How to cheaply get more power out of 351? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: How to cheaply get more power out of 351?

79FordBronco
06-03-2004, 10:02 PM
I have a 79 bronco with stock gears, 351m motor, pushing 40" Boggers. As you can imagine, the motor has a hard time pushing the tires in thick mud. This is only a mud vehicle so I don't want to spend money buying a new engine or regearing. What are some good ways I can get more power out of my motor. I have actually thought about putting NOS on it because I am desperate. I know it can hurt the engine, but if it dies I won't be too upset. Is this a really bad idea to put NOS on an old engine? Does octane booster help much, what else? Thanks!!

WhoaDammit
06-03-2004, 10:09 PM
I have a 79 bronco with stock gears, 351m motor, pushing 40" Boggers. As you can imagine, the motor has a hard time pushing the tires in thick mud. This is only a mud vehicle so I don't want to spend money buying a new engine or regearing. What are some good ways I can get more power out of my motor. I have actually thought about putting NOS on it because I am desperate. I know it can hurt the engine, but if it dies I won't be too upset. Is this a really bad idea to put NOS on an old engine? Does octane booster help much, what else? Thanks!!

Avoid NOS. Is it a Windsor or a Modified? The easiest power is to swap to a 4bbl, if you haven't already. From there, manifold, then cam. Those are the simplest and fairly inexpensive..... fairly..

~Critter

79FordBronco
06-03-2004, 10:19 PM
it is a modified, how much power will the new carb give it? Will summit sell the one I need? Thanks

WhoaDammit
06-03-2004, 11:54 PM
I'll have to check around for the proper CFM, but a good 4bbl can deliver comparble mileage and more power. probably want a 13:1 Air-to-fuel ratio for all your torque demands. Summit will most likely have what you want. A Truck Avenger, or something similar from eddlebrock/carter or rochester should sufice. A good cam is the best and most obvious choice, but the Intake and Carb need to be right. Some might be better able to steer you in the right direction Carb wise. 650 cfm might be enough.

~Critter

shadowcaster
06-04-2004, 12:27 AM
If you can find one cheap enough ( they are out there), go with a 400. Better torque, at least. The four barrel is a very good idea. 650cfm is perfect. Any more than that will make the 351 feel even worse. I'm ASSuming that your not running too much rpm, so a good dual-plane manifold (like the Performer) is an excellent choice. A cam change would help also, but be careful; it's doesn't take much to overcam an M. Cams with lots of duration on the exhaust work best on most older Fords. The exhaust ports are nothing to write home about, especially with the Thermactor bumps. My 429 has the same issues, so my cam has 210deg. on the intake, 219deg. exhaust (@.050 lift). Really woke it up.

Looking for a cheap motor isn't a bad idea. Heck, I only paid $50 for a 76,000 mile 429 from a '72 T-Bird. Of course I spent some coin rebuilding it, but I hear about running 460's for stupid cheap all the time. Find one with all the right brackets & manifolds, and all you need to buy is motor mounts (L&L, $125).

Sorry, long-winded reply from a guy who dumped the M a long time ago..... :thumbup

2fastnaz
06-04-2004, 04:14 PM
You might try roller cam and rockers too. that frees up alot of power with relatively little investment.

venom
06-05-2004, 10:36 PM
running 40's on the stock gears is a huge part of your problem...
how many axles have you went through?

shadowcaster
06-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Don't know if anything will overcome that..... :brownbag

AntiRice351
06-07-2004, 01:23 AM
regearing will be the best thing you could do. getting more power will only help you so much. but i couldn't imagine running 40's on stock gears.I'd switch to something 4.88 or higher

Davids78Bronco
06-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Fill it with dirt, water it every other day, and add fertilizer every month, because that's all it's going to be good for - a planter

Don't get cheap. Do it right, and regear the F'er after you drop in a big block. While you're at it, swap in axles that can handle the tires

SquattyD
06-07-2004, 03:01 AM
haha thanks dave.

i didnt want to be the one who had to say it

79FordBronco
06-07-2004, 01:41 PM
David, Just stop replying to posts if you are going to be such a smart ass. Just like in that post about the manual transmission, the guy had made up his mind that he wanted to get rid of his automatic. I understand how you might have misread that question as I did at first but you still got an attitude with him instead of being nice about it. AND now, in my post you write that, and that just pisses me off. This is my 2nd car and maybe everyone can't afford a big block and 1 ton axles. This is my vehicle to just have fun in, not spend a fortune on it. I would like to keep it running as cheaply as possible so if I want to be cheap with it, it is my own damn business so stop telling people what to do with their vehicles. If you want to put your imput, then fine, do it, but don't be such a know it all smart ass just because your one of the top guys and think you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want to. Go ahead, ban me, I could care less. I used to love reading these forums with all the good information, but I won't be back. I am not going to visit forums where the moderator is being a jerk to other members. And yeah all its good for is a planter huh? You bring your little Bronco down here and I can go twice as many places as you can. It's people like you that ruin the fun in going fourwheelering. I sure as hell hope I never see you out on the trails, but your Bronco will probably be broken down anyways.

SquattyD
06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
uhh, hello? you asked for an OPINION. he gave you his OPINION.

is he forcing you to put a big block in your truck? No. so stfu.

it must suck going thru life without a sense of humor.

79F150
06-07-2004, 04:42 PM
:lolup He is right about the gears bang for buck that would be the cheapest for the most power gain you could buy.

Davids78Bronco
06-07-2004, 10:31 PM
:cry