Repairing a rusted tailgate [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Repairing a rusted tailgate

SquareWheels
08-24-2004, 06:06 PM
I would like to just repair my rusted tailgate. Itís rusted on the bottom, common problem it seems.

Does any know of a kit, like a diamond plate or something that you can put on top of the sheet metal? I donít have time, energy, or money for that matter to replace the skin. I just want a quick fix.

Help!

miesk5
08-24-2004, 07:21 PM
look up a local restaurant/kitchen supply firm for an AL piece or find a contractor for a section of alum. trim and cut

http://www.crystalux.com/DiamondPlate.htm

Steve83
08-24-2004, 08:40 PM
You'll only hide the problem and trap more crud inside to make it rust FASTER. Replace the weatherbelts (the long strips that wipe the glass where it goes into the t/g), hose all the mud & loose rust out of the inside (thru the inside access panel), spray all the rusty metal with Naval Jelly, and then COAT the lower inside of the t/g with rubberized undercoating. Spray some paint on the outside, and THEN think about putting your diamond plate over it. ;)

miesk5
08-25-2004, 11:34 AM
$

In-Pursuit
08-25-2004, 02:07 PM
I went through the same thing a year ago. Could not find a kit. Contacted a local body shop and he said it would be cheaper to replace than to try and save it. I broke down and bought a new one from Ford. I coated the inside and bottom lip with Herculiner.

I think Steve has the right idea if you are going to save yours, only issue is maintaining the little clips that are part of the tailgate for things like your torsion bar and window guides.

kenny714
08-25-2004, 02:25 PM
I temp fixed my with aluminum diamond plate. Cut up some old running boards I had laying around. Looks decent, but like was said just covers up the problem.

RLKBOB
08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Clean it up and coat everything with por-15 inside and out before you put on the diamond plate and you should be good.

Sixlitre
08-25-2004, 11:31 PM
I would like to just repair my rusted tailgate. Itís rusted on the bottom, common problem it seems.

Does any know of a kit, like a diamond plate or something that you can put on top of the sheet metal? I donít have time, energy, or money for that matter to replace the skin. I just want a quick fix.

Help!

IMO you're just postponing the inevitable, as Steve and other's say.

I repaired mine each year for 5 years until I broke down and bought an aftermarket shell for about $210 American brand new. Had a body shop pre-spray it inside and out and then I undercoated the inside heavily with spray on sound deadner.

It took no time at all to swap everything over and no bodywork, on my part, was required. That was the second window seal for it I had bought, they are worth it.

Sixlitre

Big_Rig
08-26-2004, 06:24 PM
I just finished "rebuilding" my tailgate. I bought the $29.00 panel and after doing some cutting, I did some more cutting, followed by... you guessed it, more cutting. I did not anticipate how much rust there was. Anyways, long story short repairing a tailgate is a waste of time and money. BUY A NEW ONE!! I happened to have a friend who fabricated metal prieces for me and I welded everything together but it was time consuming and could have been costly had I not had a welder and someone who makes sheet metal. The gate looks good, but I will probably go for a new one next spring.

P.S. I will post a thread with pictures on how I did it, if anyone is interested.

Sixlitre
08-26-2004, 07:54 PM
I just finished "rebuilding" my tailgate. I bought the $29.00 panel and after doing some cutting, I did some more cutting, followed by... you guessed it, more cutting. I did not anticipate how much rust there was. Anyways, long story short repairing a tailgate is a waste of time and money. BUY A NEW ONE!! I happened to have a friend who fabricated metal prieces for me and I welded everything together but it was time consuming and could have been costly had I not had a welder and someone who makes sheet metal. The gate looks good, but I will probably go for a new one next spring.

P.S. I will post a thread with pictures on how I did it, if anyone is interested.
:stupid

Amen !

Sixlitre

miesk5
08-26-2004, 08:09 PM

with all due respects guys, I know you are all correct in replacing ws, etc. but our man squarewheels is in the same fix I was for years when in da Navy and supporting a big family w/prob. at most, $11.00 left in our accounts.
I figure he needs to cover-up the rusted through panels for some kind of state inspection or safety concerns for kids, etc. :thumbup

Sixlitre
08-26-2004, 08:47 PM
with all due respects guys, I know you are all correct in replacing ws, etc. but our man squarewheels is in the same fix I was for years when in da Navy and supporting a big family w/prob. at most, $11.00 left in our accounts.
I figure he needs to cover-up the rusted through panels for some kind of state inspection or safety concerns for kids, etc. :thumbup

We've all been there

then break out the bondo and fiberglass ! Cheap and dirty and fools the inspectors every time ! Don't count on it lasting forever though

Sixlitre

DeeSee
08-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Dry-rotted weather seals... the root of all evyil. :banghead

I'm getting mine fixed next week. LUCKILY, I'm tight with a good body shop, and he's removing all the rusted crap-ola, welding new material in, and finishing it up with an undercoat/paint... for $150. :rockon

My karma is such that it'll turn out his middle name is Rumplestilkson... :shocked

SquareWheels
08-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the help.

For now I would just like to replace the weatherstrip(s) - on the doors too. I'm currently cutting away the more serious rust and fixing the sheetmetal by the rear wheels, the more I strip away the more I find.

So, I'll save the tailgate for later!?!

Does anyone know of a place to get cheap weatherstripping?

I'm also looking for cheap fender flares?

miesk5
08-30-2004, 01:23 PM
yo, good luck!
3 local Ford dealers in our area said the horizontal ws is no longer stocked..their price would have been $34.00 +tax; so:
Fairchild Industries - Bronco tailgate weather stripping (avail at Whitney part number 47ZX6198A); see Product Fairchild Tailgate Window Channel Kit at jcwhitney.com (or enter part # 47ZX6198A @ the J.C. Whitney search site) (http://www.fairchildind.com/product_details.asp?product_type_id=3&product_subtype_id=10)
JC Whitney - tailgate belt weather strip kit (http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&AID=10273849&productId=3078&TID=101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&PID=1117139)
A&M Soffseal - Bronco window channel & run weather strips (http://www.soffseal.com/SearchByModel.asp)
Broncograveyard (http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/20/82) = prob best source due to reputation, price, quality, etc.

Then try local parts place such as Advance Auto, etc and see if they can match or better, beat lowest price on-line.

btw, I PMed you last week, so the PM notifier is prob kaput.