: D-Con and Mice. Question.

godless
11-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Lets just say someone was cleaning around their house and found a nook or hole where they thought mice could get in.
So in the nature of being thorough, they throw a box of D-CON rat and mice killer in the hole before they permanetly seal it.
Then a week later the kitchen reaks of dead mice!:banghead

How long does it take for mice to decompose and for the smell to go away?

This is under my foundation, beneath the kitchen floor. I dont have any way of getting underneath the floor without ripping out my stone tile work.

The smell is herendous, and of course the timing couldnt be worse, I have family from out of town for thanksgiving, and since this odor is in the kitchen , everyone will have to suffer it.

Any suggestions besides candles, spray, etc.?

jerelight
11-22-2006, 04:59 PM
None that I can think of except open windows to get fresh air moving around, Febreeze, Lots of candles, clothes pins for noses.
I am also on a current mice extermination mission...damn things have gotten into my attic ( I think they crawled up the AC lines) Just killed 4 in two days in traps, cleaned one out this morning and saw two run across my attic floor.
I need cats, but the wife is allergic to them.....might have to convince her to start getting shots.

solidpvc
11-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Stinking little ba$tards. I had a mouse in the attic and also went the dcon route. The little $hit died and I couldn't find him anywhere. The smell was in my daughters room (she was about 2 at the time) and it was cold outside as well.

Anyway, I had to move her out into the living room because the funk was so bad. I left the window open in that room, closed the door and put a towel under the door so the odor wouldn't sneak out. Took about 2 weeks for the smell to go way. It was horrible.

Good luck. I couldn't find it and nothing, I mean nothing would get rid of the smell except for open window and time. No more dcon for me. Just traps.

Solid.

Dirtdigger
11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Lets just say someone was cleaning around their house and found a nook or hole where they thought mice could get in.
So in the nature of being thorough, they throw a box of D-CON rat and mice killer in the hole before they permanetly seal it.
Then a week later the kitchen reaks of dead mice!:banghead

How long does it take for mice to decompose and for the smell to go away?

This is under my foundation, beneath the kitchen floor. I dont have any way of getting underneath the floor without ripping out my stone tile work.

The smell is herendous, and of course the timing couldnt be worse, I have family from out of town for thanksgiving, and since this odor is in the kitchen , everyone will have to suffer it.

Any suggestions besides candles, spray, etc.?

Don't seal them in.Most of the time they come out of hiding just before they die.You'll find'em on the floor in the morning.Not very pleasant ,but at least you can dispose of them.They dry up relatively fast.Until then....http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:5wKlZ3m7oFKYjM:http://www.american-rhinologic.org/images/clothespin.gif

godless
11-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Well, hind sight is 20-20 right?

I sealed up the hole because I didnt want mice to get in, and I just threw some d-con in there to be on the safe side. I didnt think I had mice in the house, so yeah, now I am paying for it. When I tried to lock them out, I locked them in.

I just cant believe how f*Cking bad it smells. I mean, it smells like I killed a farcking crew of 50.
I called my friends dad who is an apartment complex maintenance manager person guy, and he said tht this time of the year its the worse, cold outside, wrm inside, and with everyone baking, and cooking, its a no brainer why they want to get in your house. He also said that no matter how nice your house is, they will always find a way in. They can crawl up poles, and walk across ac lines. Hell, the way they get on cruise lines is amazing. The little critters walk up the docking rope and into the boat.

He also said that in this day and age its probably not a good ide that your cat eat them. They carry a lot of disease, and it can really make fluffy sick.

imlikeojnow
11-22-2006, 07:29 PM
i did the same thing and it took about two months for the smell to completely go away. it freakin sucks but that is what it is. now i dont use that shit i use traps and smoke bombs under the house. i also let about 4 corn snakes go underneath the house as well. havent seen any more yet

F1rocco
11-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Flour and bread crumbs...Much safer and cheaper then Dcon...Acts like cement in the stomach to mice and rats...Dog and cat and baby friendly...

godless
11-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I now think that one died in the vent. Everytime the heater kicks on, you can smell it coming out of the vent.

The smell is starting to die down, I hope its gone in a week.

78F150!!
11-24-2006, 07:18 PM
f1rocco..could you go into a bit more detail? thanks

NOBS!
11-25-2006, 12:17 AM
if it's under the floor, find a spot you can drill an access hole and blast lime in there with compressed air and a sandblasting gun.

metal1313
11-25-2006, 02:11 AM
theres a more ghetto way of doing that, the lime thing, if its really bad take a peice of copper flex tubing, lime and a funel and a peice of tape, line scotch tape so it comes off, load the pipe with lime and sake it in and the blast the compressor and the tape will fly off. i acutally made a little lime canistor with a 32oz bottle of gatorade and some spare valves i had

gashog
11-25-2006, 02:40 AM
For mice, ask about a poison that makes them thirsty, leave it, and a deep pan of water on the floor.....they drink till they drown, you ll find them in the sink, toilets and any standing water you have in the house......and plug holes with steel wool.....they may eat thru it but their stomachs will be sliced to hell and they will die. Steel woll can be used as a fill for holes around the house once they are gone for sure.:popc1:

El Kabong
11-25-2006, 03:32 AM
I worked in a hardware store that sold d-con and had a rat chew into a new box on the shelf. It was bad. We tore the place apart, couldn't find him, and had to live with the smell for 2-3 weeks. I don't know if the smell cleared or if we just got used to ignoring it. Found him behind a built in rack 2 years later when we moved.

