Mud flap law? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Mud flap law?

exclamation_mark
03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Is it a law in Oregon that you have some sort of mud flap installed on a truck (Bronco) if it's lifted?

BroncoJunkie88
03-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes, and your tires can't stick out of the side fender well without flares, but those really depend on the officers mood lol.

exclamation_mark
03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Lame. Well i found a decent set, have the Ford oval on them. How are you supposed to attach the things with only that small piece of the body there to work with?

BroncoJunkie88
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Not real sure.... you can always use a heavy duty set of zip ties so your at least legal if it's an issue where you are :thumbup

mickaila
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
there is a great write up on removable ones

shadowcaster
03-08-2010, 11:51 PM
If it's anything like Washington, the flaps have to hang down to the center of the wheel, nothing higher, lower is ok. I also had a cop tell me recently that I needed front flaps as well, which seemed pretty nitpicky to me. I could spend hours here locally taking pics of many local vehicles that are lited with no flaps at all, no flares, nothing (like my buddy's Rubicon). I agree it totally depends on the officer's mood...........:banghead

Vannnce
03-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah same. My buddy got pulled over because his mud flaps were 2 inches too short. As for the front, i didnt think we needed them here in WA?
I dont rock 'em
After mines lifted im just gonna get some big ones off like a semi that hang from the rear bumper

-Vance

Gillamonster
03-09-2010, 12:00 AM
in oregon the highest allowed space behind the tires is 27" im at 30 inches off the ground and got pulled for it, put mud flaps on,
heres my write up on removables http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140470

heres the legal of it

5) Does my vehicle need mud flaps/mud guards?

Answer: Non commercial vehicles (under 8,000 lbs.) need fenders or mud guards (mud flaps) within 27 inches of the pavement behind all wheels. Commercial vehicles need fenders or mudguards (mud flaps) within 10 inches behind all wheels. (ORS 815.180)
Fenders and mud guards (mud flaps) must cover the entire tread width of the tire(s). (ORS 815.180)

6) How far can a vehicle sit off the ground before mud flaps are required?

Answer: For a vehicle that is less than 8,000 lbs the law states: "...fenders or mudguards must extend in full width from a point on the wheels that is above and forward of the center of the tire over a point at the rear of the wheel that is not more than 27 inches above the surface of the highway." ORS 815-180 (2) (c) The issue is not how far the truck can sit off the ground so much as making sure that fenders or mud flaps are in place not more than 27 inches from the surface of the highway.

7) Where do you measure that height from, lowest point of back bumper?

Answer: As stated above, you would measure the height from the ground and make sure it is not more than 27 inches.

8) How far are tires allowed to stick out from the side of a vehicle before you must get fender flares?

Answer: A fender or mudguard must cover the complete width of the tires tread. This is in ORS 815.180 (1) (a). The fender or mudguard must also be of sufficient size and constructed so that it is capable of deflecting or arresting any dirt, mud, water or other substance that may be picked up and carried on the wheels.

exclamation_mark
03-09-2010, 01:42 AM
in oregon the highest allowed space behind the tires is 27" im at 30 inches off the ground and got pulled for it, put mud flaps on,
heres my write up on removables http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140470

heres the legal of it

5) Does my vehicle need mud flaps/mud guards?

Answer: Non commercial vehicles (under 8,000 lbs.) need fenders or mud guards (mud flaps) within 27 inches of the pavement behind all wheels. Commercial vehicles need fenders or mudguards (mud flaps) within 10 inches behind all wheels. (ORS 815.180)
Fenders and mud guards (mud flaps) must cover the entire tread width of the tire(s). (ORS 815.180)

6) How far can a vehicle sit off the ground before mud flaps are required?

Answer: For a vehicle that is less than 8,000 lbs the law states: "...fenders or mudguards must extend in full width from a point on the wheels that is above and forward of the center of the tire over a point at the rear of the wheel that is not more than 27 inches above the surface of the highway." ORS 815-180 (2) (c) The issue is not how far the truck can sit off the ground so much as making sure that fenders or mud flaps are in place not more than 27 inches from the surface of the highway.

