Seafoam how long? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Seafoam how long?

Bronc40
07-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Okey just put a can of seafoam in the bronc. Need to know how long I should keep it in for before starting it? Motor has about 150,000 miles on it. Thx!

derrick36
07-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I just did seafoam over 4th of july weekend. I left it in for about an hour b4 starting it back up.

Here's a good write up on that stuff http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43682

Bronc40
07-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I just did seafoam over 4th of july weekend. I left it in for about an hour b4 starting it back up.

Here's a good write up on that stuff http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43682

Guess I better fire it up then been about 30 minutes !

stock94
07-09-2005, 02:57 PM
i usually dump it in 100 miles before an oil change

Bronc40
07-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Do I rev the engine or let it idol? :shrug

stock94
07-09-2005, 03:06 PM
i just drive it, i wouldnt kick it too hard, when you dump it in the crankcase, it thins the oil making it less protective

derrick36
07-09-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm guessing you put it thru a vacuum line. I reved the crap out of mine. If you haven't warned your neighbors, I'd do so now. It's going to smoke like an SOB.

Bronc40
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
i just drive it, i wouldnt kick it too hard, when you dump it in the crankcase, it thins the oil making it less protective

Put it through booster vaccum line.

derrick36
07-09-2005, 03:14 PM
It's gonna smoke like crazy.

The stuff works awesome tho

JoeBob1901
07-09-2005, 03:20 PM
you can put it through the crankcase of brake booster line..

the longer you leave it in the intake, the longer it has to work...i've left mine overnight before

derrick36
07-09-2005, 03:22 PM

the longer you leave it in the intake, the longer it has to work...i've left mine overnight before

I was going to do the same thing, but I didnt want to walk my lazy ass to work.

Maybe next time.

Bronc40
07-09-2005, 03:24 PM

Just let it set for half hour. Already noticed improvment. Not that much smoke as expected. Runs nice and smooth!!!!!!!!!!!! :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili:

JoeBob1901
07-09-2005, 04:03 PM
I was going to do the same thing, but I didnt want to walk my lazy ass to work.

Maybe next time.

I just did it after i got off from work..takes 2 seconds to throw it in there :thumbup

jboates
07-09-2005, 04:45 PM
ok so I'm a little slow here but, if I have a 1990 (which the entire engine compartment looks very different from his 1986) which vacuum line do I pull off to let it suck all the of SeaFoam out?

Bronc40
07-09-2005, 04:51 PM
ok so I'm a little slow here but, if I have a 1990 (which the entire engine compartment looks very different from his 1986) which vacuum line do I pull off to let it suck all the of SeaFoam out?

I pulled the vaccum line off of the brake booster on the upper drivers side engine compartment (firewall). Not sure if the 90 has the same setup :shrug

arkansawer
07-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Yes the 90 has the same set up. Mine is a 90, just pulled the vac. line off the booster and fed it sea foam. Waited about 20 or so minutes and started it back up. Smokes like a freight train. Ive let it idle, reved it, and drive it a few miles in a 20 minute time, and it still smokes. But one good thing though, is i found my exhaust leak, lol.

How long will it smoke?

jboates
07-09-2005, 05:50 PM
ok. I'll try to find where the hose is...and hope it's the right one :)

If it's anything like Bardol (sp?), for a while. Bardol smoke pretty bad for about 10 minutes but it might depend on how much crap it's burning out.

Is there such thing as too much SeaFoam? (I have to pass inspection and I have a lot of carbon build up)

GHOSTRIDER
07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
I got a 90 and did the seafoam thing...put a WHOLE can through the brake booster, and a WHOLE can in a tank of gas. Filled it at a rev, let it die, sit for about 30 minutes, when I cranked it back, the smoke was, shall we say, UNGODLY....drove it like I stole it, never ran better!

And to answer your question, I dont think there is any way to use too much seafoam, so long as you are sort of reasonable.

