Driving in 4 wheel high [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Driving in 4 wheel high

bstang71
12-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Not sure,but I was told that on the older 4X4 I could not drive at road speed for extended periods of time. I dont have the original owners manual and I dont know. Is this true? I have a 79 XLT with C6 Np 205.
The reason I ask is if there is a snow storm such as today,and I drive to work in 4 wheel high will I do any damage to anything?

spikedzombies
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I drove all last winter with a few inches of snow on the freeway in 4hi at 50-55mph 30 miles twice a day for a few weekends.

Ranger429
12-10-2009, 08:19 PM
If the road is dry take it out of 4wd. You can drive as fast as you want in 4 hi.

spikedzombies
12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
If the road is dry take it out of 4wd. You can drive as fast as you want in 4 hi.

yes, if its dry than always have the t-case in 2hi. IIRC you can keep the hubs locked if you feel safer that way.

Gillamonster
12-10-2009, 09:36 PM
yes, if its dry than always have the t-case in neutral. IIRC you can keep the hubs locked if you feel safer that way.

how will the truck drive then?? :goodfinge

The reason is there are slight differences in ring and pinion ratios front and rear, without being able to slip a little, it puts stress on your drivetrain.

jopes
12-10-2009, 09:40 PM
yes, if its dry than always have the t-case in neutral. IIRC you can keep the hubs locked if you feel safer that way.

how fast you go in Neutral? Gas millage good or bad?

spikedzombies
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
how will the truck drive then?? :goodfinge

The reason is there are slight differences in ring and pinion ratios front and rear, without being able to slip a little, it puts stress on your drivetrain.

really? didnt know that, guess ill keep them unlocked if I know im not going to be driving in the snow. I always kept them locked during the snow storms cause I could stop, pop the tcase into neutral and than go on driving in 2wd on the plowed roads. Than if i was to go through some side roads or whatnot I could just put it back into 4wd without getting out.

how fast you go in Neutral? Gas millage good or bad?

ive gone stupid yet again...

jopes
12-10-2009, 10:31 PM
really? didnt know that, guess ill keep them unlocked if I know im not going to be driving in the snow. I always kept them locked during the snow storms cause I could stop, pop the tcase into neutral and than go on driving in 2wd on the plowed roads. Than if i was to go through some side roads or whatnot I could just put it back into 4wd without getting out.

im trying to decide if thats sarcasm or not... :tinfoil unless i screwed something up again.. hubs locked, neutral tcase, in drive.. yeah that sounds right for what I was doing most of last winter, but I have a crappy memory anyways.

neutral? are you serious that you drive around in neutral?

spikedzombies
12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
neutral? are you serious that you drive around in neutral?

yeah I think i meant 2hi not neutral.. had to think about that extra long and hard :whiteflagseems like I cant go a few days without a stupid comment or something of the sort.

79fs351m
12-10-2009, 11:00 PM
since its just starting to snow here i have been driving in 2Hi with the hubs lock for about the past two weeks. I locked them in to go mudding and havent taken them out,this time of year it dont matter if you leave them in cuz of the snow here and there. You just dont wanna go offroading in the summer and drive around all year with them lookced in. It dont matter how fast you drive either.

Ranger429
12-10-2009, 11:05 PM
You could of locked the hubs in back in 79 and drove the truck forever like that, won't hurt anything. Don't leave the T-case in 4wd on dry ground and your fine.

Joe Deertay
12-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey not to high-jack any ones thread but since we're on the topic of 4wd and the snow's beginning to be more prevalent... I went to pull the 205 shifter back into 4hi from 2wd while in gear doing about 20mph and it began to chatter and grind so I immediately let off, but aren't you supposed to be able put it into 4hi while driving? or am I wrong?

jopes
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
if your hubs were not locked you cannot shift from 2h to 4h.

