Smog equipment on a 78 [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Smog equipment on a 78

Spectre
02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
I bought an out of state 78 with a 400 in it, but there is no smog equipment.. Does anyone have any diagrams or know what I need to look for to get this thing to be able to be smogged in California. I know it needs cats.. Plus this thing seems to have seperate exhaust pips for each bank of cylinders... weird..

Thanx all.

Lifeliberty
02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think the 78 had cats or emissions stuff. the 79 does, but I don't think it was standard for the 78.

check with others, but I think I read that somewhere

miesk5
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
right our 78 was no cat, no pump, no vapor cannister. passed strict state (not in CA though) emissions for 22 yrs.
more info here:
http://www.projectbronco.com/
esp. "...The 1979 Bronco was basically a direct carry over from the 1978 models. The big difference for the 1979 model year was a full array of emissions equipment, including smog pumps and catalytic converters, that were now standard on all 1/2 ton trucks. Probably the most amazing accomplishment for the '79 Bronco was that Ford managed to satisfy the EPA emissions requirements with very little, if any, loss of performance over the previous model year..."

Click 78-79 Bronco Literature

& this thread by Paul in this post (http://www.broncotech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/011687.html)
& by JginVA - they discuss 49 State vs. CA emissions reqmts. & stickers; esp this: "....Another change was the placement of emissions stickers. As was correctly stated above, 78 Broncos had this sticker on the driver’s side valve cover..." check to see if you have ths sticker intact..& then read this by CA MV (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm) "What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State"..maybe you qualify for one of the exemptions?

&
Late Model (1978-1996) Ford Bronco History (http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/faq.html) "Information on 1978 Bronco specifications was taken from the original 1978 Ford Bronco brochure.

Yearly Bronco update informaton was taken from Ford Truckin Magazine, Winter 1997 Edition. Article Titled BRONCO 30th Anniversary written by Trent Riddle.
Contributors:
James Oxley
John Strauss
Jason Schechner
Matt Kirkwood"

Bronco FAQ by Matt & Ray at off-road.com (http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/bbfaq.html) *** - Bronco FAQ: general, history, TTB definition & description, tires/lift chart, suspension, tailgate, drive line, camper top, body, engine, transmission, axle/suspension, transfer cases & locking hubs ID & swaps, miscellaneous, tips & tricks, etc.

coloranger
02-23-2006, 12:02 PM
78 did not have cats as it was a heavy duty vehicle. When you go to the emmissions place make sure that they note the vehicle weight. I had the same issue when i lived there... every year they wanted to fail it because "all the emmision equip had been removed and filler neck punched"

All you need is the EGR.

Mels
02-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Plus this thing seems to have seperate exhaust pips for each bank of cylinders... weird..
Yeah, it's called true dual exhaust. ;)

Spectre
02-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, it's called true dual exhaust. ;)

yea yea.. I know that.. :slap I just haven't seen a true dual exhaust setup before.. That just means I need 2 flowmasters now.. :doh0715:

Spectre
02-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Being this is a 78 F150 SuperCab maybe I'll be able to get away with something with the weight.. hmmm.

coloranger
02-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Being this is a 78 F150 SuperCab maybe I'll be able to get away with something with the weight.. hmmm.

You should i had a F150 4x stepside that was listed at 6550 (50lbs into the heavy duty) With a supercab you should easily be classified as HD

Spectre
02-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm waiting to hear back from the Consumer Afairs to see what I can do.

jopes
02-23-2006, 04:13 PM
cali equipted 78's had cats, some did not. either way your still going to have to have a working erg and a thermoactive air cleaner which is hooked up to the exhaust manifold as well as the stock 2bbl carb.

your valve cover should say non catilyst. if it says catilyst your going to have to have all of the emissions parts as a 79 does.

miesk5
02-23-2006, 04:26 PM
cali equipted 78's had cats, some did not. either way your still going to have to have a working erg and a thermoactive air cleaner which is hooked up to the exhaust manifold as well as the stock 2bbl carb.

your valve cover should say non catilyst. if it says catilyst your going to have to have all of the emissions parts as a 79 does.
I think he didn't read my post

Spectre
02-23-2006, 04:32 PM
What if it says Non catylists? Do you know which emmissions parts it should have? Also will those be good enough to pass California smog requirements?

I know it doesn't have any cats.. If I have to get cats I'm thinkign about to just get one and have the other pipe cut short so when they put the sniffer on it, they only have 1 tube to choose from. :)

jopes
02-23-2006, 04:57 PM
reread my post it says it all.

jopes
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I think he didn't read my post

yes I did read your post. but I did not feel like clicking all of the links.

miesk5
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
yes I did read your post. but I did not feel like clicking all of the links.
Jopes, I was ref. to Spectre

miesk5
02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
What if it says Non catylists? Do you know which emmissions parts it should have? Also will those be good enough to pass California smog requirements?

I know it doesn't have any cats.. If I have to get cats I'm thinkign about to just get one and have the other pipe cut short so when they put the sniffer on it, they only have 1 tube to choose from. :)

here is your CS DMV site (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm)w/what they need to see on the emission label.

From your inital post, i thought you bought a 78 Bronco; so I'll stop now since I have no idea of what parts you need other than the cat and smog pump which could be easy to obtain and install. The duals could be a prob.

Spectre
02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Well I spoke with the Technical Advisors of the Consumer Affairs in California..who are above the BAR.. >Bureau of Automotive Repair< (They are the last word for stuff like this)

He said California will not make me install anything that didn't come on the vehicle from the factory.. Since it's a 49 state vehicle and not a Ca vehicle. So basically I just need an EGR, TAC and various little things, but I do not have to have cats.. YAY!

So I just have to make sure it meats the Federal EPA standards (49 state) and not the CA emissions.. Sweet..

78brownbronco
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
thats good to hear...glad my baby(its my old pickup he has) is goin to be put to use once again..

Spectre
02-24-2006, 04:01 AM
Hey Dwight.. You finally made it over here to the good site..

Now all you have to do is man up and sell the Nissan.. :)

Now that I see you're here I'm going to just start pm'in you on this site so I can stop going to the nissan site and remind myself that I sold my nissan. :(

But this truck rocks :rockon

miesk5
02-24-2006, 10:23 AM
great!...gl!

78brownbronco
02-24-2006, 05:03 PM
lol ya..i cant sell my nissan yet..my bronco still has a tranny leak...and i need to put some 33s or 35s on it yet. but the nissan would be good to keep around i think...probly do a lil better on gas then the bronc