: 2004 F150/battery died/sercurity key disabled?

sackman9975
11-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Guys, maybe someone can point me into the right direction for a friend of mine.

He came home from work this morning, left his lights on. Came out to a totally DEAD @SS Battery. Called me up to give him a jump. Did so. The starter will not turn over for nothing. The security light flashes MAD. He said he's never seen it flash like that. The radio works, lights come on now. After reading the owners manual, I'm believing that the ECU has lost its programming for his key. Does anybody have any input for trying to get this truck started without having it towed to the stealership so they can reprogram his key (if this is the real problem)?

Been searching on the F150 forums, but all I keep getting is battery died then engine clicks. He's got no clicks, nothing. I'll keep searching............

Any help would be appreciated.

Need4racin
11-22-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/385652-truck-still-dead-extreme-frustration-2.html

Battery or fuses (pass kick panel & underhood)?

NASSTY
11-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Has he charged the battery?Test the battery, if it doesn't have over 12 volts the truck won't start.These things take a lot of juice to start.
If the battery in my 06 is completely dead it doesn't like to take a boost either.I always have to put the battery on a charger to revive it.I've had to charge my battery a few times because it wouldn't start with a boost.
I don't drive my truck much and if I let it sit for about 2 weeks the battery dies.I finally had to invest in a battery tender.I know it's not the same as your friends issue but I've read about several others on the F150 forums whose batterys drain if the truck sits too long. :banghead

Camo Horse
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Scott, you may want to disconnect the battery and then reconnect after 1 minute or reset the ECU trouble codes to allow start. If in protection mode, and the ignition is disabled, then you may or must reset it.

sackman9975
11-22-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/385652-truck-still-dead-extreme-frustration-2.html

Battery or fuses (pass kick panel & underhood)?

Checked. All look good.

Has he charged the battery?Test the battery, if it doesn't have over 12 volts the truck won't start.These things take a lot of juice to start.
If the battery in my 06 is completely dead it doesn't like to take a boost either.I always have to put the battery on a charger to revive it.I've had to charge my battery a few times because it wouldn't start with a boost.
I don't drive my truck much and if I let it sit for about 2 weeks the battery dies.I finally had to invest in a battery tender.I know it's not the same as your friends issue but I've read about several others on the F150 forums whose batterys drain if the truck sits too long. :banghead

Battery is on charger now. Letting it charge for a couple hours to see if it cures the issue.

Scott, you may want to disconnect the battery and then reconnect after 1 minute or reset the ECU trouble codes to allow start. If in protection mode, and the ignition is disabled, then you may or must reset it.

I'm gonna call him and tell him to disconnect the battery. Will report back with what happens.

Open to all suggestions here. :thumbup

sackman9975
11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Well he tried t agan before disconnecting the battery, nothing. Told him to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then reconnect and try. That worked. He's a happy little guy. :haha

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Lunch is on him :haha

Camo Horse
11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Sounds good. Usually win you run the battery to a certain low point, it can trip the ECU and shut the ignition off thinking in protection mode. So disconnecting usually resets it.

Good to hear it is up and running. :thumbup

95thebroncoman351
11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
theft mode anal raping?

Handy_andy_cv64
11-23-2009, 01:07 AM
They're also supposed to reset if you turn the ignition on, and leave it on for ten minutes; same as Chebby/Jimmy trucks with Passkey III.