: Carb cleaner make your hand numb?

fishheds
11-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Today I was cleaning the carb jet on an gocart I picked up for the kids.
I got NAPA carb/choke cleaner on my right hand.About ten minutes later my hand and wrist starts going numb.wtf?
I could stil use it but it felt like it was asleep and when I stuck it out,the ring finger drooped down.3 hrs and a shower later it's coming back but has anyone experienced this and is it dangerous?
If not ,could I apply it to my forehead and scalp for my visit with the ex-inlaws?;)

RichG
11-26-2011, 07:58 PM
They've said for years that solvents are not good for you, and you shouldn't get them on your skin... sounds like you just got proof of that! I think I'd start wearing gloves when I used carb cleaner if I were you.

vintagestrat08
11-26-2011, 08:20 PM
my finger never dropped but carb cleaner feels cold and sorta numb on my skin too

Leardc
11-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I shouldn't be spraying this stuff on my balls then?

JScatt
11-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Haha...this is funny stuff.

Its cuz of wusses that complain of a little discomfort that all the good chemicals are being banned. Next time you wanna clean somthing use Pomolive....lol

vintagestrat08
11-26-2011, 09:23 PM

Its cuz of wusses that complain of a little discomfort that all the good chemicals are being banned. Next time you wanna clean somthing use Pomolive....lol

shiit I'm not complaining. I don't really care how it feels

explorerst4x4
11-26-2011, 09:30 PM
IT PUTS THE CARB CLEANER ON ITS SKIN OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paintballdude902
11-27-2011, 04:41 AM
PUT THE CARB CLEANER IN THE BASKET

JScatt
11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
IT PUTS THE CARB CLEANER ON ITS SKIN OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA...I was waiting for that one!!

fishheds
11-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Yeah,haha.You a funny guy explorerst4x4.Funny guy.:goodfinge
The hands fine today,but the ring finger's still got a slight twitch.Yall be careful with that crap.I just got impatient trying not to drop the jet,and wound up getting some strange last night.:rockon

miesk5
11-27-2011, 12:02 PM
They've said for years that solvents are not good for you, and you shouldn't get them on your skin... sounds like you just got proof of that! I think I'd start wearing gloves when I used carb cleaner if I were you.

yo, I AGREE with RICH

here is the MSDS on Gunk Carb Cleaner (http://www.rscbrands.com/products/msds/M4814.pdf) (by RADIATOR SPECIALTY COMPANY) for instance;
This material is considered hazardous by the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200).

Fisheds wrote, :...my hand and wrist starts going numb..." = that is "central nervous system effects) below:
Overexposure to this material has been suggested as a cause of the following effects in humans: central nervous system effects, cardiac sensitization, and kidney damage.

Skin Contact: Product may cause irritation due to defatting of skin.
Inhalation: High concentrations of vapors may irritate nose and throat and cause symptoms of intoxication such as dizziness, nausea, headache,
or indigestion.
Exposure to this material may aggravate any pre-existing condition sensitive to a decrease in available oxygen, such as chronic lung disease,
coronary artery disease or anemias. Individuals with pre-existing heart disorders may be more susceptible to arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats) if
exposed to high concentrations of this material.

==

I was using carb cleaner yesterday on da John Deere...I sprayed some on some parts and stopped because of the odor.. I rearely use it and forgot about the odor and having it on me even after a shower (I use soap .. sometimes...:doh0715:)

79F150
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Skin Contact: Product may cause irritation due to defatting of skin.

Hell I need to start spraying it on my mid section..:rofl:

Handy_andy_cv64
11-27-2011, 01:27 PM
All joking aside, I had a friend die (back in '88) from liver disease due to organic solvent poisoning. "Organic solvents" refers to chemicals derived from the use of crude-oil-derived components in a high-pressure vessel to make new compounds. The ingredients of such chems as carb cleaner, fuel additives, etc. will kill you if used too long in enclosed spaces. At the shop, I wear gloves and eye protection, and should be wearing an organic mist respirator; I just hold my breath and blast the area with compressed air. Smart, huh?

WuTang
11-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I often get weird feelings when using BrakeKleen (mostly when cleaning SKS and Mosin parts :P), but I always assumed it was just because of how cold it was due to the compression of the gasses. Never lasted more than a few minutes. Definitely going to be more careful in the future.

jmorriss
11-27-2011, 04:39 PM
The cold feeling is a function of the solvent evaporating off your skin...the numbness, buy a good life insurance policy...

GetBent4x4
11-27-2011, 04:48 PM
will brake clean and carb cleaner soak through rubber gloves? I used it three or four times and felt odd from it soaking through my nitrile gloves.

RichG
11-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Yeah, 'cause nothing says "cool tough guy" like cancer.:doh0715:

will brake clean and carb cleaner soak through rubber gloves? I used it three or four times and felt odd from it soaking through my nitrile gloves.

I use those yellow gloves you see in the kitchen/household cleaner aisle... and since we're talking about being careful around chemicals: DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER TO DEGREASE METAL BEFORE WELDING~YOU WILL DIE (or wish you damn well did!)

86beast
11-29-2011, 02:38 AM
When I get carb cleaner on my hands they dry instantly white like a very bad dry skin. Starts burning and itching like a bitch and I have to wash my hands with dial soap. If it made your hand go numb seek medical attention even afterward and use gloves or the gloves that go half up your arms.

/==0=\
11-29-2011, 05:40 AM
That stuff only causes cancer in California. It says so right on the can...

miesk5
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
yo, I recall techs using Carbon tetrachloride to clean electr/elex terminals

In Navy was cleaned a lot of stuff incl our greasy hands w/Trichloroethylene

JohnMcD348
11-29-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't wear gloves when I use it to clean car parts, but I try my best to keep it off of me. When I do, it really takes the oils out of the skin, go figure, degrease. When I ues it to clean my pistols I end up going through quite a few pairs of nitrile gloves. It eats them like nobody's business.

gotwood
11-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Yes its cold

Leardc
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
I haven't seen or used Trich since the early 90s. It worked well, apparently bad for the environment and people. Ya I used to clean my hands with it to lol.

Traveler
11-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Trichlorethlene along with most chlorinated solvents were banned and no longer produced.
That is why carb cleaner and brake cleaner does not work like it used to.

Most of those chemicals will not hurt you unless you drink it or get it in a open wound. What you inhale can make you feel funny but will come back out of your body.

Standard cheap gloves will leak and hold the chemical against your skin you need at least viton gloves and even at that they will eventually give out.

miesk5
11-30-2011, 07:45 AM
yo,
I ran a shop at a base and the Trichlorethlene was high pressure sprayed on anythAng that didn't move fast enough.
The OLD MAN insisted that every part of his ship sparkled, so, the order was to spray, wipe, de-rust, wash, dry & paint

fishheds
02-25-2012, 09:02 PM
well,it wasn't the carb cleaner.Pulled the bowl on the go kart again today.Poked out the jet,got a little gas on my hand,put the bowl back on.Ten minutes later my ring finger's all numb and droopy again.This sucks.:banghead