: Cost to Reseal windshield

jermil01
02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm beginning to think I have a leak coming from my windshield on the driver's side. Anyone have recently have this done, and if so, how much should I expect to pay? Thanks.

Hefty
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I got my entire windshield replaced for under $200 so I would assume it's not that pricey. It will change for place to place so call some local windshield replacement companies and find out

Audra
02-22-2010, 10:38 AM
It isn't that bad to do it yourself either. I have done it a few times. I have pics on this forum somewhere. Just do not use por 15 around a windshield.

Redwagon
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
autozone carries window urethane in a tube, just back fill from the inside any areas you think are leaking.

Audra
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
When I back-filled my window continued to leak. It took removing the windshield and reinstalling with the new urethane to do the trick.

Yeah I might've tried to do it the quick and easy way first :brownbag

It is really an easy job. Easily done in an evening.

Joes93Bronco
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Mine has been leaking like crazy. Had the windshield replaced when I lived in Vegas and when I moved back here to the cold and rain it started leaking and gradually got worse. I had it re-sealed a couple of years ago and it is leaking all over again. I think it is the actual GLASS that is the problem as we can't find any holes, but the glass itself is discoloring on the drivers side in the exact spot the leak is the worst. It is right over my shifter lever.

When it rains outside it rains inside. I have pretty much had it tarped all winter this year. Is pretty funny tho...........when I take a left turn all the water runs to the passenger side and pours out onto my wife. She pretty much refuses to get into my truck now.

I think my issue is a result of having the glass installed in a hot dry climate and then moving here. Almost like the expansion/contraction from the cold has done something to the glass itself. I am just going to remove it and have the glass replaced. Will give me a chance to inspect the body around the glass and do any repairs.

AUBronco
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I went to get mine done and they said I needed a new windshield. It was going to cost $187 to put in a whole new unit. Something about to many rock chips was the reason they couldn't salvage my old one :brownbag.

jermil01
02-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the info..I'm thinking mine popped years ago from flexing, the driver's side floor has gotten wet every time after a rain, and it's been that way for year. I just can't see anywhere else it would come in. Anyway, this is something I definitely don't want tackle myself..I could see it ending badly, shattered safety glass all over my driveway, no thanks.. Those prices aren't bad, guess I'll check with some places this week.

Hefty
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Windshield isn't safety glass(tempered) its just laminated glass. It won't blow into a thousand pieces all over the driveway

Redwagon
02-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I went to get mine done and they said I needed a new windshield. It was going to cost $187 to put in a whole new unit. Something about to many rock chips was the reason they couldn't salvage my old one :brownbag.

I just payed $60 for a new w/shield installed, I guess it pays to know glass installers....:goodfinge

Rockford514
02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Try calling MoonLight auto glass,they have done a few for me,right at the house.

speedy srt4
02-22-2010, 01:41 PM
changing the glass in our trucks are the easiest thing, if u can change oil, do a SAS, the windshield is a walk in the park, all u need is the clip tool to remove chrome mlding olfa knife to slowly cut urethane, u have to watch though if u have to many stonechips its not worth saving cuz they will spread, the amount of crud that gets under the mldings causes the pinchweld to rust and the urethane wont and can't stick to rust, so they might charge u extra for rust cleanup, and ? just pm me i do auto glass all day long

Robs79BBbronco
02-22-2010, 02:10 PM
.........when I take a left turn all the water runs to the passenger side and pours out onto my wife. She pretty much refuses to get into my truck now.

NICE!.......any more info on this mod?:thumbup

jermil01
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Windshield isn't safety glass(tempered) its just laminated glass. It won't blow into a thousand pieces all over the driveway

Didn't know that. Thanks.

I just payed $60 for a new w/shield installed, I guess it pays to know glass installers....:goodfinge

Sounds like you got a helluva deal there.

Try calling MoonLight auto glass,they have done a few for me,right at the house.

Where are these guys located? Are they in Jax?

changing the glass in our trucks are the easiest thing, if u can change oil, do a SAS, the windshield is a walk in the park, all u need is the clip tool to remove chrome mlding olfa knife to slowly cut urethane, u have to watch though if u have to many stonechips its not worth saving cuz they will spread, the amount of crud that gets under the mldings causes the pinchweld to rust and the urethane wont and can't stick to rust, so they might charge u extra for rust cleanup, and ? just pm me i do auto glass all day long

That's good to know, but I have one pretty decent size chip maybe about an 1 inch vertical crack that I am guessing will require me to replace the windshield.

BRONCONUT
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I just had Ford glass installed in mine for 250. He said the ford glass was less likely to crack and fit better. I also tossed in an extra 20 for him keeping it at his buisness for 2 weeks while I was gone. He also charged a little extra for the visor being a PITA for the instal.

Rockford514
02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Where are these guys located? Are they in Jax?

Yes Jax Fla.

badass1tonf100
02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Safe-lite did mine. $180.00 new windshield install

AUBronco
02-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Doesn't count when you take them a truck that is missing a windshield already from say a....... roll over. Half the work is already done. :goodfinge

Redwagon
02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Doesn't count when you take them a truck that is missing a windshield already from say a....... roll over. Half the work is already done. :goodfinge

:goodfinge