Sixlitre
07-10-2005, 12:06 AM
I got a 90 and did the seafoam thing...put a WHOLE can through the brake booster, and a WHOLE can in a tank of gas. Filled it at a rev, let it die, sit for about 30 minutes, when I cranked it back, the smoke was, shall we say, UNGODLY....drove it like I stole it, never ran better!

And to answer your question, I dont think there is any way to use too much seafoam, so long as you are sort of reasonable.

Ghostrider

Naive question. Everybody says they stall it and let the seafoam sit in the intake for a given period. Does it stall itself as it chokes down the can ? Or hwo do you stall it

Sixlitre (with can in his possession)

JoeBob1901
07-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Ghostrider

Naive question. Everybody says they stall it and let the seafoam sit in the intake for a given period. Does it stall itself as it chokes down the can ? Or hwo do you stall it

Some people's engines stall, others dont..i would imagine it would depend on how strong your engine is running, how much you put in per second, etc...i normally have someone rev it up while im putting it in, then they kill it once it starts sucking air on the seafoam can..

When i've done it alone..it killed my engine, so, i just slowly poured it in until it mostly went in there, and then just let it guzzle it and kill it quick. I Just either let it partially in the can to slurp it up, or dunked it to kill it :thumbup

B_Cheetah23
07-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Now you can also put it in through you carburator, right?!? :shrug I haven't had time to go buy some yet, but I think I heard someone say that you can just pore it straight into there.

PaulT
07-10-2005, 06:07 AM
That is correct
any way to get it into the intake manifold is ok.

Sixlitre
07-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Some people's engines stall, others dont..i would imagine it would depend on how strong your engine is running, how much you put in per second, etc...i normally have someone rev it up while im putting it in, then they kill it once it starts sucking air on the seafoam can..

When i've done it alone..it killed my engine, so, i just slowly poured it in until it mostly went in there, and then just let it guzzle it and kill it quick. I Just either let it partially in the can to slurp it up, or dunked it to kill it :thumbup

Thanks JoeBob

I realize if you stick it in the crankcase you'd best change the oil right away so you don't damage the bearings.

Going in through the intake plenum should you also change the oil too ? Wondering if enough will seep past the rings and contaminate the crankcase oil ?

Thanks in advance (anyone/everyone)

Sixlitre

GHOSTRIDER
07-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Some people's engines stall, others dont..

When i've done it alone..it killed my engine,

Six, one time my engine died on its own, the other time I cut it off after drinking it up....same results, just let it sit a few minutes and then drive it like you stole it to work out the bugs.....

The one thing that c oncerns me is the Seafoam for Transmissions.....do you put it in, drive it and change the fluid, or just jput it in and leave it? :shrug

Waiting for some one to post up on this one.

JoeBob1901
07-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Now you can also put it in through you carburator, right?!? :shrug I haven't had time to go buy some yet, but I think I heard someone say that you can just pore it straight into there.

i did this on my 74 302 in my Maverick. I just pulled off the carb cover, and slowwwwly poured it down in there with someone revving it up, it killed it pretty easily, so i took alot longer to do it. Someone on the Maverick board told me to just empty the rest of the can after I killed it after using about 3/4 the can. I did it..started er up..lotsa smoke like always...I dont know about the "pour after" thing for sure :shrug

The one thing that c oncerns me is the Seafoam for Transmissions.....do you put it in, drive it and change the fluid, or just jput it in and leave it?

Waiting for some one to post up on this one.

I'd imagine it'd be just like the oil. most people put it in the crankcase..drive around 100 miles or w/e, and then drain the oil. The seafoam should break free a bunch of debris..enough to clog your filter...etc, so...then you drain it ASAP. I'd assume you might want to do your next oil change a lil soon too, just incase it had loosened up some more grime.

Tranny...if it's supposed to work the same..i'd probably do the same? Just..run it through for a while..drain, refill? :shrug

broncobum
07-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Ghostrider

i have done this 4 or 5 times on both the 5.8 and the 2.5 in the heep. neither would stall unless i reconnected the booster hose. once i hooked it up, it killed the engine.