Electric vs. Air grinder... [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Electric vs. Air grinder...

njbuck
02-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I need to cut my bumper up for tow hooks and clearance. I also need a grinder and since I dont have my air tools yet I think I am going to go with an electric model, I saw a Dewalt for sale at home depot.

But before I do I thought I would ask here if anyone has experience/preferences with electric grinders/cutters.

Any advise appreciated,
NJB

Redwagon
02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
well its cheaper to go with electric...also you will have constant rpms...where as if you go with air depending on compressor size you may have to wait for air build up...just make sure you get cutting wheels for the electric one.

welndmn
02-07-2006, 03:08 PM
buy a milwakee (sp?) 4.5 grinder.

ScorpionBoy
02-07-2006, 03:17 PM
i think for what you are doing, you can go get a cheapie from harbor freight. i have a 4.5" angle grinder and it has done way more work than i thought it could. it cost $14

beisel1111
02-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I use a dewlt DW402 4.5" grinder. It's one of the tools I use the most. I can't seem to kill it. It has the paddle trigger on the bottom instead of the slide switch on the side.

81Bronk36
02-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I like my craftsman 4.5" its pretty nice and decently cheap.

desertrat_666
02-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I use a dewlt DW402 4.5" grinder. It's one of the tools I use the most. I can't seem to kill it. It has the paddle trigger on the bottom instead of the slide switch on the side.

I have two electric 4.5"ers, one has slide switch and other one has the paddle trigger . On the electric ones I agree, paddle trigger better in my opion. You can run the hell out of the electric ones.
(Air) Depending on how much grinding you are doing, you may be cycling your compressor alot.

Chuck
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I do a lot with both air and electric, and I'd definitely go electric. Air grinders use a LOT of air, and you'll have to have one hell of a compressor if you want to be able to run it continuous duty (your usual 25gal oilless like my little one is NOT going to do the job for long). Now if you have something with a 5HP continuous duty motor and an oil sumped pump, you're good to go.

I've got a $20 Black and Decker 4.5 we picked up on clearance, and it has no objections to me running it for 1-2 hours continuous like we did cleaning up and grinding the endplates for my rear bumper.

90Beater
02-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Well Electric Has a lot more power. If your friends are watching they will be amazed at the sparks.
http://www.yamaha-ms.com.sg/img/contempo/electric_guitar.jpg

With air you won't acomplish as much. Your friends will chuckle as your instrument gasps on it's last breath of air.
http://db.bbc.co.uk/southampton/music/images/airguitar_150_3.jpg

Oh you said grinder. Same thing. The little 4.5 HF onces work great.

Make sure you get yourself a facemask so you don't end up like this poor guy from Pirate.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/spacecab90/DSCF0281.jpg

waltman
02-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Air grinders rule, if you have a big enough compressor. I have a 7 horse compressor and it is not big enough to supply the air needed to run my air grinder. Just by the electric

TTBlows
02-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Air grinders rule, if you have a big enough compressor. I have a 7 horse compressor and it is not big enough to supply the air needed to run my air grinder. Just by the electric

More specs on your compressor please. Manufacturer, tank size, etc.

I've been considering a pneumatic grinder. The biggest drawback I can think of is that I've never seen any that are surrounded in composite. I mean even my die grinders get cold enough after prolonged use that I need something more than Mechanix gloves; once I even switched to my welding gloves and the cold still came thru them after awhile.

peteyg
02-11-2006, 12:34 AM
I do a lot with both air and electric, and I'd definitely go electric. Air grinders use a LOT of air, and you'll have to have one hell of a compressor if you want to be able to run it continuous duty (your usual 25gal oilless like my little one is NOT going to do the job for long). Now if you have something with a 5HP continuous duty motor and an oil sumped pump, you're good to go.

I've got a $20 Black and Decker 4.5 we picked up on clearance, and it has no objections to me running it for 1-2 hours continuous like we did cleaning up and grinding the endplates for my rear bumper.

Agreed, die grinders use a lot of air. My IR 2-stage cont. duty compressor keeps up, but only just barely, and I have a 64 gallon tank. But...it cuts WAY better than my angle grinder, and the compressor DOES keep up. I use my die grinder a lot, and have never had to wait for the compressor to catch up.

