: How do you drink Moonshine

thedamage
05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
I just got some shine on my recent drive to Tennessee. How do you serve it up? Any mixers or you just drink it?

jackhart
05-26-2009, 10:09 PM
of course you can mix it. we used to mix it with kool aid punch. keeping it cold is also recommended, lots of ice. just be careful, because you wind up not tasting it and people get wasted. stuff is dangerous.

79F150
05-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Just sip it... No mixers it wont taste right. I have been drinking it for years.:toothless

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/210820/fullsize/dcp_1045.jpg

jackhart
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
if you actually like the taste of moonshine, i suggest you have been drinking it far too much and far too long :goodfinge

79F150
05-26-2009, 10:15 PM
This also maybe true but it burns so good!!!:rofl:

gunterelectric226
05-26-2009, 10:15 PM
We used to drink the corn liquor straight.

MuddinBronc
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow those bottles look delicious.

Sojourner
05-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I prefer straight up, but I've had it as hooch before (w/Kool-Aid). Two key things with shine, and there are a few: Make sure it's fresh- It tastes better if it is less than 30 days from the still. Also, never drink the first 1/4 gallon out of a pot still- the methanol is bad for your eyes ;) .

"Dooley was a good ole' man, he lived below the mill.
Dooley had two daughters and a 40 gallon still.
One girl watched the boiler, the other watched the spout
Mamma corked the bottles and ole' Dooley fetched 'em out.

Dooley slippin up the holler, Dooley tryin to make a dollar
Dooley give me a swaller and I'll pay you back someday"

Damn I love that song!! "Dooley" by The Dillards. "Rocky Top" is another great shine song, and my 5yo's favorite... :rockon

You know, with some Google skill you too can build a pot still REALLY easily. NOT THAT I'D KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT MR. ATF AGENT. :smokin:

redbeast9
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
If its worth drinking it will be very smoth with no harsh taste, then you will feel a little warm sinsation in your stomach... Thats good shine!!! If its poor quality it will have a sharp taste just like cheap rum and burn all the way down. As far as mixing it, I have never tried that myself other than plugging a watermellon and pouring a quart in it and letting it sit in the frig for a week and then eating the mellon.. Now thats good!

Sojourner
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM
As far as mixing it, I have never tried that myself other than plugging a watermellon and pouring a quart in it and letting it sit in the frig for a week and then eating the mellon.. Now thats good!

Damn, never tried that with shine, only with Vodka or Gin. How do you go about spiking yours? Ever tried using one of those "Monster Baster" hypodermic needle-looking turkey/meat basters? That thing frickin ROCKS when it comes to spiking melons. Just pull out the plunger part, jab it into the water melon, and fill up the syringe portion with your liquor of choice. 90% of the time, the watermelon just "drinks" it up. When it won't drink, leave it set our in the hot sun for a couple of hours to parch it and then try it again. Trust me on this- it's a whole hell of a lot easier than cutting cores!!! :thumbup

bigbrownbear
05-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Just sip it. But that depends on who made it. Some is alot better then others, stuff we made in college was horrible, but you could spit a really nice fireball with it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u69/jmuncy3/Moonshinefire.jpg

The Dude
05-26-2009, 11:13 PM
If I have strawberry of grape flavored shine, I mix it with OJ. Strawberry shine and orange juice, makes a pink drink that will get you loaded. I now have some great clear stuff that I mix with whatever I think might make it taste better. Nothing like tasting like a cigar after drinking it. YUM

Iolaus
05-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Never had 'shine; is it anything like Everclear? Two friend and I played quarters with that stuff one night - the 190* version. :toothless

justin
05-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Never had 'shine; is it anything like Everclear?

The cheaply made nasty shit is.

To the OP, if the shine is worth drinking, than it needs to be straight. If you have some less than stellar shine, then it is acceptable to mix. But for the good shit, gotta drink it straight up.:rockon

I know a fella who knows a fella that makes some good stuff. I usually keep a jar or two on hand.

fartman
05-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Anyone want to send me a bottle to sample?

biggies92bronco
05-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Anyone want to send me a bottle to sample?

x2

liltimmy08
05-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Ive never had moonshine in my day. What would you compare it to?

whoa5oh
05-27-2009, 04:25 AM
take a nice piece of white or red oak char it real good with a blow torch rinse very shortly with water to remove soot. and slow drizzle the shine over the charred portion. it removes all the sugars from the wood and gives it a good earthy sweet flavor. kind of like a real mellow sippin whiskey with a much bigger punch.

The Man 53
05-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Just sip it. But that depends on who made it. Some is alot better then others, stuff we made in college was horrible, but you could spit a really nice fireball with it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u69/jmuncy3/Moonshinefire.jpg

This probably wasn't good stuff? The stuff I made...I mean aquired...will burn blue and even that you can only see at night. If you light it during the day you can't really see a flame. The backwoods stills are kindof scary to me unless you know the people I wouldn't trust it. If you have a still in the house where you can control the temperature to about 173 degrees F and keep it constant it will produce alot more consistant results.

Oh and I think it is just like anything else mix it or sip it, but a coffee cup shot at a time is definately the wrong way to go unless you like to call the dinosaurs.:toothless

bighoss22r
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
When I was 19 my best friends grandpa in tennesee died, When he went over with his parents to take care of the estate they found 17 30 gallon barrels of shine in the basement that were still sealed and dated "1921". They brought back 2 barrels and let the rest of the family deal with the rest of them. The stuff was awesome! had no real taste to it or even much of a smell. The first time I tried it I thought I would be cool and pound down 4 shots of it one right after the other. I'm a pretty big fella with a really hige alcohol tolerance level so I figured I could handle it. It was almost like drinking water but about 10 minutes later I was DONE! They told me I was standing there and just fell flat on my face. I guess 77 years of aging made it some pretty powerful stuff!

79F150
05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
take a nice piece of white or red oak char it real good with a blow torch rinse very shortly with water to remove soot. and slow drizzle the shine over the charred portion. it removes all the sugars from the wood and gives it a good earthy sweet flavor. kind of like a real mellow sippin whiskey with a much bigger punch.

Those brown jars in my pic are shine that was ran through Jack Daniels barrels. Jack Daniels only uses their barrels once so you can buy them.;)

Audra
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I had really nice smooth stuff thanks to someone in this thread. :D

You guys talking about burning nasty shit have not gotten anything like I did.

Travver797
05-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm so jelous of those with experience with the shine.

I don't think anyone out here makes shine. For those of us not well connected or resourceful we just go to the liquor store to get our jollies.

bigbrownbear
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
This probably wasn't good stuff? The stuff I made...I mean aquired...will burn blue and even that you can only see at night. If you light it during the day you can't really see a flame. The backwoods stills are kindof scary to me unless you know the people I wouldn't trust it. If you have a still in the house where you can control the temperature to about 173 degrees F and keep it constant it will produce alot more consistant results.

Oh and I think it is just like anything else mix it or sip it, but a coffee cup shot at a time is definately the wrong way to go unless you like to call the dinosaurs.:toothless

That stuff was made in a pressure cooker converted over to a still, and placed on the oven of a college apartment. Mash was made from sweet feed. It was NOT GOOD. But we drank it none-the-less.

The makers used the power of the internet and were able to increase the drinkability dramaticly.

The India Peach stuff was better then about any other booz I have ever tasted.

I heard they used 175 as their cut off temp. That batch in the pic was 165, and was the first attempt......

There was about $20 invested in the still itself, so it was worht it.....

bossind
05-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Just sip it... No mixers it wont taste right. I have been drinking it for years.:toothless

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/210820/fullsize/dcp_1045.jpg

I had the.... was going to say "pleasure" not sure that's exactly the right word for this stuff as you can run a NITRO car with it.

JD_Bronco
05-27-2009, 09:30 PM
You can buy it at some liquor stores, I forget what its called there though I thinks its something like Georgia Moon. It even comes in the mason jar, its like $8 a jar IIRC

79F150
05-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I had the.... was going to say "pleasure" not sure that's exactly the right word for this stuff as you can run a NITRO car with it.

Thats good stuff!!!:thumbup

You can buy it at some liquor stores, I forget what its called there though I thinks its something like Georgia Moon. It even comes in the mason jar, its like $8 a jar IIRC

Georgia white lightening ;)

bossind
05-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Best served on the rocks

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/538553/original/dsc_1717.jpg

79F150
05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Best served on the rocks

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/538553/original/dsc_1717.jpg

Hey yeah I remember that pic!!! That quart jar was apple brandy and the big jar 1/2 gallon was moon shine..:thumbup

redbeast9
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
The only thing I could compare it to is Pitzone (spelling) tequila... The GOOD shine that is thats been disstilled 2 or 3 times.

As far as the melon. I just lay it on its side, cut a plug in the side into the heart, fill, replace plug, and let it sit for ATLEAST a week. When the time is up we first remove the plug and turn it over to see if anything is going to run out and catch that in a cup, then eat the rest. Prety simple.

As far as 70 year old shine being good and haveing no taste.... I call BS! Because it would taste like the barrel.

Most of the shine I get (through friends) has been aged in glass jars for atleast one year. And the better it is the more white stuff can be seen floating in it or atleast that is the one thing that I have noticed (hasnt been strained after ageing).

I have never seen or heard of flavored shine.... but I have drank some stiff home made wines!!!