Joe Deertay
12-10-2009, 11:32 PM
if your hubs were not locked you cannot shift from 2h to 4h.

ah si senior.... gracias:doh0715:

ToughBronco
12-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Hubs stay locked all winter, t-case in 2hi when dry, then when I need 4x4, yank the lever back and good to go. :thumbup

bstang71
12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys, I was told this by a Dodge driver,something about the front end loading up. Glad to here I can leave the hubs locked,and just go between 2 and 4 wheel hi.

bstang71
12-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks

Ned
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys, I was told this by a Dodge driver,something about the front end loading up. Glad to here I can leave the hubs locked,and just go between 2 and 4 wheel hi.

And if I do you can have it, if I don't you can give me a call and I'll read you over the phone what it says word for word.:thumbup

Private message me if you're interested.

Happy to hear you got the Bronco on the road.

Cheers,
Rick.

vreference
12-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the issue is not a difference in ring and pinion ratios; this is determined by the ratio between the number of teeth on the ring gear compared to the pinion. If you have 35 ring gear teeth and 10 pinion teeth you have a 3.5 to 1 ratio no matter how the gears are shaped or what they are in.

It's the slight differences in tire sizes (caused by wear and/or manufacturing differences) that cause part time vehicles that have no center differential to bind.

79 Bronco 400
12-13-2009, 02:50 AM
You could of locked the hubs in back in 79 and drove the truck forever like that, won't hurt anything. Don't leave the T-case in 4wd on dry ground and your fine.

Well not exactly correct....if you leave the hubs locked in all year you will chew up your front tires eventually. Takes along time, but they wear bad on the edges of the tires. I know your thinking my alignment was off....not true. My alignment was perfect and I had a shop double check my alignment after having to put new tires on it.

I did notice a difference in turning with the hubs locked in on dry pavement. When you turn sharp with the hubs locked in, but not in 4 wheel drive, it wants to push instead of turn, which is what eats up the tires. Just something to consider when deciding whether to unlock the hubs or leave them locked all year around driving on dry pavement.

Gillamonster
12-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Well not exactly correct....if you leave the hubs locked in all year you will chew up your front tires eventually. Takes along time, but they wear bad on the edges of the tires. I know your thinking my alignment was off....not true. My alignment was perfect and I had a shop double check my alignment after having to put new tires on it.

I did notice a difference in turning with the hubs locked in on dry pavement. When you turn sharp with the hubs locked in, but not in 4 wheel drive, it wants to push instead of turn, which is what eats up the tires. Just something to consider when deciding whether to unlock the hubs or leave them locked all year around driving on dry pavement.

that should only be an effect if you have a traction aid in the front

stan the man
12-13-2009, 07:13 AM

I can't even turn my wheels on the street with just the hubs locked. I could when I had an open diff, but not with the locker.

vreference
12-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Locking the front hubs should not effect the way the truck drives or wears tires (beyond the marginal force it takes to drive the front axle). Most dodges and jeeps don't even have hubs (and they are the same Dana Axles). Some have a center disconnect but it's not required. Most people remove them for offroad use - it is a fuel saving measure just like selectable and automatic hubs - just not as effective.. You're just driving the axle shafts, diferential, and driveshaft.

If you can't steer with a locker in the front in 2HI you might want to go through your lockers diagnotic procedure to ensure it locks and unlocks appropriately. What you are describing sounds like it is locking up for some reason (which it certainly should not with no pinion load) 4HI/LO with the front locker is a different story; the truck will be nearly undrivable with an automatic locker in the front in 4WD with hubs locked on dry pavement.

