engine wont turn over after reinstalling transmission [Archive] - FSB Forums

: engine wont turn over after reinstalling transmission

corruption41
01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey guys I'm kind of stumped right now. We just put my transmission back in a couple of weeks ago and I went to put the torque converter bolts back on and the engine wouldn't turn over, and we had it running before we took it out, so any suggestions are appreciated. Anyway my truck is a 93 f150 with the 302 and E4OD transmission. Thanks alot guys

Rockford514
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Are you sure the toque converter was in all the way?

corruption41
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Yes Rock we put the converter in turned it until it seated and turned it a lil more and put a straight edge to it and it was seated, could it be that my transmission is binding up, my grandpa says its just condensation in the cylinders.

sackman9975
01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Torque converter not fully seated.

You might think it is, but its not. If the studs of the converter went into the flexplate without pulling it into the flexplate once tranny was bolted up, then the converter is the problem. The studs should just barely be into the holes of the flexplate, then you reach in through the starter hole and pull the converter the rest of the way through.

AbandonedBronco
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
That's what I'm thinking. It still sounds like the TC isn't fully seated. I accidentally did this on my car when I put the engine and tranny back together, and the engine would barely turn a 1/4" when I tried to start it. Took it apart, seated it correctly, and it fired right up.

waltman
01-06-2010, 11:21 AM
When you say wont turn over, you mean if you try to turn the motor over by hand even it just wont...I would say torque converter is not fully seated, otherwise it is more likely an electrical problem

Shane C.
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
When you say wont turn over, you mean if you try to turn the motor over by hand even it just wont...I would say torque converter is not fully seated, otherwise it is more likely an electrical problem

X2. Could be something as simple as the starter not being wired in correctly. Or, the TC is not seated depending on what "wont turn over" means...

shad351
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Dont full tighten tranny bolts w/o tc engagaed or you crack front pump housing= BADDDDDDD NEWS>

sackman9975
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Simple test to confirm torque converter.

You said you can't turn the motor over to bolt the converter up. Well if you have one nut on the converter, take it off. Then push on the stud to see if the converter will slide back to the point where the stud is barely into the hole. If it does, then the converter isn't at fault. If it doesn't move back, then its bound up from the converter not setting into the front pump properly.

corruption41
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Okay one more problem i accidentally striped the torque converter nut, And the transmission is tightened all the way, does this mean i ruined the pump? and it seems like im taking 2 steps foward and 3 back, plus this is my first vehicle to, but nonethe less its a great learning experince for a younger guy like myself,lol

waltman
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Okay one more problem i accidentally striped the torque converter nut, And the transmission is tightened all the way, does this mean i ruined the pump? and it seems like im taking 2 steps foward and 3 back, plus this is my first vehicle to, but nonethe less its a great learning experince for a younger guy like myself,lol

That clears nothing up for me as for my question, but you do have to remove the tranny now to retap the threads you stripped.

corruption41
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh sorry Waltman, and yes it wont turn over by hand,and no I mean I rounded the head off of the nut a little bit, sorry for the confusion of words, im sick so i cant think all that well right now.

sackman9975
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Okay one more problem i accidentally striped the torque converter nut, And the transmission is tightened all the way, does this mean i ruined the pump?

Stripped the nut as in rounded the edges? Or messed the threads?

Its hard to so if you ruined the pump, it is possible. Most guys that do this get lucky. Pray your one of those guys.

corruption41
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah Sackman as in rounded the edges off a little bit and I'm afraid to do anymore damage to it. Man I really hope I didn't mess anything up.

Rockford514
01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Pray for luck ,lot of times the pump gets broke

corruption41
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
dang it.... If the pump is broken, do you have to send it to a transmission shop, and if so I'm out of luck there,because I'm only 16 and don't have that much money. I guess I better start saving my pennies

corruption41
01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Ok guys i finally got it to turn over yesterday. Me and my cousin double teamed it with me at the flywheel and him at the crank bolt, so after we loosend it up it was turning over with just him on the bolt, now my question is i went to turn it over by hand again a little while after we did that and i cant turn it over again, If my torque converter wasnt seated would it turn over? and if not, i guess i let it sit for to long with out starting it.

waltman
01-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Take the thing apart already! If it takes two guys to turn over the motor, something just isn't right and it's very very likely the converter is not seated.

sackman9975
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Take the thing apart already! If it takes two guys to turn over the motor, something just isn't right and it's very very likely the converter is not seated.

:stupid

AbandonedBronco
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
No. When I did mine improperly, the TC wasn't seated all the way, and that motor was JAMMED. I couldn't get it to turn over to save my life. I, too, thought it was something else. Replaced the starter (at least got a new starter out of it), starter solenoid, checked wiring, etc. But a improperly seated TC will jam the engine so hard it won't budge.

Finally pulled them apart, seated it correctly, and put it back together, and it fired right up the first try. Just be glad you don't have to do it in a compact front wheel drive car.

corruption41
01-11-2010, 08:47 PM
yeah i finally got my tranmision out and fixed my converter, and got it to turn over by my self

TheUnforgiven
01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
well how about that? several different people telling you the same thing, and damned they were right! :goodfinge

good on ya for yanking it yourself and sticking with it though. :thumbup

and your engine won't not turn over because of "condensation" in the cylinders. it would take damned near FOREVER for the engine rust itself together. gramps was wrong.

corruption41
01-11-2010, 11:21 PM
See the thing was I thought it was the converter or the trans in the first place because it turned over right before we mated it and he said no, so yeah and thanks, that big ole monster of a trans sure is hefty for two young guns,lol.

