: EDIS 8 on a 460?

Red91XLT
10-11-2011, 02:32 AM
I realize that this forum is a little more Hi-Tek than just a mere question, but Crazed's 460 swap got me thinking about the EDIS system being used on a 460.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the 460 share the same firing order as the 302? (or am I thinking of the HO?) Either way, I googled a little bit, and found some conversations about it, but couldn't find anything conclusive about it.

Anyone know anything about this kinda thing?

stormfinder
10-11-2011, 03:09 AM
i remember reading on corral or fordvchevy about a 460 and a 427w that were modified for coil on plug, im not sure about the first gen edis system though

Fireguy50
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
need to modify a cam sensor to fit where the distributor was
And need to mount a tone ring and crank sensor to the dampener.

Red91XLT
10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Think it would work though, Ryan? I'm sure someone somewhere manufactures a cam sensor, and I could machine a tone ring if I was to ever be truly serious about doing this. It just makes sense to me in the most logical way to go EFI....

Fireguy50
10-12-2011, 12:47 AM
You can fuel inject anything. I personally have wired a flat head Ford V8 and many other weird engines for fuel injection.
1) Ignition parts (distributor or cam&crank sensors)
2) Injectors and a throttle body adapted to the intake manifold
3) Wiring
4) Computer might need to be programmed for the engine

magnumpi
10-12-2011, 01:08 AM
technically, you don't even need a cam sensor. It is just used to fire the injectors sequentially. The spark plugs are fired off the CPS in waste spark. You do have to have something in the distributor hole to drive the oil pump thou. It would be convinent to find a ford cam sensor that would "plug in" the 460. maybe stop by a parts store and rummage thru their stock with a caliper? You might find one close. Or it wouldn't be too hard to make something that modifies the stock distributor to turn it into a cam sensor.

My 393w has a ford edis8 module running the ignition system. I had a machine shop make a spacer to replace the spacer i had that goes between the balance pulley and my aftermarket balancer. I then pressed on an explorer trigger wheel. Swapped on a late model 5.0 explorer tming cover for the crankshaft position sensor mount and used some explorer edis coil packs and plug wires. I modified a 5.0 cam sensor to 'fit' the 351w block.

The EDIS 8 is really simple. It physically just replaces the TFI. There are only 3 scalars in the EEC that need to be changed to get it working correctly. Im pretty sure it will run without these changed, but just at base timing only.

cajunrebel
12-07-2011, 04:17 AM
The EDIS 8 is really simple. It physically just replaces the TFI. There are only 3 scalars in the EEC that need to be changed to get it working correctly. Im pretty sure it will run without these changed, but just at base timing only.

What scalars are you changing in the EEC to run EDIS in place of TFI? I would like to step up from TFI on my EECV setup.

magnumpi
12-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't recall what the exact names of the scalars, but Im pretty sure there are only 3 to mess with:
One is something like "EDIS system present" set to 1
Another is "HDRES" or somthing similar. set to 1 to turn on High data rate electronic spark.
The last is another switch to select either a hall effects or VR sensor for the cam position.

Heres some info on it, the scalar information isn't 100% right:
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19331

magnumpi
12-07-2011, 10:47 AM
The above scalars I mentioned are in a foxbody mustang based eec (with a guf* strat) The scalars might be different or not there at all in an older eec. I think you could still get the edis to work thou even if those scalars are not there. The EDIS basically just replaces the TFI module, you don't add any extra wires to the eec for it, unless you run a cam sync/cam position sensor.

And, for a 460 cam sensor, I've heard that a 3.8 ford cam sync is a drop in replacement for the 460 distributor. I have not tried this myself thou