My angle grinder is just some off-brand thing I picked up at a garage sale for $5 about 3 years ago. One time I overheated it and it started smoking and sparking and then seized. When it cooled down it started back up just fine and has worked well ever since. Go figure.....

waltman
02-11-2006, 01:01 AM

I've been considering a pneumatic grinder. The biggest drawback I can think of is that I've never seen any that are surrounded in composite. I mean even my die grinders get cold enough after prolonged use that I need something more than Mechanix gloves; once I even switched to my welding gloves and the cold still came thru them after awhile.
I don't know the specs off hand...it's a coleman stand up model running on 220 volts. It is great for all my other air tools, die grinder, orbital sander, air hammer, air drill, spray gun. It keeps up with all that stuff, but my air grinder which takes the 7" grinding stone eats too much air for me to use it continuosly.

You can't get away from the cold, it's something you have to learn to deal with.

Grains
02-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I bought an electric from Menards, for 20 bucks, seems to run great, and it has a better warranty than bosch did. Its a "tool shop 4"" or 4.5

my .02

XLTChris
02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Harbor freight has it's good and bad products. I bought a HR 4 inch grinder years ago and have used the crap out of it and it works awesome

83bronco5.0
02-16-2006, 12:15 AM
I got a craftsman 4" that works great, I just wish Id spent 10 more dollars and got the 4.5".

2fastnaz
02-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I like air, more RPM, but I have the compressor from hell. CFM is not a problem. I think electric grinders will take more abuse and if I'm grinding heavy metal or grinding for hours on end I use my Makita 4.5" or IR 7" electric. For every thing else it's air.

Dave's Bronc 90
02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Harbor freight has it's good and bad products. I bought a HR 4 inch grinder years ago and have used the crap out of it and it works awesome

I'm not a fan of the HF 4" grinder. I picked one up on sale for $9, so I definitely can't bitch about the price, it was just too good a deal to pass up even though I already had a Craftsman 4". If I was completely deaf I would probably not have an issue with the HF because it actually grinds well enough. The problem is that it sounds like the gears in it are eating themselves whenever it's running.:shocked Like I said, no real performance issues, but it just worries me because the Craftsman is so much quieter. I ended up leaving a sanding flap on it so I don't have to change disks on the Craftsman, works well for that.

njbuck
02-16-2006, 11:27 PM
I wound up grabbing a dewalt 4" from home depot on sale for like $20. Works very well.

Thanks for the advise..
NJB

BurnedB
02-17-2006, 09:00 PM

mac just came out with a new one with pivit head that had composite surround. was major bucks though.

DakotaBronco84
02-18-2006, 01:49 PM
if your compressor can keep up air wins if not electric is the only way to go

OrangeBronco
02-19-2006, 01:42 AM
i recomend a good electric grinder with 7" cutting disks get the .045 disks or other thin disks. they will slice through steel like butter but watch that it dosen;t kick if youlike your fingers.

drinkbrew
02-19-2006, 03:16 AM
i have a cheap harbor freight model, a decent dewalt and a die grinder with 3" cutting blades. they all work great for different things i use my dewalt mostly for cutting, bought the harbour freight model for like 10 or 15 bucks just so i could use a grinding blade on it and not have to change blades. but the die grinder with the smaller 3" blade works better for cutting tighter curves and you have more speed control over the blade

jerelight
02-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I use a 7HP Ingersoll Rand Air compressor, but we use an electric grinder. Get the one from harbor freight. For what you will spend on it you just cant beat it, and they hold up pretty good. But if your going to be cutting stuff out of your bumper, then you want a cut off wheel set up and that I would recommend an air cut off wheel. It a more precise cut.

MikE2
02-28-2006, 01:04 AM
buy a milwakee (sp?) 4.5 grinder.

Just bought 2 of them last night. Plus a Milwaukee 7" grinder too. $99 each for the 4.5" and $188 for the 7" at Home Depot.
I have only used the 4.5" for about 10 minutes today, and it sure had a hell of a lot more power the Craftsman POS I had before. And that 7" is an ass kicker.

I say electric all the way

BurnedB
03-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Just bought 2 of them last night. Plus a Milwaukee 7" grinder too. $99 each for the 4.5" and $188 for the 7" at Home Depot.
I have only used the 4.5" for about 10 minutes today, and it sure had a hell of a lot more power the Craftsman POS I had before. And that 7" is an ass kicker.

