bronco vs jeep (poll) [Archive] - FSB Forums

: bronco vs jeep (poll)

broncolizer
05-08-2003, 04:51 PM
i have a 90 xlt 351 with e4od(eeh)...can i get a response on two topics? 1,) jeep wrangler 4.0 manual tranny vs xlt bronco with 351/e4od- offroad comparison & gas milage? 2,) jeep wrangler 4.0 (manual tranny)straight trade 4-90 xlt bronco 351 e4od in great condition?<<< just got my 90 xlt & i sort of had big plans for it. till i realized what it costs to fill a 32 gallon tank! :shocked: my wife is ready to trade it for a wrangler... we both wheel 4x4's we own a suzuki sidekick too & that thing is a little demon offroad. it will straight whoop ass on many 4x4's period! & they know this too! but we kinda want the straight scoop from both parties on the two rig's. i know asking here will get the answers we need. we like the idea that we can plow through any idiot in our way! or the safety from the bronco. and enjoy a comfortable day/weekend trip out offroading in the bronco.but DAMN, it's a gas hog! & with all the mod's we had planned...it would seem to only get worse in the gas milage area for us! so maybe a few answers will help us make a choice. thanks

deergeo
05-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Well you are on a Bronco board so guess what I am going to say???

Give up???

BRONCO stays, no heeps...too small and not comfortable day/weekend trip out

Foghorn
05-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Heeps are everywhere....Keep the Bronco, It's worth the extra money for gas. Because SizeDoes Matter!!!!

BadassBronco
05-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Heeps are everywhere....Keep the Bronco, It's worth the extra money for gas. Because SizeDoes Matter!!!!'
but sometimes its to big.

NAMELESS
05-08-2003, 05:34 PM
101" wheelbase has always been the happy medium........Bronc has my vote. :mrgreen:

Lookinfurfun
05-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Is it just you and the wife? No kids? I have three kids and if I had a heep or a sidekick I wouldn't be able to take the fam.......oh wait maybe I should by a heep, then I could go wheelin w/o :lol:

Nah.....I'll keep the Bronco and take the famiy I guess.

MOUNTAINMAN
05-08-2003, 05:39 PM
I think you keep answering your own question. You obviously don't like the gas mileage of a real truck, so go get your heep and go away. :twisted:

Damager
05-08-2003, 05:41 PM
aaaahahahahaha ^^^

broncolizer
05-08-2003, 05:45 PM
i have two kids, & we all fit in the sidekick as well as a jeep. i guess what i'm looking for, is a answer to mileage...i figured there has to be a bronco & jeep owner here...seems like alot of hardcore wheeling is done in short wheel base rigs...but when all the aftermarket & mod's are done you basically have a stock bronco...well close comparisons....so with the bronco we already have, a little engine mod's & lift & tires...this could be a real trail worthy rig...(I HAVE NEVER BUILT A BRONCO) don't really remember seeing any on the trails either? but maybe i'll get a few good reply's to set me straight! heck' if all else fails...i still have the sidekick.

81Bronk36
05-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Sure gas milage is a factor, but with all the vehicles you got you cant possibly be driving the Bronk everywhere. Well I wouldnt put it past you cuz Broncos rule and all but if you got a tight trail just hit up the zuk. We got a few of those owners and one other Jeep/Bronco owner.

Foghorn
05-08-2003, 06:43 PM
I think you said it best when you said you don't see bronco's on the trails....I've owned jeeps, I loved mine. But their everywhere...I Love this Bronco, It's been fun to build on, and not everyone's got one either...I think for me it's just being outside the norm. The gas milage is'nt that much worse between a lifted Jeep and a Bronco. I got 7-10 MPG out of my Jeep.(v-8 swap w/33's) I get 10-12 with my Bronco. (302 w/33's) I think it will just come down to your preference. Jeep or Bronco....For Me It's Bronco and I don't see anything taking it's place in my Driveway. Good Luck and Either way, Welcome to our home on WWW. Stay awhile, you'll like it here-----Fog

P.s.- We love pics and don't take the Flamming to seriously.It's Usually just in fun

Davids78Bronco
05-08-2003, 06:46 PM
This was something my wife and I talked about before we got our first bronco too. Having 3 kids, I wasn't about to put my kids in the back seat of a 1/4ton truck, only 2ft from the rear glass. To us, it wasn't worth the safety risk of the smaller jeep. Besides, I've done things in my stock bronco, that alot of built jeeps only dream of doing - hillclimbs, mud pits, water crossings, pulling cars off 8ft snowbanks