TheUnforgiven
01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
that e4od is a heavy mofo. almost 300lbs i believe.

crcustoms
01-11-2010, 11:54 PM
good work man. remove and replace on the E4OD is a big job. if you can do that you can probably do most things on that truck.

96_Eddiebauer
01-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Glad you got it working. I just had the same issue in Chev Tahoe I just built a motor for. It wasnt seated all the way and broke the pump!

Just pulled trans last night, now it's getting a fresh trans, AND motor. Im not happy, but lesson learned

AbandonedBronco
01-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Glad to hear it's all good. Been there, done that. Got it all together and now have to pull it all back apart again. Sucks especially when it's an engine and tranny.
Nice work!

steve_4vgt
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I did the same thing in my 69 Mustang, I got a wrong TC from the builder, it wouldn't seat all the way. I ended up having to rebuild it myself in my garage.

corruption41
01-12-2010, 12:41 PM
good work man. remove and replace on the E4OD is a big job. if you can do that you can probably do most things on that truck.

yeah this is the second time we pulled it out, The first time we put it back in in two or three hours, this time was fast, and now all I got to do is tighten down all the bolts and and put my starter in and fill up my tranny then do my brakes, and it should be good to go hopefully.:thumbup

corruption41
01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I did the same thing in my 69 Mustang, I got a wrong TC from the builder, it wouldn't seat all the way. I ended up having to rebuild it myself in my garage.

Man that must have sucked big time. How hard was it to rebuild your transmission? And would you do it again if you had to or take it to a shop?

corruption41
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Glad you got it working. I just had the same issue in Chev Tahoe I just built a motor for. It wasnt seated all the way and broke the pump!

Just pulled trans last night, now it's getting a fresh trans, AND motor. Im not happy, but lesson learned

Man that sucks, well atleast your getting a whole new system out of it:rockon

JKossarides
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I hope you replaced that TC nut that was damaged for the next time.....getting the tranny lined up at the back of the engine is very important and once that's done tightening up the TC nuts/bolts will "seat" the TC because they keep the TC in place.....otherwise the bolts can keep the engine from turning over.....something to keep in mind for the next time...OK..

Glad you got it sorted out Brother.......:beer

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

corruption41
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I hope you replaced that TC nut that was damaged for the next time.....getting the tranny lined up at the back of the engine is very important and once that's done tightening up the TC nuts/bolts will "seat" the TC because they keep the TC in place.....otherwise the bolts can keep the engine from turning over.....something to keep in mind for the next time...OK..

Glad you got it sorted out Brother.......:beer

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

yeah man i replaced that converter nut, Cool i will remember that for the next time, hopefully there wont be a next time :thumbup. Yeah im glad eveythings good now, well hopefully it will drive because ive never droven it since i got it, so hopefully it will be road worthy lol

jas88
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I can't believe that after you forced it to turn it didn't wreck your pump. Way back when I was in HS auto mech class the instructor told us to try and get our fingers behind the TC, if you can then it is not seated all the way in. This method has worked for me for 30+ years.

AbandonedBronco
01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I can only attest that sometimes they don't. When I put my engine and TC together, I didn't seat the TC at all (never dealt with an auto before.) I tightened the bolts down until the engine and tranny were flat together and then installed the engine. After it wouldn't start and finding out what I did, I let it sit for 4 months due to frustration. Finally pulled it apart, inspected the engine and tranny, and came to the conclusion there wasn't an ounce of damage. Reinstalled it all correctly and fired it up. Been driving it for a year and put 5k miles on it since then without any problems. I'm still not sure what gave, since I had to torque those bolts down pretty hard to get the engine and tranny to come together without a seated torque converter. :shrug

jas88
01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah but you didn't turn it in that condition, right? It's the turning when bound up that usually wrecks the pump.

AbandonedBronco
01-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I tried turning it way too many times more than I'd like to admit. I thought the starter went out since I dropped it during the install. Each time the engine would turn about a 1/4".
Like I said... :shrug Lol. Luck I guess.

jas88
01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah I always say if you don't *know* what you are doing is killing your truck then you might get away with it.

BIGED1987
01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, good to hear there are lots of other people that have done this. Sucks you had to find out the hard way, but once you do it, you typically won't do it again. I did this to my '87 when I rebuilt the motor a few years ago and almost forgot that I tried to get the motor to turn and it was so friggin frustrating. Glad you didn't hurt anything, good job!

bronco1
01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I measure from the block to the flywheel at the t/c bolt holes and then measure from the bellhousing surface of the transmission to the torque convertor surface at the bolts to make sure the T/C is seated.

corruption41
01-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I can't believe that after you forced it to turn it didn't wreck your pump. Way back when I was in HS auto mech class the instructor told us to try and get our fingers behind the TC, if you can then it is not seated all the way in. This method has worked for me for 30+ years.

Ok if you did damage the pump. When you started the truck up would transmission fluid fly all over the place? because if so I got lucky