how to "jump" wires [Archive] - FSB Forums

: how to "jump" wires

Duckr8
05-17-2010, 06:31 PM
hey, as in my last post, I am having problems getting my back window up. Someone said that i could jump the black-bluw wires to get it up. problem is, i do not know how to "jump" wires. If anyone has any tips, let me know. if you know how to fix my problem for sure, ask for my email, it will just be easier for me. thanks

ad5mb
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
what they mean is bypass all the switches, et cetera and apply 12v right to the wires. worst case: disconnect the at the motor and poke wires into the connector. there is no backward that will cause major damage. hook it up one way, window goes up. hook it up ther other way, window goes down.

if you are not fearless, use a battery charger with a circuit breaker.

Duckr8
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
that is still over my head. if one wire that rolls down the window works, would taking the end of that wire and conect it to the end of the wire that does not work, would that give it juice? or do you just take the end of the one wire that does not work and put it on a battery/?

massbronco
05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
take a battery connect one wire to positive,one to negative. connect pos. wire to one of the wires from the motor grab neg. wire and connect to other wire of motor and the window will either go up or down. reverse wires to moter and it will go opposite way.

BeastBronk
05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2376940#post2376940

;)

Duckr8
05-17-2010, 09:01 PM
that looks like exactly what i need, thanks. What types of wire are those? I basically have no idea about wires and stuff. So you took two things of wire and just stuck it into some of those slots in there? I feel like an idiot asking these stupid questions.

BeastBronk
05-17-2010, 09:10 PM
When I was testing mine,I just used some speaker wire I had laying around. Yes just stick them into the correct slots if you want to roll up/down.

Glad I can help. ;)

Worthy
05-18-2010, 05:00 AM
If the window motor is bad, jumping wires won't matter, or won't make it work. Sometimes in the motor, the brushes get worn down, and with a few strong taps with a crescent wrech/hammer you can get it working temporarily to get the motor moved back up/down.

Quick breakdown for you on DC circuits:

- Power starts at the battery + terminal
- Power moves thru positive (+) cable(s) up to ignition switch, and also up to other devices that don't require the key to be on to work
- Ignition switch, when turned 'On', relays the power to all other devices that require the key on in order to work
- The relayed Power gets 'used up' by a "load", which can be a window motor, a light bulb, fuel pump, whatever requires electricity to work
- Remaining Power then returns back to the battery via the Negative cables, or "ground wires"
- This completes a "circuit"
- Since all these parts use up electricity from the battery, the alternator's job is just to replace the power that is being taken out to run the electronics

With these ideas in mind, power comes into the Window Switch, and then goes out to the Window Motor by pushing the button. Well, by "jumping" across wires, what you are doing is BYPASSING the middle-man (the switch or relay) in the circuit so you are sending the power to the "load" (window motor) directly without the switch being a factor. So you are basically taking the power wire going into the Window Switch and "jumping" the power from that wire over to the power wire going out and back to the window motor. If the window moves up and down by doing this, then you know the switch is bad.

Pick up a Chilton/Haynes repair manual, and read the intro section on wiring and electricity; This will give you a basic understanding to feel confident enough to tackle electrical issues on your own. The only thing you never want to do, is create a "short circuit" which is taking power and touching it to a ground (body metal etc) without that power having gone thru a load first. DC current flows only one direction, thru + wires, into switches and relays, out to loads like window motor, and then back thru ground wires (or the load's metal casing which is bolted to metal which has ground straps etc to tie them all together as "ground").