Dixie Pirate
05-08-2003, 07:09 PM
I'm with David on this one. I've done stuff in my Bronco that Jeeps wouldn't think about. I think Broncos are more multi purpose; you can wheel it, tow with it, you have more cargo room, it's safer, you can sleep in it when you go camping if the weather turns nasty, and they're pretty good for pulling stumps...hehehehe :twisted:

I had a friend with a Wrangler and when he would hit the same bogs as I did he would have to gear all the way down to first and I still wasn't sure if he'd make it out. I'd hit it in my Bronco and never slow down.....plus I looked cooler cause I was throwing mud everywhere :mrgreen:

Jeeps are like bellybuttons....everybody has one.

BikerPepe`
05-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Yea.. bellybuttons, that's it! :lol:
You have some of the best points here... mulitpurpose rigs! rockon
I've used my Bronco to pull the wife's Cherokee out of snowbanks (I was playin') and I'll tell ya this... I could pull her out, but no way she coulda pulled me out!

I had a little Y-J that I sold as soon as we found out my wife was pregnant! The reasons were pretty obviouse to me! ;)

adfplayer
05-08-2003, 08:03 PM
I'm not proud if it but there is a jeep in my househould. My brother has a 1976 CJ5 sitting on 35's.... I have to admit it is fairly swank.

deergeo
05-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Yea.. bellybuttons, that's it! :lol:

:lollol: :rofl:
They are all over and still being made, the Bronco is an investment ;)
Nothing beats going totally topless in a heep, but can get pretty close in the bronco. More space for cargo, safety factor, not limited to only 4 people, etc... Just my 2 cents

BARTnRED
05-08-2003, 08:47 PM
If milage is the big factor. That 4.0 doesn't exactly sip gas. My '00 Cherokee averages 16mpg vs. 13mpg in the '94 302. And both of them are driven with a lead foot in heavy traffic conditions.
I say the extra durability and size are worth the 3mpg.
Another thing to look at is insurance rates. Maybe that Bronco would be cheaper and make it a draw on the gas bill.

wally
05-08-2003, 08:58 PM
keep the bronco. everyone listed the same reasons...

multipurpose
safety
coolnessfactor (is this a word)
not the norm

hands down. right there is a list. i go to work and i see a ton of lifted jeeps everything from mild to wild.
i only see a handfull of broncos. i'd rather be the leader and be different then follow the leader in a jeep.

Damager
05-09-2003, 10:20 AM
yup yup ... uh huh

Bronco wins ..... jeeps are a dime a dozen

TTBlows
05-09-2003, 10:21 AM
I agree with the multipurpose thing. You've just got more room to haul all your gear on the trail. Maybe you don't need that much room, it's up to you.

When you say a "Wrangler" with a 4.0 that needs clarification. You couldn't pay me to drive a stock YJ, total Barbie Jeeps *in stock form* and some of the weakest drivetrain components around.

Now if you could trade the Bronco for a TJ that might be a *sound financial deal,* but you still couldn't pay me to drive a TJ 'cause everyone and his brother along with every magazine out there is building them.

That means TONS of aftermarket support, and if you're into that, go for it! I prefer to build my stuff and search the junkyards than pay for bolt-on everything.... it's just more fun to make stock stuff work in non-stock applications.

The Jeep does get the nod for a solid front axle, even if it is a POS Dana 30.

jermil01
05-09-2003, 10:46 AM
I do a lot of camping, and could not imagine taking all the shoot I take with me if I drove a heep, unless towing a trailer..This weekend me and the fiance went camping with a bunch of friends, one of the couples had the "trunk" or rear cargo area loaded with stuff, and their back seat. It looked like they barely had room to sit in the thing..I was able to get the same and more amount of gear in the back of the Bronc, and still have room for firewood..I love the Bronc for its room, how it sits on the highway, the looks it gets..Can't beat the Bronco :cheers:

Miketnf150
05-09-2003, 11:04 AM
A friend of mine brought a Sahari and after about 9 months of it he hated it. Didn't have anyroom to carry anything. Plus him being 5-10, 265#, no all fat either. It was just to small for him. If he couldn't roll the window down to rest his arm on the door he was cramped. So he traded for a Chebby,(still working on him to come from the dark side). I am like everyone else here. Jeeps are anywhere and everywhere and by the time you lift it, bigger tires, winch, etc etc you will be looking at about the same gas mileage as the bronco. Keep the bronco and deal with the gas mileage you'll be happier......

Keep the POS(IMO) sidekick and buy you a POS honda/toy/geo/saturn/hundai or whaterever as a daily driver!!!

Cmayer31
05-09-2003, 03:37 PM
I've got to agree with what the rest of the guys have said. My girlfriend is set on having a jeep, and there's no way I'm giving up the bronco so we'll end up within a month have a jeep and bronco combo. You just said jeep, will I wouldn't mind a decent CJ, would not own a YJ, and actually enjoy the TJs. We're going to get a 97--03 (TJ), 4.0, 5 speed, soft top, half door, dana 44 rear, blah blah..but it barely gets better mileage than the bronco, can't even put the dog's crate in without folding the seat down, rides like the bronco, and you will always spot one "just-like-yours" in some parking lot. Keep the bronco
Craig

94_chickentaco
05-09-2003, 04:38 PM
I've done stuff in my Bronco that Jeeps wouldn't think about

Jeeps suck. Yup, there right up there with richard simmons on the gay-ometer. Even more gay is the islands edition, or the new one with the fancy rubicon sticker.. OOhhhh scary rubicon jeep, like a postal service truck with some mods.

deergeo
05-09-2003, 04:47 PM
OOhhhh scary rubicon jeep, like a postal service truck with some mods.
:lollol:

Damager
05-09-2003, 05:17 PM
it's like a stuffed suit lawyer riding a Harley ... POZER :???:

firegod33
05-09-2003, 08:44 PM
I own the Bronco/Jeep combo, but my Jeep is an XJ. The Jeep will outwheel the Bronc any day and gets about 9-10 mpg more, but I love the Bronc nonetheless. There is a style about the Bronco that can't be found anywhere else.
Neither the Jeep nor the Bronco is economical to drive. No two ways about it. Don't kid yourself. You're not looking at Jeeps for fuel milage.
What it all boils down to is, you have to decide what's more important to you, fuel milage (Honda CRX) or wheelin'/style (Jeep/Bronco).
The choice is up to you and nobody can help you make it.

Andy351
05-10-2003, 02:39 AM
i too have a jeep XJ/ bronco combo. the jeep sucks period. 85 horsepower vs. 210 plus. 235/75 r 15 vs. 33s. and the bronco has a much bigger back seat

Bill@setel.com
05-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Between my father and I, we have 4 Jeeps and 3 Broncos. I love them both. I do not drive my Jeeps everyday, nor would I want to (1st off, comfort - 2nd, the newest is a '64). A friend of mine has a 97 Wrangler 4cyl; she TELLS me that she gets 18mpg on a good day. On a good day, I get that in my '95 Bronco, which is better offroad, has more room and comfort, and can allow me to seat 5 adults easily (well 4, REAL easy, the 5th is a squeeze, I guess).

Stick with the Bronco, I think you would miss it when it was gone.

gearrat
05-11-2003, 03:57 AM
well ya know what i am going to say we have two bko's so :roll:

wyldcdn
05-12-2003, 08:54 AM
step up to manual locking hubs and a better gear set (4:11's VS 3:50's) or whatever upgrade there is. These two options alone helped me big time

Blaze
05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Sell the Bronco!!!!!.....................TO ME!

:mrgreen: :thumbup :mrgreen: :thumbup

Miketnf150
05-12-2003, 09:59 AM
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

turnone
05-15-2003, 02:43 AM
As well as a few others on her ei also had a jeep. I bought a 2001 Jeep Tj with a 4.0 and automatic with the dana 44 rear axle with only 2100 miles for the great price of only 3200 bucks thats right... it was rolled and needed only fenders and a new roll bar. Well with The repairs i did replacing the rollbar was done with a custom stronger steel one then the crappy stock one and then was extended down to the dashboard and to the floor. an upgrade everyone does...
When i need to repair a few shock buckets and such and a cross meber brace we put a skyjacker rock ready lift on it which was double the cost of the new parts it was replacing but going in the direction of performance. We installed 37" tires and beadlocks as well as regearing and lockers (ARB).
We did a few minor engine mods airraid etc. And i had a Dialed in go ANYWHERE jeep. It still got 12-14 miles per gallon depending on day and gas.... i dont think it mattered wether it was highway or city.
I had this vehicle completly built for only 15000 bucks including the jeep... you cant do that with anything..... i loved it and sold it for 8000 more then i paid for it although i had labor into it.

