MAF sensors with integral IAT EABCDF [Archive] - FSB Forums

: MAF sensors with integral IAT EABCDF

broncoflorida
07-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Anybody who has completed a MAF conversion, have you ever installed one of the MAF sensor with the integrated Intake Air temp sensor ( pins E & F ) ? I'm looking for any pros or cons with installing one of these or any benefits.

itsacrazyasian
07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
What year integral maf were you thinking about using? The one i was considering when i was doing my swap was out of a newer mustang but it was a no go. I ended up using a similar plug/maf out of a spare crown vic i had. It shares the vehicle power, ran signal return back to the pcm and left the stock iat alone, just pulled the pinout.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/v6-talk/24292d1172198458-need-wiring-diagram-maf-iat-6-pin-connector-2001maf.gif

broncoflorida
07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Not sure as to what car/year that I have. But I got this from a person who had a Ford EEC on a older GM truck.

p/n XF2F-12B579-AA

These have the integral sample channel for airflow and the tempurator sensor located outside of that channel.

I'm curious since you mention, no-go in your application. Why was this a no go in your case? And what computer are you using A9P/L ,HOGO, lightining....

itsacrazyasian
07-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Not sure as to what car/year that I have. But I got this from a person who had a Ford EEC on a older GM truck.

p/n XF2F-12B579-AA

These have the integral sample channel for airflow and the tempurator sensor located outside of that channel.

I'm curious since you mention, no-go in your application. Why was this a no go in your case? And what computer are you using A9P/L ,HOGO, lightining....

A9L. Was a no go because of the resolution of the maf. I had a maf (tonsil style) from a v6 mustang. The 4.6 maf i used was capable of handling the airflow of my motor. Apparently my 351 with minor work will flow quite a bit of air.

The maf you have is for a 4.2L V6 ford product.

broncoflorida
07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
A9L. Was a no go because of the resolution of the maf. I had a maf (tonsil style) from a v6 mustang. The 4.6 maf i used was capable of handling the airflow of my motor. Apparently my 351 with minor work will flow quite a bit of air.

Are you trying to say based on that statement, that MAF signal output was to high or low compared to the actual flow of air?

I'm reevaluating my next MAF setup and trying to get an ideal of what I can use and any drawbacks.
;)

itsacrazyasian
07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
the maf signal was too low compared to actual air flow. Results no additional fueling. I'm running a 80mm MAF from a crown Vic, its a tonsil style, dropped in a tube with a flange mount i got a loonnnng time ago from VMPtuning back when i was building some turbo V6 F150s. The maf that was in it was from my 4.2L truck and it had issues dealing with the airflow of my modded 351.

Fireguy50
07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
you can use any MAF as long as it is programed into the EEC, of the MAF is closely recurved to match the EEC and Injector size.

If the computer was designed to use the IAT in the lower intake, moving it to the air filter with cause the engine to run rich.

I used a newer MAF with the IAT in the MAF. No problem using it.

I don't agree with anyhting you've said. Sorry, but NO :twak

itsacrazyasian
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
I forgot to mention i will be going to a SCT big air maf in my crown vic, and the 90mm L maf will be going in the truck.

SigEpBlue
07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
To echo Ryan's statements, as long as you can change the MAF transfer function, you can use any MAF you desire. It's the same situation with the ECT/ACT transfer function and sensor(s): as long as you can program the transfer function (assuming it's different than the one your PCM was programmed to use), the sky's the limit.

The only limitation with a MAF is pegging it at high flows, in which case you should switch to a MAF rated for your engine's capability.

Seattle FSB
07-27-2010, 12:20 AM
you can use any MAF as long as it is programed into the EEC, of the MAF is closely recurved to match the EEC and Injector size.

If the computer was designed to use the IAT in the lower intake, moving it to the air filter with cause the engine to run rich.

:stupid

Mass Air Meter Horsepower Level
275 HP - 55mm (Stock 88-93 Mustang)
350 HP - 70mm (Stock 94-95 Mustang)
550 HP - 75mm Pro-M Bullet
450 HP - 80mm (Stock Ford)
650 HP - Pro-M 85mm Flanged
750 HP - Pro-M 95mm Flanged
800 HP - 80mm Pro-M
1500 HP - 92mm Pro-M

I used a 75mm Pro-M Mass Air Meter that was factory calibrated to 19 lb injectors. This MAF Sensor was not too small becoming a restriction and not too large which tends to loose resolution and accuracy. I then programmed the proper parameters for 40 lb. injectors into the EEC through a custom tune.

Regarding the ACT/IAT, I did not relocate the ACT/IAT Sensor from the Intake Manifold (ACT) to the Air Filter (IAT) location. This would have required modification of the wiring harness and air filter. With my custom tune, I had the EEC programmed to properly measure the density (temperature) of the air in the existing intake manifold location.

The glory of a custom tune! With a MAF upgrade, I believe it is required - or you will be settling for good enough...

broncoflorida
07-27-2010, 09:15 AM
:stupid

Mass Air Meter Horsepower Level
275 HP - 55mm (Stock 88-93 Mustang)
350 HP - 70mm (Stock 94-95 Mustang)
550 HP - 75mm Pro-M Bullet
450 HP - 80mm (Stock Ford)
650 HP - Pro-M 85mm Flanged
750 HP - Pro-M 95mm Flanged
800 HP - 80mm Pro-M
1500 HP - 92mm Pro-M

I used a 75mm Pro-M Mass Air Meter that was factory calibrated to 19 lb injectors. This MAF Sensor was not too small becoming a restriction and not too large which tends to loose resolution and accuracy. I then programmed the proper parameters for 40 lb. injectors into the EEC through a custom tune.

Regarding the ACT/IAT, I did not relocate the ACT/IAT Sensor from the Intake Manifold (ACT) to the Air Filter (IAT) location. This would have required modification of my wiring harness and air filter. With my custom tune, I had the EEC programmed to properly measure the density (temperature) of the air in the existing intake manifold location.

The glory of a custom tune! With a MAF upgrade, I believe it is required - or you will be settling for good enough...

Since I'm building my intake delivery as all 100% custom tubing, I was planning on cutting the MAF mount boss out and welding it to my tubing. Base tubing size will stay at 75mm ( approx 3"). Since I had a few of the integrated MAF/IAT sensors laying around, I figure I would build around this series of sensor and using my early stang harness that would be modified.

I 've already looked at some of the CL MAF intakes and figure I could buy one of the already pre-made or custom build my own.

itsacrazyasian
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM

I used a newer MAF with the IAT in the MAF. No problem using it.

I don't agree with anyhting you've said. Sorry, but NO :twak

Ryan,

Years ago went to dyno tune my supercharged 02 V6 F150. Tuner said maf counts were very high, couldn't continue to tune. Replaced that maf with a spare maf i had in the shop out of a 4.6 something. Went to tune again, no issues. Kept the maf. Used it for my MAF swap in my F350. Low RPMS fine, fell flat on its face past 4K. Swapped mafs with a scrapped town car i had. Truck runs great. Maybe i had a bad maf? Dunno. But my truck runs great with the town car/ crown vic maf using the integral IAT.

I'm in the process of getting a new smaller 3.12 pulley for the Crown Vic. Gonna retune with the new pulley, new maf, and meth injection. I have a Vortech supercharger that i'm going to install on this F350 and will use the L maf i have out of my Vic on the truck.

Still would listen to Ryan. Just sharing my experiences.