Turn Signal Lever Won't Stay Down [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Turn Signal Lever Won't Stay Down

ECAPS
02-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Just as the title says, my turn signal lever won't stay down (locked) when I push it down to make a left hand turn. Making a right hand turn the lever will stay in position.

Is this the part I need? - Turn Signal Cam /Motormite (Autozone) I do have tilt wheel.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=4916_0_0_6167&skuDescription=Motormite+/+Turn+Signal+Cam&brandName=Motormite&displayName=Turn+Signal+Cam&categoryNValue=&sortType=&store=789&isSearchByPartNumber=&fromWhere=&fromString=&counter=0&itemId=465-0&navValue=15700465&filterByKeyWord=&productId=4916&searchText=&categoryDisplayName=Electrical+%26+Lighting&parentId=57-0

liltimmy08
02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Ill be watching this, both my rigs have that issue.

EMO42
02-18-2010, 07:54 AM
those metal clips wear out and break. they hold the signal lever down or up. i know on some older cars you can buy just the clips, but for $10 definately buy that whole setup. may as well replace it all being the steering wheels going to be off.

bigblueford
02-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Yep. both mine that way also. My 89 just recently broke - gotta hold down the left on both the 89 and 90, but the rights stay clicked in. New cams ready to go in when I get a "round tuit".

breadman
02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
easier to replace the whole switch!

91 bronc
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Dont use the motormite one it does not work,use the shee-mar one its better.I know from experiance

2skrudeup
02-18-2010, 01:38 PM
where can you get the shee-mar one at? I went to their website and cant get the page to show up. I saw another thread on fsb somewhere and he had to clip an 1/8th or 1/16th inch or so off the motormite one to get it to work

JoeBronc
02-18-2010, 02:11 PM
easier to replace the whole switch!

yes this is true however the whole switch is like $80 at your local parts stores... unless you know of a better source?

91 bronc
02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I believe the part # is sh-16 just call them they are in colorado quick shipping everything was 20 bucks delivered.

91 bronc
02-18-2010, 02:27 PM
motormite is crap i tried it does not work sheemar is like factory turn cam

mickaila
02-18-2010, 03:29 PM
i ordered teh whole thing from JBG.. pretty expensive.

the cheap one from vato zone doesn't work.

desertrunner735
02-19-2010, 01:18 AM
signal broke ! watch for finger!lol!

AbandonedBronco
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Same thing happened to mine, except it was backwards. Both sides would click in to place, but left wouldn't turn off after I straighted out. It was some little pieces of plastic on that cam.

Agreed with everyone else, the $10 versions simply DO NOT work. I can't believe they can even sell them. It's not like they work 'okay', they just don't work at all. I ordered mine from AutoKrafters. Junk.
I eventually just grabbed a few from a junk yard. The first one I put in has lasted a few years already.

forbye
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
NAPA Online
Turn Signal Switch Assembly
Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical
Comments: w/ Tilt Wheel
MPE DL6133SB Price $54.49

Mine is in the sh*t I gotta install box:banghead

1ATony
02-19-2010, 02:05 PM
yes this is true however the whole switch is like $80 at your local parts stores... unless you know of a better source?

We sell replacement switches for Ford Broncos,he's a link to them on our site.

Ford Bronco Turn Signal Switch (http://www.1aauto.com/1A/turn-signal-lever/Ford/BroncoFullSize?utm_source=fullsizebronco&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=1ATony)

JKossarides
02-19-2010, 02:15 PM
IIRC, Steve 83 stated the aftermarket "Cams" aren't worth shite, too much mod to make it work but that Ford OEM ran around $100.00 +, I think Napa probaly has a decent quality product or maybe 1A Auto doesn't look like a bad price........

You still have to tear down the steering wheel, unplug the harness in the column and slide that half partial harness attached to the "Cam" out thru the first metal column collar and over the steering wheel shaft, I think there 3 screws on the cam......

Go for a good quality product so it lasts longer............

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1ATony
02-19-2010, 02:24 PM
The switches that we sell do have all of the connections to make the job easy and plug right into the stock harness with no mods.

91 bronc
02-19-2010, 03:49 PM
The cam itself is only one little bolt and 2 wires to connect did it on mine recently still fresh in memory

ad5mb
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
can't see how changing the whole switch could be easy. mine comes to a screeching halt when the connector reaches the back of the aluminum casting. won't come through, and the casting does not come apart

JKossarides
02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I have to believe thru the years that most of these Cam set ups are very similar, check out this thread by Bronco Boy, Ignition Actuator Replacement on an '85 w/tilt and look at post #2, it shows the directional signal cam with one hex screw in the center and 2 phillips screws just underneath the cam, circled in red.... and 2 more screws to the right, lower actuator "keeper block" screw and hazard ground screw IIRC...which also has to be removed....

Once you get the cam which has a "collar" off the steering shaft you'll notice 3 screws, circled in red for the "first metal column collar" that houses the key cylinder so it can be removed, along with the lower actuator, key cylinder and timing drive gear inside...........so doing the directional Signal Cam is almost like doing the "upper ignition actuator" PITA....lol lol

However after this it doesn't show the second metal collar being taken off, the one where the upper actuator sits in that track with the column shifter but I have to believe there are more screws......or you can slide the harness/connector part thru......Ford did it some how during mfging.......

Good Luck ~

Canoeboy146
02-20-2010, 11:00 PM
I replaced the switch on my 90 last week. The part was about $60 from Autozone. I considered replacing only the cam but decided to just spend the extra cash and replace the whole thing since it was already 20 years old.

HCCAFan
02-20-2010, 11:04 PM
NIce thread. Gotta do this before inspection.

impalaslayer
02-20-2010, 11:07 PM
NAPA Online
Turn Signal Switch Assembly
Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical
Comments: w/ Tilt Wheel
MPE DL6133SB Price $54.49

Mine is in the sh*t I gotta install box:banghead

i just replaced mine because the signals just wernt working and this is the one i used, its kind of a pain to install, gotta take apart alot of crap to get the old one out and new one back in.

2skrudeup
02-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I just ordered the switch and an ignition actuator from 1A. I'm going to give them a try. Now soon as it warms up, I can get out and fix mine. They are shipping for free.:rockon