79 Bronco 400
12-13-2009, 01:42 PM

I hear what you're saying and would agree with you, but I don't have a locker or anything like that on my Bronco. It's still the factory setup and I can tell you from personal experience that leaving the hubs locked in all year driving on dry pavement ate up my tires and there's nothing wrong with my suspension or alignment. And when I turned sharp, I could feel it wanting to "push" and the front tire skid across the pavement. But I'm also talking about turning the wheel as far as I can. But even then, its shouldn't do that one would think. But when I unlocked the hubs, it doesn't do that anymore. It doesn't push when I turn sharp. So I'm here to tell you from my experience that in my case it does make a difference if your hubs are locked in or not and it does effect tire wear; at least on my Bronco. I just want others to be aware of the possibility that it could happen on their Bronco also, cuz it happened to me.

Ranger429
12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Well not exactly correct....if you leave the hubs locked in all year you will chew up your front tires eventually.

You do know that they had a full time 4wd transfer case back then to right? It is the same as leaving your hubs locked in on a part time 4wd.

79 Bronco 400
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
You do know that they had a full time 4wd transfer case back then to right? It is the same as leaving your hubs locked in on a part time 4wd.

So how do I tell if I have one of those transfer cases or not? And if I have a full time transfer case, what's the point of having hubs to lock in if it's always in 4 wheel drive? I do know that when I don't have it in 4 wheel drive, the front tires will not spin. If I had a full time 4 wheel drive setup, the front tires would spin no matter what, correct???

Ranger429
12-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Read this thread and you'll be able to figure out what case you got. The T-case shift pattern is in the first post. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106384

Full time 4wd trucks did not come with hubs, they were always locked in.

Incorrect, being full time 4wd means the front axle is engaged all the time provided you have engaged the T-case.

If you had an All Wheel Drive (wasn't offered for 78-79's) your front wheels would spin no matter what.

79Time
12-13-2009, 05:39 PM
So how do I tell if I have one of those transfer cases or not? And if I have a full time transfer case, what's the point of having hubs to lock in if it's always in 4 wheel drive? I do know that when I don't have it in 4 wheel drive, the front tires will not spin. If I had a full time 4 wheel drive setup, the front tires would spin no matter what, correct???

If you have a full time transfer case then you won't have manual hubs (Or shouldn't) The transfer case selection will be something like 4 Hi PT 4Lo PT 4Hi LOC 4 Low Loc or something similar.

Do you have the NP205 or NP203 transfer case?

Hopper
12-14-2009, 04:32 AM
My TJ, and most Dodge pickups, don't even have hubs. All the junk in the front end turns 100% of the time unless something essential is broken. You can lock the hubs and never unlock them and it won't do anything at all except cause a TINY amount of drag and wear your front diff a little (which is also totally irrelevant).

79 Bronco 400
12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Read this thread and you'll be able to figure out what case you got. The T-case shift pattern is in the first post. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106384

Full time 4wd trucks did not come with hubs, they were always locked in.

Incorrect, being full time 4wd means the front axle is engaged all the time provided you have engaged the T-case.

If you had an All Wheel Drive (wasn't offered for 78-79's) your front wheels would spin no matter what.

According to the link you provided, I have the NP205 transfer case. And my Bronco is not full-time 4 wheel drive, according to your description that full time 4 wheel drive trucks don't have hubs. But this leads me back to the point I was trying to make that leaving your hubs locked in on dry pavement (at least on my Bronco) will eat up the front tires over time. I've experienced it first hand. Just don't want the same thing to happen to other guys...

vreference
12-15-2009, 12:25 AM
leaving your hubs locked in on dry pavement (at least on my Bronco) will eat up the front tires over time. I've experienced it first hand. Just don't want the same thing to happen to other guys...

Well, it could be that. Although, there are an awful lot of vehicles with the same axle that don't have selectable hubs - which means they are doing the same thing our axles are when we lock the hubs. Driving is far and away the simplest explanation for tire wear. I gather this was excessive wear on only the outside edge of each steering tire then?

Creepstah
12-15-2009, 04:36 AM
According to the link you provided, I have the NP205 transfer case. And my Bronco is not full-time 4 wheel drive, according to your description that full time 4 wheel drive trucks don't have hubs. But this leads me back to the point I was trying to make that leaving your hubs locked in on dry pavement (at least on my Bronco) will eat up the front tires over time. I've experienced it first hand. Just don't want the same thing to happen to other guys...

So you drove on dry pavement (basically sandpaper) over time and it ate up your front tires (which is where most of the weight of the vehicle and turning, stopping..ect, ect is absorbed) and you had some wear? I don't mean to come off as mean, but most here would probably agree that it has little to no relevance on tire wear. Maybe you had cheap tires, maybe you brake hard or turned alot. I just can't see having the hubs locked all the time having any affect on tire wear....but if it makes you feel better, Unlock em' when you aren't using them. :rockon

Bob G
12-15-2009, 07:54 AM
if you feel bucking or pushing ahead when your hubs were locked then you were in 4 wd. you will not notice anything with hubs locked and in 2wd. if you have a bad front u joint or diff bearings you would hear extra noise at road speed, thats it. maybe your t case shifter is not working correctly or you do not understand the shift pattern due to a missing label etc.

78bronco460
12-15-2009, 09:26 PM
if you feel bucking or pushing ahead when your hubs were locked then you were in 4 wd. you will not notice anything with hubs locked and in 2wd. if you have a bad front u joint or diff bearings you would hear extra noise at road speed, thats it. maybe your t case shifter is not working correctly or you do not understand the shift pattern due to a missing label etc.

Not true. You will definitely feel the difference with a locker or tight LS diff in the front on pavement with the hubs locked in 2wd. The rig steers harder, and there is some noise as the front driveline spins the t-case front output. The same is true to a lesser degree with an open diff.
Another issue is the front axleshaft u-joints will get some needless wear, especially when the rig is turning and they are operating in misalignment. Yes, this stuff is all made to do these things, but if it isn't necessary then I avoid the extra drivetrain wear and lock in the hubs when I am gonna use them.

Bob G
12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
i disagree, I got the feeling his was all stock, so there prob is not a locker or LS. besides the degree of tire wear he is attributing to locked hubs in 2wd does not make sense.
when i lived in New england for 33 years I locked hubs in at first snow and left them until spring, just shifting in and out of 4wd. no noise or tirewear or problems.

78bronco460
12-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Try it on dry pavement for yourself.

vreference
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM

I have, even with a lunchbox (which isn't as smooth as the detroit, although quieter) I didn't notice anything. I can hear the locker in sharper turns but certainly couldn't feel it through the steering wheel or in any other way. But my Aussie disengages easily; or at least it did the last time I checked it.

...but yes, anything that will allow the axle to bind will hinder steering. A spool, or a malfunctioning locker would be easily noticeable even with the front driveshaft freewheeling. The force required to make one side of a locker or open differential (that is working correctly) rotate is nothing compared to the other forces involved (steering and inertia of the vehicle.) I can spin a tire while the other is on the ground with one finger; which is why I can't feel mine through the steering.

Bob G
12-18-2009, 10:45 AM

i do every weekend on way to corner store then to local trails. that is in the bronco with 44 boggers or the cj with 35 x15.5 wide claws on 12" wheels, so in those i doubt i could notice anything additonal regarding noise or pushback. but I was refering to up in snow country i never had the issues of tire wear due to hubs locked.
So you agree that the tire wear he had was due to hubs locked? i cant see it.

78bronco460
12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I am not agreeing with the tire wear because of the hubs, I'm just saying that I could tell the hubs are locked by feel in all the 78/9's I've owned.
Front tire scrubbing is more due to the rear locker or spool in my rigs. If a person gives it some thought it will make sense... because the rear wants to go straight and pushes the front tires in a steer.

