a story from december [Archive] - FSB Forums

: a story from december

thedave78
03-03-2003, 06:19 PM
this happened a couple months ago but it was pretty amusing and i thought you'd enjoy it.
I got off work and it was snowing, so i suggested to my roommate that we take our trucks into the hills and do some cruising. He has a 97 3/4 ton chevy that is pretty much stock but has lsd's so it does pretty well. We had into the hills and it's snoing a lot harder than it was down in the valley. We take a few trails, nothing too difficult but we're bothhaving a blast shooting snow all over the place and sliding through corners.
Where it gets interesting is when we were ready to go back. See, the trails start from a drained reservoir, and there are trails on both sides. For some reason (snow) we wound up on the wrong side of the reservoir and going down the wrong trail. My buddy was leading the way and he started flipping out, didn't want to turn around and kept going faster on this narrow trail.
Can anybody see where this is going? Yup, I don't know how he managed it (snow) but he slid right off the trail into a nice little rock pile. If you've never seen a chevy's aluminum driveshaft shear in half, it's a sight to see. We ended up leaving his truck overnight and drove bac to the reservoir where after about 10 minutes I found the right trail and got us home.
The next day we went back with a couple trucks and got him out, ended up using (and breaking) almost every strap we had. I had to drag him all the way back to the main road. In retrospect I should have left him there because shortly thereafter he quit paying rent and his share of the electric and i'm stuck with more payments than I know what to do with.
I did learn a couple valuable lessons that night. For one thing don't go speeding down unfamiliar trails in the middle of the night in a snowstorm (it turned out a ditch followed that road very closely and we could have easily slid into it). For another, if you know where you are, stay there. No point in getting more lost than you already are. And finally, carry straps when running around with chevy's :lol:

dave

WhiteBronc
03-03-2003, 06:46 PM
this happened a couple months ago but it was pretty amusing and i thought you'd enjoy it.
I got off work and it was snowing, so i suggested to my roommate that we take our trucks into the hills and do some cruising. He has a 97 3/4 ton chevy that is pretty much stock but has lsd's so it does pretty well. We had into the hills and it's snoing a lot harder than it was down in the valley. We take a few trails, nothing too difficult but we're bothhaving a blast shooting snow all over the place and sliding through corners.
Where it gets interesting is when we were ready to go back. See, the trails start from a drained reservoir, and there are trails on both sides. For some reason (snow) we wound up on the wrong side of the reservoir and going down the wrong trail. My buddy was leading the way and he started flipping out, didn't want to turn around and kept going faster on this narrow trail.
Can anybody see where this is going? Yup, I don't know how he managed it (snow) but he slid right off the trail into a nice little rock pile. If you've never seen a chevy's aluminum driveshaft shear in half, it's a sight to see. We ended up leaving his truck overnight and drove bac to the reservoir where after about 10 minutes I found the right trail and got us home.
The next day we went back with a couple trucks and got him out, ended up using (and breaking) almost every strap we had. I had to drag him all the way back to the main road. In retrospect I should have left him there because shortly thereafter he quit paying rent and his share of the electric and i'm stuck with more payments than I know what to do with.
I did learn a couple valuable lessons that night. For one thing don't go speeding down unfamiliar trails in the middle of the night in a snowstorm (it turned out a ditch followed that road very closely and we could have easily slid into it). For another, if you know where you are, stay there. No point in getting more lost than you already are. And finally, carry straps when running around with chevy's :lol:

dave

So uhh where are the pics of the driveshaft? huh huh??

Suck ur boy punked out on you for the bills, I hate people like that

gators0204
03-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Thats what happens when people drive chebbies :)

1982bronco
03-07-2003, 10:52 PM
well it sounds like ya had fun except for the driveshaft.

EDIT: WOOHOO 100 posts!! http://www.nicknetwork.darkfiles.net/~mysmilies/contrib/sarge/Blasting_anim.gif

Crazed
03-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Damn chevys :flipoff: