: is it illegal to carry a slim jim?

Macmillan1
06-21-2009, 10:56 PM
i was helping someone out who i met through a friend unlock his car with a slim jim my grandfathers owned forever, anyway a cop pulls up and gives me a good old talkin to about how thats a "car Thief" tool and questioning me about stealing cars it was on a jeep cherokee and i unlocked another one of these cars for a diffrent friend maybe a month ago so i had it down and got it open within 30 second.. anyway he said it wasnt just luck and i must be skilled at this

enough with the long post im just wondering is it really illegal or am i just hearing a load of bullshit?

dhpt99
06-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I think in some states it is. Or atleast that what a catalog i read said.

jopes
06-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I never heard if they were illegal to carry, but I know I seen them for sale at autoparts stores. just dunno how long ago that was. if in fact they were illegal, he would have arrested you.

kf4amu
06-21-2009, 11:03 PM
It's just as illegal as carrying a few thousand in cash through a TSA security checkpoint. Perfectly legal but you'll get a lot of shit for it from the authorities.

Macmillan1
06-21-2009, 11:13 PM
yeah most autoparts stores sell them around me but they say theyll only sell to someone with a towing license or a repo-guy... i think its a load of bs

Rough Rider
06-21-2009, 11:17 PM
I know that the factory that makes slim jims collapsed last week.

RickyB
06-21-2009, 11:34 PM
I know that the factory that makes slim jims collapsed last week.

Ding ding ding..........:toothless

broncodude26
06-21-2009, 11:39 PM
They are about as illegal and a laser/radar detector. Police dont like them.

Bronco Rob
06-21-2009, 11:40 PM
They're considered paraphernalia in Ohio. It's like carrying an unused bowl, you can legally have it, it just draws attention and if combined with other paraphernalia it can lead to reasonable doubt to search your vehicle.

BurnedB
06-21-2009, 11:40 PM
a slim jim, or the 6' rod with a bent end and a 30* bend in the middle?
ditch the slim jim,. throw it in the shit pile, the logn rod is the way to go!
no its not illegal.
with my rod i can get in 90% of cars within 30 seconds. if they got power locks its a walk in the park. and most cars that i need to get into all have powerlocks..........

jslax04
06-21-2009, 11:41 PM
theyre frowned upon owning...kinda like a fire hydrant wrench.... authorities dont like you having those either?

Liftedbroncboy
06-21-2009, 11:48 PM
a slim jim, or the 6' rod with a bent end and a 30* bend in the middle?
ditch the slim jim,. throw it in the shit pile, the logn rod is the way to go!
no its not illegal.
with my rod i can get in 90% of cars within 30 seconds. if they got power locks its a walk in the park. and most cars that i need to get into all have powerlocks..........

wow...uh sounds like you use it alot:doh0715:

dan76
06-22-2009, 12:01 AM
When I was in the repossession business (now a booming enterprise) and the crew picked up a cop's vehicle (happened frequently), while they were usually able to get in and out with the vehicle in tow, occasionally they'd have face an irate cop threatening arrest for car theft. However the possession of the slim jim was never an issue.

Here's a link passed to me recently for acquiring this item.

http://www.carunlocktools.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=1&gclid=CLvEyd_unJsCFSgYagodyRJ3Bg

Need4racin
06-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Why don't all thieves use a slim jim then?

On the newer ford trucks (97+) (99+SD) I see alot of them broken in via door handle or lock.

BlueBronco
06-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Its one of those "tools of the trade" things that police are hypersensitive about. A lot of them also have mouth trouble along with guns and tazers.

broncodude26
06-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Its one of those "tools of the trade" things that police are hypersensitive about. A lot of them also have mouth trouble along with guns and tazers.

Ain't that the freaking truth.

bossind
06-22-2009, 12:26 AM
So anything that can break into a car is looked as bad? Baseball bat, hammer and so on??? I'd love to see the act on this .

