Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Manual Locking Hubs - how to test which is bad.

34K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  El Kabong 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 4x4 truck and the previous owner said the front hubs were bad and need to be replaced. So I bought a pair of warn manual locking hubs. I started with the driver side hub and took it out. I replaced it with a new hub. The original driver side hub was broke, the spring and plastic nob, the splines were fine. I then tested the 4 wheel drive and it works - I know this because I tested it in snow.

Now her comes my problem. I did not do anything that would cause anything to break, I did not do any hard turning, driving on dry pavement, I didnt even go faster than 30mph, or anything like that. The next time it snows I go out to my truck lock both hubs, shift it into four wheel drive and hit the gas. The rear tires spin and I am stuck. The front wheels are not engaging at all. I know for a fact that the transfer case is spinning because I can hear it when its in 4x4.

So my question is:

How can I tell what is broken? Is there a test to tell if I blew a hub? If so can I tell which side went bad. I would also like to know any thing you can tell me about testing the 4x4 to tell what is working and what isnt. Since the 4x4 isnt working, I assume I blew a hub but I want to know for sure if it is and which side.

Thanks for your time,
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Shift to 2H, set the e-brake, & turn the engine off. Lock both hubs, get under the truck, & turn the front d'shaft while watching the U-joints in each steering knuckle. The one that continues to spin is broken.

If they both lock & you can't turn the d'shaft any more, the t-case is the problem.

#3 ·
cool, I will have to go try it right now. I really need to get this fixed soon, where I live (near Detroit) we just got hit with several inches of snow and counting. The sooner I knowt the problem the sooner I can fix it.

Thanks,
Chris

I am still open to more hints\tips\or anything else that could help me out.

#5 ·
According to Steve83's test and Warn's test it is my driver side hub. I took the cap off and looked at it. I cant explain it well but the splined ring that the cap pushes back to enguage it is all jacked up. So Now its jammed in there and I cant get the hub off. I took out the retaining ring and tried to get it loose. It will wobble in there but wont slide out. I belive that the center big metal rings are jammed causing pressure on the center spined shaft.

does anyone have any tips on how to remove the stuck hub. I tried just placing two screws into it and pulling on the screws, but it wont comeout, it just wobbles.

#9 ·
My locking hub was stuck and would slightly wobble but would not come free so I used a large c-clamp over the end of the hub and then slipped a shovel handle between the hub and c-clamp down to the tire. While pulling out on the shovel and my friend tapping the hub from side to side with a 2 or 3 pound sledge,the hub slowly worked its way out. When it finally came out it had a few ounces of water in it and was very rusty. You could see where the seal failed. Was a stock Ford hub on a 99 f350. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
tgh444 said:
According to Steve83's test and Warn's test it is my driver side hub. I took the cap off and looked at it. I cant explain it well but the splined ring that the cap pushes back to enguage it is all jacked up. So Now its jammed in there and I cant get the hub off. I took out the retaining ring and tried to get it loose. It will wobble in there but wont slide out. I belive that the center big metal rings are jammed causing pressure on the center spined shaft.

does anyone have any tips on how to remove the stuck hub. I tried just placing two screws into it and pulling on the screws, but it wont comeout, it just wobbles.
remember this are two rings holding it in...small one on the drive axle and a larger one that snaps in to the spindle(?). make sure to remove both or it aint coming out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.