, i had the antenna plugged to the ant side and a 1 foot jumper going from RX to the cb.. The tuner wasnt reading anything... Also on the CB itself Its not gettin any signal from the antenna... Ill try grounding the antenna to the frame tonight to see if i get anything better.. Ill snap some pictures as well:thumbup

Thanks for the help so far guys...

Hoxviii
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah, make sure you have a good ground. For the permanent install you'll want to run a BIG wire, 10GA minimum. Also take a continuity tester and make sure your coax is good. Just because it's new doesn't mean all the connections are good.

Also, does you SWR have an on/off switch? Some do, some don't.

Also be sure your power feed and ground are good. SWR only registers in broadcast and it takes alot more juice to broadcast than it does to turn the unit on or recieve. If you don't have the juice to run the transmitter, you won't have an SWR to read.

And DO NOT!!!! ground the antenna. Ground the mount. Grounding the antenna is the same as having a short in the system and is a good way to cook a radio.

Justin

Ranger429
08-04-2008, 01:47 PM

I mounted the anntenna on the fender(goes between the hood and top of fender), grounded it to the screw holding the antenna mount on. then ran the coax from the ant, to the Snr tuner to set-up.... It says to start on channel 20 and move the tuner clockwise untill you get to set-up, then hit reverse, and you should be good. then screw it in to the cb.... Well i tried to tune it, but i was gettin no reaction from the tuner... So i just took the coax going from the ant and hooked it into the cb... I got power, but no sound what-so-ever... anyone have any ideas? of pictures of setting theres up.... Thanks guys

Pics of the mount setup? Pics of your SWR meter?

If you mounted the antenna to the bracket which is in turn screwed down to the fender it is not necessary to run a seperate ground wire. The plastic spacer bushing in the center of the antenna mount is important to put in as stated above and without it your antenna is useless. You do not want the center of the antenna mount touching your mount bracket as it will directly ground out.

Ch 20 is your center channel. Ch 1 and 40 are the 2 channels that you want the SWR to match the most. If you can get a 1.1 SWR on Ch 1 and 40, Ch 20 is going to be fine. If you bought a premade 9', 12', 18' length of coax the odds are your SWR reading is going to be right where it needs to be. If you are making your own length coax, say a 17' length, that is where it is more important to correctly set the SWR thru antenna length adjustment. It isd also best to use a 3' elngth of coax between the SWR meter and the radio.

Turn the squelch knob all the way to the left and the volume to the right, with a coax hooked to the back you should have some kind of sound out of it. If you still have no sound I'd pop the case apart and make sure the speaker is wired.

I know your not tuning for maximum output wattage but most of this stuff is just basic for properly tuning the SWR.

broncoxlt4x4
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Yeah, make sure you have a good ground. For the permanent install you'll want to run a BIG wire, 10GA minimum. Also take a continuity tester and make sure your coax is good. Just because it's new doesn't mean all the connections are good.

Also, does you SWR have an on/off switch? Some do, some don't.

Also be sure your power feed and ground are good. SWR only registers in broadcast and it takes alot more juice to broadcast than it does to turn the unit on or recieve. If you don't have the juice to run the transmitter, you won't have an SWR to read.

And DO NOT!!!! ground the antenna. Ground the mount. Grounding the antenna is the same as having a short in the system and is a good way to cook a radio.

Justin

SO the wire that comes attached to the ant. should just be screwed into the ant mount? thats the way i have it now... Ill get some pictures up later on tonight... Anyone have any pictures of there set-up?

And im pretty sure i put the nylon washer in the right spot, but only pictures will tell... Ill be home in about 2hours:doh0715:

Hoxviii
08-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Ever get it going?

Justin

broncoxlt4x4
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
yea, sorry about not gettin back sooner....

I got it all working but the SNR is reading at 3ish.... Im going to try to adjust it again tomarrow... I think the end of the antenna is extended too much(it was all the way out)... Ill put it back in and see what kind of reading i get...

Oh and as far as not gettin any sound.... I grounded the antenna mount to the frame, and boom it started working...

Hoxviii
08-10-2008, 11:34 PM
yea, sorry about not gettin back sooner....

I got it all working but the SNR is reading at 3ish.... Im going to try to adjust it again tomarrow... I think the end of the antenna is extended too much(it was all the way out)... Ill put it back in and see what kind of reading i get...

Oh and as far as not gettin any sound.... I grounded the antenna mount to the frame, and boom it started working...

good to hear. each setup will respond differently. My current setup pegged the SWR until i extended the antenna all the way, then i got a good reading.

Checking your SWR on 1, 19, and 40 will give you a really good idea of what needs to happen with antenna length.

If you broadcast on all channels, you're shooting for 1 and 40 to be near as same as possible.

Justin

amtarsha
08-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Keep in mind an SWR Meter and an SNR Meter are two different things.

SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio - for measuring signal strength relative to background noise.
SWR is Standing Wave Ratio - basically the measure of transmitted RF relative to reflected RF due to a number of possible flaws in your transmit path. A 1:1 SWR reading is ideal.

Good SWR is important to maintain to keep your radio functioning properly. SNR is mostly for cosmetic quality of the audio.

-Alex

p54519
08-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I just got an swr meter and have a couple of questions.
1) I hooked it up with my 5' firestik and got a good reading (like 1.5). HOwever, moving the adjustment screw had no effect either way, which seems odd.
2) I put my 4' on (the one that doesn't bang around on my garage door) and got 3. It doesn't have a screw. Is there any way to adjust it?

slw210
08-20-2008, 10:47 AM
1) I hooked it up with my 5' firestik and got a good reading (like 1.5). HOwever, moving the adjustment screw had no effect either way, which seems odd.
2) I put my 4' on (the one that doesn't bang around on my garage door) and got 3. It doesn't have a screw. Is there any way to adjust it?

It has been a while, but if I recall, you need to adjust the length of the coax.

I need to brush up on this CB stuff, plan on putting my CB from the Ranger I sold into the Bronco here shortly.

P.S. Where did you get the SWR meter?

p54519
08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
It has been a while, but if I recall, you need to adjust the length of the coax.

I need to brush up on this CB stuff, plan on putting my CB from the Ranger I sold into the Bronco here shortly.

P.S. Where did you get the SWR meter?

I got the meter from http://www.rightchannelradios.com/ but you can get them from a ton of places. I think I'm just going to buy the adjustable antenna because I don't have the tools to put a new coupler on the coax. I just don't know if it will work because the adjustment screw didn't seem to have any effect on the 5'.

Tony R
08-21-2008, 12:34 AM

Depending on where the SWR is on channel 1 vs. channel 40 it will determine if the antenna is too long or too short. The only way to tune an antenna is either cut it (or solder a length back on) or use an antenna tuner. Playing with the coax does not tune the system... If you are interested in reading the theory, there are many websites that go into how the entire antenna system (including coax) affects the output at the antenna. The worst thing you can do is have too long of a coax and coil it up to keep it neat.

How far did you move the adjsutment screw? You would have to turn it at least 4-5 turns to see any noticeable movement.

p54519
08-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Depending on where the SWR is on channel 1 vs. channel 40 it will determine if the antenna is too long or too short. The only way to tune an antenna is either cut it (or solder a length back on) or use an antenna tuner. Playing with the coax does not tune the system... If you are interested in reading the theory, there are many websites that go into how the entire antenna system (including coax) affects the output at the antenna. The worst thing you can do is have too long of a coax and coil it up to keep it neat.

How far did you move the adjsutment screw? You would have to turn it at least 4-5 turns to see any noticeable movement.

Since you seem knowledgeable on th esubject, I'd like to ask another question. The testing seems to be only for transmitting. What about receiving? Any way to test for that?

As for tuning, my coax is a little to long. I guess I need to buy the tools to shorten it. And for turning the screw, I went from all the way out to all the way in with no noticeable change.:banghead

Tony R
08-21-2008, 01:16 AM
If you have a good swr and no shorts or opens on the antenna line, your receive will be fine. The higher you can get the antenna the better the receive. For trail use most antennas will suffice for 1-2 miles as long as you are not in a valley or on the other side of a hill.

Which screw are you adjusting, the one on the antenna? Turn the radio to channel one and see what the swr is. Go to ch 40 and do the same. They should be about equal and you should see a dip down on ch 20 if it is tuned correctly. With a 4' whip and a decent quality coax if you get a 1.5 swr on ch 2o and around a 2.0 on 1 and 40 you should be ok. Not sure of the accuracy of the less expensive swr meters but as long as ch 1 and 40 are close and you have a dip on ch 20 then you are ok. Anything above an swr of 2 will reflect some of the power back to the radio and start to weaken the final amp transistor. It will creat heat and make take years to burn up.... Take a VOM meter if you have one and disconnect the coax at the back of the cb. See if you have connectivity from the outer ring to ground. You should have a full reading here. If this is good, go from the outer ring to the center pin. This should show an open. If you have any reading here, you need to see where the short is. If you can reach the connector and the base of he antenna, connect the meter leads to the center pin and the base of the antenna. This should also show a closed circuit. Most antenna/coax problems are either in the connector itself or at the mount.
If you were closer to So Cal, we could trouble shoot it in a few minutes and determine what is right or wrong. As far as the lenght of the coax, you can route the cable the longest route to the antenna. If you have to loop it, make long "S" curves under the seat keeping the radius as wide as you can. If coiled against itself it will induce a voltage back into the cable and wreak havoc.

p54519
08-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Dude. Thanks! I will work on all of that this weekend. Your instrux are clear and easy to follow (which is sometimes rare). :thumbup

p54519
09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks again. My grounds were good, there was something wrong with the antenna. Got a new one on there and I got an SWR of 1.2:chili: