glasspack size [Archive] - FSB Forums

: glasspack size

asdaven
11-21-2010, 06:41 PM
I want to run a glasspack on my Bronco. Im getting the magnaflow y-pipe and then necking up to 3" for the Maremont Tailpipe. Whats the longest glasspack that will fit? What will a longer glasspack do?
Thanks-

rebel2idie29
11-21-2010, 07:08 PM
the longer the less quite it will be the shorter the louder..im pretty sure..i got a 8 inch glasspack on mine now

asdaven
11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Alright, well i want the longest glasspack I can fit under my bronco. Im running a 3" cat-back exhaust and tailpipe off the magnaflow 2 1/4" cat exit. So, thats 4 or so inches of "necking up" into the equation. Which brand do you all reccomend for glasspacks? I want the best as far as the finish not rusting, good quality fiberglass that dosen't blow out, and being perforated and not louvered.

theramsey3
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
dude really??? why do you have about 25 different threads pertaining to exhaust? How come you have to post another useless thread when you could have just asked this question in one of them? Just buy the cheapest shit you can in an 18" glasspack and be done with it.

Vannnce
11-21-2010, 10:03 PM
And if you buy something that doesnt fit, cut and weld it. Most exhaust shit, no matter how hard you try, wont just bolt up. You have to improvise.

asdaven
11-21-2010, 10:59 PM
I know. I pretty much know what im doing for my exhaust. I just don't wanna buy a glasspack that is too big and won't fit but I also want to get the biggest (longest) one I can. Im just asking those who have put glasspacks on their broncos.

Northernguy
11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
:haha lol :toothless:histerica:rofl::goodfinge

76fordhighboy
11-21-2010, 11:15 PM
best thing to do is bolt the y pipe on and cat, hang the tail pipe .then measure for the the distance between then go buy a walker turbo tube buy far the best i have bought out there ibut they are a cripped tube but will never blow out have them o a 77 ford truck 9 plus years with no problems

jfritts
11-21-2010, 11:20 PM
I think you should crawl up under your bronco with a tape measure

76fordhighboy
11-21-2010, 11:33 PM
take it to the muffler shop pay them to put the pipes on and have them sell you there best muffler[ glasspack ] they have then replace it in a year with a walker tube

BigUgly88EB
11-21-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm a fan of an 18-inch glasspack, but I like my shit to be loud when I get on it. I had 22-inch packs on an '86 Chevy pickup, and it was nice and mellow -- not too much popping at high RPM. Keep in mind, though, that the longer you run a glasspack, the louder it's going to get. I don't care what brand you buy or how much you pay for it, you're going to blow some of the glass out over time.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you want to keep your truck as quiet as possible (since you want as long a pack as possible) -- why not go with a good "turbo" muffler? They never blow out like glasspacks will, so you'll keep the same sound for the life of the exhaust system.

Andrew James
11-22-2010, 12:20 AM
I know. I pretty much know what im doing for my exhaust. I just don't wanna buy a glasspack that is too big and won't fit but I also want to get the biggest (longest) one I can. Im just asking those who have put glasspacks on their broncos.

I see the start of someone's sig in this post.

Dude, just sell your gawdamn Bronco and buy a Civic, then you can post to those guys...

"Dawg, I got mad exhaust! i did a catback cause dat sounds cool and some1 said its da best. i also put a coffee can tip on from Folger's Coffee cuz then i git liek diz awsume hardcore sound and it luks liek a raec car."
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu158/clinelou/ricer.jpg

BRONCONUT
11-22-2010, 12:39 AM
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/822636/fullsize/drama.gif Look some one is trying to be cute ^.

TheUnforgiven
11-22-2010, 12:46 AM
:lolup :rofl: :histerica :haha :goodfinge

edit:damn you isuckbronconuts

:goodfinge

parkourdemon
11-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Dude, just buy a cheap one and put it on there, it's not gonna fit no matter how much you ask.
I got a " 2 1/2" inlet and it wouldn't fit in a 3" pipe, so i had to go to autozone to get an adapter, which also didnt fit, and i don't have a welder so i grabbed my friend and be bent the shit on with a pipe clamp. gogo.

BRONCONUT
11-22-2010, 02:57 AM
I am pretty sure at the pre cat on the y-pipe it comes out at 3"OD, a 3"ID exhaust pipe will go right over it. Thats what I did with mine anyway. 3" into a 3" cherry bomb and 3" out the stock exit over the passenger side. The whole setup and hangers was around 90 dollars.

asdaven
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM
I like the glasspack sound. Im not a very big fan of the flowmaster sound, maybe for a sports car but not on a older truck or muscle car. Glasspacks are OLD school and thats what I want. Turbos are old school and are good too, but too quiet for my tastes. Im installing everything with SS band clamps, so it can be taken off easily. I wish glasspacks lasted, but I guess its part of the novelty. And if you get pulled over you can show the cop you have a muffler. Yes, I want it loud, but i want it somewhat "toned". A longer glasspack will get rid of some of the higher frequencys and popping, but it will still sound good and loud. A longer glasspack will do a better job of this. Im running a cat, so that ll tone things down a bit too.

theramsey3
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Either get the 18" or 22" cherry bomb you will be happy with that I prefer the 18" with a cat it usually has a very toned sound deep and throaty but not too much popping. They are still obnoxious and the turbo mufflers such as dynomax or magnaflow sound great with their straight thru design but may be too quiet for your taste i would stay away from the flowmaster unless you want to sound like a mustang. I recommend you get 16" chrome "echo" tips they will enhance the sound you are looking to achieve.

asdaven
11-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Thrush makes a 20" one with 3" In/Out and Cherry Bomb makes a 22" and 30" one with 3" In/Out. Which is better quality and not louvered, Thrush or Cherry Bomb? I guess a 30" glasspack won't fit under our Bronco, 22" one at the longest?

convcit
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
as long as you dont dump the tips on the back of the glasspack it wont be to loud... 12in packs have been the normal in my book. and have a shop weld it... you mention not wanting them to blow out..... hhuumm everytime someone I know gets new glasspacks... first thing we do is get them nice and hot, then hose them down with cold water.... of course down here in Houston we like them loud...

asdaven
11-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Just measured, the stock muffler is about a 24" muffler excluding the inlet and outlet. So, that means a 22" glasspack would be around the same size and that a 30" glasspack would not fit unless you eliminated the converter in the exhaust system. So, it looks as so that 22" is the largest I can go. So, what is you alls opinion on thrush glasspacks vs cherrybomb glasspacks? What is better quality? And I want a non-louvered glasspack.

theramsey3
11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
get out the sawzall and cut the pipe after the muffler you can fit a 30" on it if you want to. You are already custom making your exhaust you can put about anything you want to in there.

BigUgly88EB
11-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Just measured, the stock muffler is about a 24" muffler excluding the inlet and outlet. So, that means a 22" glasspack would be around the same size and that a 30" glasspack would not fit unless you eliminated the converter in the exhaust system. So, it looks as so that 22" is the largest I can go. So, what is you alls opinion on thrush glasspacks vs cherrybomb glasspacks? What is better quality? And I want a non-louvered glasspack.

You could always call Cherry Bomb and Thrush (or look at their websites) to determine whether or not the packs are louvered...

IMO, a glass pack is a glass pack, aside from the length. It doesn't matter what brand you buy -- they're all either powder coated or aluminized steel. They're all going to rust, they're all going to blow out. I like Flowtech Redhots, some like Purple Hornies, Cherry Bombs, Thrush Tubes, etc., etc. They're all the same design, the same materials.

Buy whichever the hell brand you want that meets all of your criteria and be satisfied with your choice.

Andrew James
11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I used Cherry Bombs, but I'd buy Purple Hornies if I ever do it again, just cause it's an awesome name.

Andrew James
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/822636/fullsize/drama.gif Look some one is trying to be cute ^.

Far from it.

asdaven
11-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Im going to run a 22" cherrybomb glasspack from Autozone.
Thanks-

1980ranger
11-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Good Choice

TheUnforgiven
11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
pics of install or bullshit.

BRONCONUT
11-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Mine ? :popc1:

1980ranger
11-23-2010, 11:42 AM
If it takes this long to choose the parts what will the install time be?

76fordhighboy
11-23-2010, 11:17 PM
thumbup

TheUnforgiven
11-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Mine ? :popc1:

no, i'm talking about Gomer Pile (OP)

BRONCONUT
11-24-2010, 03:27 AM
I figured, but I thought I would throw that in in case he needed some pics of a glasspack set up installed. Todd Cimer and my self installed cherry bombs on both of our rides at the same time at his house up in Osh Kosh last winter. Good times! :beer

asdaven
11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
How loud do you all think it will be with a magnaflow y-pipe/cat setup, 22" glasspack, and the maremont 3" tailpipe? Anybody got this setup or similar?

FordXFord
11-24-2010, 09:19 AM
How loud do you all think it will be with a magnaflow y-pipe/cat setup, 22" glasspack, and the maremont 3" tailpipe? Anybody got this setup or similar?

Except for the y-pipe (I made the flowmaster one) that's what I'm running. I remember my cherrybomb being 24" because everything longer and shorter cost more. I'd say it's about as loud as a turbo muffler, but it has a real nice tone. I can still set off car alarms though.

BRONCONUT
11-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Do it and find out, its a simple install nothing to it. Its not to loud and not to quite either, oh and so you know chrome tips are for fags.

Alvin in AZ
11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
...oh and so you know chrome tips are for fags.
x2
...and we mean that in the nicest possible way. ;)

Alvin in AZ

theramsey3
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Do it and find out, its a simple install nothing to it. Its not to loud and not to quite either, oh and so you know chrome tips are for fags.

x2
...and we mean that in the nicest possible way. ;)

Alvin in AZ

I guess I'm a fag, so you wanna go get a drink later?

On a serious note though they do enhance your sound coming from the exhaust. They usually deepen the sound and seem to make it less poppy. I like them and will continue to be a fag.

Alvin in AZ
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I guess I'm a fag, so you wanna go get a drink later?

Sounds good, thanks. :)
Is Houston about half way for each of us? LOL :)

How you like my matching red balls? :)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoDash.jpg
The fact I set my windows up like a Freightliner is gay too huh? :)

Assdaven's got me blocked or I'd answer a couple of his questions...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/Bronco2wd.jpg
...cause I know the answers and for some dumb reason the muffler
makers don't put that information on their websites. :/

Butthead in AZ

Northernguy
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Cmon guys! He is asking about glasspack not fudgepack!:haha

Its amazing what a quick search around this site gets you when a little effort is used.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97374&highlight=engine+sound+vid

Gacknar
11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
chrome tips are for fags.I like correctly sized chrome tips on certain Bronco applications.

But, back to the subject.
Is asdaven the most indecisive human on FSB?
Has he started more threads about the same subject than anyone else on FSB?

Northernguy
11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Is asdaven the most indecisive human on FSB?
Has he started more threads about the same subject than anyone else on FSB?

Most indecisive human anywhere!:duh

Ranger429
11-24-2010, 02:58 PM
asdaven, don't start multiple threads for the same issue.

TheUnforgiven
11-25-2010, 12:12 AM
I figured, but I thought I would throw that in in case he needed some pics of a glasspack set up installed. Todd Cimer and my self installed cherry bombs on both of our rides at the same time at his house up in Osh Kosh last winter. Good times! :beer

sounded like a GAY ole time. :goodfinge:goodfinge:goodfinge:goodfinge

pfun41
11-25-2010, 12:28 AM
dude really??? why do you have about 25 different threads pertaining to exhaust? How come you have to post another useless thread when you could have just asked this question in one of them?
X2
X2
If it takes this long to choose the parts what will the install time be?
hes been doin this for about a month or two

put your fawking exhaust on for **** sakes.

theramsey3
11-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I bet you he still hasn't swapped the yokes on the rear ends. If he claims he has I wanna see pics or its BS.

asdaven
11-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Everything will get a writeup when I get around to doing everything. So, my exhaust is gonna be magnaflow y-pipe cat, 24" 3" IN/OUT cherrybomb glasspack, and 3" maremont tailpipe. I called Cherrybomb and Thrush and Thrush has a perferated design, while Cherrybomb's is a hybrid between perferated and louvered. They still flow good though and ive heard great things about cherrybomb, so im going with cherrybomb.

