Camber Bushing and Ball Joint [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Camber Bushing and Ball Joint

NitroMan23
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I need some advice after installing new ball joints and the Moog adjustable cam bushing. My bushing does not seat all the way down on the knuckle like in this photo from another thread (first and third photos). http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175410&highlight=camber

After thinking about it some more - Do I need to loosen the ball joints to drop down the BJ's and then get the bushing set properly. Then torque the upper BJ first?

Also, Does anyone have the proper torque specs for the BJ's?

I know I tightened up the lower BJ first, so maybe that's my problem?

omp
08-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I have a similar situation but after I measured and compared stock bushings noticed that moog ones are a bit longer

mouzer1
08-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I have a some what similar issue. I am going to replace my ball joints with the Dana bj's from Bronco Graveyard. They come with camber adjusters but do not indicate what degree. I had my Bronco aligned recently and they said I needed a 2 degree cam kit. Will the adjuster that came with the ball joints work or do I need another kit? Please help, I am going to do the ball joints tomorrow... Thanks

Cameron
89 Bronco
4" Pro Comp Lift
:banghead

NitroMan23
08-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I think you need the kit. Especially since you have the lift.

95F1504x4EB
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
After thinking about it some more - Do I need to loosen the ball joints to drop down the BJ's and then get the bushing set properly. Then torque the upper BJ first?

Also, Does anyone have the proper torque specs for the BJ's?

I know I tightened up the lower BJ first, so maybe that's my problem?

You need to get a Haynes Repair Manual if you are doing these types of repairs on your rig.

1. Place the camber bushing in in the axle beam at the correct orientation.
2. Lift the knuckle into place and tighten the lower BJ nut to 35-40 ft. lbs with loctite.
3. Tighten the upper nut to 85-100 ft. lbs. and continue tightening until the hole in the BJ aligns with the castle nut, then install the cotter pin.
4. Tighten the lower ball joint nut to 95-110 ft. lbs
5. Install axleshafts, spindles, brakes....

NitroMan23
08-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the responses. My ABS light is on so one of my sensors is foobar.
I figured I would have to go back and do it again. This helps a lot.

mouzer1
08-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I think you need the kit. Especially since you have the lift.

You were right, the camber adjusters that come with the Dana Ball joints are only 1 degree. i ended up getting a kit from Napa that allows adjustment from 1.75 degree to 3.25 degrees. Expensive liitle guys ($35 each) but at least I don't have to worry about not having the correct size.

Thanks for the support