: 2002 Expidition, can you remove a 5.4L head without pulling engine?

Gacknar
11-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Any body know this off the top of there head?

Family member dropped a Helicoil into the cylinder, head has to come off. Just need to know if I have to pull the engine out to do it.

If you have a link to a wright up, that would be nice.

TheUnforgiven
11-25-2011, 08:25 PM
i'm not sure about an expedition, but our top mechanic at the last shop i worked for, yanked the cylinder heads off a 5.4L in an ECONOLINE 350 with the engine IN the van.

boy he hated that job.

i'd imagine it could come out with the engine in the expedition, if it could come out of an E-350 with the engine still in the vehicle.

Handy_andy_cv64
11-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Okay, here's the big scoop: Ford has their techs remove the cab to access the engine for heavy work. The engine will not come out in the conventional sense. Now, having said that, there are ways around the difficulties in removing the cylinder heads on 4.6/5.4L engines.

First, I don't remember if this is true, as I haven't done any work under the valve covers yet, but my understanding is that the engine uses head studs/nuts, rather than bolts. That really complicates head removal. What I heard is that after removing the nuts, you unscrew the studs. Tightly wrap rubber bands around the studs that don't clear the body so that the bands hold the studs up above the block deck. Do the timing chain removal work, then break loose the head and slip a piece of cardboard between the head and block before removal so you don't damage the head. If anyone else has any suggestions or a better way to do it than my way, please feel free to speak up.

Mels
11-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Okay, here's the big scoop: Ford has their techs remove the cab to access the engine for heavy work. The engine will not come out in the conventional sense. Now, having said that, there are ways around the difficulties in removing the cylinder heads on 4.6/5.4L engines..
That's complete and utter bunk. On a Super Duty with a 6.0 diesel, yes, they pull the cab.

An Expy with a 5.4. NO.

Gacknar, you can pull the heads off the 5.4 I saw our engine guys do it a few times in the truck shop. Also saw the tech pull the whole engine out, when doing major thing like short/long blocks.

alaskan155
11-26-2011, 12:24 AM
YES YOU can i removed both heads on my 99 5.4 f150 to replace the head gaskets/(replace a warped head leaking oil down the back of the engine), its tight in a few places but possible.

according to the ford servvice manual you are suppose to pull the cab(make the job quicker an easier)

but took me 2 1/2(3 the first time) days by myself(no help) to pull the heads from start to finish and 8-9hrs straight work days you need new head bolts, as they are torque to yield bolts, and mutiple extensions and pivot(u-joint) socket extensions, and white out

common practice on 5.4 f150/expiditions(write ups on how to lift cab)
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2009/01/expedition-cylinder-head-removal-body-off/
http://www.f150forum.com/attachments/f2/25570d1288920704t-5-4-liter-head-gasket-oil-leak-truck-torn-apart-001.jpg
http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/fairlaner-albums-03-f-150-7700-bi-fuel-work-truck-picture28905-head-gasket-oil-leak.jpg

but as said ive done it without lifting the body and its a PITA. but i hear its 20x easier to lift the cab

if you pm me your email i think i can copy the factory service manual and email it to you(its like 20-30 pages and step by step.
the Crank need to be at a certain clock position, you need whiteout to mark the crank and timing chains, and cam gears, if you got any questions let me know, ive done the job twice.

btw the factory manual(after 98) says to remove the engine(or cab) so you dont damage the head surface reinstalling it, the head is a very soft aluminum. i have 96-02 on my computer for ford

alaskan155
11-26-2011, 01:05 AM
http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k625/alaskan155/

i copy some of the stuff, im going to pull it down tommarrow at midnight(mountain time) since its copy righted by ford but enjoy

alaskan155
11-26-2011, 01:08 AM
see above

MikE2
11-26-2011, 01:32 AM
How did you get a caltrans truck in Colorado?

Gacknar
11-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Ok, let me put it to you another way.

If all you have is hand tools....

Can you take a head off of a 5.4L in a 2002 Expedition.

I can not take the body off.
I do not have access to an automotive shop. I have a carport, hand, and a few air tools.

We, unfortunately have yet to put in a lift. :duh :histerica :smilie_slap
(Or even close in the garage)

Mels says it can be done, so.......

Mels
11-26-2011, 01:46 AM

Riiiiiiiiight. Cause I would know... I'm just a dumb ol girl. :haha Like I said... I worked in the truck shop 2 years, I was out in the shop several times a day and knew what they were doing...cause I was the parts bitch, haha.

They did a lot of 5.4 head jobs, heli coils, heads, engines... and I never once saw Tim pull a cab. The only time they pulled the cab was for diesels in big trucks. I have seen them do heads on a 6.0 diesel WITHOUT pulling the cab off... why? Cause we serviced a lot of ambulances and you can't pull the cab on those because of all the electrical stuff.

Besides, how the hell would you do an Expy like that? You can't exactly lift the whole damn body off the thing. Well, I guess you could, but by the time you got around to doing it, you could have just gotten the heads off... :doh0715:

alaskan155
11-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Ok, let me put it to you another way.

If all you have is hand tools....

Can you take a head off of a 5.4L in a 2002 Expedition.

I can not take the body off.
I do not have access to an automotive shop. I have a carport, hand, and a few air tools.

We, unfortunately have yet to put in a lift. :duh :histerica :smilie_slap
(Or even close in the garage)

yes i listed the tools, and time it took me, unfortunately i didn't have access to a lift either in my original post i just post pictures of the shop guide as more as a reference for removing the heads, and torque specs and etc, think the only tool i forgot was an harmonic balancer puller and installer(don't use factory bolt to install balancer, i f'ed the threads on mine using the factory bolt and also large vice grips are need to rotated cam(or fords special tool) to reinstall chain.

and as i said it took me 2-3 days to tear down and reassemble at 8-9hrs a day doing it in the truck. these 5.4s are little more complicated compared to a 5.0 or 5.8 in our broncos, they are interference motors, have tty bolts, and etc which according to other that have done the job, it is easier to do it by lifting the cab,

the pita parts are the wiring harness bracket behind the ps head, the powersteering pump bracket on driverside head, and exhuast manifold bolts if 4wd. i found it easier to leave the wiring harness bracket behind head unbolted and layed harness on trans for easier access for future jobs, unbolts the ABS module to access the exhuast manifold bols and ps pump bracket bolts, and removed the inner wheel wheel liners(this is a must).

on reassembly hold your tools tight, sockets like to dissapper under the intake manifold.

/==0=\
11-26-2011, 02:06 AM
I don't fool with a lot of gas motors, but if I remember right there is a special tool you need to do this. I might be thinking of the 32v motors though, its been so long since I've been inside one.

alaskan155
11-26-2011, 02:23 AM
How did you get a caltrans truck in Colorado?

not my pictures, all from the internet, as is the link removing the expedition body,

i was going to use a lift to do the job, but the auto hobby shop on based was booked, and the steelership wanted $1600 to do the work, so i did my research online, and dived in, and did it in truck for$500(might have been a tad more with the headbolts), (which included a rebuilt head and gaskets for the passenger side, mine was warped(hence why i did the job twice, its a pita job

alaskan155
11-26-2011, 02:26 AM
I don't fool with a lot of gas motors, but if I remember right there is a special tool you need to do this. I might be thinking of the 32v motors though, its been so long since I've been inside one.

a harmonic balancer, puller/installer vice grips for cam, and whiteout for chain, socket extensions, open end wrench, and swivel extensions(atleast 2 or 3) are the only special tools, just did this job 1 1/2 years ago, might need 1 for the 32v or 3v motors to syncronize the cames, but not needed on a 2v 5.4

oh and small hands would help in some areas, and alot of curse words.

Mels
11-26-2011, 09:01 AM
I think he's talking about the special tool and thread insert for the heads when they blow out the spark plug.

Actually, the link you posted from Denlor Tools - cause I just went back and actually paid attention and noticed it - Denlor is who we bought our stuff from. The thread inserts and tool and such.

/==0=\
11-26-2011, 12:59 PM
nah i know what a heli-coil is lol. Its a cam tool for the Intech motors, I have one in my box collecting dust. Used it once.

Gacknar
11-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Riiiiiiiiight. Cause I would know... I'm just a dumb ol girl. :haha Not what I meant, you know that.
(It was a challenge to others :toothless)

Looks like the "Project" begins tomorrow.
Wish me luck, I have never touched a Modular engine before.

Another question, and yes Mel I'm looking at you.
Would it make it easier to pull the front clip off to do this, or leave it intact?
What id the boys in the truck shop do?

alaskan155
11-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Not what I meant, you know that.
(It was a challenge to others :toothless)

Looks like the "Project" begins tomorrow.
Wish me luck, I have never touched a Modular engine before.

Would it make it easier to pull the front clip off to do this, or leave it intact?

the front clip is like a ranger, so if you like spot welds go ahead, i would remove the radiator though
for new helicoils i would use timesert so it dont happen again. suppose to be the best fix out there for the 5.4 spark plug problem
http://www.amazon.com/Time-Sert-Triton-Spark-Repair-5553/dp/B0038B325I
look around(ebay) or see if the steelership has a kit and can do it,

and goodluck

Handy_andy_cv64
11-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Mels
11-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Leave it. The only time I saw Tim pull the radiator and grill was when he did complete engine removals.

magnumpi
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Im jealous gack. only engine work I've gotten to do was timing chains on a 4.6. Wasn't hard...but it was in a Crown vic.

And I'm pretty sure the core support and inner fenders are welded to the cab on those trucks, so you cant really pull the whole clip off anyway without some cutting

I think you are suppose to have some special tools to hold the cams and crank to get the chain on right, but I got the one back together ok without anything special IIRC

I was thinking the head bolts were TTY