Why does my car clunk when i put it in gear, reverse, or just come to a regular stop? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Why does my car clunk when i put it in gear, reverse, or just come to a regular stop?

CalebTaylor
05-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Is it my U joints? or something else

offroadkarter
05-14-2010, 09:36 PM
radius arm bushings bad? Mine were and it was clunking

Edit: wait is it clunking when you put it in gear, or when you put it in gear and start rolling?

CalebTaylor
05-14-2010, 09:49 PM
when i put it in gear
it sounds metal to metal

DBBT
05-14-2010, 10:08 PM
when i put it in gear
it sounds metal to metal

That is more than likely your u joints.

BroncoRN
05-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Check tranny fluid level, grease slipjoint in driveshaft, look at your rear brakes.

CalebTaylor
05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Ill try those things ^^
but i dont see how it could be my U joints

BroncoRN
05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
If ujoints are bad they won't hold the joint in place tightly. So when torque is applied it'll let it slip as the bearings are no longer tightly packed. That could be the clunk. Usually you'll get some vibrations through driveshaft if ujoints go bad.

CalebTaylor
05-15-2010, 04:47 AM
yaa and ive heard u joints last the life of the car but in trucks i know its typically a different story
ill give that a shot an hope it helps

muffinman944
05-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Make sure your driveshaft is bolted tightly to the transfer case. I was getting a clunking sound...turns out thats what it was.

CalebTaylor
05-15-2010, 03:08 PM
my driveshaft was bolted tightly to my TC. So im hoping its U joints

slim68
05-16-2010, 10:21 PM
It could possibly be your rear end also. I just rebuilt mine and the clunking went away.

Shane C.
05-16-2010, 11:26 PM
What kind of car is it?

CalebTaylor
05-17-2010, 01:36 AM
1996 5.8L bronco

Tony R
05-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Does the clunk come from the front or rear of the car?

rhauf
05-17-2010, 02:04 AM
U joints it forward/reverse does it (without touching the brakes)

if pressing the brakes makes it clunk, it's ball joints or radius arm bushings.

my guess is U joints. (then radius arms, ball joints being the least likely)

CalebTaylor
05-17-2010, 02:19 AM
well when i push on the brakes and the car moves forward then back as it comes to a halt you hear a clunk that is metal to metal sounding
almost like a grinding noise

BroncBuster15
05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
ive got cluncking in mine to it sounds like its coming from the trans wen its put into gear but turns out its my pinion bearing in my rear end mite wanna check that while ur at it

Demonio Irelandes
05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Is it my U joints? or something else

You check the trans mount?

brO_J
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
You check the trans mount?

x2 I had a similiar problem and it was my trans mount

351w500
05-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Mine was caused by the spider gears being worn real bad, The mechanic that went to install my Detroit Truetrac showed me hou bad they were. The Truetrac eliminated these parts so all was fixed, The problem was worst when actually leaving a stop.

Crash138
05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
yaa and ive heard u joints last the life of the car but in trucks i know its typically a different story

the only thing that can be expected to last the life of the car is the vin# plate ;)

Ive never had u joints last longer that 100k, but i also drive with heavy foot... they are designed to be the weekest part of the drive train and go out before something more important/costly does... this doesnt always happen of course... as far as I know the ones that have the grease zerks built in will last longer if properly maintained but u joints are a wear item just like brake pads...

rhauf
05-18-2010, 01:37 AM

This depends on what you consider "life of the car" too. some people send it to the junkyard when it's at 100k miles and the paint is faded, and they've spilled too much mc. donalds in the interior and it smells like mold.

IMO the "life of a car" is more or less indefinite, if you keep repairing it, it'll last forever, i see no particular failure which is big enough to deem a car junk, a car becomes junk when it's in such a state of disrepair and neglect that it becomes unappealing to own/drive. if something is maintained it'll never reach that point (nothing i own will, for instance)

Crash138
05-18-2010, 01:57 AM
tranny mounts are designed to wear out too....

Worthy
05-18-2010, 05:28 AM
What kind of car is it?

Unfortunately there isn't a pre-noob section, lol. ;)

This depends on what you consider "life of the car" too. some people send it to the junkyard when it's at 100k miles and the paint is faded, and they've spilled too much mc. donalds in the interior and it smells like mold.

IMO the "life of a car" is more or less indefinite, if you keep repairing it, it'll last forever, i see no particular failure which is big enough to deem a car junk, a car becomes junk when it's in such a state of disrepair and neglect that it becomes unappealing to own/drive. if something is maintained it'll never reach that point (nothing i own will, for instance)

Couldn't have said it better! :beer

Dustball
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Clunking can come from anywhere in the driveline- as parts get older, the wear gets worse. The backlash in the rear diff to u-joints to backlash in the t-case. More than likely, it's just normal wear in the rear diff.

Demonio Irelandes
05-18-2010, 11:17 PM
While U joints are a common point of failure and noise (went through 8 or 9 on my TW driveshaft on the Jeep), something that's easy to over look on these older rigs are the rubber/bushed mounts that hold heavy/torque handling parts.

Another odd noise that came from my Bronco when I first got it home was the back seat. It had lots of slop in the latch and it would make a heavy clunk sound just like yours would. Removing the rear seat made the noise go away, until I could feel/hear another noise - the trans mount. I was quite suprised to see how little bushing was left on my '85.

CalebTaylor
05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
what do you mean the trans mount like the bolts and if its screwed in properly

CalebTaylor
05-18-2010, 11:38 PM

CalebTaylor
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
I just checked it and the only thing that can be seen wrong is it sits crooked

Crash138
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
the tranny mount has a big chunk of rubber in it that absorbs vibrations much like your engine mounts... this rubber will seperate from the metal brackets regardless if your bolts are still tight looking or not. If its crooked, then something moved, and that could very well be your source of trouble... be careful, but have someone you trust get in the truck and put it into gear while holding the brakes (obviously) and move the tranny thru the gears while watching the mount... I think youve found your problem...

goober
05-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I only saw this mentioned once, I'll second it... Grease your slipjoint!!! it's easy to do, basically free, and just might fix your problem.

If that's not it, then if it's a "grinding" sound like you said it's liable to be in your transmission/transfercase/rear end...

I've never heard U-joints "grind" the way you're describing, they generally will either clunk, or grind/vibrate really bad all the time.

Start with the cheap stuff and work your way up...

You can crawl under your truck, and try turning the driveshaft back and forth, see if you can visually see anything, but if you haven't greased your slipjoint before then it needs it for sure anyways, and could potentially be the sound you're hearing...

good luck

84mudhorse
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
what do you mean the trans mount like the bolts and if its screwed in properly
these are pics of a broken tranny mount...i made a post of this earlier to show people what to look for...it has happened to me several times....notice the split metal...i had sway of the drive train under the truck from this...so much so that my t-case would rub/knock against my frame.....it was easy to see because the t-case had a nice shiney silver spot on the edge that rubbed against the frame

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp235/84mudhorse/Bronco%20pics/90B-Trannymount.jpg
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp235/84mudhorse/Bronco%20pics/Truck2049-1.jpg