S.P.2.P Edelbrock [Archive] - FSB Forums

: S.P.2.P Edelbrock

79FordBlake
12-20-2008, 12:20 AM
I just picked up a s.p.2.p edelbrock intake for 100 bucks I thought it would be good for a stock 400 that is going to turn only up to 5,000rpms. I figured it would give me more torque and better performance and better reliability since I can put a 4barrel on it now. After looking at some of the things people have said about them on other forums I think I made a bad choice. Is this intake worthless?

highhorse78
12-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Thats a pretty decent intake. I had one on my 351m when it was mostly stock and liked it a lot. It made a huge difference in low end with an edelbrock 1405 over the stock intake and 2150. I find it funny that people bash this intake, and I have a feeling its just because its out of production and not as popular. Search "SP2P" here, as its been brought up a few times and theres some more info on it.

Full Floater
12-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I saw in this thread there was a few more posts the other day. They must have been erased by the recent crash. Anyway, someone said the sp2p is "old technology". They may be right, but isnt the performer intake "old technology" also? Have they ever changed the casting on the performer? On the bottom of my performer intake it has "1989" cast into it. Im assuming thats the year cause it was in really bad shape when I found it at the pick and pull.

Larston
12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I ran an SP2P on a 318 in 1980. It was the worst fawking manifold I've ever seen. Most stock 2bbl intakes will outflow it. Even on my 318, it ran out of steam by 4200 rpm. I bet you'll never see 5000 rpm out of one, and since they are designed for a torque peak around 2500 to 3000 rpm, it wouldn't matter anyway.

Performers are old school tech. In general, they are direct copies of the "best of" the manufacturers low rise 4bbl intakes. The Performer RPM's are generally based on the OEM's best high rise 4bbl intakes with some slight modifications in some cases.

79FordBlake
12-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Cant be that bad with my stock 2barrel to the floor I can't even get up to 4,000 rpm and it is a gutless wonder. I have tuned it a million times and it still has flat spots and bogs. The only credit I can give my 2barrel carb on the stock intake is that it cranks good and will take pretty steep angles thats about it.

highhorse78
12-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I ran an SP2P on a 318 in 1980. It was the worst fawking manifold I've ever seen. Most stock 2bbl intakes will outflow it. Even on my 318, it ran out of steam by 4200 rpm. I bet you'll never see 5000 rpm out of one, and since they are designed for a torque peak around 2500 to 3000 rpm, it wouldn't matter anyway.

Thats a 318 though. Cant give credit where credit isn't due.:toothless On my 351m with the SP2P and 1405 I've taken it up to 5500rpm. Although it was leaned out of the torque curve by then, I dont doubt that setup could make enough rpm to self destruct.

Cant be that bad with my stock 2barrel to the floor I can't even get up to 4,000 rpm and it is a gutless wonder. I have tuned it a million times and it still has flat spots and bogs. The only credit I can give my 2barrel carb on the stock intake is that it cranks good and will take pretty steep angles thats about it.

Its most likely you're carb. A blown power valve or accelerator pump would lead to you're problems.

79FordBlake
12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Im still switchin to 4v, lol. In a earlier post that you made that got deleted you said I will need a valley pan gasket set and the 's' gaskets. Do I have to have the valley pan gasket or can I just use the individual gaskets that go to each side of the manifold? Also will I need any special gasket or adapter to put a 600 Holley on the S.P.2.P intake?

highhorse78
12-21-2008, 11:24 PM
On these motors I would stick with the valley pan and "S" gaskets to prevent any leaks, thats just me though. As long as your Holley is a square bore carb, theres no adapters needed.

79FordBlake
12-21-2008, 11:31 PM
On these motors I would stick with the valley pan and "S" gaskets to prevent any leaks, thats just me though. As long as your Holley is a square bore carb, theres no adapters needed.

Do I need rvt sealer around the water ports or leave that off using the valley pan gasket? I assume to still put some rvt on the ''s'' gaskets?

On my 302 when I did a carb and intake swap I used the regular gaskets with rtv around the water ports and I didnt use ''s'' gaskets just a bead of sealer.

highhorse78
12-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah, you can use a little RTV around the ports. I would use just enough RTV on the "S" gaskets to hold them in place while you position the intake. Keep in mind if you use too much RTV, it and the gasket will seperate over time and form a leak.