79FordBlake
12-20-2009, 12:23 AM
I partly agree with what 79Bronco400 is saying. I have NP205 t-case and lock in hubs, no locker in the front end. With t-case in 2wheel drive and hubs unlocked I can turn around in yard sharp and not tear up the grass. With t-case in 2wheel drive and hubs locked in if I turn in yard front tires tear up the grass.
I can tell when the hubs are locked in and when they are not going down the road also it turns differently. I use to run around with the hubs locked in alot and it did eat the edges off my tires. Now I leave them unlocked until I need them and it stoped the tire wear.

sincat23
12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
keep your tires rotated. front tires will end up chopping and the rears will wear the center out. if you keep rotating your tires all 4 will wear evenly. i usually rotate my 37 goodyear mts every time i change the oil. 3000 to 5000 miles and my tires look good and i keep my hubs locked in the winter.

Andrew James
12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Why do ya'll leave your hubs locked? I don't, it's snowing here and I spend the ten seconds to lock my hubs... Then unlock them when I'm done... But then again, I crawl under my truck to shift the transfer case manually too... xD

sincat23
12-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Its just easier if you start sliding around on the road to shift into 4 wheel drive to get u out of a slippery situation then pop it back into 2 wheel drive.the weather is so off and on in ohio that the main roads will be clear and the side roads will not be touched. its just preference. not right or wrong.

vreference
12-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Why do ya'll leave your hubs locked? I don't, it's snowing here and I spend the ten seconds to lock my hubs... Then unlock them when I'm done... But then again, I crawl under my truck to shift the transfer case manually too... xD

So every time you park you unlock the hubs only to lock them again the next time you drive? Also, wat?

Gacknar
12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
So every time you park you unlock the hubs only to lock them again the next time you drive?Yea, he is not known for brightness.

Those of you claiming to experience added tire wear and decreased turning radius with an open diff when the hubs locked and transfercase is in 2HI are either.......

A. Imagining it.

B. Have a mechanical problem of some type

or

C. Do not actually have an open front diff.

I have driven literally THOUSANDS of miles in my Bronco on hard dry asphalt and never noticed any of the symptoms you guys are claiming to experience. Heck I even forgot to unlock my hubs once and accidentally drove around for over a month before I went to re lock them and realized I never unlocked them.

As far as that goes I have driven hundreds of miles in front wheel drive with no rear drive shaft.

I have experienced none of these "Symtoms" you are reporting.

Now, I have a Trac-Lok in the front. I still don't have any of the turning radius problems or wear problems you guys claim, but I can feel the Trac-Lok giving me some steering feedback. It's not much, but I can notice it.

tbs-pops
12-16-2010, 09:33 PM

If you had a limited slip front diff then this is a problem wit running with the front hubs locked all the time. with an open diff then there is no problem. you have to know what you have.

78bronco460
12-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Yea, he is not known for brightness.

Those of you claiming to experience added tire wear and decreased turning radius with an open diff when the hubs locked and transfercase is in 2HI are either.......

A. Imagining it.

or

I have driven literally THOUSANDS of miles in my Bronco on hard dry asphalt and never noticed any of the symptoms you guys are claiming to experience. Heck I even forgot to unlock my hubs once and accidentally drove around for over a month before I went to re lock them and realized I never unlocked them.

As far as that goes I have driven hundreds of miles in front wheel drive with no rear drive shaft.

Now, I have a Trac-Lok in the front. I still don't have any of the turning radius problems or wear problems you guys claim, but I can feel the Trac-Lok giving me some steering feedback. It's not much, but I can notice it.

You also have a 1345 or 1356 T-case, right? This being the 78/9 forum, the BW cases are not relevant. Thanks for playing.

Andrew James
12-16-2010, 09:56 PM
So every time you park you unlock the hubs only to lock them again the next time you drive? Also, wat?

Whenever I park at my house, yes. I don't my truck much either though. Effin benjamins to fill it up. I have a Shiftster product on my electric transfer case.

Gacknar
12-17-2010, 09:51 AM
You also have a 1345 or 1356 T-case, right? This being the 78/9 forum, the BW cases are not relevant. Thanks for playing.Are you running a 203?