I must admit I loved my previous two broncos as well owning one while I had my jeep. The jeep is a great vehicle if and only if you ahve other cars to drive as well. the jeep carries a total of 4 passengers and a gallon of milk at most..... but was one hell of a wheeling machine. but the ford if i was wanting to go for a weekened i could take 4 friends all are gear and a tent and stove etc. The bronco flat can haul more then just your bodies....... personal choice for many but i really liked them both

Bronco Buster
05-15-2003, 05:01 AM
http://www3.telus.net/public/a6a48464/leakster.jpg

Nuff Said. LOL.

BadassBronco
05-15-2003, 08:00 AM
alot of you guys have closed minds.

Damager
05-15-2003, 11:12 AM
http://www3.telus.net/public/a6a48464/leakster.jpg

Nuff Said. LOL.

I LIKE IT!! :cheers:

The heep owners are even worse for the most part when it comes to having a closed mind ...

jermil01
05-15-2003, 11:27 AM
I like it too.

I don't think its necessarily that we have closed minds. It comes from listening to the attitudes of the hard core jeep crowd who think their rigs are the end all be all and anything else is just trash. I agree there's room in offroad world for all kinds, but as the owners of big rigs we have the right to defend our love for the Bronco. :D [/quote]

Crazed
05-15-2003, 01:05 PM
My buddy has a YJ thet we recently did a springover on and put on 33s. The rig seems to wheel just fine, it is what he wanted, and that is cool.

94_chickentaco
05-15-2003, 01:52 PM
A freind of mine bought a new jeep last year, put a 4 inch lift and 33s on it. Packed up his wife and dog and were driving from PHX to flagstaff to meet us up at the cabin. I can get to flagstaff in under 2 hours, it took him over 3 hours to get there. He said he wasnt doing more than 35-40 in some of the hills. I had my stock gears and 35s, he had stock gears as well. Thats the first reason that jeep sucked. Then, "crack" goes the intake, 4 months later, "crack" goes the exhaust manifold. And, more problems led him to sell it and get a purdy leather coated grand cherokee for his wife. I am not close minded, i just like to be able to actually drive my bronco places and not feel like i am in a model T with a 20 horse engine.

Bronco Buster
05-16-2003, 02:53 PM

Hey Man, did ya see the LOL at the end of the post? A joke is a joke and should be taken as such. My cousin drives a jeep and she loves it. I think thats cool. However, it is a Bronco forum and I gotta keep the humour alive. How else can I keep up with all the Ford jokes everyone makes at me?

Kev.

Big Jim
05-17-2003, 01:59 PM
I have a 79 CJ-7 and a 93 Bronco. I have been driving Jeeps all my life, I even took my drivers test in a topless CJ-5, tester didn't like it :lol: ! Broncos and Jeeps are a whole lot of fun. If I had to choose one, I would keep Bronco much more versatile.

Big Jim
05-17-2003, 03:06 PM
By the way, if gas mileage/offroad ability is the prime concern both Jeeps and broncos are the wrong way to go. This is the most trailworthy fuel efficient vehicle that I know of in existance:
http://www.puresuzuki.com/cobby.jpg
The Suzuki Samurai!

They are easy to work on and are great micro rigs!

Hulk
05-17-2003, 07:42 PM
You will probably get a few miles to gallon less with the bronco. The shock from the 32 gallon tank can be eased by not filling it all the way. Sure it costs less to fill the Jeep but I'll bet you don't go as far on a tank of gas. Wranglers are good stock wheelers but not near as nice to drive anywhere else.

vfrf2
05-19-2003, 12:02 PM
I'm new...but, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I just sold a Jeep XJ (Cherokee) and I sold it only due to the fact that I don't feel comfortable towing a 3000 lb boat with it. I'm looking for a full size Bronco to do my towing with. Consider your future plans as well...go for the Bronco, not the Jeep...it's a great vehicle...but, has it's limitations.

Viffer...