How to Remove Valve Spring Retainer Clips [Archive] - FSB Forums

: How to Remove Valve Spring Retainer Clips

dogsofworr
06-19-2005, 11:24 PM
I picked up a tool to compress the valve springs, but can not get the retainer clips out. Is there some trick? Tried a magnet like Haynes says, with no luck. When I try to push down on the ring that the retainer clips fit into, the valve just moves down. I'm using the small nylon rope method of keeping the valve from falling into the cylinder and it gives enough so that I can't push the valve against it to get the clips out.

I'm not using the lever type of valve spring compressor, but an overhead valve spring compressor that compresses the spring from each end rather than pressing the spring against the head.

Steve83
06-20-2005, 01:41 AM
You have to hold the valve up one way or another. Either by a probe in the cylinder (the bottom end of a C-clamp style spring compressor), or by applying compressed air to the spark plug hole.

Fireguy50
06-20-2005, 02:45 AM
I just bought a large compression test kit. inside had manny adaptors to pump compressed air into the heads.

Dave88LX
10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I guess if my heads are already off, I need one of them fancy ones...

MikE2
10-10-2005, 11:07 PM
If you use compressed air be sure to turn the engine so the piston is directly at top dead center on the compression stroke. If its anywhere before or after top dead center, even a few degreese) The engine can make a very quick turn in either direction with the compressed air pushing on the piston. Its a bitch when your leaning over teh fan or belts when that happens

I guess if my heads are already off, I need one of them fancy ones...
You can take them off with a wrist pin (or a socket) and a hammer, but getting them back on requires the spring compressor

Rudster
10-11-2005, 12:24 AM
If you use compressed air be sure to turn the engine so the piston is directly at top dead center on the compression stroke. If its anywhere before or after top dead center, even a few degreese) The engine can make a very quick turn in either direction with the compressed air pushing on the piston. Its a bitch when your leaning over teh fan or belts when that happens

You can take them off with a wrist pin (or a socket) and a hammer, but getting them back on requires the spring compressor

Damn, I recall doing this about 20+ years ago. If the heads are still on, do as Mike2 suggested. Pull your plugs, turn the motor by hand or use a socket and breaker bar, to the bring the desired piston up to TDC. Nylon rope in the combustion chamber is risky. I would op for the compressor connection via the spark plug hole.

With this done, get your 7/8 or 13/16 socket, place it on top of the retainer and keep it a slight wack. Remember, your not driving a nail in, rather you are just trying to free up the valve keepers from their seated position on the valve stem. one or two smacks should do it. Place your spring compressor on the stud, push the retainer down and use a metal scribe to remove the keepers. take your time, as dropping a valve would be a pisser.

My $0.02

-Rudi-

MikE2
10-11-2005, 01:21 AM
take your time, as dropping a valve would be a pisser.

Thats the main reason you want the piston at the top of the stroke, not the bottom. I know people that will let the air just push the piston down and leave it at the bottom of the stroke and it works fine, but could you imagine how much youd be cussin if that valve fell in.
Also with some cams either the exhaust valve or the intake valve can be opened slightly with the piston at BDC, so the air would be leaking past the seat when your pumping it in there

bigric
10-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Compress the spring, then pull the stem up slightly so that the clips fall off to the sides. You can do this by pulling the valve all the way up, putting a little lateral pressure on the stem to keep it in place, then lowering the spring.

Make sure the piston is at TDC for whatever cylinder you're working on. I never did, and the last time I had to replace stem seals I dropped an exhaust valve. I was lucky enough to be able to pull the exhaust manifold and work it back up there; it only had about 1/4" of the stem still in the guide. I was lucky.

Larston
10-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Before trying to compress the springs, put a 3/4" or so socket over the valve stem and keepers and smack it good with a hammer. This will break loose the varnish holding the keepers into the retainer. It can be a major bitch to break them loose with just a spring compressor.

ScottMoore
10-11-2005, 02:14 PM
:stupid