: Junking an old camper

FordFilly
08-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I finally got rid of this really old camper my husband has been storing on the property. It hasn't been used since 1995. It had rain damage and was so rotten it wasn't funny. It sat right along the fence line on the road and looked like **it.

Found out the county refuse would take it if we had a clear title and we did.

Used my old '77 F150 to haul it. The jacks were barely hanging on and it was very scary to get the truck under it before it fell. Things went fairly smoothly getting it on but it sure was heavy on that ol truck. It was a 1968 11' camper.

Got to the dump and they told us where to leave it, but they wouldn't help get it off due to liability issues.

It was a warm day with overcast when we started, we both had sleeveless shirts on. We started to get the camper jacked up when the rain poured down.

One of the rear jacks would not work at all now, just dripped oil all over. Got the other three to lift and we decided to see if it hold long enough to get out from under it. I started pulling the truck out when hubby said STOP! He jacked a little more then said OKAY, then quickly STOP! Too late, he didn't notice that the front jack was getting hooked on the truck tiedown. Now the camper is totally sitting slanted in the truck and two jacks are now ripped off due to dry-rot. With only two working jacks, the camper sideways, it pouring down rain, now we were in a heck of a fix.

I got really mad after messing around for another half-hour or so, and said, "that is it, where is the manager/supervisor". When he arrived, I said, "we need your help because we legally can't drive away from here like this, besides you have the title to this thing now and we can't get it off!"

I informed him I didn't care if the truck got hurt, we didn't have any other choice. He finally agreed to help, got the crusher to come out and put his bucket under the corner of the cabover part of the camper and lifted. We had put the only two working jacks on the back to supported it.

When the camper lifted just off the bed, hubby floored the truck and out she came, tires spinning like crazy but we were clear. Seconds later one of the rear jacks broke and down the camper came with a loud crash.

We were exhausted and soaken wet but happy it was over. When we weighed out, the camper weighed 1,982 pounds. What a nightmare! :wacko

Yard looks good now, Yeah Ha! :rockon Only cost $70.00 to get rid of it too! :rockon

bnkrtstk
08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Good story, it would be better with pics :brownbag

MyFullSize
08-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Good story, it would be better with video :brownbag

I agree! :rockon

:)

Blaze
08-23-2004, 03:18 PM
yeah pics woulda been cool...

Wilbur
08-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Shit I was waiting for the little part of the story to turn X rated. I thought I was going to read something along the lines of,

"we decided to go at it one last time in the camper before I left..."

I guess that is what I get for reading so many of Mels damn stories. :brownbag

MikE2
08-23-2004, 09:09 PM
They are fun to rip apart. Throw a chain through the windows and hook it to the truck. I used to have one in my back field that I would play with every so often. The funnest part is after it is a pile of wood scrap watching it burn to the ground. :thumbup

locopny
08-24-2004, 01:36 AM
I scraped out a Motorhome once....I got a few bucks for it...even at .015/lb for steel.

getting ready to do a travel trailer next. using the parts to build a toybox type for the EB.

PaulT
08-24-2004, 08:52 AM
My dad is still trying to get rid of his camper. Not working though, I borrowed his truck and don't want to give it back :brownbag