RickyB
06-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Not sure if you younger guys remember this but back in the early 80's someone started spreading around the fact that by using a simple pencil, you could lift up the door handles of certain Toyota p/ups, just stick it in the void and unlock the truck. Toyotas were suddenly disappearing faster than free Big Macs at a Jenny Craig convention. Anyways a cop down the road here got his Toyo stolen one night and then tried to sue the Daily Breeze newspaper 'cuz they had written a story about the pencil trick.

Good times.............:smokin:

Need4racin
06-22-2009, 12:35 AM
you can also break into rangers with their antenna.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97112

Bronco Rob
06-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Yea, cops are the only one with the "mouth" problem.......

Macmillan1
06-22-2009, 12:40 AM
theyre frowned upon owning...kinda like a fire hydrant wrench.... authorities dont like you having those either?

got one of them too!

Need4racin
06-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Ain't that the freaking truth.

:twak

BlueBronco
06-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Yea, cops are the only one with the "mouth" problem.......

I am always courteous. I treat people the way I expect to be treated. Many police are, but a lot are not. Usually I find state police to be the most professional and deputy sheriffs very sensible. But its more often than not the city police that seem to have an attitude.

Ditch Baby
06-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Usually I find state police to be the most professional and deputy sheriffs very sensible. But its more often than not the city police that seem to have an attitude.

X2. that is how it is around here.

On the slim-jim subject, they are easy enough to "hide" them out of sight. Places where a cop shouldnt need to look.

Bronco Rob
06-22-2009, 01:24 AM
The city cops usually deal with the most bullshit out of the three you listed. State cops and Sheriffs don't deal with a third of the crap that city cops deal with, so i can completely understand why they tend to have an attitude. Five minutes before they pulled you over or had to deal with you, they were dealing with some dumbshit that showed them absolutely no respect.

City cops deal with everything from mouthy 14 year olds to some drunk douche kicking the crap out of his old lady. No one ever speeds or rolls through a stop sign in their minds, it's always the damned cop that "should be doing something else like catching real criminals" fault. It's a career that wears on you quickly. The best thing to do is just not put yourself in a situation where you have to deal with the city cops.

BlueBronco
06-22-2009, 02:33 AM
. . . The best thing to do is just not put yourself in a situation where you have to deal with the city cops.

:histerica

Tally PD pulled my wife over abut a year and a half ago when she was working for a guy that was legally blind. She was driving one of the Bowdens around in his Hummer that had Bowden 2 on the plate. He pulled her over because he thought the blind dude was driving. He had ran the plate and saw it was registered to someone with no license. Duh. That's why he was paying someone to drive it. I guess he wasn't smart enough to look at the insurance info.

In the past 1.5 years we have had several police both at the county level and city fired for various things such as beating the total crap out of their wife and fleeing with the kids, stalking, fukking up on the job real bad as in getting an informant killed. That doesn't even count sheriffs busted for gambling in vegas with tax money or sheriffs that hit and run with their official SUV after drinking at the country club. There was a woman in that car with her teenage daughter in the damn driveway.

I have been pulled over twice since I have been in Tally. Both by deputies. No tickets. One was for 38 in a 35 but it was really about the Cougar being profiled. The other I was doing 71 in a 60 but it was in a Jeep and he thought that was ridiculous. Both times when asked how fast I was going, I gave them the best guess.

The problems with "mouthy" cops have been at things that were beyond my control such as the NW Florida fair and 4th of July shows and no drinking involved. In fact, I still had a jacket and tie on at the fair incident. I actually had less of a problem in SoCal than here ironically. I figure those SoCal guys put up with 10x more shit than these Tally guys.

My favorite small town cops are the guys that were local football heroes but were too dumb to make it in college so the join the Jerkwaterville PD. But that is another story.