Because if your transfercase has a 2HI setting, everything I said is 100% accurate, and applies to any Ford truck with a part time transfercase, locking hubs, and an open front diff.

And any Chevrolet truck with a part time transfercase, locking hubs, and an open front diff.

And any Jeep with a part time transfercase, locking hubs, and an open front diff.

And any Dodge with a part time transfercase, locking hubs, and an open front diff.

And any Toyota with a part time transfercase, locking hubs, and an open front diff.

And any Nissan with a part time transfercase, locking hubs, and an open front diff.

awong658
12-19-2010, 10:19 PM
keep your tires rotated. front tires will end up chopping and the rears will wear the center out. if you keep rotating your tires all 4 will wear evenly. i usually rotate my 37 goodyear mts every time i change the oil. 3000 to 5000 miles and my tires look good and i keep my hubs locked in the winter.

I think you should try/keep rotating them if you arent..

Daniel
12-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Hubs stay locked all winter, t-case in 2hi when dry, then when I need 4x4, yank the lever back and good to go. :thumbup

This:rockon

Bob G
12-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Yea, he is not known for brightness.

A. Imagining it.

or

Old thread but i still agree! i have the same experince as you over the last 35 years.

losingxinsight
12-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Hey not to high-jack any ones thread but since we're on the topic of 4wd and the snow's beginning to be more prevalent... I went to pull the 205 shifter back into 4hi from 2wd while in gear doing about 20mph and it began to chatter and grind so I immediately let off, but aren't you supposed to be able put it into 4hi while driving? or am I wrong?

I thought you were able to shift onthe fly also, but mine just wont let me do it. All it wants to do is grind so I just stopped trying and if I need 4hi I just stop and put it in

Bob G
12-27-2010, 08:12 AM
you have a hub not locking in, either an Auto hub or man. they both can give trouble if not taken apart and serviced every so often.

gbrett
12-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I have owned my 79 bronco since may 2006 and have never unlocked the hubs with no adverse effects to my tires or drivetrain.

losingxinsight
12-28-2010, 12:47 AM
you have a hub not locking in, either an Auto hub or man. they both can give trouble if not taken apart and serviced every so often.

Yeah I just had them apart recently and they both do engage. Doesn't really bother me too much that I have to stop before shifting it.

As far as driving around with the hubs locked to me it is no different than riding around in something with automatic hubs where the axles are spinning all the time. The main thing you will see is your gas mileage will go down.

Gacknar
12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
you have a hub not locking in, either an Auto hub or man. they both can give trouble if not taken apart and serviced every so often.Or mismatched gears, or different sized tires, or wile making a turn, or wile spinning, or the T-Case has an internal problem.

As far as driving around with the hubs locked to me it is no different than riding around in something with automatic hubs where the axles are spinning all the time.Automatic hubs (If functional) do not work that way.

losingxinsight
12-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Or mismatched gears, or different sized tires, or wile making a turn, or wile spinning, or the T-Case has an internal problem.

Automatic hubs (If functional) do not work that way.

The Ones on my jeep did, but with all the problems that had who knows if it was suppose to

Bob G
12-30-2010, 08:46 AM
if your old jeep axles turned all the time the auto hubs did not work. auto hubs (even the newer ones like my 04 F150) are unlocked when not in 4x4. You can think as you want, i was just trying to help. if your t case grinds as you engage and your hubs are turned to lock your have issues. as above either t case issue or hubs and axles not engaged. it can only be one hub not working. if you can and care to, with truck parked and off and in 2wd, hubs locked climb under and try to turn front drive shaft. its should not turn more than 1/4 turn. if it does... look to see which side steering ujoint is turning, that will be the non working hub. if it does not turn , unlock both hubs. then shift to 4x4, try the same test, if shaft turns then bad t case.

