Lost all my transmission fluid/boiled over? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Lost all my transmission fluid/boiled over?

Broncocrazzy
04-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I was on the beach in 4wd. Truck was loaded with all our gear for a 2 day trip. To get to this beach it was a 5 hour trip. Stopped for lunch then on to the beach. Air down the all-Terrains to 20psi and hit the heavy sand. After 2 hours and one rest stop to play football with the dog,transmissions fluid just emptied all over the beech. shut the truck down for 20 minutes, and was able to limp off the beach. Pulled on to a side road and let sit for two hours while the G/F hoofed to a gas station to purchase fluid and some stop leak. Filled the trans with the stop leak and then the fluid. After warming up, shifted into R then drive,held just fine. Was able to drive to the Hotel. Let cool. then a beer run. Let cool. Then to dinner.

What do you think happened? Did I boil the Trans fluid? Is there such and animal? I've had a small spot on the driveway for some time, always thought it was antifreeze, cause it didn't smell.
My buddy say's it holding cause it's out of 4wd, is that true?
The big question Will I make it home? What would you do?

Thanks for any help/advice in advanced.

Bronco4Life
04-08-2009, 11:19 PM
You overheated the trans, and it probably came out through the front pump seal. Your buddy is incorrect. Load on the transmission is still load on the transmission. It overheated on the beach because you were in the sand, probably not getting above ~35mph and having the torque converter lock up, so the whole time that TC was generating a shitload of heat while it was under very high load in the sand.

The fix: Search for Fireguy's transmission cooler/filter thread in the tech section, and do that. Your front pump seal may still be okay if it's not actively leaking once it's cooled down, but you really need to get a big ass cooler on there. I'm guessing you still have stock gears too, right? Time to go to 4.56's or 4.88's, or you'll be spending 2 grand on gears AND 2 grand on a new E4OD.

edit: stop leak was also a bad move.

elroble505
04-08-2009, 11:30 PM
:stupid

B4L pretty much summed it up for you. I also suggest a large tranny cooler and install lower gear in your diffs ASAP.

Broncocrazzy
04-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. So if I stay off the beach, I'll make it home? That's my main concern now. I wont wheel on the beach until gear swap,mud terrains, and tranny cooler upgrade.

Shadofax
04-09-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm sure you'll be fine going home, IF you have the correct fluid level back in it, not too much, not too little.

You have NO tranny cooler up front of the radiator?
You have stock gears with the 35's?

amtarsha
04-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I only have two things to add:

I'd flush your tranny ASAP and get as much of that stop leak out as possible.

And no offense to B4L, however gears front and rear will be NOWHERE near 2 grand as stated above, I just had mine professionally installed, Yukons with master install kits for ~$850, and I could have saved $300 If I had installed them myself.

-Alex

Broncocrazzy
04-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Yes, I have a tranny cooler up front. Stock gears and 35's but I did do the ECOM trick, (I think that what it's called, where you short out the display on the dash.) I was surprised that I had this kind of problem here, the last time I was here I ran a lot of the beach in 2 high. 4wd wasn't working due to a brake job gone wrong.

amtarsha
04-09-2009, 12:55 AM
That had to be a hell of a brake job mishap to kill your 4x4.

The PSOM (Not ECOM) programming only changes the electronic offset in that device to make it show an accurate speed based on tire size and has no bearing on the mechanical strain you're putting on your transmission by turning 4 wheels, with tires that are 6" larger than stock with stock gears.

Broncocrazzy
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
I only have two things to add:

I'd flush your tranny ASAP and get as much of that stop leak out as possible.

And no offense to B4L, however gears front and rear will be NOWHERE near 2 grand as stated above, I just had mine professionally installed, Yukons with master install kits for ~$850, and I could have saved $300 If I had installed them myself.

-Alex
Yes, gonna flush trans fluid ASAP because of the Stop leak you'll warned me about, and the fact that I'm not to confident with the gas station tranny fluid I used. I think the label said, Made in China Mercroon use in a Foord. :lol

Oh, and gears are regional, what you pay for in OK can be a lot cheaper then what is paid for in CA or NJ. I learned that much from this site, right?

