: Hauling Your Dead Deer Down the Street

willjones4
11-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Now, dont get me wrong. I got nothing at all against hunting if you (or someone) eats what you kill. I hunted for years when I had the time. I dont really care for my kids to see a deer bleeding all over the tailgate with its tongue hanging out or gutted and skinned out in the front yard. It kind of upsets them and they are too young to understand. Flame if you must. Does anyone else agree?

JD_Bronco
11-24-2006, 11:00 PM
yes, i hunt in all but you have to keep it somewhat sportsman like. just the little things like that piss people off the most

beequewl
11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
As a child who regularly woke up early in fall mornings to see gutted deer draining outside the kitchen window, i have no problem with it. Have you told your kids where their chicken mcnuggets and cheeseburgers come from? Might be time to have a little "Meet your meat" conversation with them.

Tommy R
11-24-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm with you, Will. There's a time and place for everything. Not every kid can (nor should) stand to see an animal in that condition without the parent being in charge of that kind of potentially traumatic situation. FWIW, I have no issue with hunting, either, but I could do without my kid (if I had one) seeing a dead Bambi starring back at him out of the back of a truck.

Tommy

Broncogirl89
11-24-2006, 11:16 PM
I have no problem with it, grew up hunting and we always harvest what we kill so to speak. I don't force my kids or relatives to hunt. If they have the desire then I will gladly take them with. My nephew for example, I posted tonight in the general area, his dad has not seen or called or sent a card even for his birthday. He has no male figure except for my dad, however, my dad is laid up in the house and can't walk. I have a passion for hunting, not for the trophy but for the meat, love it, Casey my nephew, has a passion for hunting also, I will take him wherever, whenever, he wants, screw his deadbeat dad. I did the gutting out and such for him, but he was proud as could be he got that one. I'd rather eat something I kill and dress out myself than that crap stuff they call fast food.

Broncogirl89
11-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Oh sorry, but I must say I wouldn't care for my kids to see something hanging or whatever in front of them if they are too young to understand. I agree totally with that. And I understand that it is not for everyone, and I would do my best to respect your outlook on that if you were my neighbor.

MikE2
11-25-2006, 12:10 AM
I agree with you. I have no problem looking at anything dead, cut up, blown up, or whatever. In fact most of the time I enjoy it. But I know not everyone wants to look at that, so I have the decency to keep that stuff out of sight from anyone else.
When people do that I think all they want to do is show off their kill. I remember one time I saw a guy with an ElCamino and a deer was straped on to the hood. If that ain't trying to brag about your kill and show it off while you take the long way hoime I don't know what is.

Foghorn
11-25-2006, 12:17 AM
So I guess driving home last week with the head hanging over the tailgate of the Bronco and it's nose painted red was way outta line huh???

Mine are usually packed in ice by the time I leave camp... All you can see is the coleman coolers stacked in the back-----Fog

willjones4
11-25-2006, 03:41 AM
its one thing to be legitimately transporting it home. Im talking about parading it all over the place. To Wal-Mart, around the neighborhood. Hang it on a stand in the fromt yard and skin it out. Then leave the head up there for a couple days-stuff like that. Hell, I love gore and hardly anything grosses me out but that's just immature and inconsiderate...

gashog
11-25-2006, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=Foghorn;1075310]So I guess driving home last week with the head hanging over the tailgate of the Bronco and it's nose painted red was way outta line huh???

:histerica :rofl: :histerica

seemoremud
11-25-2006, 07:27 AM
I grew up watching my dad come home with 2 or 3 field dressed deer, with their tounges hanging out, strapped on the back of the 4wheeler(atv). I don't think it scarred me.. He never gave me any kind of lecture what it was about I don't think, I think he just let me figure it out when I started hunting with him when I was about 9.

But I do agree that the parading a dead deer strapped on the hood is a bad idea. I've "paraded" a deer around before, but it was in the truck bed, tailgate up, and I paraded to the people I knew WANTED to see if I had killed anything.

sammy_o0
11-25-2006, 10:52 AM
I've never really thought about that before considering I live in a really rural area and I rarely go through a weekend in hunting season without seeing a dead something or other lying somewhere but I do believe people should consider others when they "parade" their kill. There is a guy who lives next door to the high school who has had a deer hanging from a tree for days. I dont know what the heck he was planning on doing with thta thing but I wouldnt eat it for a million dollars. Maybe he's lazy, but I know all the parents have to be mad with a gutted deer hangin there pratically in the schools front yard.

jrdbronco
11-25-2006, 12:13 PM
it probably wasnt the best thing for him to do, parading it around and such. but if thats what gets his rocks off, theres not a whole you can do. personally i would have either dressed it out at camp or just closed the gate and strung it up in the back yard

Mrs_Deathtrap
11-25-2006, 12:25 PM
I think if you grow up with seeing it all the time and getting involved in helping with the deer then it's not that big a deal, cause your used to it. But seeing Bambie dead and bleeding like that will definatly scare a kid if he's not used it, or doesn't understand. I guess people just don't stop to think of the kids and what it might do to them.

godless
11-25-2006, 12:25 PM
I am on the fence about hunting, and I know a few of you will hate me for saying this, but its just my opinion.