HHH69
06-22-2009, 06:39 AM
A local dollar store (one of those asian owned and run ones, not Dollar Tree or any other major chain) used to sell slim jims, but I don't think they sell them anymore. My dad bought 2 of them about a year ago from said store.

yoomooman
06-22-2009, 08:27 AM
"jimmys" are illegal here, i had one some time ago, keyword "had".

i was in a rush, went into a store, came out to find i locked my keys in the car, had jimmy hidden behind a tail light(camaro) that had magnets holding it in(both jimmy and the light housing). grabed it, poped the lock, got in the car and out of the corner of my eye a pasco sheriff was pulling up shaking his head, he gets out and says "this should be easy i got it on camera". i showed him the title, insurance and registration all in my name thinking he only thought i was stealing a car, then i found out that jimmys are illegal and you have to have a locksmith license to have/buy one....

check with your local circuit court clerk for laws regarding legal buy or carry

BigfootOne
06-22-2009, 11:17 AM
The city cops usually deal with the most bullshit out of the three you listed. State cops and Sheriffs don't deal with a third of the crap that city cops deal with, so i can completely understand why they tend to have an attitude. Five minutes before they pulled you over or had to deal with you, they were dealing with some dumbshit that showed them absolutely no respect.

City cops deal with everything from mouthy 14 year olds to some drunk douche kicking the crap out of his old lady. No one ever speeds or rolls through a stop sign in their minds, it's always the damned cop that "should be doing something else like catching real criminals" fault. It's a career that wears on you quickly. The best thing to do is just not put yourself in a situation where you have to deal with the city cops.

Rob is right on with this assessment. I find that being a city fireman I get along with city cops better than any of the others, I think it's a mutual respect thing. Outside DC I have not noticed the same, as a matter of fact in the countys it seems fireman and cops have a mutual lack of respect for each other.

As for the OP, I don't see why there should be a legal issue carrying a slim jim. I don't carry one because I'm not helping anyone break into their vehicle. that is what locksmiths are for.

Robs79BBbronco
06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
my friend got pulled over for having a pair of handcuffs hanging from his rearview mirror.illegal? no.but this particular cop thought it would be fun to be a prick that day.
on the other hand, most cops i've dealt with are nice and polite......pretty amazing considering the thankless jobs they have.

justin
06-22-2009, 12:06 PM
While its not illegal to have one around here, you definitely wouldn't be making any friends if you are found with one just laying around your vehicle. I keep mine hidden in an inconspicous place....I've only had to use it a few times and I don't help anyone I don't know very well.

Froggmann
06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Here in California carrying lockout tools in your vehicle is illegal. The only exception is a service vehicle like a locksmith, tow truck or roadside assistance vehicle.

firelt90bronnco
06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Slim Jim's are crap. I use a long bar and wedge to get into cars for work. I ended up investing in long bar, wedge, air bag wedge, sully strips and window crank tools, I carry em around in my personal vehicle when I'm off shift and never heard anything about it.

jmorriss
06-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Depends on what your state laws are regarding locksmith tools probably-and proof of intent behind them.

That being said one of the shop guys made me one out of some scrap stainless when I was 17-been in my truck ever since.

Rednek Renegade
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
I had this same problem a year or two ago, my brother locked his keys in his BKO and i got a call. I showed up at the high school and was in the truck in no time flat, campus security was not too happy with me. BTW bluebronco, SoCal has so many activist that the cops cant really do there job without an investigation, rule of thumb be polite and respectful and you will be just fine :thumbup

BurnedB
06-22-2009, 09:10 PM
wow...uh sounds like you use it alot:doh0715:

keep it my 30 ton wrecker at work, gets used once or twice a week for stupid people............. doesnt work so well on semis though, most truck doors are built liek a brock shithouse and cannot be pryed enough to insert the tool, but if im stealing those i just hook them from the back if 9i can get in and lock the doors, or hook them from the front and remove the driveline if i cant get in them, and deal with the key issue later.

13bullets
06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
You can easily make them out of hacksaw blades.

BurnedB
06-22-2009, 10:25 PM
You can easily make them out of hacksaw blades.

but they DON'T work on most newer cars..........

Macmillan1
06-22-2009, 11:28 PM
but they DON'T work on most newer cars..........

i got the privlage of ripping apart a 1988 toyota corollas door and they have a plate in em so the slim jim cant work through the window and alot of the newer cars have somthing similar now too, its a pita..... my BKOs a cake walk though:thumbup