Broncocrazzy
04-09-2009, 01:05 AM
That had to be a hell of a brake job mishap to kill your 4x4.

The PSOM (Not ECOM) programming only changes the electronic offset in that device to make it show an accurate speed based on tire size and has no bearing on the mechanical strain you're putting on your transmission by turning 4 wheels, with tires that are 6" larger than stock with stock gears.

Yea that's it, PSOM. I guess I got to do gears :doh0715: been waiting for the SAS phase.

The brake job was a rotor swap.Mechanic had to pull the front hubs to swap the rotors, I wasn't that confindent to mess with the auto hubs, to do the job, and I guess the Mechanic didn't know what he was doin either. :smilie_slap
Has been fixed since.

amtarsha
04-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Oh, and gears are regional, what you pay for in OK can be a lot cheaper then what is paid for in CA or NJ. I learned that much from this site, right?

I bought front and rear gears online, so no?

and if you arent doing a 1-ton SAS your gears will fit a D44 solid axle.

Bronco4Life
04-09-2009, 05:40 AM

:shocked:

The going charge for gear installs is around 250 per axle, and I've seen up to 400 depending on whether or not you bring them in out of the truck.

~200 a piece for the R&P sets, and last time I looked, MIKs were like 70 bucks each.

Figure in the misc little pieces and parts, and you're getting up there.

Broncocrazzy
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I bought front and rear gears online, so no?

and if you arent doing a 1-ton SAS your gears will fit a D44 solid axle.

Sorry, I meant labor.

Thanks again for all the replies, everyone.

WasACop3436
04-09-2009, 11:12 AM
My experience in the sand.....
Refrence: 94XLT, 4.56, 6" lift, 36" TSL, Rebuilt E4OD tranny cooler, ext filter, radiator bypassed TEMP GUAGE.

There is alot of sand to wheel in out here, love to wheel in the sand. I was wheeling in the sand in 4HI last year and my tranny got hot very quickly, I stopped the truck but kept it running, the cooler works best when fluid is still being pumped through it.:thumbup Once tranny had cooled, I continued to wheel but in 4LO. I was able to maintain the same speeds, but the tranny stayed cool the rest of the day due to the torq converter being able to lock up as B4L said.
Advise: Tranny temp guage, wheel in 4LO.

Bronco4Life
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
:stupid

The best thing you can do to something that is overheating and still has fluid in it that is circulating, is to let it keep circulating under no load.

96FSB
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
thanks guys this helped me out as well.
I think this is my same issue. same thing happend to me but after a long day of mud and hill climbs haha

33's on stock gears and no tranny cooler. :o(

= a ton of fluid leaking! :o(

Mr Gee
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Beach driving (soft sand) tire pressure down to 15 psi (super soft go to 12) 4lo and slow. Less work on tranny.

rhauf
06-15-2009, 01:18 PM
This may be a stupid question, but was it in low range? if it was in high range this could have been a contributing factor (not enough gear reduction after the trans) also manually dropping the trans into a lower gear to keep the RPM's up and higher out of the torque converter will help keep the trans cool as well.

Broncocrazzy
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Update Since getting back I really haven't been using this truck, or any truck for that matter, so I never did the tranny flush. The other day I had to use my Bronco, since my F-150 has a miss fire, for a job interview. After the 1 1/2 hour drive, I got off the highway, and at the light the truck stalls in drive. Next thing I know the CEL comes on. After the interview I was able to get home by starting out in 1st and then upshifting to drive. Autozone ran some codes for me and a TCC solenoid came up along with a lack of bank 1 transitions- lean.
So I did a lot of reading on here and still am not sure what is up. Can anyone tell me if I'm getting a code for the TCC solenoid, if repalcing the solenoid pack will fix the problem, or have I really f-ed up the Torque convertor?

hua052011
05-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: AutoZone interview questions (http://interviewquestionsandanswers.biz/autozone-interview-questions-and-answers/)

Best regards.