I used to hunt when I was a kid, I have bagged two deer myself. It did teach me to respect the nature, the animal, and of course rifle safety, etc.
However, now I havent hunted since I was a teenager, and I couldnt see myself ever going now.
First off I think that a hunting tag should be bumped up in price just to try and keep the white trash from buying them. I seen this too much, bunch of red neck sh!t kickers going out and shooting whatever moves. Its BS, and not only does it give true hunters a bad name, it is just plain assnine.

Second I think that hunting should be a lot more regulated, and patrolled.
I really hate poachers, or trophy hunters. There were times when my family and i would be out hiking and would come across a gut shot deer, or a dear that was left there because the antlers werent big enough. You could see boot steps all around it so you know it wasnt one of those "We couldnt find the deer after it was shot" stories.

Third. For the most part it is complete savage, and just proves how slow mankind really is. We are one of the only countries that hunts on a full stomach. Or hunts just for the sake of killing.
I am happy that we live in a day and age where I can go to my butchers and buy a piece of meat. There are plenty of options at the home front, and we are not at a point in society where stores are running out of meat, so we hve to go out and kill for it. This isnt exactly 1852.
I guess I am just a bit more civilized. Oh and I am sure I will hear the BS actics about "Well you never know what kind of disease you will get from buying meat at the store these days". Well, myself, my family, etc. have been buying from stores for many years, and to this day I havent got any funky disease from eating local meat. Plus, if you think about it, killing, and cutting your own meat isnt always the most sanitary thing in the world either. Most of us dont have a full butcher block in our kitchen, so I know a lot of people are just piling the cuts in the sink, on the kitchen table, in the bathtub, etc. before its packaged, now that my friends is the shear cornerstone of sanitary, and class.

Now to be the devils advocate, I also know that without a certain amount of population control on deer, that it would actually be worse. Deer would come into cities looking for food, and/or have a lot more cars hitting deer on the roads. So yes, I do agree to some form of hunting for population control, but like I said imho it should be a lot more regulated.

Oh and if you do bag anything, I would think its best to keep it out of sight from anyone, especially children.

Steve83
11-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't have a problem with anyone killing animals for food, and I don't see any reason to "hide" your kill. Likewise, it's pretty childish to "parade" it. But I gotta say that it's up to PARENTS (not hunters) to explain not only hunting & the sight of dead animals to children, but also any OTHER sight that might not be pleasant or easy for kids to understand. Like TV advertising, video games, politcal campaigns, anything on the internet, & the evening 'news'. Don't lay it off on the neighbor because you're uncomfortable bursting your kid's bubble (literally) about Bambi & dinner. Do you shield your kids' eyes when they see people shopping for Christmas gifts, too?

Making hunting more expensive would only make it MORE a sport for the rich instead of an affordable alternative for those who may not want to spend money on something they can do for themselves. You might as well make Craftsman tools more expensive so people don't mess up their neighborhoods with half-repaired vehicles & oil dumped in the gutters. How bad is THAT for kids to be around?

Hunting is FAR from 'savage', and why would you blame the people who actually want to consume the meat for being the ones to kill it? Why not slow down production of commercially-slaughtered meat? Those people aren't THAT hungry, so they don't need to kill 5000 animals a day. Hunters (generally) only kill what they need themselves for their personal consumption. What could be more noble & ecological than that? You only favor the slaughterhouses because they do it indoors. "See no evil..." right? Kinda hypocritical when you think about it, isn't it?

Remember that shielding kids from reality only makes it that much more shocking for them when they get older. Kids learn fastest when they're young, so tell them the truth from the beginning, and they'll have a lot less trouble growing up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hunting for food, but I agree that it doesn't need to be put on public display around those who aren't interested.

sewiv
11-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Plus, if you think about it, killing, and cutting your own meat isnt always the most sanitary thing in the world either. Most of us dont have a full butcher block in our kitchen, so I know a lot of people are just piling the cuts in the sink, on the kitchen table, in the bathtub, etc. before its packaged, now that my friends is the shear cornerstone of sanitary, and class.

Ummm, no, you throw it in the cooler. An entire deer fits in a 50 quart cooler, no problem. If you bother to cut it yourself at all. It's all of $50 to have it done for you, if that.

Now to be the devils advocate, I also know that without a certain amount of population control on deer, that it would actually be worse. Deer would come into cities looking for food, and/or have a lot more cars hitting deer on the roads.

Errr, I guess Utah is very different from Michigan. We have 65,000+ car-deer accidents a year, with some 1500+ injuries and 10+ deaths resulting. We have nearly 2 million deer in the state, we kill almost 500,000 a year, and really we need to do better than that. There are parks in some of the suburbs of Detroit where the estimated deer density is over 100/square mile, which is ridiculously overcrowded. Yards and parks are systematically stripped bare.

So yes, I do agree to some form of hunting for population control, but like I said imho it should be a lot more regulated.

Oh and if you do bag anything, I would think its best to keep it out of sight from anyone, especially children.

