: strange vibration on my superduty

jopes
06-20-2010, 12:49 AM
it definatly feels like it is coming from the rear of the vechile.

if I let off in 3rd or 4th around 35mph coasting I feel the vibration, which makes me think it could be a u joint?

but

if I throw it in neutral I feel the same vibration when slowing from 30 ish to 15 ish when braking.

accell or speeds to 75mph show no vibrations, or noises.

driveline feels tight. no pinion movement up/down or in/out. backlash feels fine, when bearings are not loose.

149k on the clock
driveline has 40k on it with all new spicer u-joints and center bearing.

ideas?

jopes
06-23-2010, 12:15 AM
just noticed today that the right front tire is cupped on the inside and out side of it.

ideas?

CRASHNDENT
06-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Hey Jopes,
you may already know about "thedieselstop.com" but if not.... i've been able to get an answer to every question i've had about my 2000 F250 and my brothers 2004 F250. hope this helps.
Don

Andrew James
06-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Maybe ya ran over a sheep?

Spectre
06-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Hey Jopes,
you may already know about "thedieselstop.com" but if not.... i've been able to get an answer to every question i've had about my 2000 F250 and my brothers 2004 F250. hope this helps.
Don

Ya.. wish they could give me an answer on my diesel issues.. :banghead

Jopes.. I'd say it's either your u joints or rear end.(gears)

Timmz28
06-23-2010, 03:44 AM
yeah the rear end could be bad.

jopes
06-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Hey Jopes,
Don

I have registered there when I first got the truck. I did not like the company much.

yeah the rear end could be bad.

149k in my mind is a premature failure. I have drove over 400 miles this weekend and it has not shown any signs of getting better or worse.

El Kabong
06-24-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm on my 2nd Superduty, & both of them would have weird shakes if the tires weren't rotated regularly. There are 2 other SDs in the company currently with the same traits. Try rotating the tires front to rear as part of locating it.

I've replaced 1 tie rod end. It's worth a check since 1 tire is cupping. One of the other guy's 99 needed rear bearing work at around 200,000, but that you could hear it plainly when spinning the rear wheels with it up on jack stands.

jopes
06-24-2010, 03:05 AM
last fall about 7 months and 10k miles or so ago, the tre's were still fine. but I will re check them again on my next days off. I will say this, the tires I have are fawking junk.

They had great reviews on tire rack.com but they have not been on there 35k and it really needs all 4 tires replaced again. the ones on the front pulled right, rotated them and then the ones on the back pulled left. I am so tired of the POS tires I am just going to let them hammer the tread off and buy new ones this august when I get my bonus from work.

75F350
06-24-2010, 03:14 AM
While the tires could very well be junk, but this would not explain the vibration as you have described it.
This type of vibration that you have explained almost indicates some binding in the rear driveline. When was the last time that the splines in the slip joint were greased?
Taking the boot off is a piece of cake, and as you already know, this slip joint does not have a grease fitting, so it has to be taken apart to be greased.
A binding slip joint here will truly cause a problem such as this, and once it gets worse, it develops a pretty good noise, and the vibration under acceleration and deceleration will get worse.
Its worth looking at anyway.

jopes
06-24-2010, 03:16 AM
about 40k ago when I did a complete driveline service.

dabranco
06-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Jopes is the superduty 4by or 2 wheel drive SRW or DRW? I know my dads old superduty would cup the shit out of the front tire but it was 4by and DRW.

jopes
06-24-2010, 03:25 AM
Jopes is the superduty 4by or 2 wheel drive SRW or DRW? I know my dads old superduty would cup the shit out of the front tire but it was 4by and DRW.

single, and look @ my sig. :thumbup

dabranco
06-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Cupping could be caused by the front axles pretty normal for solid axles front, but after 35,000 mile I would suspect axles in the front may be time for the joints in front to be replaced also are the hubs locked? Is the flywheel and clutch in good shape I.E. everything with the clutch (throw out bearing, pressure plate, disc, and flywheel been machined or replaced)? Is the pilot bushing OK as well (if app. could shimey loose or be damaged). But if the front tires are cupped I would look into the axles first.

jopes
06-24-2010, 03:45 AM
front axle got both unit bearings, and all 4 ball joints replaced within 500 miles of getting the new tires. the front should not be locked, but I will go give the shaft a spin up front and report back

dabranco
06-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Cool what about the other front end parts? Are they new any play in them or is the front end tight?

jopes
06-24-2010, 03:53 AM
front shafts are not locked.

jopes
06-24-2010, 03:55 AM
Cool what about the other front end parts? Are they new any play in them or is the front end tight?

as posted above, the TRE's were checked about 6-7 months and 10k ago. they were all fine then.

dabranco
06-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Fine to me isn't a good answer as a lot can happen in 10,000 miles I would check them over in the day light looking for play also when was the last alignment done? It typically takes only 5,000miles to destroy a tire with bad suspension and misaligned parts. What type of roads do you drive on (interstate, off road, country (gravel loose rocks dirt) city streets) Also how are the shocks as well they leaking excessive bounce.

jopes
06-24-2010, 04:18 AM
last alignment was marchish of last year. and I had one about 8 months before that one. 2 different companies in 2 different states, both said it was within spec.

like I said before, I will recheck the front TRE's out on my days off.

Roads I drive are anything from the smoothest highways I have ever been on to dirt roads with pot holes.

shocks have about 25-30k on them.

dabranco
06-24-2010, 04:25 AM
O.K cool I would check your shocks as you do go offroad (potholes) for leaks, and once you check the TRE's let us know.

tcb5040
06-24-2010, 07:11 AM
I would just keep it simple to start off with and get new tires when you can. I had the worst vibration when my tires were unevenly wore and one was cupping and as soon as i got new ones i never felt it again. sounds about the same

arkansawer
06-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Im just going to throw this out there, as i have no clue. But its a possibility that its a drive shaft vibration, you may have thrown a weight and now its out of balance.

jopes
06-24-2010, 03:48 PM
driveline has no dents and is not missing any weights.

Mrit
06-25-2010, 04:46 AM
A vibe around 35-40mph is a known common problem with the Superduty, nobody seems to know where it comes from. My '99 F350 does the same thing, I've replaced(from age/miles only) hubs, ball joints, tires, shocks, all brakes, torque converter, carrier bearing and some other stuff. Nothing has fixed it.

I've actually seen it before on a buddys truck, while driving the front D/S was spinning even when the hubs were unlocked. I've been thinking of pulling the D/S just for the hell of it to see if it stops the vibration. Im thinking, maybe the friction inside the hubs may be enough to spin it....