Iolaus
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
As far as the melon. I just lay it on its side, cut a plug in the side into the heart, fill, replace plug, and let it sit for ATLEAST a week. When the time is up we first remove the plug and turn it over to see if anything is going to run out and catch that in a cup, then eat the rest. Prety simple.

When I was younger, we used to cut the hole where the stem joins the fruit; that way, all the capillaries of the fruit are lined up to receive the liquor. We jam a bottle in so it seals around the neck, and then up-end the bottle. A decent sized watermelon can sometimes soak up an entire 5th of liquor. :toothless

79F150
05-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Here is Dave in 2005 at tellico...

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/184366/fullsize/6772730r103817a.jpg

Brian tellico 2007...

bigbrownbear
05-27-2009, 11:41 PM

If the taxes have been paid it aint shine

cemusic86
05-28-2009, 02:56 AM
when my grandpa taught me to make it,. he said "if you ain't gonna drink it straight, don't drink it". there ya go champ.

Prjktejvii
05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
always wanted to try some good shine but its hard being out in cali :/

Travver797
05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
always wanted to try some good shine but its hard being out in cali :/

Georgia white lightening ;)

There's the solution to your problem, aside from making some yourself.

I was aiming at the same thing and that's the answer I got.

Prjktejvii
05-28-2009, 02:04 PM
^why thank you sir, imma make a hunt tonite and try it!!

Travver797
05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
One more thing, if the label looks like this steer clear:

http://imagepros.us/?display&c=c147e645cc5d&i=Rocky+Mountain+Moonshine.jpg

It's got a fruity taste that's nothing like how any sort of whiskey should taste. They recommend mixing with pineapple or some other kind of fruit juice.

It's not exactly :barf but then again that isn't the taste I'm looking for in hard spirits either.

96GreenMonster
05-29-2009, 12:06 AM

Yes, its called Georgia Moon. But it isnt real moonshine. It is lower in alc proof than regular moonshine. It was made legally and it is poorly made...hence why it is soo cheap.

My store will sell maybe 1 bottle a year:doh0715:

Travver797
05-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes, its called Georgia Moon. But it isnt real moonshine. It is lower in alc proof than regular moonshine. It was made legally and it is poorly made...hence why it is soo cheap.

My store will sell maybe 1 bottle a year:doh0715:

Well that sucks.

I guess I'll stick with 190 proof Everclear. In my younger and dumber days (~1 year ago, over the 2008 4th of July weekend) I found out I could finish a 750 mL bottle of it in three days without getting hammered.

Sure, I was buzzing but I wasn't blacked, slurring my words, I could still stand up and walk straight, but I'd never think about driving anywhere - that would really be stupid. I've since backed off and stick with something that doesn't have so many hazard labels on it.

Heed their warnings too; my first bottle had a little bit left at the bottom and I decided to try it straight without any mixer... bad idea. :tinfoil

Iolaus
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Well that sucks.

I guess I'll stick with 190 proof Everclear. In my younger and dumber days (~1 year ago, over the 2008 4th of July weekend) I found out I could finish a 750 mL bottle of it in three days without getting hammered.

Sure, I was buzzing but I wasn't blacked, slurring my words, I could still stand up and walk straight, but I'd never think about driving anywhere - that would really be stupid. I've since backed off and stick with something that doesn't have so many hazard labels on it.

Heed their warnings too; my first bottle had a little bit left at the bottom and I decided to try it straight without any mixer... bad idea. :tinfoil
Lightweight. :goodfinge
Never had 'shine; is it anything like Everclear? Two friend and I played quarters with that stuff one night - the 190* version. :toothless

Travver797
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Lightweight. :goodfinge

Yeah, I know, I'm sorry.

I'm a little behind my training. One of these days I plan to go to Ireland to drink and Irishman under the table, go to England to punch an Englishman in the face, and then retire to The Motherland aka Scotland. :thumbup

cemusic86
05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
what will make you feel like a lightweight...my wife took down two hi-boy tumblers of shine, and was perfectly fine..

The Dude
05-30-2009, 12:34 AM
what will make you feel like a lightweight...my wife took down two hi-boy tumblers of shine, and was perfectly fine

Does she weigh 400 pounds?

I should get into my shine tonight, but I guess that belongs in the "who's drinking tonight" thread

cemusic86
05-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Does she weigh 400 pounds?

oddly enough...no...scared the bahjesus out of me the first time..lol

starcity
05-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Being a diabetic i dont drink. But did accept a bet one night at college. If my roomate ate 10 strawberries from a moonshine bottle i would eat one. Well needless to say he did and i did. Actually wasnt bad tasting. Problem was my roomate and couple others finished the bottle. And i awoke to my shoes filled with his puke. SOB shoes were like 3 sizes to small for me to where. Damn moonshine,

Iolaus
05-31-2009, 09:16 PM
...strawberries from a moonshine bottle...