Yes, because we sure do want a lot more government interference in our lives, don't we? And we have to protect the poor innocent children that of course are vegetarian and don't ever do anything that causes the death of another living thing. You know, like eating meat. Or wearing leather. We have to be sure to shield them from the nastiness of that mean old reality, so they can live in their safe sugar-plum fantasies for their entire life, with daddy and mommy keeping away all the badness.

Back to the original subject:

Around here, the local sporting goods stores, including Cabela's, all have kill trees, and competitions for the biggest buck on the tree. You can drive by and see dozens of dead deer hanging, if you feel like it.

I've never really been one for shielding children (or anyone, really) from reality, though.

MikE2
11-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Yes, because we sure do want a lot more government interference in our lives, don't we? And we have to protect the poor innocent children that of course are vegetarian and don't ever do anything that causes the death of another living thing. You know, like eating meat. Or wearing leather. We have to be sure to shield them from the nastiness of that mean old reality, so they can live in their safe sugar-plum fantasies for their entire life, with daddy and mommy keeping away all the badness.

I agree with you, but theres no reason to be showing it off to anyone that doesn't care to see it. Have the decency to respect other people and not rub things like that all in their face.

sewiv
11-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Parading it around is stupid, but hauling it home and dealing with it shouldn't matter as much as it seems to. It's just another dead animal.

Potamus
11-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Jeremie, I know that a lot of states don't have it as bad as we do here in the fertile valleys, but our deer population is actually higher than when the Indians inhabited the region. Sure, we don't need the meat (we have some of the best dang hog you will find anywhere), but we do need folks to help control the population. I, for one, wish they would lift some of the limits for deer hunting at least long enough to get the deer out of city limits. Besides, just because you can get grapes at the grocery store doesn't mean it's not nice to occasionally go pick some wild blackberries. My brother and I both love deer meat, but we have neither the time nor equipment (or really the care) to hunt it ourselves. We do, however gratefully accept when one of our friends offer us some.

[rant] I do however think that it is pretty messed up to go parading a kill around like everyone wants to see it. I have no problem with seeing dead things, people included. But I know that not everyone is okay with it and part of making a hobby part of a functioning society is to make it fit without too much disturbance: don't race on public streets; don't show off your dead critters except to you buddies who want to see 'em; and don't drink and drive. I know that a lot of people feel that because they saw it a lot growing up and are okay, that it makes it alright to show around like a new fiancée, but I've seen a whole mess of things growing up that don't phase me anymore, but I wouldn't wish them upon my worst enemies.

Nickblaze466
11-25-2006, 02:39 PM
how do you know the guy was parading the deer around and not taking it somewhere to be processed? i may have overlooked that while skimming through this thread.

i hunt as much as i can, wherever i can, for as long as i possibly can whenever i get the chance.

i guess where i'm a little foggy with this whole thread - where i come from, normally the deer is gutted where it is shot, or at least close to that location. i do most of my skinning and processing in a garage, not out in the front yard. if you live in a neighborhood, and somebody has a meat pole out front by the road then id say yeah, thats probably not cool.

if you're talking about driving through a rural area and someone has a meat pole next to the garage, or just driving down the road and theres a deer on the back of someones truck, i'm not with you on that. theres a lot of things i don't particularly care to see during my day, and a lot of things i hear about that i choose to ignore, i chalk it up to living in society. give and take brother.

Tommy R
11-25-2006, 02:48 PM
I agree with you, but theres no reason to be showing it off to anyone that doesn't care to see it. Have the decency to respect other people and not rub things like that all in their face.

Bingo.

Steve83
11-25-2006, 04:44 PM
While I agree with your point, I have to question these numbers:...Michigan [has] 65,000+ car-deer accidents a year...and 10+ deaths resulting.According to this unofficial page (http://www.deercrash.com/states/michigan.htm), MI deer have only killed more than 10 people in 2 of the past 14 years. That 65K deer crashes/yr (178/day) looks really high, too, but the stats support it. :shrug
We have nearly 2 million deer in the state, we kill almost 500,000 a year...That's a little ambitious, though. ;) According to your own DNR (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/MICHIGAN_DEER_HUNTING_PROSPECTS_Forecast__Final_9. 27.06_173851_7.pdf), the harvest was slightly over 400K last year, out of an estimated 1.7M.

:rolleyes:
Just bustin' yer balls, man! :histerica

dougs89
11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
i dont parade my kills or anything but they definetely get hung and gutted 50 feet from the road i live on in almost plain view but im on a private drive and i dont think i could possibly offend the a$$hole poacher and his buddies next 2 me or my buddy bill whos 2 places down but if i was in a well seen area im pretty sure i wouldnt leave it danglin from my tree for all the little kids to see, im not gonna shelter my kids theyll know i go out and kill bambi when they are old enough to comprehend it but for the people that dont wanna explain to their kids that your hamburger is made by magix not killin and animal i dont feel like dealing with their chit or all the hippie, treehugger, vegatarian bull$hit neither

