Straight 6 vs. 351 Windsor V8? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Straight 6 vs. 351 Windsor V8?

bronco_boy
04-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey, I was just wondering what some of your guys' oppinions are on a Straight Six or the 351 Windsor, such as which do you prefer and what you like about them and so on.

The problem I'm having is I have a 351 but when I go off road it tends to over heat more readily then most other engines, yeah I could put an electric fan in and so on but the straight 6 seems like the better option right now, if you didnt read my last posting I was switching from an auto tranny to a manny tranny, but the truck that had the manny tranny had been rolled so the body was shot but mechanically it was better then my truck(with the auto) once I got to the swapping step of the project the manny tranny had issues I had un-forseen,mounting brackects were broken and had been bolted down "Customly" (who-ever did it had no clue what they were doing) so in the end I had to do a body swap, my body from the running truck onto the frame of the rolled truck. In my current truck was the 351 and now I will have the straight six after the body swap is complete. So I was wondering if any one thought swapping the engines (which would create alot more work and possibly unforseen hassels) is worth it or not? any and all oppinions are welcome, thanks.

Shadofax
04-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey, I was just wondering what some of your guys' oppinions are on a Straight Six or the 351 Windsor, such as which do you prefer and what you like about them and so on.

The problem I'm having is I have a 351 but when I go off road it tends to over heat more readily then most other engines, yeah I could put an electric fan in and so on but the straight 6 seems like the better option right now, if you didnt read my last posting I was switching from an auto tranny to a manny tranny, but the truck that had the manny tranny had been rolled so the body was shot but mechanically it was better then my truck(with the auto) once I got to the swapping step of the project the manny tranny had issues I had un-forseen,mounting brackects were broken and had been bolted down "Customly" (who-ever did it had no clue what they were doing) so in the end I had to do a body swap, my body from the running truck onto the frame of the rolled truck. In my current truck was the 351 and now I will have the straight six after the body swap is complete. So I was wondering if any one thought swapping the engines (which would create alot more work and possibly unforseen hassels) is worth it or not? any and all oppinions are welcome, thanks.

The 6 is a nice, reliable, low end torque, long-lasting motor. So I would not trade one. The 351 overall I would prefer (but I'm biased here). It should not be overheating, they don't have issues with this with a properly set up cooling system. Would I go to the hassle of swapping one for the other, probably not.

85f150
04-01-2005, 01:31 PM
It starts all over again....If ya search in the anything else or general pics forum there was a nice poll started with a bunch of info on the motors available in bko's....Long live the six :brownbag

TTBlows
04-01-2005, 02:13 PM
The problem I'm having is I have a 351 but when I go off road it tends to over heat more readily then most other engines, yeah I could put an electric fan in and so on but the straight 6 seems like the better option right now,.

We also have a broncoboy, also from BC. That's gonna get confusing.

Anyhow, if you're avoiding the 351 'cause you think it runs hot, you're on the wrong track. As a general rule Ford overbuilt their cooling systems, a/c systems and even heaters (so the entire HVAC). In the summer the a/c will freeze us out (still good ol' R12, knock on wood) and in the winter the heater forces us to crack the windows.

My '90 351 will run at 205 degrees all day long crawling in the heat with the a/c on. That's with a stock radiator with 195k miles on it and a slight leak where the plastic tank is starting to separate.

Ever heard the expression "cold blooded Ford?" It's quite common, and you'll find many Ford trucks dont' warm up very quickly in the winter.

Anyhow, I'm not gonna debate 351 vs 300 as they're both great motors, but if you want to swap a 300 in place of a 351 because of overheating issues you're not looking for the real problem and it's like killing a housefly w a sledge hammer.

bronco_boy
04-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm not swapping the motors, I am half way through doing a body swap with the body of my current bronco that has the 351 to a rolled bronco that has a straight 6. The over heating isnt what really bothers me, I love my 351 its a great motor I think, its just is it worth swapping the motor over too with the body? do you prefer the 351 or the straight 6?

rsm688
04-01-2005, 05:11 PM
with gas prices at what they are now and will be in 6 months....i would take that 6 in a heartbeat and its got a lot of low end torque

Shadofax
04-01-2005, 05:33 PM
with gas prices at what they are now and will be in 6 months....i would take that 6 in a heartbeat and its got a lot of low end torque

Yep, manuf. better start re-thinking all the mosta trucks they are producing, diesel included. That crap is more expensive than premium around here.

4sd4d
04-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I am currently thinking of installing a smaller radiator in my car because it gets way too cold. In the dead of winter with cardboard over my whole radiator my car would only get up to 175*. That is with a 195* thermostat in my car too.

Most Fords that I have experience with run cooler than I would prefer.

Optika1 illushun
04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Anyhow, if you're avoiding the 351 'cause you think it runs hot, you're on the wrong track. As a general rule Ford overbuilt their cooling systems, a/c systems and even heaters (so the entire HVAC). In the summer the a/c will freeze us out (still good ol' R12, knock on wood) and in the winter the heater forces us to crack the windows.

^---aint that the truth...

Wil
04-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Both my E-150 and my Bronco have straight six's and I love them. They're low maintainance and good on gas mileage. Don't get me wrong a 351 is more powerful and sounds cool, but I don't think I'd trade the 6 for one. As for temp, the Bronco is ALWAYS right in between the O and the R in NORMAL. The E-150 has a wierdness in it's electrics... if you turn the headlights on, the gas, temp, and amp guages all go up :shrug

piney fab
04-03-2005, 10:58 AM
I noticed my 351w before a rebuild would over haet all the time. I found two problems and cured it! Now I can run 3200rpm all day in the summer with out a miss.

Problem #1 My timing was out. I kept tuning by ear... not the way. Get a light and see whats going on. For me it was a strecthed timing chain.

Problem #2 after the engine rebuild, I forgot to purge my cooling system and just kept filling the radiator with fluid. This ruined my cap by over working it. put a new cap on and purged the system with the prestone kit and voila! no more overheating

bronco_boy
04-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Perfect, I'll check that out, thanks for the tip :thumbup