Don't know much about mice, but with rats if there is one, there are probably others. Keep putting traps out even after you think they are gone. Don't use the sticky board traps, they leave you with a live, frightened, very stuck rodent to deal with. At my last job we had trouble with rats, but eventually got rid of them all. We found that snap traps with snickers candy as bait worked best. Smells like peanuts and the caramel sticks to the trigger on the trap so they can't steal it. Warm a piece of the snickers up a little so that it sticks. The last rat was so smart that we had to cover the bail with paper and lay wood around the trap so that the step up wouldn't give it away.
I realize this doesn't solve the smell problem, but trapping them may avoid it in the future.
Good luck,
Ken

sammy_o0
11-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I love our kitties! Our house used to have a huge rodent problem but we couldnt put our poison because we had some curious dogs lying around. We just dealt with it, they couldnt get into our food so we were all good. Then we got Silver. She is the meanest cat to mice/birds/small animals/injured buzzards/ etc. She used to stay at the house and every time she'd kill smoething shed grab it and jump on a ledge on our front door to show off her kill (the ledge is right in front of a window in the door) She's moved to the barn since because she hates other cats and we've gotten 2 since then. She's really smart too. We have horses and we feed em in those rubber tubs outside on the ground. She'l hide in those and wait for the birds to come and nibble on the horse feed that fell out of the horses mouths. And then the bird is no more. Poor birdie... but hey no rats/mice/gophers so its all good. :)

gashog
11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
As far as a bait goes, try a glob peanut butter on the snap traps. We had a rat problem in our barn and peanut butter was the best bait we used. :popc1:
Like Kabong said, if you have one you prolly have ten.

Msuforeman
11-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Jer

I just went through this same ordeal in my attic. I put out some dcon in the attic and of course the rat died in the attic and of course it smelled like a bag full of azzholes. I went up in the attic 4 or 5 times and I finally found the stinking son of a bitch under some insulation last night. I called our pest guy that I have used for 10 years and he said NEVER PUT DCON IN THE ATTIC, like you hindsight is 20-20. I just told him yesterday to come to my house and please help me find it because it was horrifically smelling our house up. I thought I would give it one more try in the attic and I finally got it. I will use traps from now on plus I will find where the bastard got in. Also, my pest guy did tell me if it falls in a wall you could smell it for months and that he had countless times had to tear through sheetrock to get a decomposing rat/mouse out of a wall.

Good luck brother,
Brian

jermil01
11-30-2006, 09:10 AM
You're lucky it's just mice...I had three dead fawking rats in the wall at my old town home. Turns out the next door neighbor decided she would bait them. Well they died in the wall. Called a guy who came out and was able to remove them. Had to cut a couple of small holes, but it was worth it, that was the worst smell on earth. He had cut another hole in the ceiling over my utility closet and a dead rat fell out of there as well. They were making nests in the insulation between the walls..Man that was nasty.

For mice, I bet the smell will go away a lot sooner, but rotting flesh is rotting flesh it pretty much stinks the same.

87EBBronco
11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
While in FL we had a squirel die in our attic. Right at the juction of the hallway and our sons room. When we would shut the door to his room the smell would lessen some so we blamed it on his room. The smell went away in about 2 weeks, coincedentally this was about 3-4 days after he cleaned his room. Found the mummified carcass in the attic 4 years later.

Froggmann
11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
You are lucky these are mice and not rats. At work we got one in the IT space. Smart little bugger too. So far it has avoided all snap traps and now the sucker is so big the glue traps have no effect whatsoever. In fact I think it's mocking me now... It left a big butt print in the glue trap I set out on tuesday.

godless
11-30-2006, 09:42 PM
, Well for now the smell is gone. OR I have just got used to it.

However, it isnt the first thing I smell when I walk through the door. In fact I kinda forgot about it until I seen this post again.

You know, through this, and many other frustrating home owner crap, it makes you wonder why everyone gets so crazy about owning a home.
I have talked about this in other posts, but I am really starting to look at the town house thing a lot more now. At least if something stinks, I call someone and it gets fixed asap. If the toilet breaks it gets fixed, etc. F*cking houses no matter how new they are always seem to be a money pit.

Froggmann
12-01-2006, 01:20 AM
You know, through this, and many other frustrating home owner crap, it makes you wonder why everyone gets so crazy about owning a home.

Easy, you don't share walls with the next asshole you get to do what you want to the yard, you can do pretty much what you want to the driveway or on the driveway and you don't have to worry about he chain smoking dumbshit in the same building as you burning everything you own because "oh I fell asleep watching blah blah blah"

Another thing you don't have to worry about is fighting with the HOA on getting the little bullshit fixed. Or getting them to pay for their ****ups...

godless
12-01-2006, 01:54 AM
True, but most of the areas here are all ran by HOA's. They get on you about your lawn if you dont mow it every week, your weeds, cars parked around your house, where you park your camper, or quads, the hard water stains from the sprinklers on the siding, etc. It seems that if there is anything wrong, they will bug you about it.
I guess the only good thing about it is, if I want to sell my home, the next door enighbor wont have 15 rusty old trans-am engines sitting on the front lawn. But HOA still gets out of control.