Mike81
11-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I have been an avid hunter for about 20 years and have taken maybe 40-50 deer over the years along with many other big game animals in Alaska. As a matter of fact I just quartered a deer and put in on ice about 2 hours ago.
But I totally disagree with parading or "showing off" an animal on the road or in public view for anymore than necessary. I put mine in the bed of my truck and close the tail gate to transport. When i see one propped up on a trailer or strapped to a four wheeler that is on a trailer/truck it bothers me, it's in poor taste. I also don't think your showing any respect to the animal or other folks who may not disagree with hunting, but would rather not see a dead deer staring at them 10 ft away driving down I65. A young child who sees and is not used to being around a hunter may get the wrong idea about hunting and possibly be turned off from ever giving hunting a chance when they are older. My $.02...

sewiv
11-25-2006, 06:20 PM
While I agree with your point, I have to question these numbers:According to URL="http://www.deercrash.com/states/michigan.htm"] this unofficial page[/URL], MI deer have only killed more than 10 people in 2 of the past 14 years. That 65K deer crashes/yr (178/day) looks really high, too, but the stats support it. :shrug

I just grabbed the numbers out of the first thing I found online, which happened to be a study from 2003, which was one of those 10+ years.

The 65K thing I knew already, though. It's on posters in our rest areas, among other things. And it's not really 178/day, it's more like none at all most days, and then a thousand or two a day for a month or two straight.

That's a little ambitious, though. ;) According to your own DNR (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/MICHIGAN_DEER_HUNTING_PROSPECTS_Forecast__Final_9. 27.06_173851_7.pdf), the harvest was slightly over 400K last year, out of an estimated 1.7M.

Again, I was looking at a different year, this one (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153--127109--,00.html), which was 450K. Almost 500K. Add in the dead deer from the 65K car crashes, you'd get pretty close. That 1.7 looks low, I saw 1.8 to 2M online. Haven't you learned not to trust the DNR? :toothless

I literally typed in "michigan deer population" in Google and went with whatever I found on the first page of returns. It all was close, I know.

:rolleyes:
Just bustin' yer balls, man! :histerica

Just bustin' back. :thumbup

firelt90bronnco
11-25-2006, 09:28 PM
My dad has a Boznian neighbor across the street who slaughters animals in his front yard. I stopped over once just in time to see him hit a living goat in the head with a hammer and cooking it. My dad had to hold me back from going over there with the Bronco's tire iron and killing the guy.

monkeyhouse
11-25-2006, 09:32 PM
its never bothered me because i grew up with hunting, but common courtesy and common sense should tell you to keep the gutting and skinning private. dont let the whole world see you do it. there are folks out there old and young that are sqemish to this type of behavior.

sewiv
11-25-2006, 09:44 PM
My dad has a Boznian neighbor across the street who slaughters animals in his front yard. I stopped over once just in time to see him hit a living goat in the head with a hammer and cooking it. My dad had to hold me back from going over there with the Bronco's tire iron and killing the guy.

Ummm. Don't ever go to a slaughterhouse, then.

How do you think cows are turned into steaks?

BigBroncoXLT
11-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Third. For the most part it is complete savage, and just proves how slow mankind really is. We are one of the only countries that hunts on a full stomach. Or hunts just for the sake of killing.
I am happy that we live in a day and age where I can go to my butchers and buy a piece of meat. There are plenty of options at the home front, and we are not at a point in society where stores are running out of meat, so we hve to go out and kill for it. This isnt exactly 1852.
I guess I am just a bit more civilized. Oh and I am sure I will hear the BS actics about "Well you never know what kind of disease you will get from buying meat at the store these days". Well, myself, my family, etc. have been buying from stores for many years, and to this day I havent got any funky disease from eating local meat. Plus, if you think about it, killing, and cutting your own meat isnt always the most sanitary thing in the world either. Most of us dont have a full butcher block in our kitchen, so I know a lot of people are just piling the cuts in the sink, on the kitchen table, in the bathtub, etc. before its packaged, now that my friends is the shear cornerstone of sanitary, and class.

Now to be the devils advocate, I also know that without a certain amount of population control on deer, that it would actually be worse. Deer would come into cities looking for food, and/or have a lot more cars hitting deer on the roads. So yes, I do agree to some form of hunting for population control, but like I said imho it should be a lot more regulated.

You think all those staroids are good for you? There is nothing more natural and sanitary than a wild animal.

monkeyhouse
11-25-2006, 10:02 PM
i have no doubt that there are people who hunt just for the sake of it, but me and my family and friends and well basically every person i know hunt for the meat and the various other things you can use. besides, He didnt put them on this Earth for our entertainment.

**edit** butchering your own deer, duck, goose, whatever is more sanitary than opening a package of bonless skinless chicken breasts from HEB.

firelt90bronnco
11-25-2006, 10:03 PM

How do you think cows are turned in to steaks?

Let me set the scene for ya. My dad lives on a busy road, there is no need to kill this goat in the FRONT YARD. Plus, cows aren't hit in the head with a hammer and cooked in a grill that was a 50 gallon drum. If you're gonna do that atleast do it where it isn't a public display. This guy walks a goat on a leash out, ties the leash to the front lamp post and whacks it in the head with a hammer. My job consists of pulling half burnt people out of fires or washing down a stretch of road to clean up whats left of a motorcyle rider who skidded 50 feet before wrapping himself around a light pole. I am no stranger to death or blood, but seeing some asshole whack a goat with a hammer set me off.

Tommy R
11-25-2006, 11:17 PM

How do you think cows are turned into steaks?

Well of course. But slaugtherhouses have walls.

Tommy

jopes
11-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Pics?

:toothless

Nickblaze466
11-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Let me set the scene for ya. My dad lives on a busy road, there is no need to kill this goat in the FRONT YARD. Plus, cows aren't hit in the head with a hammer and cooked in a grill that was a 50 gallon drum. If you're gonna do that atleast do it where it isn't a public display. This guy walks a goat on a leash out, ties the leash to the front lamp post and whacks it in the head with a hammer. My job consists of pulling half burnt people out of fires or washing down a stretch of road to clean up whats left of a motorcyle rider who skidded 50 feet before wrapping himself around a light pole. I am no stranger to death or blood, but seeing some asshole whack a goat with a hammer set me off.

i do get that its probably not the most pleasant thing to see some guy hit a goat on the head with a hammer. have you ever been deep sea fishing? have the fish that come on board meet a louisville slugger. most of the butchers i've seen who come to your place to process meat hit a cow in the face with a .22lr, i'm sure that would be a better option for a goat but not the best for populated areas.

i'm sure in his home country thats normal.

dougs89
11-26-2006, 01:05 AM
, cows aren't hit in the head with a hammer and cooked in a grill that was a 50 gallon drum.

in most slaughter houses its usually a big piece of round steel with a tip through their skulls if it was me id rather be whacked with a hammer

F1rocco
11-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Everything is getting so lame....I would guess roasted duck for the family or a pig roast is probably out of the question as well....Hey junior leave the room while mom violates/stuffs the turkey...Poor kids today missin out on everything.........

jopes
11-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Everything is getting so lame....I would guess roasted duck for the family or a pig roast is probably out of the question as well....Hey junior leave the room while mom violates/stuffs the turkey...Poor kids today missin out on everything.........

Well it really depends if the turkey is dead or alive, and if she strapped something on to stuff it with. :toothless

SigEpBlue
11-26-2006, 03:11 AM
Deer are like f*cking cockroaches around here. I hate the bastards. They should allow hunting in Michigan with RPGs, land mines, and chainguns. The more I see dead, the less I worry about hitting one and f*cking up the Bronco. I think I've already hit my quota anyway: 4 in the past 3 years. :beer

Steve83
11-26-2006, 04:43 AM
...cows aren't hit in the head with a hammer...You've never actually BEEN to a slaughterhouse, have you? :rolleyes: It's much worse than just a hammer. Chickens die even more gruesome deaths.

ToddACimer
11-26-2006, 04:48 AM
I saw a deer seat belted in the passengers seat of a taurus today on 294 in Chicago, I laughed histerically, but at the same time what kind of a crazy SOB wants to ride with a deer in the passengers seat for several hundred miles?

Tommy R
11-26-2006, 12:16 PM

While I see your point and agree, I think you might be missing the point some of us are trying to make here. It's not about sheltering your kids from everything. It's about discussing certain topics with them when you're ready to, not because someone else did something which necessitated the conversation sooner than you'd prefer to discuss that topic with your kids.

Tommy

BigBroncoXLT
11-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I guess I am somewhat with ya'll on the whole deer on the hood issue. I put mine in the back of the truck and hang them in the garage, but I can't promise you that my bumper isn't blood red. I don't however feel that I need to hide dead deer from anyone.

How did the indian kids faire when they saw a deer killed and the whole process? Jesus people, let your kids off the leash and experience life. If Kroger wern't around I bet the human population in america would fall rapidly.
I hope that all the parents in the world are proud of there final product, a child that can't honestly care for itself without the help of the grocery store.
If it isn't a computer or a video game gun they probably don't have a clue how to use it.

"Hey ma, where is the A button on this gun"

End of Rant..

mg74se
11-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Cows are killed more inhumanely than deer. MOST of us actual hunters prefer to put the deer down in 1 shot. I dont like it to suffer.

But also when we bring the deer back, there are many times that we have the deer heads hanging out the side of the truck bed. Try loading a ATV and 6 deer into a 8 foot truck bed along with hunting boxes and see if you can make it fit without hanging a head out. I'd like to see you try. plus if you have a big trophy buck, you dont want the antlers to get damaged.
I dont kill anything i dont intent to eat. Bambi goes in the freezer next to the ducks the geese and the pheasant. Sometimes Dove too, but thats an entirely different matter.
And if I get a big buck, he goes on a mount and on the wall. but he also goes in the freezer.

Stop coddling the kids and maybe we'll have a chance in hell of having someone decent run the country instead of some sissy who dont do what is necessary. Then we'll get a whole bunch of anti hunters coming up because when they finally see a dead animal when they're in high school they'll start being massive hippocrites and complaining about cruelty to animals while they eat their steaks and cheeseburgers.

godless
11-26-2006, 01:36 PM
I think most have made good points. I knew my view wouldnt be the most popular, but its just my opinion.

I still think that parading your kill around is rediculous, and this notion of "We shouldnt hide anything from the kids" is kind of rediculous. People should be able to choose what they want to see. I am not for censorship is anyway, but feel strongly that if you dont like what your hearing on the radio, change the station, and if you dont like whats on tv, change the channel.

To me parading your dead carcus around town for everyone to see is like spray painting "Jesus is a C U N T" on your hood.
I think they are both stupid ways of showing off your views or feelings.
Should we hide the word "C U N T" from our kids too, IMO sure, some of you may think thats ok, but If we are going to call people hypocritical, why not be wide open about it, and not have two standards?

Calisa1969
11-26-2006, 01:48 PM
As a child who regularly woke up early in fall mornings to see gutted deer draining outside the kitchen window, i have no problem with it. Have you told your kids where their chicken mcnuggets and cheeseburgers come from? Might be time to have a little "Meet your meat" conversation with them.

I also grew up with my dad deer hunting. He used to take us with him too. I do remember seeing the deer strung up and being gutted, but I remember my dad talking to me about it too. It was more gross then anything else.

Calisa1969
11-26-2006, 01:49 PM
its one thing to be legitimately transporting it home. Im talking about parading it all over the place. To Wal-Mart, around the neighborhood. Hang it on a stand in the fromt yard and skin it out. Then leave the head up there for a couple days-stuff like that. Hell, I love gore and hardly anything grosses me out but that's just immature and inconsiderate...

Yah, that's pretty much in poor taste.

MyFullSize
11-26-2006, 06:33 PM
City folk, worried about the emotional scars that will haunt the city kids.

MyFullSize
11-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I still think that parading your kill around is rediculous
I gotta agree on that too... Theres a lot of imature people in the world... Instead of parading the kill, they should be headed home to dress it and prep it for the freezer... steaks and burger. A real hunter isnt worried about showing it off, he gets the kill, does the duty and is back in the woods. But, we all know, not many are mature in such a way... Hunting is like anything else, and everything else. The idiots invade every sport and activity. :popc1:

AKBearMoose
11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
I am on the fence about hunting, and I know a few of you will hate me for saying this, but its just my opinion.

I used to hunt when I was a kid, I have bagged two deer myself. It did teach me to respect the nature, the animal, and of course rifle safety, etc.
However, now I havent hunted since I was a teenager, and I couldnt see myself ever going now.
First off I think that a hunting tag should be bumped up in price just to try and keep the white trash from buying them. I seen this too much, bunch of red neck sh!t kickers going out and shooting whatever moves. Its BS, and not only does it give true hunters a bad name, it is just plain assnine.

Second I think that hunting should be a lot more regulated, and patrolled.
I really hate poachers, or trophy hunters. There were times when my family and i would be out hiking and would come across a gut shot deer, or a dear that was left there because the antlers werent big enough. You could see boot steps all around it so you know it wasnt one of those "We couldnt find the deer after it was shot" stories.

Oh and if you do bag anything, I would think its best to keep it out of sight from anyone, especially children.:histerica Umm...better go back to the country club and have another martini :histerica

These were ALL good eating...and lean, wild meat is heart smart so eat up boys & girls

:histerica

firelt90bronnco
11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
I saw a deer seat belted in the passengers seat of a taurus today on 294 in Chicago, I laughed histerically, but at the same time what kind of a crazy SOB wants to ride with a deer in the passengers seat for several hundred miles?

The guy is now eligable to ride in the HOV lane:histerica

92blackxlt
11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
My dad hunted, I grew up around it too. My grandparents had farms. I don't have kids (yet), and would certainly want them to understand where thier meals come from. From the hamburgers and milk to the corn. That said, just in poor taste to gut a deer in your front yard (unless you're in the middle of nowhere). There's a time and place for things. Maybe kids SHOULD be shielded from somethings. Heck, they're having kids at 10 and shooting each other like it's nothing. Understanding and reveling in is different....Just IMHO.

muddinmike
11-26-2006, 10:36 PM
I skinned out a deer haloween night for all the kiddies to see :goodfinge

Steve83
11-27-2006, 03:16 AM
Should we hide the word "C U N T" from our kids too, IMO sure, some of you may think thats ok, but If we are going to call people hypocritical, why not be wide open about it, and not have two standards?So you really can't see a difference between publicly displaying an illegal vulgar word as an insult to a popular religious figure, and transporting food home? :wacko

TxTaurus74
11-27-2006, 11:05 AM
I get upset when I see yard companies driving around with tree trimmings on their trailer...I wouldn't want my kids to see that trees and grass got murdered..... :toothless

Note: I am an advid hunter and have no problem with deer hanging off of trucks and trailers...I like to see what people have killed...and at least here that head better be with the meat if a game warden stops you before it gets home to the freezer...

godless
11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
:histerica Umm...better go back to the country club and have another martini :histerica
:histerica

Sure, and while I am there you can bring it to me WAITER. :goodfinge *JK*.

I should also note that I enjoy most of the meat too, so its not that either. My favorite is elk burger, Moose Roasts, and anything buffalo.

If you want to status me as the "country club" type, then I will say this:
I guess I am just the type that doesnt have to kill everything I eat.

I have enough money to just buy what I want.
Its nice that my wife and I have made a life for ourselves that doesnt require pinching pennies on meat.
If we want porterhouse, we eat porterhouse, if we want tenderloin, we eat tenderloin, etc.

I am just thankful that I havent come to that standard of living.

I am happy with who I am and what I eat. If you are happy doing what you do and eating what you want, then that is f*cking cool in my book.
ITS JUST A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION AND LIFESTYLE.

Plus I just think I am cooler than you guys. (Said in my best Cartman voice).

poopy_pants
11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Its just a dead animal. Kids see worse on their video games or TVs daily.

godless
11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Here is another view at it:
People who dont kill what they eat:
http://www.cojeco.cz/attach/photos/lide/Gates_389873/Bill-Gates-1max.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1040000/images/_1043501_welch300.jpg

People who think they have to kill everything they eat:

http://www.mugshots.com/IMAGES/Mugshot__TED-NUGENT.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0972132104.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Both parties have made a decent living for themselves financially.
However, the first two are known worldwide as intelligent business mogals who have revolutionaized the way we all live and run business. Without those two men, we would be at a lesser state of civilization than we are today BARNONE.

The latter two well, not exactly the "Fortune 500" type now are they...
Without Ted Nugent, and Chuck Adams we would be without: a 1 hit wonder, known for really terrible sounding music, and some dickhead who thinks he has to kill everything with his bow and arrow that walks the face of the earth.

Now, all four people are great people, its just what standards they decided to live by, and my friend, I prefer the Bill Gates, and Jack Welch approach.

Oh and, :goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge I mean this all light heartedly.

poopy_pants
11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Dick Cheney hunts and eats what he kills, he isn't poor and unsuccessful. He is the second most powerful man in the world.

godless
11-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Dick Cheney hunts and eats what he kills, he isn't poor and unsuccessful. He is the second most powerful man in the world.

He eats humans?:goodfinge

sammy_o0
11-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I know there are some retards out there who hunt for the killing part of it but honestly, I dont know any who do. Everyone I know hunts for the meat. Now you might say I'm happy I can go buy my meat but where can you get deer meat? The only place we can get deer meat is a little homemade bag of deer jerky at a local Exxon and we live in a really rural area. The only other reason someone around here shots a deer that hasnt been talked about at all is killing a deer because it's inbred. There are quite a few inbred deers around here that need to be out of the bloodlines. Some of them aren't that messed up (just have screwed up horns, that can pose a threat to the deer itself) but there are some realy freaks of nature out there. Just a couple of weeks ago, a man killed a 8 point doe on my grandmother's place. I'll probably think of something else later to say but that's it for now. :)

Oh yea, the more stuff, are you saying only unsucessful people hunt and eat the meat? Are you saying I should'nt hunt so I can be sucessful? I should just let the deer be and for population control we can bring back wolves and hope they dont kill our cows because lord knows we gotta have meat to BUY?

Steve83
11-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Without Ted Nugent, and Chuck Adams we would be without: a 1 hit wonder, known for really terrible sounding music, and some dickhead who thinks he has to kill everything with his bow and arrow that walks the face of the earth.First: Uncle Ted isn't a "dickhead". :twak

Second: Chuck Adams had 1 hit??? :shrug

godless
11-27-2006, 08:56 PM
You guysare taking wht I am saying to lyterally. LOL.

Steve: You got them backwards. Ted Nugent had 1 hit, its called Cat Scratch Fever.

Chuck adams thinks he has to kill everything in site.

OK, let me say this. I dont hunt, because I dont think I have too to get by.
I am not against hunting, just against sporting it so much, and against the redneck aspect of it.
No, hunting isnt just for poor people.
No, hunting doesnt make you a redneck, or less of a person, or a better person.

Those things I am serious about.

Now when I say Bill Gates is a better person than Ted Nugent, that is doen out of light heart hearted humor. Who am I to say who is better? I am no god?
SO please, I say this crap with a smile on my face. I am not trying to get all bleeding heart liberal on you right wing f*ckers :goodfinge

sammy_o0
11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
You must not of gotten what I meant. I'm not saying they're hunting so they dont die of starvation. I'm trying to say they're hunting because you cant go in your local grocery store and pick up a pound of deer meat like you can beef. You might be able to where you live, but I've never been to a store that sells deer meat or even heard of one. See what I mean?

Not trying to sound like a prick and I apologize if I sounded like a prick in the last post but it's kinda hard to tell if someone joking around or not unless they type it and I was seriously about to back slap ya! :)

godless
11-27-2006, 09:36 PM
No, I was mostly just saying about the whole pic of things there sammy. I know exactly what you are saying. And actually IIRC, the only place where they can legally sell wildlife meat is on a reservation. However, even on most reservations the red man wont sell the white man their kill because of their beliefs and what have you.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that is the case, which is why you cant buy elk, moose, venison, etc. at your local butchers. I think the only exception to the rule is buffalo. That is the only meat I have seen sold commercially but its not common.