BRONCONUT
11-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I like correctly sized chrome tips on certain Bronco applications.

I knew you liked the chrome, I do like them if they are the right size to. I am wanting to all stainless the next go around. Just for shits and giggles I have left all of the chrome on my bronco while I camo it, I am very interested in how it is all going to look. I have an all black grill I could swap in if I need to but I am thinking the chrome will look good.

asdaven
11-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I like correctly sized chrome tips on certain Bronco applications.

Theyre cute, but im just gonna run the Maremont 3" tailpipe for looks and sound, as opposed to the skinny stock 2 1/4 tailpipe.

Northernguy
11-25-2010, 12:41 PM
:haha The way I see him.

http://www.crawfordproductions.net/monthlypics/mechanic.jpg
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2009/3/99%20World%27s%20Worst%20Mechanic.jpg

TheUnforgiven
11-25-2010, 02:01 PM
northernguy, PLEASE tell me you mean assdaven. i met bronconut and while i believe he is a flaming homo, i do not believe he is a moron.

Northernguy
11-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Why would I mean BRONCONUT?lol:doh0715: This is not his thread!
I meant asdaven as this is the way I picture him after reading his threads.

TheUnforgiven
11-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Why would I mean BRONCONUT?lol:doh0715: This is not his thread!
I meant asdaven as this is the way I picture him after reading his threads.

i had a brainfart, God forbid. :goodfinge

BRONCONUT
11-25-2010, 02:19 PM
northernguy, PLEASE tell me you mean assdaven. i met bronconut and while i believe he is a flaming homo, i do not believe he is a moron.

You know you want this!;)

Northernguy
11-25-2010, 02:24 PM
i had a brainfart, God forbid. :goodfinge

:rofl:shit happens!:toothless

TheUnforgiven
11-25-2010, 02:24 PM
You know you want this!;)

no sir. :barf

351w500
11-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Asdaven, I think you should post pix of the 8.8 diff and the other stuff you have collected.

LarryP
11-25-2010, 03:17 PM
:haha The way I see him.

http://www.crawfordproductions.net/monthlypics/mechanic.jpg
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2009/3/99%20World%27s%20Worst%20Mechanic.jpg

That wouldn't be assdavan, that guy is actually looking at something under the rig and doing something.:haha

Northernguy
11-25-2010, 04:07 PM
:stupid :haha :whiteflag :histerica :lolup

TheUnforgiven
11-26-2010, 03:15 AM
however, that ranger DOES look like the one bronconut has. :goodfinge

BRONCONUT
11-26-2010, 05:10 AM
however, that ranger DOES look like the one bronconut has. :goodfinge

It does!:shocked Maybe a little :tinfoil, Idont have the light bar on mine and those tires damn sure aren't KM2's.:goodfinge

TheUnforgiven
11-26-2010, 10:46 AM
It does!:shocked Maybe a little :tinfoil, Idont have the light bar on mine and those tires damn sure aren't KM2's.:goodfinge

maybe those are older pictures. :goodfinge

Lamkey
11-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Wow................ Not sure what to say. Somewhere in ths thread I read something about how flowmasters were for hot rods or muscle cars and glass packs are for old school sound. DUDE... You have a 87-90 bronco. Off road use striaght 3" tubing and glasspacks but for a mall crawler like yours looking for sound 3" cat back flowmaster. Good luck and keep the safety on better yet don't even chamber the round.:doh0715: