Front Axle U-Joint....ugh [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Front Axle U-Joint....ugh

BigWheelz
09-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Add this u-joint to your "if I buy it I will break it" List: Precision 377 super strength U-joints for Dana 44 front axle shafts, left & right. There is nothing super and nothing strong about this joint. I should have left the squeaky Vatozone duralast joints in there....:banghead

Now I have two broken u-joints, two damaged axle seals, and some beat up but in-tact axles. Sad part is I broke them on a hill I have climbed many times without incident, and the wheels were straight!!:madder

Anyhow, the 5-760X's are on their way, along with some new shafts from JBG. Perhaps we should start a thread detailing U-joint strength?

lifeizhard102205
09-05-2011, 11:19 PM
thanks for the heads up

7LBRONCO
09-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I bought the best ones NAPA had, and the pass side is already wore out, after only 2 years. NAPA claimed they were re-boxed Spicers.

jopes
09-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I bought the best ones NAPA had, and the pass side is already wore out, after only 2 years. NAPA claimed they were re-boxed Spicers.

bull shit.

best every day u-joints are the spicer non greasable u-joints. they are forged trunnions which make them far stronger than the POS u-joints you get from the chain stores.

OX1
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
bull shit.

best every day u-joints are the spicer non greasable u-joints. they are forged trunnions which make them far stronger than the POS u-joints you get from the chain stores.

This.......

If you can't see the huge difference in just the surface quality/machining of the body, you have never layed eyes on them.

7LBRONCO
09-06-2011, 07:21 PM
bull shit.

All I am saying is what NAPA told me. THIS time, I WILL buy only branded Spicers. On mine the needle bearings are shot, after 2 years. Has nothing to do with the strength of the trunions.

LarryP
09-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Those Precision joints suck ass. I warranted 8 of them last yr.

OX1
09-07-2011, 07:46 AM
All I am saying is what NAPA told me. THIS time, I WILL buy only branded Spicers. On mine the needle bearings are shot, after 2 years. Has nothing to do with the strength of the trunions.

The spicers also have double seals, that "click" into place. Holds in grease and keeps out water very well, which is what would kill needles. I'm not saying they are the end all, be all, but you will most likely break stock axles/driveshafts before these spicers.

newageroman
09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I read lots of threads on here and copule other sites about ujoints and came to this based soley on research - spicer life non greasable units. I tried and tried to find a site that had a price break if buying 4 (3 for rebuilt shaft and one extra in the truck), but wasn't able to find any site that would discount a set of 4. Dennysdriveshaft sent me some for pretty cheap and they are spicers. Just got to get the fr. driveshaft together and in and see how she runs.

Good luck and thanks for the heads up.

Bronco85
09-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I always forget to regrease ujoints so I buy the non greaseable.... they usually last 2-3 years, atleast I go through and replace them every 2-3 years...

BigWheelz
09-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Update: I have a set of Yukon hardcore axles and 5-760x U-joints headed my way, thanks jbg.

I am going to 4 wheel parts this morning to see what the Alloy USA 11500 u-joint looks like. These are greasable at each cap and they are cold forged. If the quality looks good I will give them a shot with the Yukon axles. The price is fair at $40 each.

I have the axle apart now, both of the precision 377 joints sheared right before the cross. I am no expert, but they look like they are cast. The 377 joints have the number 371 cast into the side of the cross. This tells me that the Precision 371 non greasable joints are probably the same as the 377 without a grease passage drilled through the middle. If so then I expect the 371 joints are not much stronger than the 377.

For now, I am swearing off precision U-joints altogether. Early this year I had the rear driveshaft literally come apart at the CV....again precision "super strength" u-joints. I originally took it as being too much torque....now I am not so sure.

My old front axles are beat up, but I think they are salvagable as spares. I will put some 5-760x joints in there and keep them on hand in case of future breakage.

BigWheelz
09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Update #2: Alloy USA 11500 U-joints are "Made in China". Ya'll can make your own decisions on what that means....

For me it means I passed on the Alloy USA u-joints and purchased more Spicer 5-760X "made in USA". You can really see the difference in the Spicer vs the Precision. Wish I would have used the Spicer joints to begin with.

TdmayfieldIV
09-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I used those precision "super strength" joints and broke them the first trip. Before my won tons I put a set of yukon chromo shafts with spicer 760x u joints andl full circle snap rings. I only had them for 1 run but my intention was to break them because I had my 1 tons already. So I tried and couldn't break them. I did break my 9" though, so I was trying:histerica

jopes
09-10-2011, 09:44 PM
The spicers also have double seals, that "click" into place. Holds in grease and keeps out water very well, which is what would kill needles. I'm not saying they are the end all, be all, but you will most likely break stock axles/driveshafts before these spicers.

Actually you need to look closer. The cap has a tripple lip seal plus a hard plastic dust seal. Seems the plastic dust seals will crack some times on install. But it will not hurt the uj due to the tripple lip inside of it.

BigWheelz
09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Update #3: All back together and working very well! The Yukon shafts and spicer u-joints went together without issue....everything from JBG fit like a glove. I hope to test it all very soon....I can hear that hill climb taunting me.

On a side note for the efi guys: I found an ecm out of a 1995 460 van a while back. Since I had time, I installed it to see if it works. All I can say is wow! The 1995 ecm unlocks a lot of power and torque, plus it has a much better idle strategy.

OX1
09-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Actually you need to look closer. The cap has a tripple lip seal plus a hard plastic dust seal. Seems the plastic dust seals will crack some times on install. But it will not hurt the uj due to the tripple lip inside of it.

Yeah, I meant one rubber seal and one plastic, but if you want to be picky about it. :slap

bigfootford1
09-29-2011, 09:25 PM
How much did all them goodies set you back? Mines been sitting for 2 years and putting my my finally fresh 400 in this weekend, I know my axle joints are dried and rust filled by now

raleigh
09-29-2011, 09:33 PM
I broke a couple of the plastic seals when I did my Ujoints, i was a bit worried but from what I read here is should not be an issue.

Thanks for the udated info!