Hmmm, there's an idea. I have two bottles of 190* Everclear that have been sitting in my cabinet for years, but since my tastes have "matured," the only thing I've used them for was to clean the heads on an old tape player. :rofl: I should try soaking some small strong-flavored fruits in the stuff - something like strawberries would be perfect!

I wonder what raisins would do in Everclear....

79F150
05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
We use to cork a water melon with everclear or golden grain. Let it sit in the frig over night and then the next day eat the water melon..;)

spaustin889
06-01-2009, 01:01 AM
im gonna have to try some of this when I get back up to college in a couple of months. Sounds tasty!

zippo
06-01-2009, 01:16 AM
I thank y'all for the info and the idea......

Goose
06-02-2009, 10:16 PM
:scratchhe . . . wonders out loud where I would have to travel to to get some quality home made brew or who could be of assistance ;) My travels take me to Gatlinburg, TN in two weeks . . . is that close enough to the heart of shine country?

cemusic86
06-04-2009, 04:37 AM
:scratchhe . . . wonders out loud where I would have to travel to to get some quality home made brew or who could be of assistance ;) My travels take me to Gatlinburg, TN in two weeks . . . is that close enough to the heart of shine country?

If we could work out the shipping I know a certain registered user who has a 95 xl that is posting who would make you some...

-interesting side note, my wife laughs heartly at those of you who are "lightweights"

NYbronco96
06-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Iolaus have you never done that before? Thats like the heart of trash can punch. Grapes, apple bits, pineapple, strawberries. They all work and taste great. We used to the watermelon thing all the time

Iolaus
06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Iolaus have you never done that before? Thats like the heart of trash can punch. Grapes, apple bits, pineapple, strawberries. They all work and taste great. We used to the watermelon thing all the timeI'm talking long-term soaking.

The trash can punch we used to make for parties (back when I went to those kind of parties, almost 30 years ago :brownbag) consisted of fruit punch base, and a bottle of liquor required for admittance (anything but tequila) to be mixed in. The mixes could get rather ....interesting. I don't recall anyone ever adding fruit to the mix. I have done the watermelon thing with rum however.

I have 7 or 8 quarts of cut up white peaches that I packed in brandy last year - about 50/50 - but I think the peaches are to subtle of a taste; all I could taste when I bit into one of the chunks was alcohol. I also have a half gallon of spiced peach brandy that I made up at the same time (recipe and all) that has been sitting for about 9 months; it's time to decant it and see how that turned out.

bossind
06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Meant to post this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On_m3V7ZMtE

bodo
06-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm talking long-term soaking.

The trash can punch we used to make for parties (back when I went to those kind of parties, almost 30 years ago :brownbag) consisted of fruit punch base, and a bottle of liquor required for admittance (anything but tequila) to be mixed in. The mixes could get rather ....interesting. I don't recall anyone ever adding fruit to the mix. I have done the watermelon thing with rum however.

I have 7 or 8 quarts of cut up white peaches that I packed in brandy last year - about 50/50 - but I think the peaches are to subtle of a taste; all I could taste when I bit into one of the chunks was alcohol. I also have a half gallon of spiced peach brandy that I made up at the same time (recipe and all) that has been sitting for about 9 months; it's time to decant it and see how that turned out.

Try this, take a smaller mason jar and fill it about a 1/4 with apple cider, then fill the rest with shine or everclear. Give it a good shake and drop in a cinnamon stick, seal it up and refrigerate for a week. I learned this from an older guy that makes his own shine and it's damn good, he calls it apple pie.

BB33's
06-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Try this, take a smaller mason jar and fill it about a 1/4 with apple cider, then fill the rest with shine or everclear. Give it a good shake and drop in a cinnamon stick, seal it up and refrigerate for a week. I learned this from an older guy that makes his own shine and it's damn good, he calls it apple pie.

Yes Sir!!! My dad gets that stuff from a friend and he calls it apple jack. Girls love it but I have to watch em because they'll get messed up real quick.

By the way who can get me some "shine"? throw a PM my way

broncodude26
06-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Meant to post this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On_m3V7ZMtE

ROLL TIDE!!! That is at my university!!! :histerica

****in idiots

cjsander322
06-04-2009, 07:19 PM
some crazy old man around here still makes moonshine in a still in his backyard. hes got his specialty called apple pie, he heats it up puts cinnamon and sugar in it and throws chunks of apple into it. sells a gallon for 15

EDIT: just read your post bodo looks like apple pie isnt that special:doh0715:

BB33's
06-05-2009, 01:47 AM
ROLL TIDE!!! That is at my university!!! :histerica

****in idiots

All three of those little girls look like pu$$ys. I've chugged 750ml of Jack and still was able to speak in full sentences and not slur words.

Then againI'm 6' 1" and 285