7) Where do you measure that height from, lowest point of back bumper?

Answer: As stated above, you would measure the height from the ground and make sure it is not more than 27 inches.

8) How far are tires allowed to stick out from the side of a vehicle before you must get fender flares?

Answer: A fender or mudguard must cover the complete width of the tires tread. This is in ORS 815.180 (1) (a). The fender or mudguard must also be of sufficient size and constructed so that it is capable of deflecting or arresting any dirt, mud, water or other substance that may be picked up and carried on the wheels.

So if i measure from the ground to the lowest point of my rear bumper as long as it is not over 27 inches then i do not need the mud flaps? (legally) Did i read that correctly?

Gillamonster
03-09-2010, 02:52 AM
to the highest point, on my bumper, the outside edges are higher off the ground than the middle, so thats where they measure from, but to be exact, there has to be something within 27" of the ground behind the tires full width, print that out and carry it with you so if the cops give you grief you can show them the law

exclamation_mark
03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
to the highest point, on my bumper, the outside edges are higher off the ground than the middle, so thats where they measure from, but to be exact, there has to be something within 27" of the ground behind the tires full width, print that out and carry it with you so if the cops give you grief you can show them the law

I draw enough attention as it is in my Bronco. I will most likely just break down and build some of the removable ones similar to the ones i have seen here. The place where i buy steel just stopped selling in to the public so i have to find another place, darnit.

shadowcaster
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah same. My buddy got pulled over because his mud flaps were 2 inches too short. As for the front, i didnt think we needed them here in WA?
I dont rock 'em
After mines lifted im just gonna get some big ones off like a semi that hang from the rear bumper

-Vance

I didn't think so either, but he insisted I do. I think he was just trying scare me a little by drumming up stuff he could ticket me for. I rarely see front mud flaps on anything but a semi.

exclamation_mark
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
there were 2 instances when our local men in blue got behind me yesterday, i was sure i would have been pulled over especially after i went through a puddle on the street and he had to back off because of the road spray. The other was a motorcycle cop, i ride a bike myself and know about getting behind large trucks and the crap they kick up, neither did anything. I suppose it really is about the mood of the officer because they both could have....

brO_J
03-13-2010, 01:10 PM
weld a pipe under the frame (square or round) then attach the flaps to a tube (square or round) that will fit in the one welded to the frame and drill a whole through both so you can stick a cotter pin through then they are removable

OldsRocket
03-13-2010, 02:40 PM
weld a pipe under the frame then attach the flaps or something through then they are removable to a tube that will fit in the one welded to the frame and drill a whole through both so you can stick a cotter pin through that way they are removable

This is what Paul did last year and posted a link to above. He used square tube rather than round but same effect.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140470

highboy74
05-17-2010, 02:57 AM
I had a friend was a cop tell me a brand new vehicle off a show room floor legally has over 700 things it could be ticketed for...cops have bad days just like the rest of us...

Weber
05-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I got a mudflap ticket once by a bike cop on coburg rd. The good thing is that it is just a "fix-it" ticket so if you take pictures with mud flaps, show them to the clerk at the court, they just drop it right there.

I've been warned a few times that I should get some mud flaps and fender flares but have not received any other citations for it and I should definately have them. Again, typically it will only be the bike cops that issue the tickets as most other officers don't know the law. My buddy just got a fender flare ticket coming down 30th by LCC by a bike cop.

Up to you.

crazyjay
05-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I was pulled for flaps, I went down and picked up some cheep ones , stuck them on it and they hang to the center of the axel. Wa law on it. He did not say a thing about the front but I stuck em on anywway.

He has seen me after and not pulled me.

4eyelove
06-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Yes, and your tires can't stick out of the side fender well without flares, but those really depend on the officers mood lol.

thats basically what california and alaskas law is...