Stupid question on greasing. [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Stupid question on greasing.

godless
03-13-2003, 11:26 AM
I know keeping my ball joints, u joints, tie rods greased is important.
I grease them as often as it is needed, probably every 2-3 months or more in the summer.

Whenever I grease everything I never know what is a "safe" amount.
Some people say just keep squeezing grease into them until it squirts out and some people say just use two-three pumps.

Besides the tie rod boots can you really danger any of the u-joints or ball joints by squeezing to much grease through them?

I usually just keep pumping grease through ball joints until I see fresh grease protruding out through them, and same with the u-joints.
Tie rod boots I squeeze grease into them until I see grease start to pop a little out of the boot.
Is this good or am I going about it all wrong?
Sorry it is a stupid question but I would rather be safe than sorry.

dhath
03-13-2003, 11:35 AM
That is the way I have always greased mine. I pump grease until a see just a little bit coming out the rubber seal. :shocked:

Damager
03-13-2003, 12:03 PM
I don't see how it could ever be too much...it will squeeze out a fall off :roll:

1982bronco
03-13-2003, 02:19 PM
that is a very good question. i have always wondered about that.

big mike
03-13-2003, 09:17 PM
You cant over grease any of the items mentioned, just dont pump to quickly and they all will vent grease. The original post mentioned greasing more in the summer........winter and spring are usually the most hostile enviroments, mud and water are the worst. Overgreasing these points helps to flush out dirt.

gearrat
03-13-2003, 11:04 PM
i have never heard of over greasiing those fittings

Damager
03-13-2003, 11:14 PM
figure you could sit there and pump a whole cartridge through it...if it squeezes out it is self regulationg...for lack of a better analogy

figure if it was a contained/enclosed area it could be overfilled, if there was no place for oxtra to overflow

BadassBronco
03-13-2003, 11:45 PM
on your bronco i can say you can safely grease all those things like that. Beware though on some cars as they use a ballon type seal over the balljoints and you can acually pop those and then they wont hold grease worth a crap.

Jon0807
03-14-2003, 12:33 AM
I've heard all of those too. But for ujoints, I do it till it starts comming out. For ball joints I wait till new grease comes out.

dogonmut
03-14-2003, 12:45 AM
I have what some people have called a "retention" problem with maintenance. I have 2 pneumatic grease guns set up for lubing those parts. One has Quaker State Synthetic grease(green) and the other has Mobil One synthetic grease (red). I alternate between the two when lubing said parts. One time green, the next time red and so on...

This way it's easy to know when you have replaced all the old grease with new.

I always lube the night before I go wheelin...like I said I have a problem. :crazy:

Damager
03-14-2003, 12:11 PM
it's ok Dogonmut...being well lubed is a good thing...I'm sure your lady will agree ;) :hump:

godless
03-14-2003, 04:27 PM
on your bronco i can say you can safely grease all those things like that. Beware though on some cars as they use a ballon type seal over the balljoints and you can acually pop those and then they wont hold grease worth a crap.

So the Bronco does not have anything like this right?
When I grease the zirks and the grease pops out the top I can just keep pumping until I see fresh grease right?
Thanks that makes me feel better.

Canadian Bronco
03-14-2003, 04:31 PM
i put more into it until clean grease comes out :mrgreen:

Davids78Bronco
03-14-2003, 04:43 PM
i put more into it until clean grease comes out

This is what I do too, with all my joints

godless
03-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Cool thanks.
I know I can always rely on the board.
If you ask autozone they tell me
"Now not to much cuz youll break the seal".

I would like to break their seal with my fist sometimes when they answer me like that!

welndmn
03-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Well, Let me bounce a few ideas off this
I don't greese like you guys, i give it 1-3 pumps.
Tie rod for example
I pump it until i see the boot expand, then stop.

You know how when you keep pumping until you see greese come out, it makes that "POP" when the greese come outs?, Guess what, thats the seal that supposed to keep the gunk out, each time to make that seal POP it gets quiter and quiter until it really does not seal very well at all.
Most people never notice this, (i am a freak), but get a new something, greese it, hear the pop, then grease the one on, you can see what you've done to the seal

godless
03-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Mark I can see that for tie rod boots but what about u-joints and ball joints. There isnt really a "Boot" for them is there?

welndmn
03-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Ball joints use a boot, along with the u-joints, see that little different colored part underneeth the U-joint cap (looks like a ring), thats the boot/seal

godless
03-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Thank you. once again your the man.