I say electric all the way
have 4 of those 7" ones. 2 good opnes, 1 is on its way out, and the 4th is a parts one(burned up grinding concrete)
they grind stuff off so fast!!! they also burn up your arms holding onto them!

MikE2
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I put the 9" wheel on it today and it works even faster. Gotta take the gaurd off, but I always take the gaurds off anyways with all my grinders

midnight95
03-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Yea that Milwaukee 7" can be a handful with a cup wire wheel. I have had a couple go-arounds with one I know. You got you some good quality tools that should last many years, just be careful.

waltman
03-06-2006, 01:50 AM
I put the 9" wheel on it today and it works even faster. Gotta take the gaurd off, but I always take the gaurds off anyways with all my grinders
I used to preffer grinding with out the guards, but now I have some pretty nasty scars on my pointer finger that make me use a guard when ever possible.

As far as the cup shaped wire wheel...don't get too close to your crotch. I had one catch my cover alls and I turned it off just in time to cause minimal damage. A friend of mine got a cup shaped wire wheel caught in his crotch as well. He wasn't as lucky as me, it took the breaker to blow to stop that incident. All is ok, he ended up with two kids since then.

Chuck
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Harbor Freight actually has a pretty good deal going right now on a 9"er for $50, for those who don't do enough heavy work to want to spend $150 on a good DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Hitachi. Picked one up a week and a half ago, and finally had a chance to try it out Saturday. Works great, and runs more smoothly than my name-brand 4.5" grinder.

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/298400/fullsize/DSC00560.JPG (http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=298400&original=1)

SSgtTEX
03-06-2006, 02:31 PM
my DeWalt 4.5" angle grinder works pretty damn well. I get pretty good control over it. always cuts/grinds what I need it too....fender mounts, sheetmetal, carrier bearings, pipe, hitch pin stuck in driveshaft yoke, screw driver stuck in driveshaft yoke, etc

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/235583/fullsize/Picture%20172.jpg

MikE2
03-07-2006, 01:04 AM
I used to preffer grinding with out the guards, but now I have some pretty nasty scars on my pointer finger that make me use a guard when ever possible.

I actually injure myself MORE with the gaurd on. The only time I don't like it is when I'm using a cutting wheel with the left side of the grinder up, it throws sparks right on my trigger finger. I just put a glove on and its fine though

bigfugly
03-18-2006, 11:14 PM
campbell hausfield, blue point and ir all have composite handled grinders...I believe theres a company that makes a sleeve for them also

MX500
03-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Go with a Milwakee (sp) electric grinder. I worked at a welding/fab shop for about 5 months, and we (or should I say me) used the milwakee electric grinders for 4-5 hours straight. I never had a problem with any of the grinders, and they had all been used for a few years. They will last a long time, have a good and consistant speed, and are probably cheaper than the pnuematic grinders.

TTBlows
03-24-2006, 10:55 AM
I was cleaning up flux core welds on my deck the other day, A LOT of welds, with a wire cup wheel on a Harbor Freight 4.5" grinder.

Seriously folks, I say it over and over and I'm not kidding: the vibration from the cheap grinders is a killer. I switched the cup over to my Milwaukee and the feeling slowly returned to my forearms. If you're grinding much, you want a quality, balanced grinder. Stuff like vibration is what causes injuries years down the road.........

MikE2
03-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I have also noticed grinding wheels last a lot longer when theres no vibration

VoltsAndBolts
03-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey, any of you guys tried one of those 7 cutoff wheels that go in a circular saw? Looks like it might be good for straight cuts.

MikE2
03-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey, any of you guys tried one of those 7 cutoff wheels that go in a circular saw? Looks like it might be good for straight cuts.
Yeah they work fine

TTBlows
03-28-2006, 09:34 AM

They're ok if you don't force it and the blade likes to deflect, then it won't cut worth a darn (or it'll force you to cut crooked). Playing w the depth of cut can really help, but then you gotta keep adjusting down as the abrasive wears smaller and smaller.

I was also using the Norton wheel from HD, and IME all Norton abrasives suck.

bigfugly
03-30-2006, 11:41 PM
found some air tools by campbell hausfeld and IR at lowes w/ compostite handles for those lookin for em