TTYTT though I really never got a taste for venison. Like I mentioned before, I really like Moose roast. One of my favorite dishes. Tender like a good roast, with none of the fat.
I also love buffalo burger. Everytime I eat at this local pub here (Squatters) I get a buffalo burger. In fact nothing says lovin like a BBQ Buffalo burger, with a quart of Oatmeal stout!

black94
11-27-2006, 09:48 PM
I grew up in the middle of michigan and i thought everyone carried their deer publicly on their way home!"jk" I haven't seen it so much of late but when i was little everybody stuck their deer on the roof or trunk or even on the hood. I never thought a thing of it and it honestly never occured to me my children would either-in fact my kids saw a dead deer the other day at our local lumber yard and neither one acted funny at all-just had to correct them that it wasn't a horsey on the rack of the four wheeler in that guys trailer...
I think it has a lot to do with your geographic placement but don't you see a dead animal at least once a week on your local roadway? In Michigan I see at least one ROADKILL a DAY in my 12 mile ride to work- what do you tell your kids about that unavoidable sight? Not trying to be a jerk just trying to provoke a few thoughts from the "other" side ...
I like the thrill of the chase in hunting and the the thrill of the taste when eating it. Maybe I just have animal tendencies but I eat whatever i shoot unless it is a porcupine, possum, skunk, or coon. And if someone ever comes in my house with ill intent and i shoot them i won't eat them either!
I personally like ted nugent's music but i am from michigan so ...
I don't think it is right to gut a deer in your front yard if you live anywhere but a trailer park>joking!< but it isn't out of the ordinary to see in Michigan.
This is my OPINION and if you don't like it we live in a free country made that way by God,guts, and guns so you can disagree-:beer
Oh and we have plenty of LAWS regarding hunting but that doesn't seem to matter to the CRIMINALS cuz they don't follow laws-it just makes it a bigger pain for the rest of us.
We are getting tickets in MI for leaning a loaded gun against our trucks when we return to our vehicles from hunting before we have a chance to unload the gun! Wealready have too many laws that make the jerks in DNR uniforms free to dole out tickets to law abiding citizens instead of busting the criminals-and i am not saying there aren't good DNR Officers but alot of them aren't -I know, I used to be a DNR employee...

MikE2
11-27-2006, 11:40 PM
I shoot woodpeckers and squirrels whenever I can because they aren't good for anything but pissing me off. Its fun

Redwagon
11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
I know there are some retards out there who hunt for the killing part of it but honestly, I dont know any who do. Everyone I know hunts for the meat. Now you might say I'm happy I can go buy my meat but where can you get deer meat? The only place we can get deer meat is a little homemade bag of deer jerky at a local Exxon and we live in a really rural area. The only other reason someone around here shots a deer that hasnt been talked about at all is killing a deer because it's inbred. There are quite a few inbred deers around here that need to be out of the bloodlines. Some of them aren't that messed up (just have screwed up horns, that can pose a threat to the deer itself) but there are some realy freaks of nature out there. Just a couple of weeks ago, a man killed a 8 point doe on my grandmother's place. I'll probably think of something else later to say but that's it for now. :)

Oh yea, the more stuff, are you saying only unsucessful people hunt and eat the meat? Are you saying I should'nt hunt so I can be sucessful? I should just let the deer be and for population control we can bring back wolves and hope they dont kill our cows because lord knows we gotta have meat to BUY?

Heres where you can get all different types of meat.
http://exoticmeats.com/

Redwagon
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I shoot woodpeckers and squirrels whenever I can because they aren't good for anything but pissing me off. Its fun

:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica
dont forget about the wild "beer can floats"

jopes
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
squirrls are good fried :toothless

locopny
11-28-2006, 01:33 AM
squirrls are good fried :toothless

ahhhh...this must be how you lure your sheep mates...:popc1:

:goodfinge

BigBroncoXLT
11-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Uncle Ted had more than 1 hit....Do research... I still think he needs to run for president. Most don't like him for his harsh reality outlook, but thats the way life is and for the most part I agree with him over any other political icon out there.

wphillipsbronco
11-29-2006, 08:50 AM
I hope you keep your television turned off. You can probably see more people killed in one night than you would see dead deer in a year. I do think it's childish to parade a kill around but being from the south I guess it's just always been a part of life. In my opinion it is a lot easier to explain that CSI wherever being on while kids play in the room.

Tommy R
11-29-2006, 11:40 AM
At least it's possible to keep kids that are too young from watching shows not appropriate for them, i.e. the parents have control of that. Again, it's not about sheltering kids from the world. It's about letting them get exposed to certain things when they're old enough to understand and the parent can explain it to them. No little kids I know are allowed to watch adult oriented shows on TV for this reason.

bnkrtstk
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Maybe we should cover all the windows on our cars so the kids don't see dead deer, racoons, skunks, groundhogs, etc...on the side of the road.

MuddinBronc
11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
haha there is a dead deer on the side of the highway.. been there a week

sewiv
11-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I drive 3 miles on the freeway to work. 5 dead deer in that 3 miles this week.

Burl Swift
11-29-2006, 03:51 PM
The latter two well, not exactly the "Fortune 500" type now are they...
Without Ted Nugent......a 1 hit wonder, known for really terrible sounding music

I am soooooo going to tell Ally you said that. You'd better bring a mouth peice and a helmet the next time you come over...she's going to kick your ass silly.
:goodfinge