79FordBlake
12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
As always thanks for the good info and help.

highhorse78
12-21-2008, 11:51 PM
No problem. Are you going to use your existing valley pan or a new one? A lot of times the new pans wont fit right out of the box and need to be hand formed a little. When using RTV around the ports with the new pan you might need to set something heavy in the middle of the pan (like a brick) while its on the motor. This will help the RTV setup and get tacky so the pan will stay in place while you position the intake.

79FordBlake
12-22-2008, 12:06 AM
I haven't took the old intake off yet so ill have to wait and see what kind of condition it is in first. I am waiting on the carb that way I can do all this in one day and not have any down time.

Wow untill I seen you type Rtv in capital letters I never noticed I was typing rvt instead of rtv. I guess that shows how good I am with computers.:histerica

rkymtnbrnc
12-22-2008, 01:48 AM
What carb you goin with?

Larston
12-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Thats a 318 though. Cant give credit where credit isn't due.:toothless On my 351m with the SP2P and 1405 I've taken it up to 5500rpm. Although it was leaned out of the torque curve by then, I dont doubt that setup could make enough rpm to self destruct.

With the 340 high rise intake I normally ran, this was an 11 second car. We tried the SP2P as an experiment since it was rated as a "high fuel mileage intake with great bottom end." It was neither. It didn't work any better on a stock 318 or a 360.

jopes
12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
here is one of those wierd sp2p intakes on a 400.

http://www.1ton4x4.com/EFI/intake/fronttb.jpg

magnumpi
12-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Dude, it cam stock with injector bungs?!?!?! :histerica j/k

but seriously, i thought you were running a performer intake

79FordBlake
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
What carb you goin with?

600cfm Holley manual choke. I have a Edelbrock on my other truck and don't really like it, so Im going to try Holley this time.

jopes
12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Dude, it cam stock with injector bungs?!?!?! :histerica j/k

but seriously, i thought you were running a performer intake

not when the efi went in

79FordBlake
12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Anybody have the Holley model 4160 600cfm carb on their Bronco? The one I am looking at is part number 0-1850S. I would think it should be fine for my application.

phred
12-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I ran a 4160 for about 8 years. Worked well. Swapped to an edelbrock carb as the holley had been rebuilt about 5 time and started to leak around the shafts. Just worn out.

Johnny
12-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I just picked up a s.p.2.p edelbrock intake....... After looking at some of the things people have said about them on other forums I think I made a bad choice.

If you really think you made a mistake, I've got a Edelbrock Preformer I might trade you for the SP2P..... I'm up around Ashland, let me know...

79FordBlake
12-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I still havent changed intake and carb on my Bronco yet, im doing it this coming up weekend. But over the weekend I had to pull the intake and head on my friend's 79 Bronco, 400.

We were not sure if we needed to put rtv on both sides of the valley pan. We put it around all the ports on the head, thin bead at the front and back then placed the "s" gaskets and built up the rtv in the corners. After installing the valley pan then we put rtv around all the ports on the manifold side of the valley pan. Doesn't seem to leak but I was wondering if this is the best way?

Also the Holley carb im going to use I'm hooking my vacuum advance up to the timed vacuum port instead of the full vacuum port. Can I run a line from the full vacuum port to the tree at the back of the manifold or can I plug it off?

mountainone
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I run an sp2p on my Bronco and am very happy with it. It got my vacuum up and it runs strong up to about 4 grand.

highhorse78
12-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Can I run a line from the full vacuum port to the tree at the back of the manifold or can I plug it off?

What for? Just plug it off if you're not using manifold vac for the vac advance.

79FordBlake
01-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Ok I got the carb and intake installed today. Runs good, great throttle response. I just threw it on and drove it, I havent adjusted curb idle speed, choke high idle speed, mixture screws or anything.

Only problems I am having is that I can't tell if the secondaries are kicking in and the trans-kickdown lever was very hard to hook up to the Holley. What is the best way to see if the secondaries are kicking in? Do I need a extension on the kick down lever or is it fine as long as it hooked up and is adjusted properly? Thanks in advance.

TdmayfieldIV
01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Mine has an extension on it its only like 2 inches though

highhorse78
01-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Its going to be hard to see the secondaries open as they only do under load. Most likely you will have to put an extention on the kickdown rod and/or bend and form it to the position on which it will attach to the linkage. Post a pic of your carb linkage.

jandabronco
01-04-2009, 01:55 AM
I made my own AT kickdown bracket for holley. It was supposed to come with one but they skimped out on me and I didn't feel like waiting for it.:armed