79Broncoboy
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm wondering if I'm reading this correctly, I can be driving with my hubs locked in and in 2 wheel high ( as I always do here in ohio) and shift the transferr case into 4 hi as I drive? What speeds is this reccommended and not reccomennded? Id hate to tear my baby up but I always figured id have to stop to move the tcase lever!

379sinvb
01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
1979 Ford Bronco Owners Guide says and I quote "Shifts between 2H and 4H can be made in either direction while the vehicle is moving at a constant speed by shifting the transfer case shift lever to the desired position."

79Broncoboy
01-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Ok thank you! I did not know that...I believed that was only good for newer vehicles but that's great to know!

Gacknar
01-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Just remember the hubs must be locked to do this with a manual T-Case/hubs.

RiP
01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I have owned my 79 bronco since may 2006 and have never unlocked the hubs with no adverse effects to my tires or drivetrain.

Wow, I must have gotten some bad advice, I was told only lock the hubs when needed.

"Bronco" John Galt
01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Wow, I must have gotten some bad advice, I was told only lock the hubs when needed.

I believe auto hubs are basically cheap plastic geared hubs that stay locked all of the time.

Another way to think of the hubs being locked all of the time...your rear is. Why would it be bad for your front? As long as you aren't driving in four low at speed or on pavement, and only using four high when necessary, driving in two wheel drive with the hubs locked shouldn't be an issue.

Ranger429
01-26-2011, 08:22 PM

Hubs can stay locked for as long as you so desire. No damage will result from it.

I believe auto hubs are basically cheap plastic geared hubs that stay locked all of the time.

78-79 Bronco's did not have the auto hubs you are thinking of.

LarryP
01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Same as Ranger just said.

I leave the hubs locked on all my rigs and there driven daily. The only thing that will need attention and should be maintained more is the spindle bearings.

TheUnforgiven
01-26-2011, 09:48 PM

not only did 78-79 not have auto hubs as ranger said, but also, no, the auto hubs do not stay locked all the time.

RiP
01-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Hubs can stay locked for as long as you so desire. No damage will result from it

Sorry guys but you're gonna have to forgive my ignorance, This is my 1st 4wd and i am pretty much clueless,

Whats the purpose of locking/unlocking ? If you can leave it locked all the time then why is there a need to lock/unlock ?

Ranger429
01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
When they are unlocked it reduces minor wear and tear and maybe an ever slight increase in your MPG. When unlocked the front shafts are not spinning all the time. When winter comes around I leave the hubs on my PSD locked all the time. If I want 4wd I just reach down and pull the shifter back. No need to get out and lock/unlock the hubs.

Gacknar
01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I believe auto hubs are basically cheap plastic geared hubs that stay locked all of the time.That would be incorrect.

Dustball
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
When they are unlocked it reduces minor wear and tear and maybe an ever slight increase in your MPG. When unlocked the front shafts are not spinning all the time. When winter comes around I leave the hubs on my PSD locked all the time. If I want 4wd I just reach down and pull the shifter back. No need to get out and lock/unlock the hubs.
I agree- having your hubs locked in will result in lower MPG from driveline drag. Also if you haven't maintained your front driveline (greased all of the u-joints), you'll get faster wear and shorten the life of the u-joints. Many people don't think about greasing the front u-joints as they don't use 4wd at speed all that often and don't know when the joints are running dry.

If your joints are good and your diff oil is good- no problem driving with the hubs locked in or driving in 4wd at speed.

LarryB
01-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I would like to throw my 2 cents worth in. When you shift into 2h or 4h on the fly all wheels must be turning the same speed. I mean by that shift into 4 wheel befor you hit the ice or mud and have the rear wheels sliping, it will grind like heck then. In my 40 years of 4 wheeling that being 3 jeeps and a bronco ( never needed another 4 wheeler after I got the bronco) they all shifted good on the fly. Sometimes I had to stop and back up to get it out of 4 wheel all depending on how worn and miss matched the tires were and also how dry the ground was.